Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Way Forward for a Genre

Comments

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    I remember hearing all this fluff about Archeage...what happened to that one?

Also, all BDO gamers must be SOOO excited for the recent patch:

"One of the first things they also did was up the chat limit from a 100 characters to 350 because (justly) people thought it was way too short."

Wow...that's breathetaking

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    DMKano said:
    Volgore said:
    " what’s important to know going into Black Desert is that the whole game is "end-game"."

I guess i have reached a point where it's fair to say that i love you forever. <3

Except that the whole game is not endgame at all.

If that was the case all systems like PvP would be available from level 1.

You can pvp from level 1 in the dueling areas in towns. In Korea you can even choose not to do pvp at all by not taking the pvp quest. Just because you can't gank people until level 45 does not mean that murdering players is "end-game".

In fact pvp in BDO is probably its least interesting aspect: node wars, ganking, etc is one activity among many others that you can do at a high level, but that does not make it "end-game".
  • omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99
    If I replace Black Desert in this article with any mmo names, I think it will work just as well as your other articles... what a shocker?
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    [quote]LONGEVITY: 10 | I’ve played or have been logged into Black Desert Online on my Ranger for nearly 10 days (240 hours). I’m still only halfway to the level cap, and have only seen a small fraction of the game’s world and systems. To say that BDO is the gift that keeps on giving would be an understatement. If BDO clicks with you, it’ll last you an inordinate amount of time.[/quote]

can't we rate longevity after 6 months or so? When I met a girl I always like to believe she's the future Mrs Keller, but the next morning I usually changed my mind.
  • NikbulNikbul Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Well said. 2 cents from me: This game is NOT for everybody. As Bill notes, it is close to EVE, huge learning curve and mentality rebuild required from instanced linear quest runs. Do almost whatever you pleased to do, go hunting, gathering, grinding, fishing, diving, ocean hunting... Whatever. Nobody really pushes you. Contribution points are easy to obtain if needed. There is no Big Shining Target that says END GAME CONTENT PRIZE WINNER!!!! fap fap fap. Relax, take your time, immerse yourself in this world, feel it.
    And yeah, it is nice for a change to get EXP not only for mobs grinding, but literally for Everything you do. So you could level up without any combat at all if wanted.

Not all of us want to skyrocket to 50+ lvl and then polish armor to +17 or +18 lvl. No real need. There is no pressure there to go up. Plus there hell of a lot of bonuses that you will lose along the way to lvl 50 in a week. This game forcing you to take different approach. If you come here just to get to lvl 50 and wait for game to throw something at you, you will be disappointed.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    im at the same stage as Bill, my main has 16 days played, and I am level 25.

I have spent zero in the cash shop fwiw, and feel no need to do so, even for "convenience"
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    koljane said:
    8.6 is just lol !!!
    Only magazine i take relevant when it comes to review gave it 7.2.
    Question is how much is to pay for the score on mmorpg?
    You guys are a disgrace !
    How much have they paid to post this comment? Do you work for a mmorpg.com's rival site or BDO's rival game? 
    You are a disgrace! 

O.o  >:) :p o:)
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Spot on review Bill.. I've been playing since since conq pack early start and my highest character is 26. This game is deeper than a deep thing that's very deep.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    This game sure did get a lot of points for its aesthetics IMO. I think the game is pretty boring. Its got a lot of filler crap but nothing to sink my teeth in. It felt a lot like more of the same with some minor changes.

Frankly to me... BDO = BORING and I actually regret buying it lol.
  • shellusshellus Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Very fun game glad I dropped the $30 to get in. Not a huge fan of some of the RNG elements of the game, but I think the game provides so many other options that are not RNG heavy that I can look past it.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

koljane said:

koljane said:

8.6 is just lol !!!

"Wow! These guys don't share my opinion! They HAVE to be bribed. That's the ONLY way something like that could ever be possible!"

Well, i have done over 400 reviews in my life and play games from C64 (Commodore 64, if you are young and dont know what C64 means).

And I know how to look in game in general. Yes, there are things that are good, specialy graphics but there is so much Asian grind just nicely packed.

Back in the days there was a game called Ultima Online (maybe Bill knows about that game cause I see how he is liking coments that are trown at me but I understand, cause there is family to support and money to earn) that had that "Job after a job way of playing" and it was mind blowing but it is alreay seen and we have mass games coming with similar aproach.

Score with 90+ is a serious bussines and with the lack of lot of things in game and bugs that are still present game cant go 90.

Never said that game is bad i sad that 90+ is LOL cause game is in range of 70 -78 on a best day.

My point is that score fror Black Desert is boosted and there are only 2 ways why: Author is not objective toward game cause he is so supportiv and ignore facts or money talks in wich case i belive more.

So you're one of those types who thinks they know what everyone likes, or should I say "should like"

Get off yourself, and I've been playing personal computer games since the original TRS80 if you are young and don't know what that is.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    I can agree with Bill on the journey part. One thing about this game is I never felt like I needed to rush to the end game to make it easier to play like I did with GW2. There is so much to do you could spend months just messing with the life skills system; if and only if it's something that interests you. I know its not for everyone though. Talking to NPC was interesting, I hope they take the mini games to the next level; I really like mini games in any game actually.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited April 2016
    Mardukk said:
    Revolutionary game.
    Not really, most MMOs have crafting too....
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    The only thing to remember is that BDO is not for completionists. They might as well hang themselves, since there is too much to do. When you treat game as a place where you do things or not according to your... wishes. Unusual for a MMORPG, ain't it?

Also, BDO is easy to get into. Just remember that a lot of quests hidden by default. Push that magic button and voila! - you can see quests that teaches you about everything. Really, they don't just put you right in the middle of the ocean. Game teach, game lead, game make you understand. They easy player into it. It is complex, but it's just a game.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Loving the game, really does have a LOT of ways to make money and progress your character. And it never pigeon holes you into one thing. You are free to change it up at any time, which is nice. Only thing locked is your combat class, but you can make alts and swap gear so it's not too bad.

I don't play this game for Story, Lore, or Voiceovers. I don't really get texture pop-ins all that much. I have an awesome costume and that is enough for me to buy on the cash shop.

For me the cons are the gear-disparity. But I try not to let it bother me. If you play this game for 12 months straight, you will be basically on par with everyone else, even when the 16-20 enchantment levels are added. The game DEMANDS patience, which is both a PRO and a CON depending on who you ask.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    A nice review, but mmorpg.com scored Rift, Aion, Warlords of Draenor and Destiny higher than BDO. That I don't agree with. It should be a solid 9.0 in the mmorpg.com scoring system.
    DMKano said:
    YashaX said:
    DMKano said:
    Volgore said:
    " what’s important to know going into Black Desert is that the whole game is "end-game"."

I guess i have reached a point where it's fair to say that i love you forever. <3

Except that the whole game is not endgame at all.

If that was the case all systems like PvP would be available from level 1.

You can pvp from level 1 in the dueling areas in towns. In Korea you can even choose not to do pvp at all by not taking the pvp quest. Just because you can't gank people until level 45 does not mean that murdering players is "end-game".

In fact pvp in BDO is probably its least interesting aspect: node wars, ganking, etc is one activity among many others that you can do at a high level, but that does not make it "end-game".
    Dueling is controlled and consensual - open world PvP (which is an end game feature) is none of those things, it's nowhere the same.

Does Black Desert have a progression in gear and leveling up? 
    Do you in fact get more powerful as you get higher level and better gear?
    Are there bigger and better/more powerful skills that unluck at higher levels?

High level IS end game - the stuff that you can only do post 45 (like open world PvP which is again nowhere the same as dueling) is the core design of Black Desert - as the game started out as an open PvP game - this is how PA designed the game - open world PvP at level 15 - Daum swooped in and changed it to much higher level.

Also weapon awakening happens at 56 - it doesn't happen at level 1, this is a MAJOR system for class progression and development - for example Berskers Fist cannon provides much needed range as well as ~80% higher damage for berserkers. Same goes for other awakend weapons - they are all a major boost and a definite end game unlock.

All of this is high level stuff which is without a doubt the actual end game content.

So I must say you have it wrong here - High level is end game content in Black Desert.

World bosses - try doing those at level 1.

I don't see how your response fits with what I said. I know you are sad that the game is not a ffa owpvp gank fest with the same systems as AA, you have been complaining about it for over a year now. Just let it go.

The devs tried out various ideas and kept the things that worked, which is the game we have now. Although it would work a lot better in NA/EU if they retained the same pvp system as in Korea - that wasn't the devs idea mind you, they changed it to meet the needs of the region. Unfortunately they seem to have been given the wrong advice as to what the majority of Western players enjoy.
  • koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171
    laserit said:

koljane said:

koljane said:

8.6 is just lol !!!

"Wow! These guys don't share my opinion! They HAVE to be bribed. That's the ONLY way something like that could ever be possible!"

Well, i have done over 400 reviews in my life and play games from C64 (Commodore 64, if you are young and dont know what C64 means).

And I know how to look in game in general. Yes, there are things that are good, specialy graphics but there is so much Asian grind just nicely packed.

Back in the days there was a game called Ultima Online (maybe Bill knows about that game cause I see how he is liking coments that are trown at me but I understand, cause there is family to support and money to earn) that had that "Job after a job way of playing" and it was mind blowing but it is alreay seen and we have mass games coming with similar aproach.

Score with 90+ is a serious bussines and with the lack of lot of things in game and bugs that are still present game cant go 90.

Never said that game is bad i sad that 90+ is LOL cause game is in range of 70 -78 on a best day.

My point is that score fror Black Desert is boosted and there are only 2 ways why: Author is not objective toward game cause he is so supportiv and ignore facts or money talks in wich case i belive more.

So you're one of those types who thinks they know what everyone likes, or should I say "should like"

Get off yourself, and I've been playing personal computer games since the original TRS80 if you are young and don't know what that is.
    Before you post something like this i would kindly suggest you read first, then think about what i wrote then post your coment. Guess you are old so you are not that sharp anymore :dizzy: 
    koljane said:
    laserit said:

koljane said:

koljane said:

8.6 is just lol !!!

Before you post something like this i would kindly suggest you read first, then think about what i wrote then post your coment. Guess you are old so you are not that sharp anymore :dizzy: 
    I read your post and thought pretty much the same thing as Laserit (actually my thoughts were far more .... critical). 
  • koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Volgore said:

koljane said:

8.6 is just lol !!!

If it's another magazine you take relevant only, then why the outrage over this irrelevant's sites's score?
    Because:

Svet Kompjutera - 72 - Serbian Magazine that is old 35 years and the person who wrote the review is someone i know for over 20 years and i know how he is pasioned when it comes to RPG gender and has more experience in writing and gaming then Bill for shure. (To be on Bill`s side he is not the one who gave this game this hight score).
    Metacritic: 75
    MMO`s: 4 out of 5
    Gamespot: 7
    etc...

And again , we talk here about the "Score" the game got not how good game is. Cause game is good, cause 75 means  that game is good and 86 means game is great.
    That is just good enough for some players to grab the wallet before reserch.
    Personaly, I dont get offened by ppl who do not agree with my point of view but I am happy that everyone can see my side and maybe reserch it more before dive in this good game and what it offers and not offering.

Cheers

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Another great feature-  By the time I reach level 50, the power gamer who grinded to 50 and ignored all of the depth the game has to offer, will have come and gone leaving a much better and brighter non-toxic community. 

For or those looking for a much more living virtual world, give this game a try. I feel like Star Wars Galaxies, Vanguard, and Archage just had a baby and it's great. 
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    While I dont like BDO nor do I want to play it.  I am glad to see a game get some things right.  Leveling should not be a few day event and then you start the end game grind.  This proves that the formula that WOW Started in WOTLK does not work for MMORPGs.  

The 3 reasons I will not be playing BDO

#1 Combat, I dont like action combat and never will 
    #2 I like my Vanilla\TBC like Dungeons 
    #3 I dont like the way the in game economy works.  

these 3 things are killer to any game I play, O plus I dont like F2P/B2P games
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited April 2016
    Cash Shop, Cash Shop, Cash Shop.  The longer you play the more it will be required.  That is a immediate -10 far as I am concerned.  

All of you are just wasting your time in this game.  Bill you are nuts to think this game has a 10 for longevity!
    There is NO longevity, you have to be a masochist to enjoy the grind after 50 all the while getting constantly ganked. 

All this game is is a pretty Korean grinder that offers NOTHING new to the genre.  

The game will be a ghost town within a year.  There are a lot better games out there and some that have far better pvp if that is your thing.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited April 2016
    Volgore said:

There are people literally spending time drowning themselves over and over so they don't get level 45 and get pvp-enabled.

Is drowning yourself over and over part of the end-game?  Or is there perhaps something these people are trying to avoid that's different from the rest of the game?
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:
    Distopia said:
    DMKano said:
    gatheris said:
    @DMKano "Very fair review fland I agree with it while you are in honeymoon phase the game is definitely an 8.6/10

However once you reach 52/53 + right now and are doing the end game gearing and PvP, it's nowhere near as good.

Getting beyond +15 is a niche experience and the vast majority of players will quit before they see any of their gear getting to +16 even.

Bottom line - very fun and very engrossing early on, falls off the cliff once you hit end game pretty fast and becomes a very niche game where a higher +number in gear means everything"

please stop that - the repetition is getting old
    end game is not the end game you have chosen - simple as that
    those that have played happily without a care about leveling to soft cap will continue to do so once that cap is reached
    and that is what is so cool about this game and only this game (as far as I know) - you really are given choices

You are given choices in every game - that doesn't mean that there is NOT a well defined end game however. 

Example in Archeage you could only do farming and trade packs - it's a choice but that's not the end game.

In ESO, WoW, Rift, you could level alts and only quest - again choice not an end game.

Same in BDO - you can do all the horizontal ancillary things like horse breeding and fishing and trade .... none of those are end game.

The end game is clearly defined in BDO like it is in many games - and that's what the vast majority of the players end up doing.

So please stop with this "oh but you don't have to do that in BDO" - it's a copout. You can piddle with non end game stuff in EVERY MMO.

I am here for end game in every MMO so I judge them on actual endgame stuff that devs put in.

In BDO it's gear up and PvP - that is the intended endgame
    That's a rather narrow view of an MMO's worth as far as options/choices go. To compare the options you have in say ESO vs the options in something like SWG is like night and day, ESO is a game that is focused on an "endgame" ...Cyrodil, trials etc.. those are endgame. That endgame has little to do with creating the foundation of a world though. I think it's a copout to ignore this to make an arbitrary point like you just did. Especially since it seemed aimed at diminishing the worth of a more worldly approach, that isn't so focused on grinds, gear (trophies more or less), flexing or min-maxing (IE endgame). 

Fair point - however would you agree that Black Desert has a clearly defined gear centric end game?

Even if you choose to do PvE activities all the time it is inevitable that you will eventually get to 45 at which point like it or not PvP is on and you are a possible target.

So the end game by core design is clearly PvP, and gear is by far the most dominant aspect of power, and in fact the vast majority of players involved in afk fishing or trade or horse breeding is as an alternative source of silver ... so they can gear up..... to PvP better. 

Again the end game is as clear as day in Black Desert. 
    I could turn that around and say that the purpose of PVP is to control nodes and regions (even if they still haven't given us that in NA/EU...it's coming) in order to amass wealth. So the end game is being wealthy. PVP is just a means to that end... and only one of them :) 
    Yeah but what are you going to spending your riches on?  

The game economy only makes sense if you like to PVP.  You obtain wealth so you can gear up and PVP.  By PVPing you get more wealth and levels.  That means you get stronger in PVP.

If you never PVP and get super rich doing the stardew valley side activities, what are you going to do with that money?  Decorate your house?

I know for a fact you won't be using it to buy costumes, pets, weight/inventory increases.

Besides, all the best house-decorating stuff is in the cash shop too so you can't even do that.

People are doing extreme mental gymnastics to say "Sure the unbalanced gear-dependent PVP endgame sucks- but it doesn't matter!"