Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much you planning on backing for COE KickStarter?

12346»

Comments

• MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    edited April 2016
    whilan said:
    Yanocchi said:
    CoE Kickstarter has coincided with the launch of The Black Death.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1364/feature/10767/Surviving-Early-Access.html/page/1

This is definitely -$20 off from my potential crowdfunding of CoE. :o Maybe BD doesn't have such big promises as CoE but at least it is already here, can be bought and played already today. I feel BD has a more user-friendly approach. It has launched small but can potentially grow to MMO scale and with an inclusion of some cool innovative features. People can join and try the game themselves whenever they want instead of being offered a stiff 30 day limit which comes as a part of Kickstarter campaigns. People can also get their money back if they have played the game for less than 2 hours. Was there some reason why CoE decided to go with Kickstarter instead of Steam early access?

In Gareth Harmer's interview BD developers also confimed my suspicion that indie developers get to benefit quite a lot from the content and features released as part of Unreal Engine 4 updates. Looking at all these indie dev studio projects and the video trailers of their games, it can be hard to tell apart how much of the awesome looking stuff should be credited to the indie devs and how much to the big developers making and releasing content for these modern game engines  like UE4 and CryEngine 3. If you look at all the Black Death video trailers, all that stuff was made by a team of seven people who started making the game in July 2015.

Early access can have a very double edge sword.  People pluck down money and then find the game is like only 4 hours long and feel cheated or some features aren't working correctly. That will hurt your business and really cause word of mouth to go sour before you get the chance to even put those new features in.

Early access is also getting a stigma for quick cash grabs because people ran out of development money and is looking to make the money up by getting people to buy an incomplete product and now you have to wait for the game to be finished and in most cases they don't ever actually finish or rarely get updates.
    Early Access is the same as Kickstarters, and rely on a game going viral. If they get 10,000 sales at $20, sure that's all well and nice but if the experience is shite then the reviews will stack on and future buyers will turn-away due to the mass of negative reviews.  I've only gotten 2 games in Early Access on steam, 1 I was burned on as it never eventuated to what it was supposed to, the other succeeded. Other's I've followed (and still following) development and some have given up and vanished in updates yet sales still progress on steam.

Where-as I've been just as burned by KS backed a few things on KS and Indiegogo, some made it, some didn't and I'm in the SC ballpark as well of "Is my money dead money?" I've walked away from SC and will look at it in Oct/Nov at the earliest and see where the state of the game is. I don't even bother checking on the updates etc. anymore... I'll just have to hope my $$ wasn't wasted as I've lost hope in the product coming out anytime before 2020 myself.

But if they can pull of a dynamic world at 256kmx128km on single servers... then all the more power to them.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Let me see a full game play video show casing a comprehensive system that can be built upon. I don't mean snippets of cut scenes in pre alpha stage. Show me one final version of what game play will be like at the complete end. I don't care what you show either, if its just one house with a few monsters and one crafting table. Show me a finalized version. Non of this, "Oh, this is Alpha. A magical unicorn is going to fly in and make the game look 10x better than this!"

Deliver developers. Deliver something complete and you may see my money.
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Coated said:
    Let me see a full game play video show casing a comprehensive system that can be built upon. I don't mean snippets of cut scenes in pre alpha stage. Show me one final version of what game play will be like at the complete end. I don't care what you show either, if its just one house with a few monsters and one crafting table. Show me a finalized version. Non of this, "Oh, this is Alpha. A magical unicorn is going to fly in and make the game look 10x better than this!"

Deliver developers. Deliver something complete and you may see my money.
    Please no... no magical unicorns flying in this game!

As for seeing, we've seen various rough cuts in IRC over the previous months as a "what do you think" kind of aspect. Some have seen light of day in a more polished video, some haven't.

Hopefully we'll see more come out soon.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I'll give em $100, possibly a little more.  To me, even an outside chance for a one-of-a-kind game like this is worth risking some dough and so I'll support it in any way I can.  I wouldn't invest money I wasn't okay with losing, though.  But with a $100 I can kiss it goodbye and wouldn't care I was out $100 if nothing ever came of it.  Having the game fail due to lack of funds would be far more disappointing to me than losing $100.
    This is my sentiment exactly.

In past kickstarters, i've only ever backed $40-50 for basic beta access + copy of the game or something like that because I didn't really care whether the game succeeded and just wanted an eventual chance to get in and try it out.

In this case, i genuinely want to see CoE succeed, at least at its core concepts even with a lot shaved off, and its no longer just about me wanting to get into beta. I'm willing to have more exposure (~$250) for something I actually care about.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,981
    Have we seen what the packages are?   that will dictate if I join the Kickstarter and at what level...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    edited April 2016
    Have we seen what the packages are?   that will dictate if I join the Kickstarter and at what level...

I haven't seen any tiers as they are calling them, but they do go into some detail here (video). I skipped to the kickstarter part of the video for you.  It still seems kind of "fluid" at the moment but they make 2 price points they are looking at is 75 for what they call the open beta which i think is really the early access as charging for open beta makes no sense but whatever, its' what they consider the last phase, and then theres the 120 which gets you the closed beta. Though nothing is set in stone just yet.

edit: changed 2 terms to match the video.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    whilan said:

I haven't seen any tiers as they are calling them, but they do go into some detail here (video). I skipped to the kickstarter part of the video for you.  It still seems kind of "fluid" at the moment but they make 2 price points they are looking at is 75 for what they call the open beta which i think is really the early access as charging for open beta makes no sense but whatever, its' what they consider the last phase, and then theres the 120 which gets you the closed beta. Though nothing is set in stone just yet.

The betas are different than the early access. The early access in CoE will actually be early access and not just an extended testing phase like so many games are doing now. I think the open beta tier is to guarantee a spot in the open beta, as it will certainly have a population limit. The worlds will all be wiped after the beta's, but the early access will be the fully finished game that a small portion of the population will get into before the official launch. The world WONT be wiped after this phase as its meant as a way for those players to build the foundation of the world for launch day. I believe the term they are using to describe the early access is the Exposition, but I am not sure.

The schedule will be something like
    Closed alpha -> *possible server wipe* -> Open alpha -> *server wipe* -> Closed beta -> *possible server wipe* -> Open beta -> *server wipe* -> *-Game is finished here-* -> Exposition -> Launch day
    whilan said:

Hmm.. that sounds rather steep.  I'll have to keep an eye out for info.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    whilan said:

Yeah bit higher than I was expecting to go, maybe 50-60 dollars would have been more ideal. Like you i'll have to keep my eye out for more info before I do anything.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

whilan said:
    whilan said:

Yeah bit higher than I was expecting to go, maybe 50-60 dollars would have been more ideal. Like you i'll have to keep my eye out for more info before I do anything.
    It's always dangerous when companies run ideas like costs through the hardcore fans.  They always say YES to everything. This is a much tougher Kickstarter environment and a much more skeptical population. I think if that's their real price point they might struggle.

We will see. 

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Nasa said:
    Im very skeptical about this business model.
    If you die too many times you have to pay for a new character. This means it becomes a game about not dying. No room for experiment or risk.
    It also gets expensive if you want to use alts.
    im sure the cash shop will help dont worry
    pay 10$ for no dying bonus for 24hour, 
    potion for remove 5 year of age

the potential infinite, btw you guys buy the 10 000$ pack ? sound such a deal
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Nasa said:
    Im very skeptical about this business model.
    If you die too many times you have to pay for a new character. This means it becomes a game about not dying. No room for experiment or risk.
    It also gets expensive if you want to use alts.
    im sure the cash shop will help dont worry
    pay 10$ for no dying bonus for 24hour, 
    potion for remove 5 year of age

the potential infinite, btw you guys buy the 10 000$ pack ? sound such a deal
    This guy is nothing more than a bitter hater without Facts.
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6930165/

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited April 2016
    Vucar said:
    I'll give em $100, possibly a little more.  To me, even an outside chance for a one-of-a-kind game like this is worth risking some dough and so I'll support it in any way I can.  I wouldn't invest money I wasn't okay with losing, though.  But with a $100 I can kiss it goodbye and wouldn't care I was out $100 if nothing ever came of it.  Having the game fail due to lack of funds would be far more disappointing to me than losing $100.
    This is my sentiment exactly.

In past kickstarters, i've only ever backed $40-50 for basic beta access + copy of the game or something like that because I didn't really care whether the game succeeded and just wanted an eventual chance to get in and try it out.

In this case, i genuinely want to see CoE succeed, at least at its core concepts even with a lot shaved off, and its no longer just about me wanting to get into beta. I'm willing to have more exposure (~$250) for something I actually care about.

the dream they sell realy good this time right ?? based on what you get into it ??

btw im making a game too,

no skill system, you learn with using skill, class less system, you can be everything you want, a full world massive and immersive, with no loading screan, a world where you matter here, you do a quest it change the world forever, you see a mountain ? you can climb the mountain, you see a monster wear a armor ? kill the monster and he drop this armor !! a world with freedom, you can craft everything, loot everything, players based trade system and politic, you can become a emperor and npc follow you!!, you can own castle and siege them!!

sound good right ??!! brb im going hire 1-2 friends, put some image of unreal engine 4, some pictures, start a kickstarter with 40 000$ goal...since you got 100$ buck to waste, what if my game real ??!! would be a damn shame to let it waste right ??!!

in 2016 mmorpg are all about selling dream to peoples who are still dreaming of mmorpg... will never happen but many peoples will get money... on dreamer.