Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much you planning on backing for COE KickStarter?

MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
edited April 2016 in Chronicles of Elyria
With 3 weeks to go until the Kick Starter for COE. How much are you willing to pledge?

*Price points in USD if you wish to do a conversion*

*** If you plan on donating $10K+ please vote the last option... I hit SHIFT+ENTER by mistake and cannot edit poll :( ***
Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
Post edited by Maygus on

Comments

• epicofficialepicofficial Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Happily willing to support COE, hype is real and would be so excited once goal achieved during kickstarter.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    It depends.

Will my contribution be considered an investment in the company with a cut of the profits?  Or am I just handing free money to someone, hoping that they produce what I want and making them wealthy in the process?  

My money doesn't come cheap, especially when it's for something that I can buy during a steam sale six months after it comes out for half price.  It comes out of my wallet even less willingly when I know that the first time I log into the game I will have to accept an EULA stating that they can change the game experience at any time they wish with no refund.

No.  No thank you.  They can build it with their money and if it's good, then I'll buy the finished product.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Why do people pay thousands of dollars to back these games? 
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    edited April 2016
    They are building what they can with their money already. Caspian has sold off his future home and invested personal funds into this to date. However that isn't a limitless supply for an indie developer.

Over $500,000 from personal funds invested so far for current development / payment of staff.
    Kickstarters in general are a buy-in to a product with various reward levels and not an "give me $500 now and you'll get a return later" that's something that happens over on FIG but it's a new crowdsourcing platform and who knows if it'll survive long-term.

If you don't wish to back, that's fine. That's why I gave an option of 'waiting for pre-order' which means it's passed KS and alpha/beta and launch has an actual date and not just Q3 2017 as we have currently been advised.

EDIT: As for buying on steam, as it's a Buy2Play per life (avg lasting 10-14 months not including any death penalties reducing your overall play-time) I don't imagine this riding on Steam aside from a 'free' launcher product with all purchasing done via the COE website/store itself.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    $0 will never back any kickstarter project ever.....Its a terrible investment
    Would you pre-order COE when it reaches that point or buy on launch day/post-launch.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Maygus said:
    Would you pre-order COE when it reaches that point or buy on launch day/post-launch.
    No to KS.

No to buying game.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    It's not an investment it's a donation.
    DarLorkar said:
    No to KS.

No to buying game.
    Genuine query... any specific reason or just this game isn't your cup-of-tea?

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Would take the poll if there was a spot for Zero. Suggest you add that to the poll.
    edited April 2016
    Wylf said:
    Would take the poll if there was a spot for Zero. Suggest you add that to the poll.
    $0 as in not backing but you would pick-up after KS during pre-order and/or post launch?
    Or $0 as in not backing at all.

The first option will give that view overall either way, as it's more about "what will you do when the KS is live?"

EDIT: and I cannot edit the poll :(

• pythonlabspythonlabs Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I have backed 3 games.  I will never back another, one went under, one was nothing like promised.  One is still in development with potential.  Thats $750 I have invested to potentially play a game.  Not worth it.
  • VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    H0urg1ass said:

No.  No thank you.  They can build it with their money and if it's good, then I'll buy the finished product.
    Great, please continue to enjoy the trash mainstream themeparks being pumped out by "Triple A" companies like Blizzard.

We'll be over here trying to help someone do something new.

Also @ anyone who came into a thread with kickstarter in the title, complaining about investment returns from a kickstarter: I have news for you, no one has ever gotten monetary return on their donations toward a kickstarter... that's why its called a kickstarter, and not part of an e-trade portfolio... 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited April 2016
    Maygus said:
    DarLorkar said:
    No to KS.

No to buying game.
    Personally I really doubt a full featured MMORPG can be made for less than $10M so most of these titles just aim too low.

Along with the feature plan, it probably is more important the indie dev share their financial backing and spending plan.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    I marked <100 as I tend to not spend more than I would for a normal game (no more than 60). There is at least one thing I need to learn that it is A actually in the game, and B how it is implemented.  The alignment system.  I need like a dev journal on this or something outlining how that is supposed to work and what effects it has on your character/soul and the world around you.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

edited April 2016
    Kyleran said:
    Maygus said:
    DarLorkar said:
    No to KS.

No to buying game.
    Personally I really doubt a full featured MMORPG can be made for less than $10M so most of these titles just aim too low.

Along with the feature plan, it probably is more important the indie dev share their financial backing and spending plan.

Not sure what you mean by financial backing - to date it's been Caspian himself funding it (he's even stated that a few times in various places on here and reddit and the official forums).

The spending plan will be announced during KS what the funds will go towards etc. Caspian's own funds run out mid-July and they're looking to avoid investor/publisher deals as they tend to push for certain aspects to meet deadlines, by that 'cut entirely and never come back'.

The starting goal for COE is 900K to ship the product minus various features, stretch goals will mean those features they've removed for now can be reintroduced for launch as he can hire staff to ensure they are completed on time... if the stretch goals are not met, then they will be re-introduced after the game has gone live and there is a steady flow of players joining the game.

--

You are however right to ask the question and Caspian has not shied away from these. I'm sure he'll drop in here eventually when he has time to spare.

They're prepping for PAX East as it is so you can go there in person if you are able to and ask him yourself.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    I won't be investing any money into the game until I get a chance to play it.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • MikePtMikePt Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited April 2016
    In last days I've watched and have read a lot of this project and I think it's revolutionary to MMORPG.
    But I never took place in Kickstarters   but I've bought a lot of trash early access MMOs that disappointed me badly and that's one of the reason why don't play mmorpg anymore....
    Because I not only waste my hard made money but also waste precious time in shity games instead of spending with kids or  those I love all around a disappointment .
    Right now I'm waiting for Conan Exile that seems to have nice concept but also CoE interested me a lot ..

So to main question if I back COE I will get game access?
    From what I know .
    At release Game will cost around  50 $ + 30 $ every time our Toon perma dies

I'm willing to give on Kickstarter up to 60 $ if I will get game access

But this doesn't matter much  what we should do now! spread the world about this game concepts which is something New and Big very dangerous and ambitious project .
    If we manage to get involved 1milion backers with at least 5 $ each  that's already will be an huge success.
    And let's face it 5 $ wont bankrupt you even in third world ^^

By the way my willingness to back COE is only because it will probably be my very last MMO if these guys fail me.....I don't see any reason to hope for that perfect MMO we all waited all these years . + Increase of shitty F2P seriously I can't see old school gamers still playing ...nowdays
    so CoE is my last hope
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    edited April 2016
    Kyleran said:
    Maygus said:
    DarLorkar said:
    No to KS.

No to buying game.

I guess that depends on what you consider full-featured. Crowfall has raised just under 7 mil (2.7 mil from crowdfunding) and, according to the devs, that is enough to make the game. They have reported several times on financial matters, on plans for investors, and on expected costs to make the game.

The key difference with Crowfall though is that it is almost entirely a PvP game. They aren't building a lot of PvE elements, which are what generally cost the most money to make. 

Regarding CoE, I can't say until I see what I'm going to get for my money (or at least what they say I'm going to get). I've only backed 2 games on KS, Crowfall and Project Gorgon. PG was after I had already been playing for some time and enjoying it, so I threw them 20 bucks. I'm not playing it any more, but I got my money's worth. I spent quite a bit more for Crowfall, but have yet to regret that investment. 

There's a different kind of satisfaction that I get from playing in pre-launch tests, which shouldn't be discounted. I started testing last September, more than a year before release. That's a lot of game sessions and a lot of fun, with new stuff being added on a regular basis. I also get to talk to the devs on occasion, pick their brains and offer ideas to help shape the game. All of that has value to me and is worth the price of admission. 

That's not to say that all games are worth backing. Some are, some aren't. It's a matter of finding the right games.
    Arkade99 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Maygus said:
    DarLorkar said:
    No to KS.

No to buying game.

I guess that depends on what you consider full-featured. Crowfall has raised just under 7 mil (2.7 mil from crowdfunding) and, according to the devs, that is enough to make the game. They have reported several times on financial matters, on plans for investors, and on expected costs to make the game.

The key difference with Crowfall though is that it is almost entirely a PvP game. They aren't building a lot of PvE elements, which are what generally cost the most money to make. 
    To be honest I think all these Western AAA mmos are a scum ... SWOTR 100 millions seriously?
    All these Asian shitty mmos like Archage Black dessert all have a very tight budget but they turned to be very good for it budget.
    Who knows..

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Oh, I don't know.....I was thinking about gyving somewhere between zero and nothing.
    Crowdfunded MMOPRGs is a recipe for disaster.

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    edited April 2016

Where's the pool option to "I'm not going to buy this game."

-What is this way of thinking? lets give our money to a company as a chance they'll make a game on their promises?

-how often does a game change radically when it starts are bullet points on some random website and then the actual finished product.

I will never give my money to a company before the product is released.  

If this game has "tiers of what you get for what you buy" -isn't that a different route to pay to win?

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538

I will never give my money to a company before the product is released.  

And that's totally your choice. Just understand that many of these games, if they don't get money from crowdfunding, will never be made. The only other option is to find a publisher and it doesn't look like many publishers are interested in spending a lot of money on MMOs these days, not after all the failures while trying to chase the WoW money. 
    edited April 2016
    I have backed 3 games.  I will never back another, one went under, one was nothing like promised.  One is still in development with potential.  Thats $750 I have invested to potentially play a game.  Not worth it.
    It's your own fault guys I don't remember any good kickstarters all were trash and I could not understand how you people fall into it .....none of previous Kickstarters provided what COE did

-Ground breaking changes .
    -Amazing world with really nice animation even if game is still in early early  development .

I think they should make a Small demo 15 min of game play at least with combat and some of their feature brifly ...
    If I see that they can combine all of this I will make this last Leap of faith for CoE project

And from what I remember all these kick shit starters have had lot of hype from MMOrpg just like Crowfall which I think will fail

TO back up my words here is the video

Notice those animations notice those clothing Physics ant now think about it until recently Project consisted only of 2 people and only from recent time their team is out of 14 man If I'm not wrong .

so Out of all those kick started you sheepish mmorpg.com crowd were hyped off this is actually first Kick starter that I see to have potential .

To justify my critique here is another example
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen
    do you see the difference ?

All this kick starter fail are on behalf of sheepish people like you .

To justify my self third time should I throw here
    CoE weather system video ? Even Skyrim modding community  didn't reach such a good progress at this.

For the sake of Overkill

Also I think MMORPG.com had a bigger influence of these fails than WOW as many amuse mmorpg often Hyped like crazy some unworthy project remember Holy war against ESO in favor of Wield Start I still remember ....

And how many times I was banned for openly saying that MMORPG it's a marketing tool...

Post edited by MikePt on
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    none, I am not interested in this game