Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why or why not play ESO?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
I am doing some research about a few games..

why are you playing ESO, or why did you quit?

what are your 3 favorite things of this game
what are your 3 negative things in this game
please list both possitives and negatives, as well as answer my question..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    No answers?

Did everyone really leave for Black Desert?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited April 2016
    No answers?

ESO was never popular in the first place in this site.
    But I'll give you my opinion.
    I quit after the first month, and moved on pretty fast.

Q: What is good:
    A: Nothing in particular

Q: What is bad:
    A: Nothing in particular

I hope you get my point.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I never played ESO primarily because character appearance is important to me and I don't like the character models. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    I left at first because I didnt like their Imperial release day DLC, the game was bugged to hell and back, and I was not a fan of the classes or the weapons system at all.

By the time I saw it fit to consider returning they announced B2P, IIRC the all important cash shop was already there. Not to mention I either signed up again or had a free "come back" week I used and the game turned out to be just another on rails hand holding game (albeit somewhat less than others). As much as Id like to play an Elder Scrolls game I feel they changed way more than was necessary to adapt the IP to the MMO genre.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Reason why I finally quit ESO is all the lies they told us at end of beta and will into the first year of release. Lot of people told us TG was never promised back in 2014, will it was told to us actually just before end of beta. 

"thren_fellhorn
    ✭✭
    that just is not cool. I wish they would hurry up with it. As we were promised it right after launch. Just like the xbox 1 and ps4 versions
    November 2014"

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/138802/dark-brotherhood-and-thieves-guild

So as far as them saying they will fix this or that and never do, I just can't justify giving them any more money. They would need to replace from the top down before I would consider going back and supporting them.

Just to clarify they have not been working on TG for the last year it was already ready to go before B2P and the crown store. Only thing I regret is not saving what they said back in beta about these DLC's. So if they have already been done why haven't they fixed the lag and many, many, many other bugs we have had from beta, let alone the pvp. I know what it looks like to me, because they have people that have no clue how to fix it.

Just my 2 cents of why I don't trust them. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    ESO
    1 Great graphics.
    2 Good voiced quests.
    3 Combat and exploration is fun.

bad stuff
    1 Terrible at fixing bugs, new updates break the game consistently for me.
    2 Limited inventory space, if you like crafting you're forced to create mule characters just for the inventory space.
    3 Slow solo leveling unless you join a grind group.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    I am doing some research about a few games..

why are you playing ESO, or why did you quit?

what are your 3 favorite things of this game
    what are your 3 negative things in this game
    please list both possitives and negatives, as well as answer my question..
    Because of terrible world design. Probably the worst i seen in MMO games.
    I guess because of constrains of HERO engine (the one that destroyed so many MMOs)

3 favorite things : Roleplaying potential , Thieving mechanics , dungeon design

3 negative things : World design , map mob placement , unsatisfying combat flow

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited April 2016
    <3

(1) The combat. When I play other tab targeting games (after playing ESO), it kills me if I can't dodge or block.

(2) Crafting. I like that I can make the best gear. I can also buy monster gear so I'm not forced into raiding. I think their itemization this last patch is the best yet. The gear drops from the new raid give great gear for raiding. It's not useful for open world pve or pvp. I love this.

(3) Art style. Also, the world is beautiful.

>:)

(1) Technical problems: LAG in Cyrodiil. Random loading screens. Abilities sometimes don't work.

(2) Bank space. I freaking hate how much time I spend (as a crafter) shuffling stuff between mule accounts.

(3) Lots of instancing. I prefer seamless open worlds. Elder Scrolls should ideally be open world.

(*) The VR grind. I can't wait till it's gone. The quests are great the first time through, but needing to do that more than once or twice is horrible. Also, ZOS likes to nerf any good grind spots they find out about. This is bullsh*t. [This is not included in top 3 because it's supposed to be removed soon.]

Post edited by d_20 on

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Hmm I guess I have a dissenting vote.  I've been playing the game for about a year, and I don't plan on quitting soon.  It has ultra deep lore, more quests than you will ever complete, and a lot of players.  At any level you can find teams if you use the team building tools.

I like the combat, the crafting, and the impressive stories every where you look.  Take a stroll off the beaten path and there are even more quests to find.

There are some things that need work, and they are working on them.  PvP is pretty much restricted to one zone, Cyrodil, and the above ground area (castle sieges, zerg army combat, that type of thing),  has always had a fair amount of lag, especially on the weekends.  But the lag is a lot less than a year ago...

There are still a few bugs, but for the most part they are minor.  For example, the 'E' bug.  E is the key you hit to engage with an NPC, a door, etc.  Sometimes it won't work.  If that happens, you just hit the button to switch weapon sets and it is fixed.

You can join up to 5 guilds and (currently) 4 NPC guilds.  I am mostly playing in a medium size guild that does a lot of evening questing and dailies.  We also go into Cyrodil a lot.  During the week the lag in the upper area is tolerable to fine.  In the sewers (most fun sewer area of any game I have played) there is rarely lag, and it can be a lot of fun as you gather the mats for your end game armor and weapons.  The Imperial City has no real lag problems, and I wish there was more PvP going on there.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Been playing for a couple months, enjoying the heck out of it...someone in a previous post said something about not likeing the tab targeting? maybe they are playing a different version but to me it shows why I put little stock in 99% of what forum posters say around here.

Godz of War I call Thee

ESO
    1 Great graphics.
    2 Good voiced quests.

bad stuff
    2 Limited inventory space, if you like crafting you're forced to create mule characters just for the inventory space.
    Bad thingy #2 is being fixed.  The next major update will include a separate bag for your crafting materials.  I have heard this new bag is going to be unlimited in quantity, but I find that hard to believe.  But anything to help with the mundane task of carrying crafting stuff is A-OK with me.  Maybe it is just like your starting bag with 60 slots, and you can add 10 at a time to a very high number.

#3 is relative.  Solo leveling is pretty quick until you get to 50, then the vet levels take FOREVER.  It is time invested though, that determines how quickly you level.  I have one high vet character and several others in the 20s-30s and one in 40s.  My friend that I followed to this game played it from day one 5-10 hours a day, and has 7 Vet 16 characters.  My Vet character avoids soloing, since he is a tank and kills SLOOOOOWLY.  But my almost 50 Templar does very well solo, since that one has a good amount of DPS.

That will be moot soon, as they are getting rid of Vet levels.  The game will have a cap of 50 and Champion points, the main method of secondary leveling, will determine what you can equip after 50.  Since Champion points are shared across your account, if one character caps Champion points, all of your level 50 characters do too.  It is still worthwhile to get to the V16 cap though, as any character at that level can keep whatever gear they have even if their champion points are low.

ste2000 said:
    No answers?

Actually they have millions of players across three platforms.  I have heard 3.5 million but have never seen the financials for this game with my eyes, so I avoid quoting that number.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    The Elder Scrolls never captured me.

You can thank Oblivion for that, I suppose.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    GladDog said:
    ste2000 said:
    No answers?

Actually they have millions of players across three platforms.  I have heard 3.5 million but have never seen the financials for this game with my eyes, so I avoid quoting that number.
    Well.........I said it was never particularly popular "in this site".
    ESO is more of a mainstream game than something for Core MMO players

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Auction House prz
  • danisheraserdanisheraser Member UncommonPosts: 33
    To the poster. Many people have no idea what they are talking about, not trying to be objective in any way. I play ESO, but I have also played many many online games going back to Ultima Online. I always try to compare the game I play with the experience I have from all the games before.

First of all, ESO is very populated. There are many players, probably the most next after WoW. You won't have difficulty finding other people to play with.

PROS:
    - ESO is a game that rewards players who like to stick with one character, giving it the possibilities to do many things (as long as you don't give in to the flavor-of-the-month-build). Crafting, skillpoints (lots), mount s - all things that require time, and rewards your character with more opportunies, if you invest enough into him.
    - Lots of exploration in a huge world
    - Great quests (and LOTS of them)
    - Very diverse (you can do both PvE and PvP, and level up your character doing either, if you like)
    - Great lore and history
    - Lots of groupcontent. Dungeons (normal/veteran mode), raids, public.
    - Reactive combat
    - Challenging raids. Raids ain't just a walk in the park (atleast not the highlevel ones).

BAD:
    - Usually when new content is being implemented, there is a time with lots of bugs and fixing to do. After 2 years the devs still isn't getting better at doing this, which is rather surprising.
    - Lag in Cyrodiil. Cyrodiil is the large open-scale pvp zone. It is where the action is (or should be), and when there is no lag,it is very fun with all the sieges going on. However the devs still struggle with lag, and it's been an issues since launch.
    - Quests can often become grindy. Although the many quests (and there are many!) have very good stories, many of them also becomes very grindy, since the rewards for doing them are rather pathetic. You won't find any real issues with defeating any opponents (even with the weakest build), and once you complete the quest, the reward is most often some green shitty item. I know this is a very personal opinion, as many players like quests to be easy, but if they made them more difficult and at the same time rewarded players with better equipment, they might attract more players.
    - Cameracontrols/control of movement. It is not something I personal dislike, but I know many people have quit the game because of the different ways you control your character compared to other mmo's.
  • MikePtMikePt Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited April 2016
    AOE gold farming killed me when farming for 30 min I was paying most for repair also new system grind ...I as we clearly see many now are sick of GRIND
    WOW GRIND GW2 SUPER GRIND FOR VANITY AND SO ON .....mmorpg aren't RPG anymore
    these game should be called mmoGrind
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Best themepark MMO out at the moment.

• DrkKaiserDrkKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I'd like to be able to put down my thoughts here...
    But when I did, it said I was 4,438 words over the limit of the reply. So...Until I can find a way to get the small essay I wrote onto this site, I guess I'll have to just leave it at this.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    No answers?

No answers because - maybe - there is a pretty long thread on "why play ESO" already :)
  • Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Why I Play ESO...

The biggest reason can be found in two aspects of the game.

1) ESO has the most open character adavancement system of any fantasy MMO I have seen. Want to play a mage, okay but most MMOs limit that mage to specific armor and weapon choices. In ESO if I want to play a mage that wears heavy armor and uses a bow I can. How about a healer with sword and board tanking? A thief that uses magic? The only game system with a more open character development system is EVE.

2) Exploration: Again with the exception of EVE, most MMOs walk you through a lot of the questing. There is some of that with ESO but there is also a lot to explore and find outside the normal questing, more than other MMOs typically offer.

• DrkKaiserDrkKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Gorwe said:
    DrkKaiser said:
    I'd like to be able to put down my thoughts here...
    But when I did, it said I was 4,438 words over the limit of the reply. So...Until I can find a way to get the small essay I wrote onto this site, I guess I'll have to just leave it at this.
    Write an (un)official review?

Main Page -> Profile -> Game Reviews and Features -> Create your feature button
    Did that, but apparently I have to wait for the site mods to approve it first.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    GladDog said:
    ESO
    1 Great graphics.
    2 Good voiced quests.

bad stuff
    Bad thingy #2 is being fixed.  The next major update will include a separate bag for your crafting materials.  I have heard this new bag is going to be unlimited in quantity, but I find that hard to believe.  But anything to help with the mundane task of carrying crafting stuff is A-OK with me.  Maybe it is just like your starting bag with 60 slots, and you can add 10 at a time to a very high number.

#3 is relative.  Solo leveling is pretty quick until you get to 50, then the vet levels take FOREVER.  It is time invested though, that determines how quickly you level.  I have one high vet character and several others in the 20s-30s and one in 40s.  My friend that I followed to this game played it from day one 5-10 hours a day, and has 7 Vet 16 characters.  My Vet character avoids soloing, since he is a tank and kills SLOOOOOWLY.  But my almost 50 Templar does very well solo, since that one has a good amount of DPS.

That will be moot soon, as they are getting rid of Vet levels.  The game will have a cap of 50 and Champion points, the main method of secondary leveling, will determine what you can equip after 50.  Since Champion points are shared across your account, if one character caps Champion points, all of your level 50 characters do too.  It is still worthwhile to get to the V16 cap though, as any character at that level can keep whatever gear they have even if their champion points are low.
    Just to point out one small thing.

They have been saying just before beta ending they would be doing those things. I played the game for 2 years and that does include beta. What they say and do are two different things. They have no problems lying to the people that pay them to fix the game. 

Hell Vet levels if we took them for what they say would have been gone 6 months after PC going live. All BS!
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

Brenics said:

They have been saying just before beta ending they would be doing those things. I played the game for 2 years and that does include beta. What they say and do are two different things. They have no problems lying to the people that pay them to fix the game. 

Hell Vet levels if we took them for what they say would have been gone 6 months after PC going live. All BS!
    These changes are scheduled for the June update.  That is all I know.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited April 2016
    I can definitely say that I prefer ESO's version of PVE questing over most other themepark MMO's. 

EDIT: I should at least explain why I guess.  It's because most of the quests aren't kill X of Y or loot 10 of A from mob B.  Granted those types of quests are there, but they seem to not  be a crutch for the content lead to lean heavily on.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor