Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift - Super-Pricey?

Comments

• SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Rift is the worst of all it charges money to unlock to wear earrings, that's the worst ever seen in free to play scam not even perfect world does that. By the way I enjoyed Rift as sub game but now it's complete bullshit.
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Rift is the worst of all it charges money to unlock to wear earrings, that's the worst ever seen in free to play scam not even perfect world does that. By the way I enjoyed Rift as sub game but now it's complete bullshit.
    Like I said, I paid only 600 platinum (in game currency) to unlock both earrings, I did not use RL money. To say that "Rift is worst of all" means you haven't played many games. I could tell you a dozen other "F2P" games that are far worse than Rift. I leave P2W games, and I would leave Rift as well if it were P2W, which it's not. You don't even need the earring slot, it just helps to increase your stats, it doesn't even increase your hit lol.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    With patron status, which I don't think is pricey at all if you play a game regularly, I didn't feel like I needed to buy anything. I did have a few gems in my account so I bought an extra minion slot and that's it.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    DMKano said:
    The price of admission is ZERO

The DLCs are new souls which are not needed at all to complete all the content which is again free.

So why spend any money if you don't have to - you can do all dungeons, all raids without spending a dime.

DLCs in Rift = souls, not content  - in otherwords, you don't need to spend any money at all
    Man, you never disappoint.  I'm gonna make an app that records how fast you respond to Trion threads.  It will only be $80.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    syriinx said:
    And don't worry about restarting, with instant adventure leveling is super fast. And after a couple of normal dungeon run from 60-65 you will have all the gear you need to enter expert dungeon.
    And this right here is one of the things thats so wrong with this genre these days...And also shows that developers have no clue.

Throttle all your meaningful character development into simply 'repeat mindless kill tasks' for a few days and bingo, you are max level and onto the gear grind.

And you also dont give a shit about your character and leave just as fast as you came...

(this is a genre wide issue, not a Rift/Trion issue, although IAs are pretty much the most mindless MMORPG 'feature' ever)

Since the game changed so much with the additions of a new archetype(calling) and about 20 new classes(souls) it is best if someone starts from scratch instead of playing an "afk" character.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Like I said, I paid only 600 platinum (in game currency) to unlock both earrings, I did not use RL money. To say that "Rift is worst of all" means you haven't played many games. I could tell you a dozen other "F2P" games that are far worse than Rift. I leave P2W games, and I would leave Rift as well if it were P2W, which it's not. You don't even need the earring slot, it just helps to increase your stats, it doesn't even increase your hit lol.
    I agree that he is clueless as to what "worst kind of f2p" is and he even talks about PWE, the company that sells exclusive pay2win powers in champion online. But how the hell did you unlock ear ring for 600 platinum? It takes 2 REX to unlock ear ring and for 600 plat no one would sell you 2 REX!!! When ear ring slots 1st came out with nightmare expansion, REX were going for 1800P a piece in US server and 2200P a piece on EU. Right now it goes for 3K a piece in US and 4.8K a piece in EU. So how did you unlock ear ring with 600 plat?

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

edited June 2016
    I agree that he is clueless as to what "worst kind of f2p" is and he even talks about PWE, the company that sells exclusive pay2win powers in champion online. But how the hell did you unlock ear ring for 600 platinum? It takes 2 REX to unlock ear ring and for 600 plat no one would sell you 2 REX!!! When ear ring slots 1st came out with nightmare expansion, REX were going for 1800P a piece in US server and 2200P a piece on EU. Right now it goes for 3K a piece in US and 4.8K a piece in EU. So how did you unlock ear ring with 600 plat?
    I was very lucky, lol. I purchased it from the AH several months ago. I transferred shards for the best price; I realize you won't find it for that price anymore. :pleased:

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
    I was very lucky, lol. I purchased it from the AH several months ago. I transferred shards for the best price; I realize you won't find it for that price anymore. :pleased:
    I thought as much. That kind of luck doesn't work for everyone. So your point of getting ear ring for 600Plat doesn't really make a strong argument in the favor of monetizing it.

Do you know how many people were playing before nigtmare expansion? I don't but i do know my server was packed 24/7, many people left in drove when Trion announced they would be monetizing ear ring slot and planewalker gears, even though there was an option back then to achieve it by just playing many many people did not even bother. And not they removed all option to acquire the unlock through game play and made them $$ only when they should have made them available from start to all players.

They are charging expansion price for new souls but then they charge for ear ring and best PvE gears too? That is outrageous. Do you know what is more outrageous? Selling end game crafting mats in cash shop while nerfing their drop rate from crafting rift to less than 5% and playing dumb that they actually did it when data mining shows they totally did.

And more on the list, credits only minion mission giving essence and dream orb which are far better than which we can obtain in game. These essence, if completed whole set does massive damage to enemy below or at 50% hp, in pvp it is insta death. And these dream orbs gives about 100-200% more stats than the best dream orb crafted by crafters.

You still gonna say Rift is not pay2win?

edited June 2016
    I thought as much. That kind of luck doesn't work for everyone. So your point of getting ear ring for 600Plat doesn't really make a strong argument in the favor of monetizing it.

Do you know how many people were playing before nigtmare expansion? I don't but i do know my server was packed 24/7, many people left in drove when Trion announced they would be monetizing ear ring slot and planewalker gears, even though there was an option back then to achieve it by just playing many many people did not even bother. And not they removed all option to acquire the unlock through game play and made them $$ only when they should have made them available from start to all players.

They are charging expansion price for new souls but then they charge for ear ring and best PvE gears too? That is outrageous. Do you know what is more outrageous? Selling end game crafting mats in cash shop while nerfing their drop rate from crafting rift to less than 5% and playing dumb that they actually did it when data mining shows they totally did.

And more on the list, credits only minion mission giving essence and dream orb which are far better than which we can obtain in game. These essence, if completed whole set does massive damage to enemy below or at 50% hp, in pvp it is insta death. And these dream orbs gives about 100-200% more stats than the best dream orb crafted by crafters.

I'm laughing at your comment right now! You first, disagreed with Syriinx now you're disagreeing with me? Yes, I am STILL going to say it's not pay to win; did you not read when I said that "you don't even need the earring slot"? You do not need the new souls or the planewalker gear, etc. jesteralways said: "many people left in drove when Trion announced they would be monetizing ear ring slot and planewalker gears" it's their loss; you could at one time easily purchased the earring slot in the AH for less than 1k plat, and like I said my gear is better than the planewalker gear. You don't need the new souls, so everything you said is completely invalid. What exactly is your point? I guess now you're the "clueless" one.

I'm laughing at your comment right now! You first, disagreed with Syriinx now you're disagreeing with me? Yes, I am STILL going to say it's not pay to win; did you not read when I said that "you don't even need the earring slot"? You do not need the new souls or the planewalker gear, etc. jesteralways said: "many people left in drove when Trion announced they would be monetizing ear ring slot and planewalker gears" it's their loss; you could at one time easily purchased the earring slot in the AH for less than 1k plat, and like I said my gear is better than the planewalker gear. You don't need the new souls, so everything you said is completely invalid. What exactly is your point? I guess now you're the "clueless" one.
    I disagreed with him Rift being the worst, there are worse and i pointed that out. 

And as for your argument, if you want to continue the train of thought "it works for me, so it works for everybody" after saying that you got yours unbelievably cheap(there is no way anybody would sell 2 REX for 600P, someone was drunk when they posted them in AH) by luck, i have nothing more to say.

And i never said we "need" the new souls, i said they are priced same as the price of an expansion, hell the dream soul was once priced same as WoW's latest expansion, so despite having a proper moneitzing system asking money for gears is outrageous.

And earring slot could never be purchased in AH, people had to buy REX and then use them to get credits to buy earring and plaewalker from cash shop. And i already gave you REX price back when ear ring and planewalker came with nightmare expansion. You already said you were lucky to get them for 600P, your luck doesn't apply to everyone else.

But anyways, if you want to live in delusion that is your choice.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    DMKano said:

The DLCs are new souls which are not needed at all to complete all the content which is again free.

So why spend any money if you don't have to - you can do all dungeons, all raids without spending a dime.

DLCs in Rift = souls, not content  - in otherwords, you don't need to spend any money at all
    Man, you never disappoint.  I'm gonna make an app that records how fast you respond to Trion threads.  It will only be $80.
    DMKano should embed it in his signature:

"This comment was generated in 0.030 seconds."

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    syriinx said:
    And don't worry about restarting, with instant adventure leveling is super fast. And after a couple of normal dungeon run from 60-65 you will have all the gear you need to enter expert dungeon.
    And this right here is one of the things thats so wrong with this genre these days...And also shows that developers have no clue.

Throttle all your meaningful character development into simply 'repeat mindless kill tasks' for a few days and bingo, you are max level and onto the gear grind.

And you also dont give a shit about your character and leave just as fast as you came...

(this is a genre wide issue, not a Rift/Trion issue, although IAs are pretty much the most mindless MMORPG 'feature' ever)

LOL! IA's is personally my favorite feature! I've had a lot of fun doing instant adventures and zone events in Rift. IA's require quick thinking and working together with your raid group; the only way I could see someone saying it's "mindless" is if they are going AFK and not helping the group. Yes, for some it may be repetitive, but it's far from "mindless" if you're actually participating in them.
    Maybe they have changed, but when I played Rift 90% of IAs were recycled quests without the quest text (gather 8 of this, kill 10 of that) with the other 10% being 'kill named x'.  Almost all of those gather tasks were from quests you could actually do in the zone.

Everything was about as challenging as a standard Rift (meaning very easily soloed, more people just makes it go faster).  Maybe the nameds might require some healing if there were enough people to scale it up a bit.  They certainly didnt require any kind of tactics.  No sense of progression, no lore, nothing RPGish about them at all.  Just kill and gather with no context and minimal skill.

Maybe they have changed since?  I tried some around the time of the primalist release (granted in the low level zones) and found them as I described above still.  Easily the least engaging content I've ever experienced in an MMORPG.
    d_20 said:
    With patron status, which I don't think is pricey at all if you play a game regularly, I didn't feel like I needed to buy anything. I did have a few gems in my account so I bought an extra minion slot and that's it.
    What you say is true, but I believe Rift is the only AAA freemium game (f2p with sub preferred) that does not give its subbers a stipend of cash shop points.  I think its also the only one that requires them to buy an equipment slot.  

It used to have the best pure f2p experience but its added restrictions for f2p over the years (which frankly is understandable) and its not the king there anymore.  
    syriinx said:
    d_20 said:
    What you say is true, but I believe Rift is the only AAA freemium game (f2p with sub preferred) that does not give its subbers a stipend of cash shop points.  I think its also the only one that requires them to buy an equipment slot.  

It used to have the best pure f2p experience but its added restrictions for f2p over the years (which frankly is understandable) and its not the king there anymore.  
    Why do you need stipend when they give more direct bonus? Most of the freemium that gives stipend don't give subscribers as much direct benefit as Rift does. In rift you can buy subscription with credits and giving credits stipend would be counter productive for Trion. Thus they provide more direct benefit.

About ear ring and planewalker gear, other freemium games like DCUO/EQ2/SWTOR; if you don't have the expansion or dlc you can't equip gears from that dlc, it is the same here but my personal feeling is that i never expected Trion to do something like that, they had a good thing going on and they ruined it.  

syriinx said:
    d_20 said:

Why do you need stipend when they give more direct bonus? Most of the freemium that gives stipend don't give subscribers as much direct benefit as Rift does. In rift you can buy subscription with credits and giving credits stipend would be counter productive for Trion. Thus they provide more direct benefit.

About ear ring and planewalker gear, other freemium games like DCUO/EQ2/SWTOR; if you don't have the expansion or dlc you can't equip gears from that dlc, it is the same here but my personal feeling is that i never expected Trion to do something like that, they had a good thing going on and they ruined it.  
    The point is that in other freemium games if there is something specific you want on the cash shop and are subbed, you can get it *as a result of your sub*.  You cant do that in Rift.  What you are considering direct benefits is the same as saying f2p restrictions if you look at it from the other side.  For instance the artifact tracking thing they originally had as one of the main draws of patron at its inception could have just been a planar ability.

To be honest, I don't have big issues with Rift's DLC.  Its awkwardly done so they can say they don't charge for content which actually makes it look a lot worse than it is.  I just really dislike that they treat their customers like complete idiots (Hey guys!  We buffed patron status! By giving F2P less and not really giving you anything new, isnt that great!).  I don't like the value of patron, but the main reason I dont play Rift is the game itself, not the pay model.  All of the freemium games have pluses and minuses to their pay systems.
    syriinx said:
    syriinx said:
    d_20 said:

The point is that in other freemium games if there is something specific you want on the cash shop and are subbed, you can get it *as a result of your sub*.  You cant do that in Rift.  What you are considering direct benefits is the same as saying f2p restrictions if you look at it from the other side.  For instance the artifact tracking thing they originally had as one of the main draws of patron at its inception could have just been a planar ability.

To be honest, I don't have big issues with Rift's DLC.  Its awkwardly done so they can say they don't charge for content which actually makes it look a lot worse than it is.  I just really dislike that they treat their customers like complete idiots (Hey guys!  We buffed patron status! By giving F2P less and not really giving you anything new, isnt that great!).  I don't like the value of patron, but the main reason I dont play Rift is the game itself, not the pay model.  All of the freemium games have pluses and minuses to their pay systems.
    In Rift, if you want something from cash shop you can just buy it with platinum, just get Rex from auction and boom. And with all the benefit of patron, it is horridly easy to make platinum, i got free 1 week patron and that week i made about 1.3K more platinum than i usually used to make and a result of that i could buy several REX and get 2 months of sub(unfortunately i did not even play 10 days after that, my pc went boom). In other freemium games, you will have to wait several months to accumulate enough cash shop coins before you can buy stuff or shell out large amount of in game cash or shell out more cash, it is not so different here, ultimately end game is the same. But thanks to the direct gameplay benefit Rift patrons get, it makes things uber easy for them, i would prefer SWTOR follow this model than the stipend honestly.

Yes the latest "benefit" to patrons by removing feature from core game and then telling us that they are now "patron benefit" is just simply outrageous and bullshit. I have totally lost faith in Trion, i don't think they will ever turn a new leaf and regain the respect they lost.

edited June 2016

I disagreed with him Rift being the worst, there are worse and i pointed that out. 

And as for your argument, if you want to continue the train of thought "it works for me, so it works for everybody" after saying that you got yours unbelievably cheap(there is no way anybody would sell 2 REX for 600P, someone was drunk when they posted them in AH) by luck, i have nothing more to say.

And i never said we "need" the new souls, i said they are priced same as the price of an expansion, hell the dream soul was once priced same as WoW's latest expansion, so despite having a proper moneitzing system asking money for gears is outrageous.

And earring slot could never be purchased in AH, people had to buy REX and then use them to get credits to buy earring and plaewalker from cash shop. And i already gave you REX price back when ear ring and planewalker came with nightmare expansion. You already said you were lucky to get them for 600P, your luck doesn't apply to everyone else.

But anyways, if you want to live in delusion that is your choice.
    You're incorrect; players were able to sell the earring slot on the AH, and it's considered a service item If you do not believe me ask around. I most definitely was able to purchase the earring slot on the AH. I didn't pay 600p for 2 REX; the lowest REX ever sold for was 950p, and that was at least a year ago.
    Post edited by Allerleirauh on

edited June 2016
    syriinx said: Maybe they have changed since?  I tried some around the time of the primalist release (granted in the low level zones) and found them as I described above still.  Easily the least engaging content I've ever experienced in an MMORPG.
    Have you tried the "Mind of Madness" instant adventures? Most players find MoM to be much more challenging and fun. You have to know when to interrupt/purge, know the mechanics, etc. The instant adventures do eventually repeat, but I find them to be far more exciting.
    Post edited by Allerleirauh on

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198
    DMKano said:

Yeah, sure, but if you want to raid and be usefull to your guild, you will need to spent at least 50-60€ on souls, because some of them are mandatory. At least that is the info I got a month ago, when I asked almost the same question as OP on the official rift forums. Thats only for soul, the complete package is somewhere around 150-240€. This is madness, if you want new players. Look at WoW, 20-40€ and you have everything you need. EVE buy a sub and lets go. GW2 30€ and you can start. FF14 is about the same, depending on where you buy your keys its around 40€. Tera needs only a sub, just like SWTOR. And the list goes on.
  • mmoluvammoluva Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Maybe it's not dead, I was guessing.  Still, I can't understand one DLC pack costing 2 to 2.5 times as much as some new major MMO releases.
    Level 65 BG's pop within 30 seconds or less for 20 hours of any given day.  Disregard anyone that tells you different. 

• ShazbokShazbok Member UncommonPosts: 4
    The original souls that come with the basic game are just that. Basic. You can do well but not really really great. The souls from the dlc are more well rounded and would really pump up your class. If you do a search of the popular builds you'll find all of them have dlc souls in them.
  • SoybeanSoybean Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Gaoxin said:
    DMKano said:

Yeah, sure, but if you want to raid and be usefull to your guild, you will need to spent at least 50-60€ on souls, because some of them are mandatory. At least that is the info I got a month ago, when I asked almost the same question as OP on the official rift forums. Thats only for soul, the complete package is somewhere around 150-240€. This is madness, if you want new players. Look at WoW, 20-40€ and you have everything you need. EVE buy a sub and lets go. GW2 30€ and you can start. FF14 is about the same, depending on where you buy your keys its around 40€. Tera needs only a sub, just like SWTOR. And the list goes on.
    I am not at all disputing what you are saying. There were people in my guild who refused to buy any packages because they were too expensive and they were right. For a virtual items they do not have to be so pricey. Then too, It sounds like you belong to a hard core guilds if you have to have one of those paid for specs. For my guild during raids if someone did not have one of those paid for specs we just did without it. Too be honest, out of the two spec packages that I bought I have not used all of the specs that I could have. I found two that I really enjoyed and just ended up playing those.

The biggest thing to stick in peoples craw was the whole earring debacle. The funny thing was when I bought CE I had the earring slots open but no earrings dropped from any mobs nor any quest. At the time, I was like, what was the point of having earring slots with no earnings. So when I logged back on after a year I ended buying them off the AH. But if I remember right the earrings were only available if you had rep with a certain faction or you could make them but the pattern required special tokens to get. But that was a year ago so I could be wrong.
  • SoybeanSoybean Member UncommonPosts: 111
    edited June 2016
    Hey guys,

I kind of got an itch to give Rift another try.  However, after looking at the store, it seems to have a pretty high cost of admission for a game that no longer gets much hype and probably has a greatly diminished player base.  Am I reading this right, that to get the full experience with all the callings/souls, you're paying a minimum of $150?

http://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/store/

Does that seem right?
    Don't buy the 80$ pack, it is nonsense. If you want to fresh start, then create a completely new account which was never attached to anything Trion. Then go to store and buy the 50$ essential pack that gives :

1. Ear ring slot
    2. Planewalker water
    3. Storm legion souls
    4. Nightmare souls
    5. Primalist calling
    6. 3.6 souls

For 50 $ it is a bargain. And don't worry about restarting, with instant adventure leveling is super fast. And after a couple of normal dungeon run from 60-65 you will have all the gear you need to enter expert dungeon.
    That was the one I bought. They also gave you a few other things with it which  I thought all-in-all it was a good deal.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I'm one of the most prolific Rogues Rift has ever seen and had in PvP. I wrote the book Nightblade and Assassin. I am here to tell you the game has lost its soul. Trion has wrecked PvP to its very core, but Pve is still decent. My in game name was Louiscipher some of the old time PvP players might remember me. I tell you from all honesty stay away from Rift. It is mismanaged and has been become a greed fest. I have fond memories of the game and sometimes return to see the 'state of the game'. It has no semblance of its former self from before the F2P model. The pureness and the straight forwardness of the classes have been tainted and jumbled so much there is no clear path or option to follow from a PvP perspective. Do not invest in this game. The people running the game have mismanaged too many things. Trion has dishonored itself too many times and has brought shame upon themselves and has saddened many of the early players beyond repair.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I would not be in a guild where they would demand this type of investment. Leave guilds that expect you to spend so much money.
    Chamber of Chains