Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why or why not play EQ2?

2»

Comments

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,317
    I am doing some research about a few games..

why are you playing EQ2, or why did you quit?

what are your 3 favorite things of this game
    what are your 3 negative things in this game
    please list both possitives and negatives, as well as answer my question..
    I quit and came back years later. I play for the housing, and because it feels like home to me. This is the only MMO that has ever felt that way for me. I still feel a thrill at the music, especially Frostfell. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 6,730
    Ive quit and restarted EQ2 a few times....Its just too quest focused for me....Also it seems to be void of players
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,400
    I quit and came back a few times.  Mostly it was to see new content, new levels, etc.  I tended to quit at max level because there wasn't enough to do. 

I stayed away for good over a draining of my e-wallet with them on a game I thought was cancelled that I originally only looked at for a couple of days, that they kept going for 9 months without notifying me that they were taking money out or etc. (really you should get an email every month regardless if you have funds going out) until it ran out of funds.  THEN they decided to let me know.  So I had a game I hadn't logged into for 9 months that they just took the money for and they wouldn't help me either.  I had saved up enough for an expansion and more of Everquest 2, and yes I was planning on coming back that one more time, but that soured me on the whole thing.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768
    do or do not, there is no why.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Good:
    1.  Best instanced housing on the market by an enormous margin if you like to build/decorate things.  
    2.  Best MMORPG IP.  Sure, it owes everything to LOTR and D&D, and you could say that LOTR (or Star Wars) is the best MMO IP, but those games are limited by their IP.  EQ is not.  Bst collection of races in an MMORPG for sure
    3.  Heritage quests.  Long quests that take you all over the world and into dungeons, often with heavy lore

I could list about 20 other things here, EQ2 probably has more positives to me than any other game on the market

Bad:
    1. Ability bloat
    2. Its managed to get stale.  A lot of this has to do wth it being a 12 year old game, but they havent really tried much new in a while
    3. Expansions have gotten smaller and smaller over the years
  • LunsheaLunshea Member UncommonPosts: 57
    If you like the feel of classic mmorpg's and just want to play very casually, level some, try out lots of different classes and maybe some housing - EQ2 is still one of the best games out there. 100% action combat free, yeah :) 

So if this doesn't scare you away:

1) True endgame only available to a small percentage of the player base (the absolutely most hardcore players). An HUUGE catchup wall made up by (in my opinion) very bad game design choices (tithe and ascencion classes) will make you dead meat and unwanted in most grouping content for at least this (and maybe the next) expansion. Items that dropped in summer events are still BiS, no longer obtainable but yet needed to be competetive for many classes. Gear upgrades for non-raiders mostly available through a handful of repeatable quests with bad RNG.
    2) End game grouping (dungeons) mostly dead due to 1) and a horrible itemization design choices.
    3) End game alt playing - which used to be the true strength of EQ2 - mostly dead due to 1)
    4) Talents and abilities are a complete bloat mess and are very outdated - 300+ talents where most of them haven't been revised and balanced out to be worthy for years. Stats inflation has gone stampede and Daybreak Games seems to have lost all control of balance and class mechanics.
    5) Skeleton dev crew releases smaller and smaller expansion at full price (or more).

...you should really give it a shot :)

Still my favorite mmorpg ever, but it's sad to see it dying and almost completely ruined :(

Pantheon, please come save us!
  • BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Are you guys smoking crack?  This game is over 10 years old.  Who are you going to play with? Yourself?  Well I am sure most of you already do.  Please, go find another game to play.  its old and the community always sucked and was nasty and unhelpful.  

Current Games: SWTOR, EVE Online

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,863

Broomy said:

... its old and the community always sucked and was nasty and unhelpful.  

Says the guy with, "Current Games: EVE Online" in his signature.
    Sevenwind

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 486

rodingo said:

Broomy said:

Eve is a cut throat game, thats its nature.  Its centered around pvp.  EQ2 was PVE based.  Go to the help channel or forums in EVE and you will get all the help you need.  EQ2's community was nasty, cliquish, racist and sexist.  And they had a flames forum that was the sickest place I have ever seen in any gaming forum.  So please just stfu.  
    Sevenwind

Current Games: SWTOR, EVE Online

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,792

Broomy said:

rodingo said:

Broomy said:

Eve is a cut throat game, thats its nature.  Its centered around pvp.  EQ2 was PVE based.  Go to the help channel or forums in EVE and you will get all the help you need.  EQ2's community was nasty, cliquish, racist and sexist.  And they had a flames forum that was the sickest place I have ever seen in any gaming forum.  So please just stfu.  

lolol yeah you people sound really nice and friendly.
    Sevenwind
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ