Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Game WITHOUT Transmog/Costume System?

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
edited April 2016 in LFGame
I'm looking for an MMO, pretty much ANY at the moment which doesn't use a transmog or costume system.  I much prefer seeing other players in awesome looking gear, and trying to get hold of it myself instead of realising they only bought it from the cash shop or transmogged it.

I like to look at other players' gear and get a rough idea of how powerful their character is just by looking at them, which isn't the case in a lot of games today.  GW2, BDO, TSW, WoW etc all have this system.  When I used to play WoW (before they had the transmog system) you could always spot powerful players by looking at their gear, but nowadays even a level 1 can look like an endgame raiding character.

Are there any MMOs at all out there which are like this, so I'm not fooled into thinking somebody has really great gear just because they bought it from the cash shop?  The more recently released, the better but it really doesn't matter too much.  It can be F2P, B2P or sub based, I don't mind.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    You could be out of luck, even EVE now has spaceship skins and avatar outfits for sale in the AUR store. (cash shop)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Look for a game without a cash shop.

~I am Many~

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    edited April 2016
    Well that sucks :/

So I'm destined to play an indie low population niche game or something just to be able to show off the powerful gear I've got.

I've got ESO but can't remember if it's got transmog/costumes.  That'd be an option I guess, if it didn't, but it probably does.
  • wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    DMKano said:
    Project 1999

Project Gorgon
    showing off pixels in true form near you!

I doubt he be able to show off at all in PG right now.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    FuryV said:

So I'm destined to play an indie low population niche game or something just to be able to show off the powerful gear I've got.

I've got ESO but can't remember if it's got transmog/costumes.  That'd be an option I guess, if it didn't, but it probably does.
    ESO has costumes.

I with you, I wish we would see what the character was wearing. I also believe in being able to modify that gear slightly. But I don't like costume systems as I would rather have players actually have a true representation of what they are using.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Sovrath said:
    FuryV said:

ESO has costumes.

I with you, I wish we would see what the character was wearing. I also believe in being able to modify that gear slightly. But I don't like costume systems as I would rather have players actually have a true representation of what they are using.
    ^^ Yep, this.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited April 2016
    I like my transmog/costume system.

With that said, i kind of want to agree with OP here. What i would love to see is a new system where transmog/costume apply to non-combat clothing. And you can only be flagged for combat (both in PvE and PvP) by equipping your combat armor. You remain flagged as friendly as long as you are wearing non-combat clothes. Something like what GW2 has that you can wear non-combat apparel to hang out in town, just expand it to the whole game.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I wouldn't say odd, even if I don't agree with it (I kinda like cosmetic options), not odd just out of time I guess. As OP says it's present in almost every game, and it is present because it's popular and sought.

I think maybe AoC was the "last man standing", at least among the games I play a lot: it launched without it (for similar reasons OP mentions, so you can see the actual gear and measure the player by recognise them gear pieces), had a few cosmetic, statless pieces mostly from events, and if you put them on, your stat values lowered - so either looking cool, or looking tough :wink:
    They went like this for years, I think when they introduced the Vanity tab (cosmetic system) the game was already f2p (and it was frequently asked for, "we want to equip items cosmetically" and stuff).

To be honest I couldn't say any game, without a cosmetic. Kyleran said Eve, similar could be STO, you can't change your ship's look, so at least in space you can see what other peeps are flying. On ground however, it has a really cool system - I mean cool, for a cosmetics player like me :wink: Tons of uniforms and clothing from all the shows and movies, etc.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited April 2016
    Character customization in this industry is nearly dead. Don't hasten it along.

I can see this topic breaking opinions pretty evenly along pvp/pve lines. Which really means that most companies are not handling visual cues in combat properly. "Evaluate probable outcomes by knowing the available gear intimately."