Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And so it begins ...

monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/4e2f4p/does_anyone_else_feel_the_marketplace_pricing_is/

I posted a review of Black Desert a while ago and the economy/marketplace is one of the things I highlighted because its dreadful. Well ... people are starting to notice. So, lets start the countdown. How long do you think BDO has until everything hits the fan? I give it a month or two before the economy crashes and everything in the MP is useless. 

I'm on mobile so sorry for any errors. 

Comments

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    how can the economy crash when this shit is being controlled by the devs?
    #logicthinking
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    #logicthinking

That is pretty much the reason why it crashes...like any economy...
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    Gdemami said:
    #logicthinking

That is pretty much the reason why it crashes...like any economy...
    might wanne do some reading about what it is then
  • ShrikeArghastShrikeArghast Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I believe that once Blader/Plum and Ninja/Kunochi (or however it's spelled) are released, things will begin to collapse about 2-3 weeks in the hereafter. Right now, a LOT of players haven't reached 50 yet, and/or are waiting on those two classes to really take the plunge hardcore. As soon as they get their wish, the foot will lift off the clutch, and people are going to start to understand how badly assembled enormous aspects of the game are. 
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    #logicthinking
    how did our economy crash when it is controlled by our devs?

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
    edited April 2016
    I think the economy in this game is excellent!

There are some pricing disparities for sure (a good example is it takes 10 x hide at 2k to make a fine hide that sells for 6k!) However i believe this is deliberate to encourage people to craft or set up workers. That fine hide may only have a marketplace price tag of 6k, but if its a much needed mat  for yourself whilst making tier 3 tools, to you, its worth a lot more and is worth the time and effort to craft yourself (no one is ever going to sell them at a loss)

Yes, you will never be able to buy potatoes as they insta sell, so it forces you to set up your own workers to harvest potatoes. This game wouldn't be half as interesting if you could just buy everything you need. I have over 3k potaoes in my storage now. They are a valuable commodity and there's not a chance in hell im ever going to sell them for the pittance that the marketplace is stating.

Economy crash? i dont think so. Because of the unique way this economy is set up, it wont ever crash because pricing is completely controlled by the devs

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited April 2016
    In what ways is the economy crashing?

Hyper inflation? Store/vendors will no longer accept currency? Players no longer purchasing from the cash shop?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
    Aori said:
    I guess I'm a little slow, what is beginning?
    The OP thinks its the beginning of the end for BDO, cause he cant buy potatoes on the marketplace :)

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    *stares at the Reddit post... wonders what this big revelation is supposed to be*
    ...I hate to burst your bubble OP, but... I'm fairly sure the vast majority of players have already figured out what's worth selling on the MP, and what isn't...

As for those who are only now supposedly finding that out... well, I'd say they have bigger trouble than worrying about some virtual economy. ;)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    plescure said:
    Aori said:
    I guess I'm a little slow, what is beginning?
    The OP thinks its the beginning of the end for BDO, cause he cant buy potatoes on the marketplace :)
    Lol "the game economy forces me to participate in the game,  ahh its going to crash !!!"
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Just quit the game. 
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Honestly, it seems like people are reading tea leaves.  A lot of people will be wrong, but you guess enough times, eventually someone will stick.

'The economy is about to collapse..... damn that didn't happen'  

let me read the tea leaves again.

'oops, i read them wrong.  The introduction of new character classes'  

oops read them damn tea leaves wrong again.  let's take a good look this time.....

'The game is doomed, people are gonna wake up to the fact that the game sucks.... maybe.  Boy I hope I'm right this time, but let me have some tea leaves ready in case this one falls through.

I self identify as a monkey.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Honestly, it seems like people are reading tea leaves.  A lot of people will be wrong, but you guess enough times, eventually someone will stick.

'The economy is about to collapse..... damn that didn't happen'  

let me read the tea leaves again.

'oops, i read them wrong.  The introduction of new character classes'  

oops read them damn tea leaves wrong again.  let's take a good look this time.....

'The game is doomed, people are gonna wake up to the fact that the game sucks.... maybe.  Boy I hope I'm right this time, but let me have some tea leaves ready in case this one falls through.

See! !! I told you I was right !!
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    LMAO what the "its fine" (myopic) crowd fails to realize is, that if EVERYONE starts making or putting the same things on the MP and the prices dont change then the system is broken. Especially if a demand for items that arent getting made continues or even rises and their prices dont change its doubly broken.

If only a few things make money then the game basically forces everyone who wants to make money into doing those same exact things. That doesnt sound like much of a game to me. 

Its the same argument games with 'a lot' to do try and make, just because they offer a bunch of mundane meaningless grinds, doesnt man there is 'a lot' to do. Especially if 95% of the stuff that comprises the 'a lot no one wants to do and offers nothing more than a meaningless time sink. Ironically BDO does have a work around for that in their game its called AFK grinding.

Controlled economies never work, in reality or in a game. Especially if it does what it seems this one is doing.

Now the argument people are waiting or people arent at 50 yet could possibly be a small part of it, but if there are some items that sell out immediately and their prices dont go up then there is a problem. 
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    rodarin said:
    LMAO what the "its fine" (myopic) crowd fails to realize is, that if EVERYONE starts making or putting the same things on the MP and the prices dont change then the system is broken. Especially if a demand for items that arent getting made continues or even rises and their prices dont change its doubly broken.

If only a few things make money then the game basically forces everyone who wants to make money into doing those same exact things. That doesnt sound like much of a game to me. 

Its the same argument games with 'a lot' to do try and make, just because they offer a bunch of mundane meaningless grinds, doesnt man there is 'a lot' to do. Especially if 95% of the stuff that comprises the 'a lot no one wants to do and offers nothing more than a meaningless time sink. Ironically BDO does have a work around for that in their game its called AFK grinding.

Controlled economies never work, in reality or in a game. Especially if it does what it seems this one is doing.

Now the argument people are waiting or people arent at 50 yet could possibly be a small part of it, but if there are some items that sell out immediately and their prices dont go up then there is a problem. 
    Bingo. Anyone with half a brain cell could tell from the beginning that the economy was going to be disastrous. People that disagree either dont understand basic math or are incredibly naive. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Bingo. Anyone with half a brain cell could tell from the beginning that the economy was going to be disastrous. People that disagree either dont understand basic math or are incredibly naive. 
    Or went into the game thinking that despite all evidence to the contrary you could still find a way to milk the system and corner a market?

Personally I find AH meta games boring in the extreme. Someone should just make a stock market simulator and you could all go do that and have fun. I wouldn't touch it.

BDO isn't that kind of game. Stupid is trying to play it as if it was and then posting about your failure.

Wealth and item generation in this game is a personal thing. It's just you vs. the game. You don't even have to agree with the managed price range of an item. Personally I find some things just not worth it compared to cheaper alternatives. Simple solution, I don't buy it or I don't grow it or I don't craft it. I do other things that are "worth it" to me. Whatever I'm doing, I'm in the "A" ranking for wealth on my server - no AH watching or manipulation required.

This is a game for people who want to craft their own shit. Not become wealthy by cornering the market for some special gizmo they can make or farm.

Stupid is trying to play it as if it was a WOW-AH style economic simulator and then going on and on about how you can't.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited April 2016
    Iselin said:

Or went into the game thinking that despite all evidence to the contrary you could still find a way to milk the system and corner a market?

Personally I find AH meta games boring in the extreme. Someone should just make a stock market simulator and you could all go do that and have fun. I wouldn't touch it.

BDO isn't that kind of game. Stupid is trying to play it as if it was and then posting about your failure.

Wealth and item generation in this game is a personal thing. It's just you vs. the game. You don't even have to agree with the managed price range of an item. Personally I find some things just not worth it compared to cheaper alternatives. Simple solution, I don't buy it or I don't grow it or I don't craft it. I do other things that are "worth it" to me. Whatever I'm doing, I'm in the "A" ranking for wealth on my server - no AH watching or manipulation required.

This is a game for people who want to craft their own shit. Not become wealthy by cornering the market for some special gizmo they can make or farm.

Stupid is trying to play it as if it was a WOW-AH style economic simulator and then going on and on about how you can't.
    Who said they were doing any of that? Could you possibly pull any more stuff out of your rear end? If you dont understand how detrimental a failing economy is, especially to a game where ALL trade goes through one point, why are you even talking?

Who said they were doing any of that? Could you possibly pull any more stuff out of your rear end? If you dont understand how detrimental a failing economy is, especially to a game where ALL trade goes through one point, why are you even talking?
    Detrimental as in having to play the game a different way? Yeah it's the end of gaming... the end of the world soon to follow.

What part of this that you yourself linked don't you understand?

"Certain items that would probably skyrocket in price due to demand would be things like potatoes/wheat/etc but nobody in their right minds sells them because they're more useful in beer than selling for the paltry sum they are set for."

The part where you don't sell potatoes in this game?

You and he are just saying "this doesn't work like WOW." No shit, Sherlock. It doesn't.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

You know I've been playing these games since DAOC, even played one of the most "economically-minded" friendly games to exist (SWG), and not once has the in game economy meant a thing to me. It seemed pretty obvious this game wouldn't be a game for those seeking such a play-style, so why does the economies fate play much of a role in the core audiences likely-hood of continuing on? So say the "economy" crumbles, what exactly happens as a result?

I remember these kinds of post in reference to SWG during the NGE, the economy is doomed therefor the game is doomed. Yet the game survived on such a system much longer than it existed under it's prior economically focused core. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Iselin said:

Detrimental as in having to play the game a different way? Yeah it's the end of gaming... the end of the world soon to follow.

What part of this that you yourself linked don't you understand?

"Certain items that would probably skyrocket in price due to demand would be things like potatoes/wheat/etc but nobody in their right minds sells them because they're more useful in beer than selling for the paltry sum they are set for."

The part where you don't sell potatoes in this game?

You and he are just saying "this doesn't work like WOW." No shit, Sherlock. It doesn't.
    You are using one examples of potatoes, when you obviously dont understand the larger problem and its implications. Who said anything about WoW? You have the mental capacity of a walnut. Its very amusing.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Blader release will cause a big spike in interest.  When they allow cash shop items to be sold on the marketplace, there's going to be a big backlash.  Both of these things are going to happen, it's a matter of when and how Daum orders them that will determine when the game is going to hit the fan.

Also it's very likely there will be a pretty big fallout once the crafters/traders hit 45 and beyond.  Eventually that's going to happen and all signs point to it not being a pleasant experience for them.

Don't really think the fact that the marketplace is borked is going to push away too many people.  If they can stand the 1 free tattered outfit/no dye/pay for advantage cash shop, they're likely to gloss over not being able to buy whatever they want in the marketplace.

This is all assuming Daum can manage to keep the game functioning.  Seems like there's been some pretty big bugs lately (people on EU getting 300x xp for fishing this weekend, for example, mobs not attacking as another recent example).

My estimate: 3 months.  Game won't die but lots will be bailing.  Then f2p kicks in giving it another good 2 months with the fresh blood.
    Distopia said:

You know I've been playing these games since DAOC, even played one of the most "economically-minded" friendly games to exist (SWG), and not once has the in game economy meant a thing to me. It seemed pretty obvious this game wouldn't be a game for those seeking such a play-style, so why does the economies fate play much of a role in the core audiences likely-hood of continuing on? So say the "economy" crumbles, what exactly happens as a result?

I remember these kinds of post in reference to SWG during the NGE, the economy is doomed therefor the game is doomed. Yet the game survived on such a system much longer than it existed under it's prior economically focused core. 
    Welcome to the less than half a brain club :)

All this moaning about how you can't become the potato king. Makes me wonder why others play.

There is nothing more trivial in this game than contributing 1 point in a potato farm, hire a worker and send him there to farm potatoes whenever you want some. Why do you do it? Because presumably, you have some personal use for the potatoes. Saying that because potatoes are in demand the marketplace should reflect that by raising the price is idiotic when you consider that anyone and everyone can grow them with no effort.

Rarer items with real consensual value do fluctuate in price. It happened with different pieces of Agerian armor when that was the go-to armor of choice for everyone. Now that Grunil is in the game, the price has dropped steadily.

What you can't do and what the fans of the economic meta-game of other MMOs can't seem to live without, causing endless predictions about economic doom, is buy-up every piece of Agerian armor in the marketplace and re-post it at an exorbitant price. And that, IMHO, is a damn good thing.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

You are using one examples of potatoes, when you obviously dont understand the larger problem and its implications. Who said anything about WoW? You have the mental capacity of a walnut. Its very amusing.
    Is there some reason for your preoccupation with half-brains and mental capacities? Insecurity perhaps?

Go ahead, use another example if you don't like the potatoes referenced in your original link. I'll wait for your superior intelligence to enlighten us.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited April 2016
    Yep, the economy is not defunct...it is a feature!
    Distopia said:

Here's one example: If the economy in BDO crumbles, it will be impossible to make a profit on anything, rendering crafting useless. No one is selling good boats and horses because they wont make a profit. Its a waste of their time, this leads to a lot of expensive crafted materials being horded. Anyone unlucky enough to need or not be able to get something deemed unworthy is out of luck.

This is just one example however. It will get much worse.