Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nostalrius Servers Issued Court Order to Close Shop

2456714

Comments

  • MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Private Vanilla servers is nothing new. Lots of them have been around for many years, and Blizzard has ignored them all this time. They did not ignore this one, because it has been much more successful than the others, attracting loads of players.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    edited April 2016



    Zarriya said:

    This shows how much desire there is to play vanilla WoW.


    Not really. Private servers dont have enough player capacity to maintain a paid service running. Meaning, WoW has millions of paying players whilea private server has like 1k-5k free people? If Official WoW had that many people (even paying) it would shutdown so fast we never see it coming.

    What this(private servers of existing games) does show is that a number of people dont want to pay for games.



    Sorry, but you're completely wrong on this. I could afford to play WoW if I wanted to but recently I've preferred private server communities over official game communities. They are more close-knit and usually feel more like a community to me than the official servers. That and since some companies refuse to have classical servers for their games, private servers are the only options for some of us.

    For a lot of people it has nothing to do with money.
    Most private servers have cash shops, so quite a few do make money off of the IP of the developer. Besides, years of peoples lives went into making World of Warcraft and careers were built on the work they did on Vanilla WOW. Blizzard deserves to be paid for the use of their IP. They were not and therefore it should be shutdown. I wish all private servers would shut down. I think of the labor hours that go into creating a game and to continue to run the game and a group of fans come along and recreate your work only on their servers with their rules with no payment made to the actual creator. I bet many people opposing the shutdown would be pretty upset if it was their work being stolen. It seems to matter more to people the closer to home it hits.
    Yeah, blame the players for doing something that the official company refuses to do. If game companies were smart they would have long ago allowed players to set up private servers of their games while injecting an affordable, monthly publishers fee so they could make money off of their work. They haven't though, so in my opinion the blame rests on the companies for being so pig-headed when it comes to the issue of private servers.

    Smile

  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    People have been asking Blizzard for legacy WoW servers for years.  Most of these people are fully willing to play Blizzard to have one server set aside for Vanilla WoW and Blizzard has repeatedly turned their money down.

    One server, no need for updates, no need for patches, just the vanilla game 24/7.  It seriously couldn't be that hard.

    I completely agree that people should pay for a product that is being offered rather than steal it.  Problem in this case is that the product is no longer being offered and all requests for it are met with hostility.

    For instance, most people don't realize that you cannot, at all, buy the original Star Wars trilogy, as shown in movie theaters, in stores.  Lucas the Hutt decided that the 'Han Shot Second' version was how he was going to reinterpret the story and that's all that you can currently buy.  Therefore, I bought all of the movies in the store, and then I torrented the fuck out of the originals.  My money went in, but if you aren't going to offer what I want, then I'm gonna find it somewhere.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,202



    Zarriya said:

    This shows how much desire there is to play vanilla WoW.


    Not really. Private servers dont have enough player capacity to maintain a paid service running. Meaning, WoW has millions of paying players whilea private server has like 1k-5k free people? If Official WoW had that many people (even paying) it would shutdown so fast we never see it coming.

    What this(private servers of existing games) does show is that a number of people dont want to pay for games.



    Sorry, but you're completely wrong on this. I could afford to play WoW if I wanted to but recently I've preferred private server communities over official game communities. They are more close-knit and usually feel more like a community to me than the official servers. That and since some companies refuse to have classical servers for their games, private servers are the only options for some of us.

    For a lot of people it has nothing to do with money.
    Most private servers have cash shops, so quite a few do make money off of the IP of the developer. Besides, years of peoples lives went into making World of Warcraft and careers were built on the work they did on Vanilla WOW. Blizzard deserves to be paid for the use of their IP. They were not and therefore it should be shutdown. I wish all private servers would shut down. I think of the labor hours that go into creating a game and to continue to run the game and a group of fans come along and recreate your work only on their servers with their rules with no payment made to the actual creator. I bet many people opposing the shutdown would be pretty upset if it was their work being stolen. It seems to matter more to people the closer to home it hits.
    Yeah, blame the players for doing something that the official company refuses to do. If game companies were smart they would have long ago allowed players to set up private servers of their games while injecting an affordable, monthly publishers fee so they could make money off of their work. They haven't though, so in my opinion the blame rests on the companies for being so pig-headed when it comes to the issue of private servers.

    Pirates always blame society, government, and business for the fact that they have to steal from others instead of accepting that if something is not offered theft is not a valid option.  Instead make your own game and play that.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,202
    H0urg1ass said:
    People have been asking Blizzard for legacy WoW servers for years.  Most of these people are fully willing to play Blizzard to have one server set aside for Vanilla WoW and Blizzard has repeatedly turned their money down.

    One server, no need for updates, no need for patches, just the vanilla game 24/7.  It seriously couldn't be that hard.

    I completely agree that people should pay for a product that is being offered rather than steal it.  Problem in this case is that the product is no longer being offered and all requests for it are met with hostility.

    For instance, most people don't realize that you cannot, at all, buy the original Star Wars trilogy, as shown in movie theaters, in stores.  Lucas the Hutt decided that the 'Han Shot Second' version was how he was going to reinterpret the story and that's all that you can currently buy.  Therefore, I bought all of the movies in the store, and then I torrented the fuck out of the originals.  My money went in, but if you aren't going to offer what I want, then I'm gonna find it somewhere.

    and if you are caught then you will be punished and should be. 
  • VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    For those saying it would be easy for Blizzard to set the server up and just not update it you want all the exploits and bugs from that patch and the balancing to remain exactly the same?
  • ShuruppakShuruppak Member UncommonPosts: 15
    So... remember next time you want to play Mario 64 don't use a emulator for your smartphone, bring a Nintendo 64 with you and a TV.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,235



    Yeah, blame the players for doing something that the official company refuses to do. If game companies were smart they would have long ago allowed players to set up private servers of their games while injecting an affordable, monthly publishers fee so they could make money off of their work. They haven't though, so in my opinion the blame rests on the companies for being so pig-headed when it comes to the issue of private servers.


    It's not up to the players what Blizzard does with THEIR product. The only legal choice a consumer has is either to purchase the product or not. I suppose if Ford stopped making red cars you'd be OK with people stealing them and then painting them red?

    Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

    Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2016
    Ginaz said:



    Yeah, blame the players for doing something that the official company refuses to do. If game companies were smart they would have long ago allowed players to set up private servers of their games while injecting an affordable, monthly publishers fee so they could make money off of their work. They haven't though, so in my opinion the blame rests on the companies for being so pig-headed when it comes to the issue of private servers.
    It's not up to the players what Blizzard does with THEIR product. The only legal choice a consumer has is either to purchase the product or not. I suppose if Ford stopped making red cars you'd be OK with people stealing them and then painting them red?   
    Actually...  They could just buy any car whatsoever and paint it red.

    That's the thing about MMORPGs...  You don't own them.  Ever.  You're simply paying for the right to play until the developer and/or publisher decides to tell you that you can't anymore.  You're renting the game.  And if they decide to change that game into something you don't want to play anymore?  Too bad.  You have to update it and play it or stop using the product you paid for.

    Which is why you'll get folks who support private throwback servers who wouldn't dream of pirating, say, The Witcher 3.  With the MMORPG, you have no control over the changes or access to the product.  With The Witcher, you can choose to not download updates and, so long as you have it installed (assuming there aren't any silly DRM issues) and/or the disc/files to install it..  You can play it until you die, even if CD Projekt Red goes out of business tomorrow.  What's more, most of these other types of games can be modded directly by editing files or downloading files from others...  All to tailor the game to your tastes.  MMORPGs?  No dice.

    image
  • ShuruppakShuruppak Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I still have my car that I brought to Blizzard right next to me, only problem is that Blizzard took the keys from me, so I just make a copy of the key to keep using the car, and fuck Blizzard.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,211
    Sorry kids, this isn't Robin Hood. You just dont steal no matter how 'good' the intentions are.
  • VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    I was actually going to try Nostralrius this weekend and I've never played on a private server.  The hype was strong and everyone who played on it said they were having a blast.  With the Burning Crusade server coming out by Nostralrius, Blizzard knew they were going to lose eyeballs.  The idea is too good.  One server for each expansion, then you can transfer your character when YOU are ready.

    Instant subs. 
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,235
    Shuruppak said:
    I still have my car that I brought to Blizzard right next to me, only problem is that Blizzard took the keys from me, so I just make a copy of the key to keep using the car, and fuck Blizzard.
    Nice try, matey.  Yarrr!!!

    Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

    Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,279
    Well let me play devil's advocate here

    I have a couple points. First one is copyright vs a patent. If I invest fuckwads of cash and invent something I only have a limited time to cash in. 20 years in the U.S. which was recently changed from 17 which I disagree with, it should have stayed at 17.

    What makes the games industry so special that there intellectual property is perpetually protected while my intellectual property is not. Sorry but I think that is fucking bullshit.

    My second point is and I bring this up because of a couple rulings in the EU for which France resides. Millions of people purchased and paid for copies of WoW and also payed for the subs for years and years. Blizzard ceased providing them with the product that they legally purchased. Through Blizzard or a licensed third party, consumers who payed for a product should be able to use that product.

    There are many things in the Entertainment Industry that totally stink. They should be held just as accountable as the rest of us businesses that provide products to our customers.

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

    Scorchien said:


    naami said:


    Horusra said:

    Hope they get sued and anyone touching the code gets sued. 


    Why do you wish ill on someone for something as innocuous as a private server of the 10 yr old version of the game. Unreal.


    there stealing , and they are stealing money right out of the pockets of Activision/Blizz shareholders which i happen to be one .. and Blizz has to answer for that ...



    Do you really need to be told why this is bullshit?

    Blizzard isn't offering a vanilla server, Nostalrius was. Alot of the people I played with on it were already unsubbed from WoW before the server was even a glimmer in our eyes.

    No one was stealing money, no one stole code, the emulators are exactly that, emulations. Does Blizz have a right to the IP and the art? Yes most definitely, but no one was stealing money from anyone because no one else was offering the service.
  • VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    I dunno guys... maybe Blizzard plans on adding time locked vanilla style servers so this is the start? None of us know what is going on behind the scenes.
  • Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

    Varking said:

    I dunno guys... maybe Blizzard plans on adding time locked vanilla style servers so this is the start? None of us know what is going on behind the scenes.



    I don't see blizzard purposely splitting up their subscriber base like that. The people who want to play current WoW will lose ALOT of people to play with, the bitching and unsubs will commence with a fury. Every time locked server would have a small community who would probably start bitching for "improvements" to fit their rose colored vision of their favorite xpac.
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,236

    Varking said:

    I dunno guys... maybe Blizzard plans on adding time locked vanilla style servers so this is the start? None of us know what is going on behind the scenes.



    I don't see blizzard purposely splitting up their subscriber base like that. The people who want to play current WoW will lose ALOT of people to play with, the bitching and unsubs will commence with a fury. Every time locked server would have a small community who would probably start bitching for "improvements" to fit their rose colored vision of their favorite xpac.
    Not sure about that. EQ2 does just fine doing it. In fact I had guildies come back to play EQ2 just because of the TLE

    거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다












  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited April 2016
    If Blizzard open a Vanilla Server. Thats even more money going to other project it just don't help the game over all. Then have to maintain 2 types of games with content update to keep it making it's own money with out leeching it from there main game even more. Yes people will go back and check it out, but with out content update people just will get bored and move on in how little or more people that would play it.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,308
    edited April 2016
     Scorchien said:
    They are stealing .. potential customer and falsley representing a product ... let me guess if it was your business and product you would be ok with that ?
    nope. falsely representing a product is not stealing when no money is being made, that is why so many private servers are allowed to function without a lawsuit.

     i'm also willing to bet most would not play on a wow live server because they want to play vanilla, a completely different version of the game.

    IMO blizzard needs to take a page out of DBG's book and allow this like they allow p99 if blizz is not going to have these type of servers.




  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,308
    If Blizzard open a Vanilla Server. Thats even more money going to other project it just don't help the game over all. Then have to maintain 2 types of games with content update to keep it making it's own money with out leeching it from there main game even more. Yes people will go back and check it out, but with out content update people just will get bored and move on in how little or more people that would play it.
    the nos devs offered to do it for them for free, it's been a year and nos only got more and more popular, which is what lead to them getting shut down.

    if blizz can't do it or refuses to they should let nos operate as long as they are not making any money off of it, which they weren't.

    this isn't uncharted waters, again p99 is a private server that is recognized by DBG and allowed to function because of the same reasons you mentioned in your post.


  • skadadskadad Member UncommonPosts: 392
    baphamet said:
     Scorchien said:
    They are stealing .. potential customer and falsley representing a product ... let me guess if it was your business and product you would be ok with that ?
    nope. falsely representing a product is not stealing when no money is being made, that is why so many private servers are allowed to function without a lawsuit.

     i'm also willing to bet most would not play on a wow live server because they want to play vanilla, a completely different version of the game.

    IMO blizzard needs to take a page out of DBG's book and allow this like they allow p99 if blizz is not going to have these type of servers.




    and DBG even run 3 time locked progression servers for eq1 at the same time, and 1 on eq2.
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211

    Khayotix said:







    Zarriya said:


    This shows how much desire there is to play vanilla WoW.




    Not really. Private servers dont have enough player capacity to maintain a paid service running. Meaning, WoW has millions of paying players whilea private server has like 1k-5k free people? If Official WoW had that many people (even paying) it would shutdown so fast we never see it coming.

    What this(private servers of existing games) does show is that a number of people dont want to pay for games.






    actually, the people playing on the server would gladly pay blizzard to play on a vanilla server. Blizzard not making vanilla servers to capitalize on these people, sends them looking elsewhere. Easy fix. Give servers. Profit. Profit may not be that much, but hell it will save them the legal fees of all the Cease and desist orders they have to put out to shut these servers down.



  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Stop living in the past of 10 years ago and move on. Unless you get with the programme, Blizzard can't take your sub, sell you an expac and do very few content updates so they can get richer to invest in mobile gaming. ;)
  • KarvarenKarvaren Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Hi folks. 
    I played on Nost and Blizzard took away my hobby: Vanilla WoW. I understand that it's Blizzard's job to be "asshats" and hunt people having fun - but I don't condone it and I hate them for it.

    In our guild there are a lot of mature people with kids and families that just love playing this type of classic gaming. We are not playing on Nost because it's free, but because it's the best Vanilla server - Nost also do not take donations or have a cash shop. I re-found my love from 10 years ago, with almost perfect precision.

    Needless to say, I don't play any other Blizzard/Activision products and as it looks, it is very unlikely that I will in the future.

    Maybe there is some other MMO in the making that can help me out, since I have now lost my hobby.

    Sincerely,
    Northborn - Nost PvE.


Sign In or Register to comment.