Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nostalrius Servers Issued Court Order to Close Shop

1235714

Comments

  • RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    I smile when people argue in favour of paying more money to blizzard. Its not some poor old artist deserving to get paid anymore, its an exploiting megacorporation with no soul existing only to extract more cash from players. 

    They got paid for WoW many years ago, it should be free to play now with no cash shop and they should be licking gamers boots for making them what they are. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 7,338
    Ramajama said:
    I smile when people argue in favour of paying more money to blizzard. Its not some poor old artist deserving to get paid anymore, its an exploiting megacorporation with no soul existing only to extract more cash from players. 

    They got paid for WoW many years ago, it should be free to play now with no cash shop and they should be licking gamers boots for making them what they are. 
    you do realize that 1000s of people own millions of shares in Blizz/Act , you do realize that many have invested heavily into them ,(basing there future and retirements at some lvl))  there growth and suceess, You realize that Blizz/Act has a responsibilty to these investors ( yes i am one and have been many many years)
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,200
    Ramajama said:
    I smile when people argue in favour of paying more money to blizzard. Its not some poor old artist deserving to get paid anymore, its an exploiting megacorporation with no soul existing only to extract more cash from players. 

    They got paid for WoW many years ago, it should be free to play now with no cash shop and they should be licking gamers boots for making them what they are. 

    Lord knows no one works for them that actually needs a paycheck to continue not being on welfare...but hey whatever they can live with you and you can support them...how many can you support 5 or 10?
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,275
    SBFord said:
    Herase said:
    Why? People do realize this was a voluntary project right and no profits were being made of this?

    Even so, are we honestly going to say blizz, a multi million dollar company was upset over a tiny private server?

    Someone said would I care if I was blizz? Fuck no, why would I? The only time It would cross my mind is if I knew I was doing a utter shit job and someone was doing it better than me.

    When people cheer and jump up an down to these kinds of things when it has no effect on them what so ever, it tends to be out of fear or desperation.

    So I feel there is a lot more to this than meets the eye imho

    It is both a legal issue and a matter of principle. These administrators neither own the intellectual property rights to World of Warcraft nor did they expend the effort to create the game, both of which require copious amounts of money to do and something Blizzard did. Legally, they have every right to shut down that server and any other for what amounts to theft.

    Put another way: Let's say you wrote a best-selling novel that made millions and then made revisions that some people did not like. If those upset people took your book, a thing created with your blood, sweat and tears, and made copies to sell to all other disaffected people, would you not be upset? I would. My creation, my right to sell and profit from it.

    While these folks may not "profit" from their activities, I'll bet there's a prominent "donate" button to keep the servers running. While not profit in their pockets, it amounts to the same thing since without the donations, they could not keep things going.

    Lastly, the "offer" to give server information to "anyone who wants to make their own private server speaks to their high and mighty ideals, doesn't it?
    Let's say you invested millions or billions inventing a medical device that improves the quality of millions of lives. Or a popular consumer product that makes your life easier and more enjoyable. Products you actually have to purchase raw materials for and manufacture, where you have to risk money to produce them period. 

    In the U.S. you would have 20 years of protection before others can knock off your product.  Your intellectual property has an expiry date.

    Why should the games industry be treated differently? Why is their intellectual property protected perpetually?

    Your Government is being strongly lobbied to change the laws concerning pharmaceutical patents. The pharmaceutical companies want their intellectual property to be protected perpetually just like the games industry. Their arguments sound just as legitimate as yours.

    It would be a sad sad day for the every day working stiff, if that ever comes to pass.      

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,200
    edited April 2016
    laserit said:
    SBFord said:
    Herase said:
    Why? People do realize this was a voluntary project right and no profits were being made of this?

    Even so, are we honestly going to say blizz, a multi million dollar company was upset over a tiny private server?

    Someone said would I care if I was blizz? Fuck no, why would I? The only time It would cross my mind is if I knew I was doing a utter shit job and someone was doing it better than me.

    When people cheer and jump up an down to these kinds of things when it has no effect on them what so ever, it tends to be out of fear or desperation.

    So I feel there is a lot more to this than meets the eye imho

    It is both a legal issue and a matter of principle. These administrators neither own the intellectual property rights to World of Warcraft nor did they expend the effort to create the game, both of which require copious amounts of money to do and something Blizzard did. Legally, they have every right to shut down that server and any other for what amounts to theft.

    Put another way: Let's say you wrote a best-selling novel that made millions and then made revisions that some people did not like. If those upset people took your book, a thing created with your blood, sweat and tears, and made copies to sell to all other disaffected people, would you not be upset? I would. My creation, my right to sell and profit from it.

    While these folks may not "profit" from their activities, I'll bet there's a prominent "donate" button to keep the servers running. While not profit in their pockets, it amounts to the same thing since without the donations, they could not keep things going.

    Lastly, the "offer" to give server information to "anyone who wants to make their own private server speaks to their high and mighty ideals, doesn't it?
    Let's say you invested millions or billions inventing a medical device that improves the quality of millions of lives. Or a popular consumer product that makes your life easier and more enjoyable. Products you actually have to purchase raw materials for and manufacture, where you have to risk money to produce them period. 

    In the U.S. you would have 20 years of protection before others can knock off your product.  Your intellectual property has an expiry date.

    Why should the games industry be treated differently? Why is their intellectual property protected perpetually?

    Your Government is being strongly lobbied to change the laws concerning pharmaceutical patents. The pharmaceutical companies want their intellectual property to be protected perpetually just like the games industry. Their arguments sound just as legitimate as yours.

    It would be a sad sad day for the every day working stiff, if that ever comes to pass.      
    The idea they can take your exact product they cannot.  They would have to take the time to actually MAKE the product not just take the other companies product and slap their label on it.  In this case they are not even changing the label.  Your example is wrong stop using it.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,275
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    SBFord said:
    Herase said:
    Why? People do realize this was a voluntary project right and no profits were being made of this?

    Even so, are we honestly going to say blizz, a multi million dollar company was upset over a tiny private server?

    Someone said would I care if I was blizz? Fuck no, why would I? The only time It would cross my mind is if I knew I was doing a utter shit job and someone was doing it better than me.

    When people cheer and jump up an down to these kinds of things when it has no effect on them what so ever, it tends to be out of fear or desperation.

    So I feel there is a lot more to this than meets the eye imho

    It is both a legal issue and a matter of principle. These administrators neither own the intellectual property rights to World of Warcraft nor did they expend the effort to create the game, both of which require copious amounts of money to do and something Blizzard did. Legally, they have every right to shut down that server and any other for what amounts to theft.

    Put another way: Let's say you wrote a best-selling novel that made millions and then made revisions that some people did not like. If those upset people took your book, a thing created with your blood, sweat and tears, and made copies to sell to all other disaffected people, would you not be upset? I would. My creation, my right to sell and profit from it.

    While these folks may not "profit" from their activities, I'll bet there's a prominent "donate" button to keep the servers running. While not profit in their pockets, it amounts to the same thing since without the donations, they could not keep things going.

    Lastly, the "offer" to give server information to "anyone who wants to make their own private server speaks to their high and mighty ideals, doesn't it?
    Let's say you invested millions or billions inventing a medical device that improves the quality of millions of lives. Or a popular consumer product that makes your life easier and more enjoyable. Products you actually have to purchase raw materials for and manufacture, where you have to risk money to produce them period. 

    In the U.S. you would have 20 years of protection before others can knock off your product.  Your intellectual property has an expiry date.

    Why should the games industry be treated differently? Why is their intellectual property protected perpetually?

    Your Government is being strongly lobbied to change the laws concerning pharmaceutical patents. The pharmaceutical companies want their intellectual property to be protected perpetually just like the games industry. Their arguments sound just as legitimate as yours.

    It would be a sad sad day for the every day working stiff, if that ever comes to pass.      
    The idea they can take your exact product they cannot.  They would have to take the time to actually MAKE the product not just take the other companies product and slap their label on it.  In this case they are not even changing the label.  Your example is wrong stop using it.
    Oh Really?

    So I can manufacture a boardgame called Monopoly and sell it can I?

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,200
    edited April 2016
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    SBFord said:
    Herase said:
    Why? People do realize this was a voluntary project right and no profits were being made of this?

    Even so, are we honestly going to say blizz, a multi million dollar company was upset over a tiny private server?

    Someone said would I care if I was blizz? Fuck no, why would I? The only time It would cross my mind is if I knew I was doing a utter shit job and someone was doing it better than me.

    When people cheer and jump up an down to these kinds of things when it has no effect on them what so ever, it tends to be out of fear or desperation.

    So I feel there is a lot more to this than meets the eye imho

    It is both a legal issue and a matter of principle. These administrators neither own the intellectual property rights to World of Warcraft nor did they expend the effort to create the game, both of which require copious amounts of money to do and something Blizzard did. Legally, they have every right to shut down that server and any other for what amounts to theft.

    Put another way: Let's say you wrote a best-selling novel that made millions and then made revisions that some people did not like. If those upset people took your book, a thing created with your blood, sweat and tears, and made copies to sell to all other disaffected people, would you not be upset? I would. My creation, my right to sell and profit from it.

    While these folks may not "profit" from their activities, I'll bet there's a prominent "donate" button to keep the servers running. While not profit in their pockets, it amounts to the same thing since without the donations, they could not keep things going.

    Lastly, the "offer" to give server information to "anyone who wants to make their own private server speaks to their high and mighty ideals, doesn't it?
    Let's say you invested millions or billions inventing a medical device that improves the quality of millions of lives. Or a popular consumer product that makes your life easier and more enjoyable. Products you actually have to purchase raw materials for and manufacture, where you have to risk money to produce them period. 

    In the U.S. you would have 20 years of protection before others can knock off your product.  Your intellectual property has an expiry date.

    Why should the games industry be treated differently? Why is their intellectual property protected perpetually?

    Your Government is being strongly lobbied to change the laws concerning pharmaceutical patents. The pharmaceutical companies want their intellectual property to be protected perpetually just like the games industry. Their arguments sound just as legitimate as yours.

    It would be a sad sad day for the every day working stiff, if that ever comes to pass.      
    The idea they can take your exact product they cannot.  They would have to take the time to actually MAKE the product not just take the other companies product and slap their label on it.  In this case they are not even changing the label.  Your example is wrong stop using it.
    Oh Really?

    So I can manufacture a boardgame called Monopoly and sell it can I?

    that is where your stupid patent thing comes in.  Monopoly, Blizzards code, the medical equipment they have copyrights to the actual product.  You can make a game based on the idea of Monopoly, Wow used Game Workshop's ideas, and you could make a medical equipment based off the idea....but 20 year thing is not right.  Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.  No one can take your product and just distribute it as their own under the law.
  • sniperman248sniperman248 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    You know I get it blizzard worked hard for the IP and what they made so they don't want others using it and or they want to be paid for someone to use that IP but see there's the thing and yes there's always a but Blizzard has made more than enough profit off there IP alone to let a private server like that keep running. Blizzard definitely has enough money to where if all of a sudden 4 million or 5.4 million players quit out of no where that they would still be able to run the servers for another 5 to 10 years. Heck there are even companies that secretly approve of private servers of there game because they feel honored that someone out there thinks the game is worth that much as to make an older version that people like. But if blizzard does want to let money to go there heads when they've already made more than enough to toss out an expac for free to there veterans and still not hurt there profits. Then they need to come out with a vanilla WoW of there own instead of being lazy about it.
  • VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I'm glad blizzard is suing these thieves.
    And i hope they sue for damages caused by their 1 year of being online.

    They are stealing someone elses hard work all Private servers should be closed down and owners should be sued for every cent they made with these servers and a extra fee for every account that blizzard lost cause of these thieves.

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,398
    naami said:

    Sovrath said:
    naami said:
    What bothers me the most about this is that I read comments on the official forums about how people are happy that it's shutting down. Stuff like "Good riddance" and "Glad blizz is finally doing something about this". LIKE WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU. Why would you be happy that people are having something they enjoy taken away. It's just an old version of the game. It has no effect on you! I don't understand this mentality and honestly it makes me feel very uneasy. I don't think I want to play blizzard games again because of people like that.
    To play devil's advocate did you ever think they don't want to play with people like you who don't respect another's work  as well as their rights to completely control what they have wrought with their own effort and funds?

    That a group who capitalizes on the work of another without permission "just because they can" might make them feel just as disgusted/uneasy? And maybe they are exclaiming "wtf is wrong with you!?!?!"
    I didn't mean I don't want to play Blizzard games because they shut it down. I meant to say that it would be because of  the players that have that kind of attitude; being they are happy that other people won't be able to play the old version of the game they like. I don't play on any private server anyway. I don't play wow at all actually and haven't in a long time. It just upset me to read those kind of comments. 
    hmmm, well sorry to hear those comments upset you. I get that there is a lot of negativity on the internet and that in many ways it really is a cesspool for the worst type of behavior.

    And it's true, there are people who revel in the misery of others. Having said that, my guess is that many of those comments are really more fueled by their dislike for those who create private servers and they just don't channel that dislike very well.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
    edited April 2016
    You know I get it blizzard worked hard for the IP and what they made so they don't want others using it and or they want to be paid for someone to use that IP but see there's the thing and yes there's always a but Blizzard has made more than enough profit off there IP alone to let a private server like that keep running. Blizzard definitely has enough money to where if all of a sudden 4 million or 5.4 million players quit out of no where that they would still be able to run the servers for another 5 to 10 years. Heck there are even companies that secretly approve of private servers of there game because they feel honored that someone out there thinks the game is worth that much as to make an older version that people like. But if blizzard does want to let money to go there heads when they've already made more than enough to toss out an expac for free to there veterans and still not hurt there profits. Then they need to come out with a vanilla WoW of there own instead of being lazy about it.
    Who's to say what is "more than enough profit"? Personalize it. You work hard at  your job for 20 years and then someone comes in and says that you've made enough money for your career so now you get to work for free. Bet that wouldn't feel so good.

    Companies are not really there for the customer. Oh sure, they say they are, but what they are really about is making money. Just because they, according to you, have made "enough profit" is irrelevant. They want to make more and will keep doing so.

    I don't begrudge people playing games they love but not at the expense of stealing something that doesn't belong to them.


    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


  • popezaphodpopezaphod Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I assume that all the people who are saying "Stealing from Blizzard is wrong!" have never downloaded a single TV show or movie via BitTorrent, nor ripped a friend's CD or copied MP3s for their own use.  I am surprised by the number of saints in this discussion!  (I'm also disappointed that people don't know how to use your/you're or there/their, but really not surprised.)

    I completely disagree with the Blizz/ActiVision/ConHugeCo argument that running Legacy servers would make people think that WoW is crappy because they'd be judging the old game and not the latest and greatest.  Companies like GOG.com sell classic games and people know they're not getting the lates and greatest.  I don't want to play World of Pokemon-Farmville-Pandas; I want to play old school World of WarCraft.  Give me the option for $5-$10/mo and you have a revenue stream for a game that, granted, would take a bit of tweaking if you want it to talk to the current Blizznet architecture.  But if nothing else you would endear yourself to you gaming base - something that killing off private servers is not going to do.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,200
    I assume that all the people who are saying "Stealing from Blizzard is wrong!" have never downloaded a single TV show or movie via BitTorrent, nor ripped a friend's CD or copied MP3s for their own use.  I am surprised by the number of saints in this discussion!  (I'm also disappointed that people don't know how to use your/you're or there/their, but really not surprised.)

    I completely disagree with the Blizz/ActiVision/ConHugeCo argument that running Legacy servers would make people think that WoW is crappy because they'd be judging the old game and not the latest and greatest.  Companies like GOG.com sell classic games and people know they're not getting the lates and greatest.  I don't want to play World of Pokemon-Farmville-Pandas; I want to play old school World of WarCraft.  Give me the option for $5-$10/mo and you have a revenue stream for a game that, granted, would take a bit of tweaking if you want it to talk to the current Blizznet architecture.  But if nothing else you would endear yourself to you gaming base - something that killing off private servers is not going to do.

    Most people speed, but they do not sit around justifying it on forums.  They just accept their ticket and admit they were wrong. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 7,338
    I assume that all the people who are saying "Stealing from Blizzard is wrong!" have never downloaded a single TV show or movie via BitTorrent, nor ripped a friend's CD or copied MP3s for their own use.  I am surprised by the number of saints in this discussion!  (I'm also disappointed that people don't know how to use your/you're or there/their, but really not surprised.)

    I completely disagree with the Blizz/ActiVision/ConHugeCo argument that running Legacy servers would make people think that WoW is crappy because they'd be judging the old game and not the latest and greatest.  Companies like GOG.com sell classic games and people know they're not getting the lates and greatest.  I don't want to play World of Pokemon-Farmville-Pandas; I want to play old school World of WarCraft.  Give me the option for $5-$10/mo and you have a revenue stream for a game that, granted, would take a bit of tweaking if you want it to talk to the current Blizznet architecture.  But if nothing else you would endear yourself to you gaming base - something that killing off private servers is not going to do.
    no i havent
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,200
    many here sound like Nelson from the Simpsons "It is a victimless crime.  Like punching someone in the dark."
  • toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 166
    I would pay to play on a private server.

    Would I play for 10 years on that server? NOPE, but I would have a good 1-2 years of enjoyment, find something else for a couple months and go back to lack of content.... Wait I already do that in WoW

    IRONFIST Gaming community
    www.ironfistgaming.com

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,398
    Herase said:

    I  As someone who actually does write music, I couldn't be mad at someone for sharing the work I once did and also I would feel I don't have the right to complain (morally anyway) as I was the one who abandoned my work and threw it out the window. To hype up later because it's getting popular, just says a lot about a person. I would reevaluate myself as an artist at that point tbh. 
    Well, I write music as well. My degree is in composition. And if someone were to take anything I wrote and use it in a way that I didn't condone I would ask them to stop.

    It could be for anything, maybe they use it for a commercial for a product I don't endorse or they use it in a way that I think is a detriment to the piece in question.

    You might not care how your work is used but I sure as hell care about how my work is used. I spend quite a bit of time crafting it and I would hate to have it end up as the background for a diaper commercial or being used to highlight a politician I disliked or be used by someone to promote their own agenda.

    It's Blizzard's right to do the same thing.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,308
    edited April 2016
    SBFord said:
    Herase said:
    Why? People do realize this was a voluntary project right and no profits were being made of this?

    Even so, are we honestly going to say blizz, a multi million dollar company was upset over a tiny private server?

    Someone said would I care if I was blizz? Fuck no, why would I? The only time It would cross my mind is if I knew I was doing a utter shit job and someone was doing it better than me.

    When people cheer and jump up an down to these kinds of things when it has no effect on them what so ever, it tends to be out of fear or desperation.

    So I feel there is a lot more to this than meets the eye imho

    It is both a legal issue and a matter of principle. These administrators neither own the intellectual property rights to World of Warcraft nor did they expend the effort to create the game, both of which require copious amounts of money to do and something Blizzard did. Legally, they have every right to shut down that server and any other for what amounts to theft.

    Put another way: Let's say you wrote a best-selling novel that made millions and then made revisions that some people did not like. If those upset people took your book, a thing created with your blood, sweat and tears, and made copies to sell to all other disaffected people, would you not be upset? I would. My creation, my right to sell and profit from it.

    While these folks may not "profit" from their activities, I'll bet there's a prominent "donate" button to keep the servers running. While not profit in their pockets, it amounts to the same thing since without the donations, they could not keep things going.

    Lastly, the "offer" to give server information to "anyone who wants to make their own private server speaks to their high and mighty ideals, doesn't it?
    same situation happened with DBG and p99, they endorse it because they cannot or are not willing to support a server like that. by the way there was not a donate button, at least not one that was easily found and i looked.

    you are right though, blizz does have the legal right to do what they did, it's just kind of a dick move if they are not going to offer a server like that anyways.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,308
    edited April 2016

    SBFord said:
    ste2000 said:
    Varking said:
    I dunno guys... maybe Blizzard plans on adding time locked vanilla style servers so this is the start? None of us know what is going on behind the scenes.
    Don't think so.
    They were just pissed that an ancient version of their own game was pulling 1 Million players (even though they told us there was not enough interest).
    Not true. Even from the server's own letter, there were 800,000 REGISTERED accounts, not players. How many times have people ripped other games for promoting registered accounts over verified players? In a word: Tons.

    They claim 800,000 registered accounts, yet only 100,000 active players....a mere 1/8th stick to it. I'd bet lots thought they'd love vanilla, registered, played 15 minutes and said, "LOL nope!" ;)
    at peak they had 10-13k players on and that's a private server with just word of mouth bringing players in, which is unmatched by any other private server i have ever seen and the numbers have only been growing not getting smaller, which is why blizz took action.

    if blizz had official servers like that and markets it a little bit? i would bet they would need 3-4 servers at least. heck how many players play on a wow server? 4k? 6k? i can't remember.

    there is indeed a large portion of people that want to play vanilla and the proof is in the pudding as they say.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Maybe we're seeing the impetus of a Blizzard plan to present a vanilla server. They'll scare the hell out of just enough private servers, which they can reach, to make it unpalatable to spend time building a toon on those. Then, they'll open their own.

    I'd play for a few months on a vanilla server if they do a well as EQ2 did with theirs. Some code probably wouldn't be dialed back, as the way classes have evolved over the years, or alterac valley, or parts of the map that cataclysm changed. It could still be pretty cool, with lower level dungeons pertinent again, plaguelands populated, nerdstalgia over ubrs and lbrs, etc.



  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,275
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    SBFord said:
    Herase said:
    Why? People do realize this was a voluntary project right and no profits were being made of this?

    Even so, are we honestly going to say blizz, a multi million dollar company was upset over a tiny private server?

    Someone said would I care if I was blizz? Fuck no, why would I? The only time It would cross my mind is if I knew I was doing a utter shit job and someone was doing it better than me.

    When people cheer and jump up an down to these kinds of things when it has no effect on them what so ever, it tends to be out of fear or desperation.

    So I feel there is a lot more to this than meets the eye imho

    It is both a legal issue and a matter of principle. These administrators neither own the intellectual property rights to World of Warcraft nor did they expend the effort to create the game, both of which require copious amounts of money to do and something Blizzard did. Legally, they have every right to shut down that server and any other for what amounts to theft.

    Put another way: Let's say you wrote a best-selling novel that made millions and then made revisions that some people did not like. If those upset people took your book, a thing created with your blood, sweat and tears, and made copies to sell to all other disaffected people, would you not be upset? I would. My creation, my right to sell and profit from it.

    While these folks may not "profit" from their activities, I'll bet there's a prominent "donate" button to keep the servers running. While not profit in their pockets, it amounts to the same thing since without the donations, they could not keep things going.

    Lastly, the "offer" to give server information to "anyone who wants to make their own private server speaks to their high and mighty ideals, doesn't it?
    Let's say you invested millions or billions inventing a medical device that improves the quality of millions of lives. Or a popular consumer product that makes your life easier and more enjoyable. Products you actually have to purchase raw materials for and manufacture, where you have to risk money to produce them period. 

    In the U.S. you would have 20 years of protection before others can knock off your product.  Your intellectual property has an expiry date.

    Why should the games industry be treated differently? Why is their intellectual property protected perpetually?

    Your Government is being strongly lobbied to change the laws concerning pharmaceutical patents. The pharmaceutical companies want their intellectual property to be protected perpetually just like the games industry. Their arguments sound just as legitimate as yours.

    It would be a sad sad day for the every day working stiff, if that ever comes to pass.      
    The idea they can take your exact product they cannot.  They would have to take the time to actually MAKE the product not just take the other companies product and slap their label on it.  In this case they are not even changing the label.  Your example is wrong stop using it.
    Oh Really?

    So I can manufacture a boardgame called Monopoly and sell it can I?

    that is where your stupid patent thing comes in.  Monopoly, Blizzards code, the medical equipment they have copyrights to the actual product.  You can make a game based on the idea of Monopoly, Wow used Game Workshop's ideas, and you could make a medical equipment based off the idea....but 20 year thing is not right.  Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.  No one can take your product and just distribute it as their own under the law.
    Sorry your wrong.

    You can't copyright an invention and an invention is an intellectual property just like a game or a book.

    Anyone can knock off my invention after my patent has expired. You just can't use my name or Trademarks. Just like after a pharmaceutical patent expires, a generic knockoff will be able to enter the market and again names and Trademarks will apply other than that it can be a complete copy.

    I am also wrong on in that a copyright is not perpetual. It is in effect for the author's life plus 50-100 years. Copyrights legislation is also under review as we speak, mainly due to software and electronic media

    Things start getting blurry. Software products don't necessarily equate to requiring artistic protections. A copy of SolidWorks or Simply Accounting is closer to a tool or a widget than a "Lord of the Rings"

    I am also debating the industries as a whole and not Blizzard in particular. Characters, Stories etc. etc. absolutely merit artistic protections. 

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2016
    While I don't have an issue, legally, with what Blizzard did, I do feel it's necessary to note an idea that's been floated around the thread already.  An idea that, really, should be the focus of the discussion (instead of the legality or dick level of the move Blizz made):

    In today's F2P landscape, all other things being equal, it makes no sense for players to go through the trouble and risk a private server like this.  There's just way too many F2P MMORPGs (many akin to WoW) to logically assume these players (and the team running the server) "just wanted a free game."  There has to be another reason for the server's existence and its popularity...  Which makes it a shame that Blizzard is so stubbornly taking legal action here without recognizing the group that played there, not because they just wanted to play an MMORPG for free, but because they wanted to play that specific version of the game.

    I never played on Nostalrius, but I did play briefly on another vanilla emulator.  The thing that turned me off was the technical issues with running emulated code (i.e. pathing issues on mobs and such).  If those things were ironed out...  Who knows, I might become involved in an MMORPG community again.  I certainly won't play WoW in its current, official incarnation..  And Blizzard shutting down every private server in existence wouldn't get me to do so.  I'm not a fan of where the game went, but would certainly enjoy revisiting where it's been (albeit with certain modernizations with the UI).

    In the end, it's small potatoes to Blizzard.  I do, however, think this IP discussion is funny, considering how Warcraft borrowed directly from Warhammer so heavily.  People seem to forget or ignore that history when they argue so adamantly that people are criminals for stealing other's ideas.

    image
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,019
    The arugment that this server was stealing money from Blizz is hilarious.  I would be willing to bet less than %1 of the population of these private servers EVER had ANY intention of paying blizz for current WoW.

    As has been said, if they would offer legacy servers they could be making all kinds of money from it.

    Technically, it is IP theft....but why ignore it for years and years until now?  Oh, because someone showed them that they are full of shit and their development principles/changes/"upgrades" to the game are bullshit.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    SBFord said:
    Herase said:
    Why? People do realize this was a voluntary project right and no profits were being made of this?

    Even so, are we honestly going to say blizz, a multi million dollar company was upset over a tiny private server?

    Someone said would I care if I was blizz? Fuck no, why would I? The only time It would cross my mind is if I knew I was doing a utter shit job and someone was doing it better than me.

    When people cheer and jump up an down to these kinds of things when it has no effect on them what so ever, it tends to be out of fear or desperation.

    So I feel there is a lot more to this than meets the eye imho

    It is both a legal issue and a matter of principle. These administrators neither own the intellectual property rights to World of Warcraft nor did they expend the effort to create the game, both of which require copious amounts of money to do and something Blizzard did. Legally, they have every right to shut down that server and any other for what amounts to theft.

    Put another way: Let's say you wrote a best-selling novel that made millions and then made revisions that some people did not like. If those upset people took your book, a thing created with your blood, sweat and tears, and made copies to sell to all other disaffected people, would you not be upset? I would. My creation, my right to sell and profit from it.

    While these folks may not "profit" from their activities, I'll bet there's a prominent "donate" button to keep the servers running. While not profit in their pockets, it amounts to the same thing since without the donations, they could not keep things going.

    Lastly, the "offer" to give server information to "anyone who wants to make their own private server speaks to their high and mighty ideals, doesn't it?
    Let's say you invested millions or billions inventing a medical device that improves the quality of millions of lives. Or a popular consumer product that makes your life easier and more enjoyable. Products you actually have to purchase raw materials for and manufacture, where you have to risk money to produce them period. 

    In the U.S. you would have 20 years of protection before others can knock off your product.  Your intellectual property has an expiry date.

    Why should the games industry be treated differently? Why is their intellectual property protected perpetually?

    Your Government is being strongly lobbied to change the laws concerning pharmaceutical patents. The pharmaceutical companies want their intellectual property to be protected perpetually just like the games industry. Their arguments sound just as legitimate as yours.

    It would be a sad sad day for the every day working stiff, if that ever comes to pass.      
    The idea they can take your exact product they cannot.  They would have to take the time to actually MAKE the product not just take the other companies product and slap their label on it.  In this case they are not even changing the label.  Your example is wrong stop using it.
    Oh Really?

    So I can manufacture a boardgame called Monopoly and sell it can I?
    I think it's safe to say Monopoly has a monopoly on the game Monopoly :).

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson


  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,011
    This is IP theft but there is a good amount of players that want to play in the Vanilla WOW TBC WOW time period.  If Blizzard did offer these servers to me I would come back even if the Subscription was $20 to $30 a month.  Even if it is 1% to 10% of their population that end up coming back I bet you that Blizzard will make a good money stream off these classic servers.  

    The problem is Blizzard is loosen so much money because no one except a group of people who do not like MMOS want to play WOW right now. I want an MMO that pushes me to group and makes Dungeons an affair where I need to schedule it with friends OR socially interact with people.  Cross Realm Automated group files killed social interaction and allowed a lot of garbage into MMOs.  The GO GO GO GO ME ME ME bunch love it while hurting large amounts of players.  Just look at how many players quit WOW.

    Problem is Blizzard is just stupid because they are run by people who think more accessibility equals more subscribers which equals more money.  Yet they have that now and are loosen money.   
Sign In or Register to comment.