Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how sure are you this game will be as promised?

1235»

Comments

• adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    The kind of persistence CIG is looking for allows you to buy things - it's got to be server side or you could edit some local XML and give yourself a squillion space bucks.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    rodarin said:
    Brenics said:
    Because persistent universe is on hold and them going full speed on SQ42 I say 2019 and only if they get more major funding. As in SQ42 maybe in 2017 but it will be nothing like he said it would be. 
    they need a persistent universe to run SQ 42 the way they claimed they would.
    How I understood it, cause there will no co-op in SQ42 (they moved it to Star citizen PU), it would be enough for SQ42 to have a local save file.
    Persistence in anything online is different you need to spread it over the network and the client has to rebuild the "other guy" from scratch.
    Usually this is done in a black box (Take Char model + nose03 + weapon05 > put stuff together > Change position/quaternion to actual position > wake char up) - If there is a change (Guy got other nose/shirt/additional leg) Change Inventory slot and tell client to rerender (Black box is used only in the first iteration cause to many inventory slots needs to be updated and nobody likes floating eyeballs around the scene).
    The Data is handled through a cloud database, I really do not know why the CIG servers have some kind of FPS backend *puzzled*. 
    yeah I know the work arounds for it, but I missed the part where all the co ops were taken out of SQ 42 I guess. I know they minimized it but didnt know it was taken out completely. But then again that definitely buys them a couple years (3-5 more than likely) before they actually have to deliver a persistent universe.

But that ultimately means that a persistent universe that was supposed to be online at the end of 2014 or so probably wont be in existence until 202 or maybe even later. So a 6 year delay basically. Roberts is nothing but consistent thats for sure. And here I was giving them the benefit of the doubt that they might have actually been close in being able to deliver it in a few months.....
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    rodarin said:
    Brenics said:
    Because persistent universe is on hold and them going full speed on SQ42 I say 2019 and only if they get more major funding. As in SQ42 maybe in 2017 but it will be nothing like he said it would be. 
    they need a persistent universe to run SQ 42 the way they claimed they would.
    How I understood it, cause there will no co-op in SQ42 (they moved it to Star citizen PU), it would be enough for SQ42 to have a local save file.
    Persistence in anything online is different you need to spread it over the network and the client has to rebuild the "other guy" from scratch.
    Usually this is done in a black box (Take Char model + nose03 + weapon05 > put stuff together > Change position/quaternion to actual position > wake char up) - If there is a change (Guy got other nose/shirt/additional leg) Change Inventory slot and tell client to rerender (Black box is used only in the first iteration cause to many inventory slots needs to be updated and nobody likes floating eyeballs around the scene).
    The Data is handled through a cloud database, I really do not know why the CIG servers have some kind of FPS backend *puzzled*. 
    A game engine is comprised of several components: rendering (graphics and visuals), audio, event triggers, game scripting and rules, and of course database management and query.

A lot goes on in a games coding and software interaction that isn't plainly seen by the user. Rendering is always the last step and handled client side. "cloud database" is a dumb term for client-server database interaction. A cloud is nothing more than a giant computer handling data, a server. 

Just like how a game on your local computer would have save points etc, or autosave features, all of this is a form of meta-data that occurs in the background (invisible to the user directly) when an action occurs, the information instead of going to your storage devices or ram is sent over the network and stored on a server's storage device.

The answer why is simply because it has to be there for it to work. In anything with online interaction or even local machine.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Brenics said:
    Denial is a coping mechanism that gives you time to adjust to distressing situations — but staying in denial can interfere with treatment or your ability to tackle challenges.

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Who invests in something and then hysterically whines about and trash talks said investment....Nobody I know so pardon me If I don't believe any of your claims that you gave them money...Do you always plant seeds and then water them with a lye solution?  Seriously, give it up...
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    lokiboard said:
    Who invests in something and then hysterically whines about and trash talks said investment....Nobody I know so pardon me If I don't believe any of your claims that you gave them money...Do you always plant seeds and then water them with a lye solution?  Seriously, give it up...
    mmm delicious, delicious lye.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Maurgrim said:
    I've been following this game for many years and no I haven't bought any pixles.
    So much money being invested is it even possible to give the players at release this massive amount of feature list they have promised or will we see a skeleton game were we can "invest" in future development?

I can see the release, It's not the game they promised, It's a game that works but the key features are not in, you have to invest more money in the game to make sead feature being worked on.

Am I wrong how I see it?

Food for thought.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Maurgrim said:
    I've been following this game for many years and no I haven't bought any pixles.
    So much money being invested is it even possible to give the players at release this massive amount of feature list they have promised or will we see a skeleton game were we can "invest" in future development?

I can see the release, It's not the game they promised, It's a game that works but the key features are not in, you have to invest more money in the game to make sead feature being worked on.

Am I wrong how I see it?

Food for thought.
    This guy says it like it is. I do wonder why CR hasn't attacked him.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited April 2016
    Brenics said:
    Maurgrim said:

Am I wrong how I see it?

Food for thought.
    So, he says it like it is..

So, you agree when he refers to CR as a being legend.

You agree when he says that "..the legacy of CR's creations will stand the test of time.."

You agree with him saying "..Derek Smart the one time indie developer has sunk to character assassination.." and a bunch of other "nice" stuff about his excellency DS.

You do agree, yes ?
  • SmartySmartSmartySmart Member UncommonPosts: 312
    edited April 2016
    Brenics said:
    Maurgrim said:

Am I wrong how I see it?

Food for thought.
    Yep this guy said "Fuck you" to Derek Smart.

I am fine with his opinion even if he fails to distinguish between subscriber money and normal backer money and sees a spaceship during Citizencon instead of a Concorde that was available at that place (an not specifically was transported there for the Citizencon). 

At least he rages consistently even he gets some facts wrong which is normal in rage mode. 

Why should CR attack him? Because it would fit what you think of CR? Sorry but CR is not Erdogan who attacks and sues children.