Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you pay to play offical WoW legacy servers?

123457»

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    danwest58 said:
    Horusra said:
    Sovrath said:
    danwest58 said:
    Sovrath said:
    He essentially said it, it's not that they wouldn't make some money but they could take the same amount of money and use it to make more money.

Some of us have been saying this ad nauseum.

I'd be curious if you saw that a company within your investment portfolio took "your money" (obviously it's not your direct money) and used it to make a bit more money but then you found out they could have taken that money and more than doubled it, if you would be cool with that?

I wouldn't.
    And this is exactly the reason why publishers don't belong being publicly traded.  First there is 0 guarantee in the gaming world you will make massive amounts of money off of games if you invest in making them.  SWTOR, ESO, Thief, Caslevania, Sims4, Aliean Isolation, Driveclub, Destiny, farcry 4, Sword Cost Legends and so on.  All of these games didnt turn out what they were hyped up to be.  A lot based around trying to get as many people into the game as possible so the company can min max their profits.  Take Sword Cost Legends for example, the D&D crowd didnt like the ruleset and it was likely done to make it easier for new players to get into D&D.  When trying for a larger player base the game had issues.

Publishers should make games because they love to, and their direction should be driven by developers who love games not by stockholders.  
    I can't disagree with this. Heck, I would even say that I would never invest in a game company unless my investment was more about supporting the company and less about actually making some profit back.

But, going public is a large cash infusion and it's tempting to companies that want to stay in business. 
    SWTOR and ESO seem to have made money for investors.....makes me question the posters intellectual integrity
    They only made money when both games went F2P with making anything worth playing the game in the cash shop.  They failed as P2P games.  F2P is not a sustainable model.  

to investors...who cares how they got their money.  If you care more about supporting the company stop calling it investing...cause you are lying...call it donating.  Investing expects a return...thus an investment....donating does not expect a return.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Tamanous said:
    Get this straight people: This is about Blizzard officially supporting a vanilla emulator. It wouldn't be a main stream launch like a new game. They set the rules for (officially) SOMEONE ELSE TO RUN THEM!

why would they even bother? It is not like they are going to make any real money from it, or help their new games to be successful.