Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your favorite MMORPG Game you ever played in the past 10 years? And why?

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    That last ten years? That's a tough one. I'd have to base that on the one which had the most engrossing story, lore, and atmosphere, I'd have to say AOC. 

While ESO and TOR might beat it out in presentation/writing, AOC had a charm I just haven't felt or found in the latter titles. It was a  game with lots of atmosphere, that really benefited from it's IP.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    EQ2. Why? Because it has the best housing, questing, crafting and exploring in the business. No one else can compete.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    While I had an amazing time in my first game (lineage 2) I think I'm going to say Vanguard. It was the closest to what I thought an mmo "would be".
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Distopia said:
    That last ten years? That's a tough one. I'd have to base that on the one which had the most engrossing story, lore, and atmosphere, I'd have to say AOC. 

While ESO and TOR might beat it out in presentation/writing, AOC had a charm I just haven't felt or found in the latter titles. It was a  game with lots of atmosphere, that really benefited from it's IP.
    I have to agree with this. AoC had atmosphere in spades.  There's very few worlds that actually felt real to me.  Well except for Kara Korum.  Whoever designed that zone should go work on a chicken farm for a few years.
  • wiennaswiennas Member UncommonPosts: 67
    edited April 2016
    Perfect World International & SilkRoad Online.

PWI had a great group play, selfish, rushing,..gameplay from the individual was often followed by death of your entire group,...at the start it took years for the development of your virtual avatar,...with the time, the game has changed to a ''modern mmo'', where group play has become a sideshow, solo all the way, while you achive the max.lvl,...within 1-2 months,...
    SilkRoad Online for crazy fun trading system & character development, many mmos today still try to copy their trading system, like Black Desert, Moonlight Blade,..all fail to come close. I did not play any other mmo yet, where you could with good character development defeat someone with NPC gear up to 10 lvl's higher as you, even if she/he had better equipment too. At the same time class diversity, the difference between playing an ''euro archer or asian archer'' was like day & night difference, today mmos doesn't offer such diversity anymore, let alone countless number of beautiful armors,..which had look and still look better as today cash shop costumes in top class mmos.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    The last 10 years takes us back to 2006 and the best MMO's where all out well before that. Due to WoW's success a lot of them changed drastically in an effort to cash in on similar levels of success, something that didn't go to well for them.

So to keep it to 10 years is tough. I can't think of any that stand out. I can't even vote for WoW because it was around that time that they did a 180 on their early promises and started introducing faction grinding and daily quests, something I've always hated.

So I pick - None of the above.
  • DarkalloyDarkalloy Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Hmm... Ten years tough call. That is more or less around the time when I actually got internet. Let's see what all did I play that came out around then. DDO, Tabula Rasa, WAR, Vanguard, Hmm... I know I'm forgetting one.

Though if I had to pick out of all of those, Tabula Rasa wins out. I had so much fun with it. From what I can remember of the story I enjoyed it quite a bit. The classes were fun to play and the environment was quite pretty to look at. It's been so long though that I can't quite remember everything about it though sadly.

I will say that DDO and WAR tie for Second and Vanguard is third. Not sure why they go in that order but they do.

Oh yeah the one I couldn't remember Guildwars, that's fourth for sure. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Marvel Heroes .. because it can be played as a great single player game. 
    Cmon Nari, even the Hulk teamed up with the Avengers from time to time.  ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    I have to admit, Vanilla WoW is my first choice because of the scale and the variety of zones involve. Like it or not, it was immersive when it was first released. I could still remember the first time I stepped into Ironforge.

Next up would be Ragnarok Online. It was my first MMO. Still having the same immersive and large in scale. They are also, tons of builds to use and also elemental attack was a thing (which I like).
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Last 10 years? EVE since I've been playing it a good amount of time since 2007.

Tremendous player interaction opportunities, conflict and competition at multiple levels that go far beyond PVP.

Despite it's bad reputation I've found it to be the most social MMORPG I've ever played, and always have managed to find great organizations to be part of.

As I often say, EVE isn't just a game you play, it's a virtual world you live in and can strongly influence events and environments in many, many ways.

Interstellar conflict on a massive scale, the current "World War Bee" is changing the landscape of null sec which will last for years, but one day again change of course.

Last fall one organization declared itself the winners of EVE and established their "Imperium"

Today that group and its allies are retreating to low sec as they're being totally driven from null sec along with their allies.

Nothing quite like EVE out there, likely there never will be, hence its been my exclusive home for several years now.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited April 2016
    CoX.

That CC, and what you could do with it, was just so amazing. One of the original scaling systems, sidekicking rocked the house as far as playing with your friends. The pace was perfect, the powers were fun and responsive, and the original lootless system was something you could show to people who believed loot progression was the only design answer.

And the best "group finder" PuG creation tool I've ever seen to this day.

RIP CoH.
  • Talon_DeathravenTalon_Deathraven Member UncommonPosts: 46
    edited April 2016
    Shadowbane my first mmorpg - At the time i start playing i not fully understood what a mmo means and thats whay was super awsome.
    WoW - because WoW
    Archeage - for a time it truly give me the impresion of a free world and hard working for nice rewards.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    It is a tough choice between DAOC and WOW.  Have to go with DAOC.  Still play it currently.  The pvp/rvr never gets old.  As well as so many classes to choose from :-D
  • FroopinFroopin Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Last 10 years..... Well that counts out vanilla WoW then....

Hmm... So I will plump for Lord of The Rings Online, not in it's present guise though: From release The Siege of Angmar through Mines of Moria expansion. The lore, as everyone knows, is immense and all there in the game. The epic quest chain, great group content, beautiful immersive World with bags of atmosphere and a lovely community.

Alas it was not to last, as the devs took some wrong turns and it is a shadow of it's former self nowadays :/
  • VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    Sovrath said:
    While I had an amazing time in my first game (lineage 2) I think I'm going to say Vanguard. It was the closest to what I thought an mmo "would be".
    I wish I would have found this game earlier (pre-F2P).  I think I would have enjoyed my time there.

VG

• RookTaviousRookTavious Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Oh geez I'm gonna take a hit for this but...SWTOR. okokok..I know, its a bit dull with no real danger of loosing any battle, but, I find the story lines full and engrossing, the new PVP system is way cooler than ever, I got a fricken bungalow on Corsicant, and my sith chicks got a great asset to look at while I'm tossing lightning about. AND darkside darkside darkside....Why, yes, I did have Star Wars curtains as a child, why would you ask?
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    I highly doubt any game will get me to bank as many hours as EVE did. Even if she is more a memory now. Took over ten years to get to that though.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Kyleran said:
    Marvel Heroes .. because it can be played as a great single player game. 
    Cmon Nari, even the Hulk teamed up with the Avengers from time to time.  ;)
    I team up all the time .. with NPC team up heroes. You don't need a human player to have a team-up. 
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    edited April 2016
    Favorite Game I played is FFXI at this point. (I do not consider FFXI-abysea + to be the same game at all... it is a 180 direction change). Played from 2002-abysea I believe midway through 2010 or 2011 cannot exactly remember.

1) Strong Economy
    2) All Jobs on 1 character
    3) Subjob system (where it actually matters and changes the role of your job completly.
    4) Limited content Negation. (all content from expansion 1 to abysea (ffxi-2) remained relevant)
    5) Due to the above litteraly over 160hrs a week of possible content to do that was for RELEVANT endgame progression.
    6) Game was guild focused and content did not require strict number. Could do anything with 6-12-18 all the way to 30+ and it was not a negate. No one was ever left out.
    7) Game was not a rotation button masher.
    8) Game had increadible debt to almost all the systems. Weaknesses, strengths, weather effects, day effects, moon phase effects, directionals.
    9) There was no single end all be all BIS gear.
    10) Crafting was incorperated into endgame gear. Aka A crafted piece in some cases was BIS for that sitation. This kept all crafts relevant for the entirety of the game. Since crafting was always relevant gathering remained profitable.
    11) Mutiple roles. Kiter, Tank, Healer, Damage Dealer, Support, Crowd Control, Enfeebling, Stun, Hate control and utility (thf). not the strict tank, healer, dps bs.

Honestly this was a game that you could play as much as you wanted with your guild... and honestly it was impossible to run out of stuff to do at endgame. IT was truly an almost seeminly endless mmo.  Now of course there are negative of the game... it is probably the most solo unfriendly mmo on the planet. But I do not understand why people want to solo in mmorpgs to begin with.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    edited April 2016
    cox.  Character creation, travel powers, great for solo and group play. Rikti Dynamic event (before others had it).  Hunting medals for the achievement system (before others had it).  Other things was the scaling they had.  Later we had the difficulty sliders and the release of CoV.  Then we got Masterminds!
    Post edited by waynejr2 on
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    SHADOWBANE on private servers ..still play time to time but some ppl dont know how to run em ..i fell into ESO just for the pvp at the peak  time at release and was fun...still playing AA cuz its free and everything is utter crap

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited April 2016
    I don't have a single favorite, but in no particular order, i'd say EQ2, WoW, Lotro, Swtor, and GW2.  They were my most played MMO's that i always went back to throughout the years.
  • preston326preston326 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    There were couple. WoW until Cataclysm. Knight Online and Archlord. Then more recently Wildstar and ESO.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    AA,

It's one of the few that I played until cap.

I self identify as a monkey.

• LunarshadeLunarshade Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Marvel Heroes is the best for me I am truly addicted I could play it for another 20 years probably it relaxes me and I love the heroes. ARPGs just seem to be that perfect fit of play a little time or a lot and still accomplish something. I am looking forward to more news from Camelot Unchained for a possible second game for me to spend time on.