Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift - Super-Pricey?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey guys,

I kind of got an itch to give Rift another try.  However, after looking at the store, it seems to have a pretty high cost of admission for a game that no longer gets much hype and probably has a greatly diminished player base.  Am I reading this right, that to get the full experience with all the callings/souls, you're paying a minimum of $150?

http://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/store/

Does that seem right?

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    $80 for the new DLC?  I must be reading this wrong.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Rift was fun for awhile. It just never caught on. The f2p plan they had was good but now i think Trion must be hurting for money. They just gave away so much stuff in that game.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    $80 for the new DLC?  I must be reading this wrong.
    Lmao. I feel dumb spending money on this game before I hit max level. I spent hundreds too.

R.I.P.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
    Yeah.  I'm just not seeing how another game that was forced to go F2P can charge at this high level for DLC/expansions, whatever you want to call them.  I mean, shouldn't their new DLC be like $30, not $80?  I guess their marketing guys say otherwise.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Trion Worlds really is a complete mess and has terrible management. Sad too because Rift is a great game and has so much potential.

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Yeah.  I'm just not seeing how another game that was forced to go F2P can charge at this high level for DLC/expansions, whatever you want to call them.  I mean, shouldn't their new DLC be like $30, not $80?  I guess their marketing guys say otherwise.
    where were you these last year ??!!! f2p game are more expensive that p2play games

that the reason they all go f2p, they earn more money
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    I subbed all the way up through the first month of Storm Legion. That is where the population of players I knew fell way off. Just based on my observations, there were a lot of people who bought that expansion and supported the game but were discouraged by how it changed and became more grindy. I guess there weren't enough people subbing at Rift's high water mark to keep the game profitable enough in Trion's eyes. I don't know what they were thinking by making SL so grindy.

I've tried to go back many times because I had a lot of good feelings for original Rift, but the game seems more and more dead. I guess they are just milking those who are left and who have already sunk money into the game.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I'm going to download its been a long time since i looked at this game.  But aparently if it was as dead as you think then those prices would impossible.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Maybe it's not dead, I was guessing.  Still, I can't understand one DLC pack costing 2 to 2.5 times as much as some new major MMO releases.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    I dont think any of it is actual content, just classes and in one case gear slots.

I get that they need to make money, but its an EXTREMELY unfriendly system to newbie or returnees.  
  • BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
    I am not gonna lie but I get in here just to read DMK's comments where he can bash BDO's channel being "not crowded" but he won't (and can't) even make it as a comparison to AA's channel/servers. It's funny that everybody would agree rift, to get the full intended contents, is pricy in comparison to others F2P, gated or not i.e. BDO, he can whip up some reasons and make Trion World looks good. 

If he's not getting paid by Trion, I would petition to make him getting paid.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    I am not gonna lie but I get in here just to read DMK's comments where he can bash BDO's channel being "not crowded" but he won't (and can't) even make it as a comparison to AA's channel/servers. It's funny that everybody would agree rift, to get the full intended contents, is pricy in comparison to others F2P, gated or not i.e. BDO, he can whip up some reasons and make Trion World looks good. 

If he's not getting paid by Trion, I would petition to make him getting paid.
    11.5k posts, probably 10k of those praising Trion.

However, he's usually civil and doesn't seem to report people for calling out his Trion love.  Trion could certainly do worse for an ambassador.
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Rift hasn't much future, and Trion's milking it while it can. You can play the game for free, but if you want to do end game content, you're going to need all this stuff put behind paywalls and it's a huge cost to new people.
    Well I just went through a 26 minute queue for battlefront and finally just quit.  I'll give it another try and no servers don't matter because they pool them all together for battlefronts.  But yea those prices are kinda stupid high for what they offer.  But I do believe you can unlock them with game currency.
    filmoret said:
    Well I just went through a 26 minute queue for battlefront and finally just quit.  I'll give it another try and no servers don't matter because they pool them all together for battlefronts.  But yea those prices are kinda stupid high for what they offer.  But I do believe you can unlock them with game currency.
    So there's not enough players to fill a battlefront in 26 minutes?  Is that a PvP match-making thing?
    filmoret said:
    So there's not enough players to fill a battlefront in 26 minutes?  Is that a PvP match-making thing?
    Yes but I am not max level any more and later that night it only took a minute.  So IDK if i feel like trying to see since I burned out on it years ago.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Well you can make enough in game gold to buy pretty much anything in the cash shop you want to. I havent played it in awhile but I was making enough gold in a couple days to buy enough REX to sub for a month or more (left over). I still have quite a few REX kicking around too, but I have only logged in once I think in the past 18 months or so. basically started the water area when it was new and havent been back since. So how ever long that has been.
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    I remember when they first went Free to play, taking pot shots at other companies free to play models.  Theirs is the shadiest greediest conversion of the "Big" western MMOs in my opinion, raid gear in lock boxes "But its only the second highest level gear so its ok" was their response.

Charging for expansion packs that did not include the new classes but advertising the new classes as part of the expansion (cleverly avoiding saying they were part of the pack).  Taking the hugely fun artifact hunts and selling those (Charging obscene amounts for "rare" ones, Rare as in they directly control the supply rare).

I used to be a HUGE fan of Rift, I spent a few hundred Euros (probably around 600+) in a few months mostly on dimensions stuff because that was actually the most fun I have had with MMO housing so far.  

I dont regret my purchases because I make a point never to spend more than I can afford to on games, and at the time I was enjoying it a LOT but I am sad to see just how far down the greed pit they have fallen.

I understand they have to make money, and making money off good will purchases alone is not really a thing, but they way they sell to me feels too slimey.  I swore off them after Nightmare tide souls were not included in the Nightmare tide packs, despite shady advertising that suggested without claiming they were.  

I even bought the smaller Archage pack just to see what the fuss was about, and started to enjoy that until again, they showed their intentions with its cash shop and smoke and mirrors pay to win mechanics.

I wont give Trion any more money while they pursue their current models, despite how much I wanted to play Devillian I did not,  and its the same with Trove.

I used to be a BIG fan of how Trion operated, and now I am just sad to see a company I once respected greatly becoming nothing more than a synonym for "gouge the player"
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    edited April 2016
    If you subscribe do you get all the DLC \'s and Expansions automatically, like ESO?

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Tokken said:
    If you subscribe do you get all the DLC \'s and Expansions automatically, like ESO?
    No, you get nothing. You also get no credits per month. They recently reduced the stuff free players get to make subbing 'more attractive'.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I also heard that to do the new end game stuff you need to buy those new souls. Is this really true?
  • apexdapexd Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Rift's population is still quite healthy.  You'll get access to more content for your buck than any other game out there (which is technically a divide-by-zero problem since you have access to ALL content for free).

Those "DLC's" people have been quoting for high dollar amount are more like "Collectors Editions", as in, you're knowingly paying a higher dollar for "stuff" because you like the game.  
    Base DLC's (such as soul packs) are no more expensive than any other game.

Also, contrary to claims in this thread, the game DOES reward returning players.  The loyalty (which gives you neat stuff like permanent 10% boosts to xp, notoriety, and currency) system retro-actively rewards your for ALL previous purchases you've made before the game went F2P.

There are also systems in Rift that NO other MMO can hold a candle to, like its wardrobe system.  Every item appearance you EVER collect, is stored in an account-wide collection or wardrobe items that don't use any inventory space.   Every item's color can be customized, and you can change your wardrobe any time you want.   I've had my eye out for systems that can compare to Rift's wardrobe, but even MMO's who's primary attraction is "Purty clothes", can't compete.

And the dimension system...  You can model just about anything you can think up.  Google it, people have done amazingly creative things.  And no matter what disgruntled players try to tell you, you DONT have to spend real cash to get into dimensioneering.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    Paying over 150 $ for a game  No fucking way...this game wont last until 2017

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited May 2016
    Psycrovv said:

I don't even play Rift. However, I'm 100% positive you'll be eating those words in 2017. The game has been around since 2011. I'm pretty sure it will last 1 more year.  

Also, where have you been for the last few years? Spending $150 on a game isn't really all that unreasonable anymore.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    DMKano said:
    Psycrovv said:

150 is nothing - you should see people posting their Black Desert online bills over $500 in less than 1 month :)

Also Rift will be here in 2017 - will probably be on 4.x version  

Why is it over 500 $..do they sell drugs in there ?

i did play rift back in the dayz and its a good game..but why the hell so pricy...do they think all gamers has a job like a pilot or rocket scientist ?  I payd 25 $ to get that water world expansion and it looks like that expansion is in the " free to play demo" game now..so i sort of just watsted my money here