Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nostalrius Servers Issued Court Order to Close Shop

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Horusra said:
    Shrilly said:
    Zarriya said:
    Horusra said:
    Zarriya said:
     I personally would pay extra for a legacy server and would play it and the live version for a long time (played wow since vanilla). Look how long Project 1999 has existed there are people there that have played years. A lot of people play WoW in waves   (every time there is an expansion they come for a short while)  Vanilla WoW took a long time to play and accomplish goals - that there would probably give more longevity to the game than any recent expansion.

As stated to others would you pay $180 for a year sub upfront?
    Yes I would also pay more :P
    When did this come up? why would they make you pay $180 just to dust offf some old servers and tweak them a bit? To let them know theres a demand? There are better ways.

the problem is EQ's legacy servers that people played for 2 months and left.  then the few that stay want the holiday events.  How long till people just leave cause the content is not moving forward.  How long can people play the same things over and over?  The supposed thousands that would play, I would bet many do not want just Vanilla.  They want a return to Vanilla mechanics going forward.  That is not going to happen.  Why open that can of worms?
    There are other factors at play here, though. DoF and KoS were never, really, popular expacs. EoF was more popular and, knowing this, there might likely be a resurgence in TLE population soon. It probably won't last a really long time, few months, but it is what it is, too, a nostalgia experience.

I'm sure I'm going to stick with my earlier opinion, I would pay to play on a WoW vanilla server for a few months and I think many other people would, too. Not... years... but for a time I think I'd really have fun in it.

edit: I was focused on EQ2 TLE. EQ1 TLE might be another matter.
    Your last comments is why it will never happen.  They are not looking to wait their time making something for people just to play a few months.  And no that does not mean people have the right to pirate it and have private servers.  People need to realize they are old enough that their "wants" do not override the law and other people's rights to their property.  Instead people should kickstart a game that copies Vanilla WoW's mechanics in a new game.
  • ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    edited April 2016
    Horusra said:
    Shrilly said:
    Horusra said:
    danwest58 said:

Torval said:
    kitarad said:
    Well Everquest servers that used their vanilla version were packed initially and then they dwindle over time. If this type of servers were able to make a lot of money for Blizzard they would do it. They are in a better position from their own studies of the market and yet they do not offer it. Perhaps they do have an insight on how these populations do not last  after the first few months. 

I think companies are better suited to know their market then players who only see things from their perspective.
    I also agree with your idea that a lot of players would not pay to play vanilla. They play on these servers because it's free. They may not even prefer vanilla, but they play there because they can get a decent enough experience without having to fork over cash.

The lack of overwhelming success for the EQ TLP and EQ2 TLE servers should be noted. There wasn't a mass conversion from p99 over to EQ TLP. A lot of TLP and TLE players were already All Access members with characters on Live. So all that accomplished was fracturing the community and increasing resource load.
    I have to disagree with you here, Torval.  There are far too many good F2P or B2P MMORPGs to think these people go through the trouble and risk of a private server just to play for free.

And DBG's bonehead move wasn't that they embraced the classic idea, but that they didn't just co-opt P99 as an official server.  Maybe they just didn't reach an acceptable agreement with the P99 team, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that folks who had invested time in P99 weren't gonna drop everything to come to an official classic server without some kind of additional incentive.  It wouldn't make any sense on the player's part.
    God another post like this?  You people think these people are playing on free private WOW servers to play for free?  NO THEY ARE NOT!   They want the Vanilla WOW periods Period.  They are not playing for free.  If they were playing for free why wouldnt they get all the gold they can handle in the current version and buy the tokens to play for free?  Answer?  They want vanilla that is the only reason.  

Again this is your opinion.  Stop talking like it is fact.
    His reasoning does make more sense tho. There are private servers with different expansions etc. they chose a classic one that was garnering a following. There is a demand for classic WoW if you couldnt tell that years ago your just not paying attention.

The question is not the demand.  The question is their dedication to actually paying for it longer than a 6 months here and there a year.  When you show me one that is P2P and has a following I then it would be more than opinion, but he has not fact that people would pay for "years" like some here have said they would.
    If they could slow down the game harder to get to end game maybe, harder/different loot tables(stay a noob for longer), throw in some special stuff for events every now and again maybe. Done right I can see one being successful for long term playability. Making deviations etc. would be very interesting to me.
    Shrilly said:
    Horusra said:
    Shrilly said:
    Horusra said:
    danwest58 said:

Torval said:
    kitarad said:
    Well Everquest servers that used their vanilla version were packed initially and then they dwindle over time. If this type of servers were able to make a lot of money for Blizzard they would do it. They are in a better position from their own studies of the market and yet they do not offer it. Perhaps they do have an insight on how these populations do not last  after the first few months. 

I think companies are better suited to know their market then players who only see things from their perspective.
    I also agree with your idea that a lot of players would not pay to play vanilla. They play on these servers because it's free. They may not even prefer vanilla, but they play there because they can get a decent enough experience without having to fork over cash.

The lack of overwhelming success for the EQ TLP and EQ2 TLE servers should be noted. There wasn't a mass conversion from p99 over to EQ TLP. A lot of TLP and TLE players were already All Access members with characters on Live. So all that accomplished was fracturing the community and increasing resource load.
    I have to disagree with you here, Torval.  There are far too many good F2P or B2P MMORPGs to think these people go through the trouble and risk of a private server just to play for free.

And DBG's bonehead move wasn't that they embraced the classic idea, but that they didn't just co-opt P99 as an official server.  Maybe they just didn't reach an acceptable agreement with the P99 team, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that folks who had invested time in P99 weren't gonna drop everything to come to an official classic server without some kind of additional incentive.  It wouldn't make any sense on the player's part.
    God another post like this?  You people think these people are playing on free private WOW servers to play for free?  NO THEY ARE NOT!   They want the Vanilla WOW periods Period.  They are not playing for free.  If they were playing for free why wouldnt they get all the gold they can handle in the current version and buy the tokens to play for free?  Answer?  They want vanilla that is the only reason.  

His reasoning does make more sense tho. There are private servers with different expansions etc. they chose a classic one that was garnering a following. There is a demand for classic WoW if you couldnt tell that years ago your just not paying attention.

The question is not the demand.  The question is their dedication to actually paying for it longer than a 6 months here and there a year.  When you show me one that is P2P and has a following I then it would be more than opinion, but he has not fact that people would pay for "years" like some here have said they would.
    If they could slow down the game harder to get to end game maybe, harder loot tables(stay a noob for longer), throw in some special stuff for events every now and again maybe. Done right I can see one being successful for long term playability. Making deviations etc. would be very interesting to me.

Now you are dividing the development team and basically making two games.  Profits would have to warrant it.
  • ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    And I am sure they would, but again thats what we are all debating I guess.
    edited April 2016
    Shrilly said:
    And I am sure they would, but again thats what we are all debating I guess.
    so we are back to Blizzard will do what they believe is right.  Right or wrong in ouropinion, it does not make pirate servers ok.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Shrilly said:
    Horusra said:
    danwest58 said:

Torval said:
    kitarad said:

He does not think so.  Yet there have been people at Blizzcon that still play on Live Blizzard servers that have ask "CAN WE GET CLASSIC SERVERS"  Yet Horusra likes to drink the Kool Aid that Corporate America was to feed him.  

Horusra said:
    Shrilly said:
    Zarriya said:
    Horusra said:
    Zarriya said:
     I personally would pay extra for a legacy server and would play it and the live version for a long time (played wow since vanilla). Look how long Project 1999 has existed there are people there that have played years. A lot of people play WoW in waves   (every time there is an expansion they come for a short while)  Vanilla WoW took a long time to play and accomplish goals - that there would probably give more longevity to the game than any recent expansion.

When did this come up? why would they make you pay $180 just to dust offf some old servers and tweak them a bit? To let them know theres a demand? There are better ways.

the problem is EQ's legacy servers that people played for 2 months and left.  then the few that stay want the holiday events.  How long till people just leave cause the content is not moving forward.  How long can people play the same things over and over?  The supposed thousands that would play, I would bet many do not want just Vanilla.  They want a return to Vanilla mechanics going forward.  That is not going to happen.  Why open that can of worms?
    Blah Blah Blah.  You have your Opinion which is being over run by so many people that want Vanilla WOW back.  I would love to plan to make a Warrior tank and Holy Priest in Vanilla WOW today.  I would love to do all the instances on different classes over the course of a few years.  How can I do it?  Because During Vanilla WOW I didnt run Deadmines 15 times in 1 week.  I would do it maybe 2 to 3 times that week and 5 to 10 times in 4 months because of I would schedule my time with friends VS a LFD tool that threw me in the instance for the 15th time in 1 week.  

Zarriya said:
    Horusra said:
    Shrilly said:
    Zarriya said:
    Horusra said:
    Zarriya said:

The problem (at least for me) with EQ/EQ2 legacy servers are that they do not reflect what EQ was back at launch. I played on a TLP server, but quit because  I did not really get the feeling that I was playing classic EQ. Project 1999 does accomplish that. Nostralius was a server that was very close to classic wow. I would like to play on a server that is classic WoW then maybe Burning Crusade server- that's all it would take to keep me logged in daily for at least two years, which is more than I could speak to most current games and their expansions.
    I cannot agree more.  Both Vanilla and TBC servers could keep me logging in for 10 to 15 hours a week for 2 years easily.  WHY?  Because it takes time to do the content it is not handed to you like today's MMOs and I do not need to rush to end game.  
    danwest58 said:
    Shrilly said:
    Horusra said:
    danwest58 said:

Torval said:
    kitarad said:

He does not think so.  Yet there have been people at Blizzcon that still play on Live Blizzard servers that have ask "CAN WE GET CLASSIC SERVERS"  Yet Horusra likes to drink the Kool Aid that Corporate America was to feed him.  

No I have faith in the non-committal generations that want and want, but will jump ship for the next new shiny.
    danwest58 said:

Horusra said:
    Shrilly said:
    Zarriya said:
    Horusra said:
    Zarriya said:

Blah Blah Blah.  You have your Opinion which is being over run by so many people that want Vanilla WOW back.  I would love to plan to make a Warrior tank and Holy Priest in Vanilla WOW today.  I would love to do all the instances on different classes over the course of a few years.  How can I do it?  Because During Vanilla WOW I didnt run Deadmines 15 times in 1 week.  I would do it maybe 2 to 3 times that week and 5 to 10 times in 4 months because of I would schedule my time with friends VS a LFD tool that threw me in the instance for the 15th time in 1 week.  

yippie for you.  I do not agree.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    danwest58 said:

Again, your opinion and I would argue that there is a vocal minority that is "running over" the discussion about the issue.

But all of this hyperbolic talk is only so much noise. The only real issue is whether or not Blizzard wants to or ever will create vanilla WoW servers. The corporate response to legacy servers is the same one that has been given for more than a decade: "No."

Do a search for "Wall of No - WoW" in Google and look at what they have repeatedly said.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Horusra said:
    Shrilly said:
    Horusra said:
    Shrilly said:
    Horusra said:
    danwest58 said:

Torval said:
    kitarad said:

Now you are dividing the development team and basically making two games.  Profits would have to warrant it.
    Have you ever heard of Ultima Online?  They have a server called siege perilous?  siege perilous is exactly what UO use to be before T2A.  Guess what they game with a small population still with a smaller classic server has enough resources to keep that server running without a problem.  WOW has made fist fulls of money off over 10 Million + Subscribers during that time we want back.  They will make money there is no doubt.  The problem is it will not live up to their  40%+ margins they want.  They will likely make 20% margins which is still a profit.  The ONLY development they need is fixing any game breaking, class breaking or content breaking bugs.  If a Rabbit does not hop right no one will care but if a mages fireball hits Hogger for 0 damage all the time that needs to be fixed.  

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    edited April 2016
    WoW is just a bad MMO in general. It had luck beause Blizz already had sucha  huge fanbase with Diablo and Starcraft/Warcraft.
    Nost wasnt that great either, just popular and the chinese influx made the game worse.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    This doesn't come as a surprise. Private servers are illegal, and the people running them know it. Blizzard has every right to send these people C&D letters. 
    SBFord said:
    danwest58 said:

Again, your opinion and I would argue that there is a vocal minority that is "running over" the discussion about the issue.

But all of this hyperbolic talk is only so much noise. The only real issue is whether or not Blizzard wants to or ever will create vanilla WoW servers. The corporate response to legacy servers is the same one that has been given for more than a decade: "No."

Do a search for "Wall of No - WoW" in Google and look at what they have repeatedly said.
    I know exactly what they said.  I seen it countless times at blizzcon.  I also read it on the Official Blizzard forums so many times.  You think there is a vocal minority that wants this but when I tell you that I have many friends most of which never post on any gaming forum would jump at the chance to play on a live classic server; you need to understand that even these people want this.  The problem is Blizzard is being run by stockholders and do not understand that they will make some money off this.  

@danwest58 Spot on! Its very much about corporate Kool aid.

To me, raking in Billions, BILLIONS!!!, every years for more than a decade and giving very little back is just disrespectful any way you want to look at it.

You want to be respected? Start by giving the exemple and do what is right for the greater good and stop treating your costumers like retards( even if they are ).

You know, moral, ethic and all that. Who cares right... Pray the all mighty dollar! /bow to Mammon

Don't come in here and talk about laws please, they bend and go around them every chance they get. It's a do as I say but don't look at what I'm doing system that only serve to keep people in line for exploitation by the money grubbers.

/end rant 

Love people talking about ethics and morals defending illegal activities....rich...
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited April 2016

You want to be respected? Start by giving the exemple and do what is right for the greater good and stop treating your costumers like retards( even if they are ).

You know, moral, ethic and all that. Who cares right... Pray the all mighty dollar! /bow to Mammon

Don't come in here and talk about laws please, they bend and go around them every chance they get.

They are a corporation, not a convent. Businesses run for one reason: To make money. There's a reason that companies routinely shut down games when they become unprofitable. Corporations are not "moral, ethic[al] and all that". Generation of revenue to pay employees and their stockholders is first; customer (dis)satisfaction comes in a distant second. This is not unique to Blizzard or to business overall.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    exile01 said:
    WoW is just a bad MMO in general. It had luck beause Blizz already had sucha  huge fanbase with Diablo and Starcraft/Warcraft.
    Nost wasnt that great either, just popular and the chinese influx made the game worse.
    Except you completely ignore that it gained subs up until the release of Cataclysm, which was 6 years into the life of WoW. Only then did they start to bleed out subs. People do not flock to a game for six years because it's bad. It fulfilled exactly what many people were looking for at the time. Still continues to fulfill what many want, and has been far and away the most successful western mmo of all time.

Little perspective goes a long way.
    Horusra said:
    danwest58 said:
    Shrilly said:
    Horusra said:
    danwest58 said:

Torval said:

No I have faith in the non-committal generations that want and want, but will jump ship for the next new shiny.
    I agree with the problem of today's generation.  The servers will not be for those people.  For example my wife and I who met during Vanilla WOW would play on either a Vanilla WOW server or TBC server.  We would in all likelihood play for around 2 years.  I been playing FFXIV even if I took a 2 month break from Jan to March this year since Dec 2014.  I have committed to FFXIV and know what it's like to play an MMO for a long time so does my wife.  

Vanilla WOW would not be for our Daughter who might play a game for a whole 30 minutes before moving to the next thing.  

What I am saying is if you look at a private Vanilla WOW Server that has 15K people online at any given point, there is a good amount of them that would come over.  Add that too people like myself that would come back.  If you ended up with 30K to 50K players that would pay for a year upfront at $180, you would make 5.4 Million (with 30K people paying).  Yes that is small compared to All of WOW but still that is a good amount to manage 2 to 4 servers in a virtual environment and the management of the environment.

Now if people stay on the servers after 1 years and revenue increased I could make an argument that some more resources could be added to that environment.  But if I had only 1 year and I paid for a year up front as an experiment I am good with that.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    danwest58 said:
    SBFord said:
    danwest58 said:

I know exactly what they said.  I seen it countless times at blizzcon.  I also read it on the Official Blizzard forums so many times.  You think there is a vocal minority that wants this but when I tell you that I have many friends most of which never post on any gaming forum would jump at the chance to play on a live classic server; you need to understand that even these people want this.  The problem is Blizzard is being run by stockholders and do not understand that they will make some money off this.  

So your argument seems to be, "My friends and I want to play Vanilla. Also some people on the internet said they wanted to. It would be a good move for Blizzard to open Vanilla servers."

Alrighty then. 
    SBFord said:

Don't come in here and talk about laws please, they bend and go around them every chance they get.

They are a corporation, not a convent. Businesses run for one reason: To make money. There's a reason that companies routinely shut down games when they become unprofitable. Corporations are not "moral, ethic[al] and all that". Generation of revenue to pay employees and their stockholders is first; customer (dis)satisfaction comes in a distant second. This is not unique to Blizzard or to business overall.
    @SBFord ;

Yes Businesses are made to make money.  The Problem is that today's Blizzard is not the same as 2004 Blizzard which was a privately held business which was do make money doing what they love best.  Making games that other people love to play.  Who is Blizzard today?  A Publicly held company made only to make Stockholders money at the expense of everything else including the customer.  

So yes you are correct they are a business to make money, you are also wrong why they are making money.  This is why Kickstarters are around because Publicly held Publishers don't give a rats ass about customers just stockholders.  

Horusra said:

@danwest58 Spot on! Its very much about corporate Kool aid.

To me, raking in Billions, BILLIONS!!!, every years for more than a decade and giving very little back is just disrespectful any way you want to look at it.

Don't come in here and talk about laws please, they bend and go around them every chance they get. It's a do as I say but don't look at what I'm doing system that only serve to keep people in line for exploitation by the money grubbers.

/end rant 

Love people talking about ethics and morals defending illegal activities....rich...
    I am not defending the illegal activities.  Thats why I dont play on Private servers.  However I am saying that there is money out there that CAN be made and it is not hard to run Emulated hardware which is what will be needed to run the old code.  
    danwest58 said:
    SBFord said:
    danwest58 said:

So your argument seems to be, "My friends and I want to play Vanilla. Also some people on the internet said they wanted to. It would be a good move for Blizzard to open Vanilla servers."

Alrighty then. 
    Yes there is a group of people that will be willing to pay to play for a Vanilla Server.  Well I more or less want a TBC server.  BUT if Today Blizzard announced that they will offer Vanilla and TBC (PVE) servers for a full year's sub at $300 for the year.  My wife and I would gladly pay.  Oddly enough on top of FFXIV subs my wife has a WOW sub active.

So no we dont mind paying.  I know there are others out there and if I was going to play there I have to make 1 post on Facebook and I would have 20+ people saying ok what server am I going to be on.  
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    edited April 2016
    what i want to know is how come we didn't see this huge uproar when daybreak games endorsed p99, an illegal private EQ server? no we heard praise because it was the right thing for them to do because they do not offer that service anymore.

now when blizzard does the opposite all we get is apologists defending them. sure they have every legal right to do what they did, but it's kind of a dick move when they refuse to offer a similar service.

also to the people buying that nobody wants classic servers. you do realize the most populated EQ and EQ2 servers are their TLP servers, right? servers that require a sub to play on i might add.

there might not be as many people that want to play on them that want to play on the live standard servers but there are quite a few people that still do, multiple servers worth.

no it's not just a temporary thing either, nos was out for a year and was only gaining steam, that is a fact and that is why blizz took action.

the bottom line is if people didn't really want to play vanilla blizz wouldn't be trying to sue nos right now. if anything this should have been a wake up call for blizz.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    edited April 2016

danwest58 said:
    SBFord said:
    danwest58 said:

Alrighty then. 
    lets rehash here. nostalrius, a wow vanilla server only marketed by word of mouth had 10's of thousands of unique logins per day.

at peak they would have 10-13k online between their pvp and pve server and their player base was only getting bigger. yet nobody really wants a vanilla server?

imagine if blizzard launched official vanilla servers and marketed it just a little bit? the only question would remain is how many servers would they actually need? 4? 6? more than that?

just because some blizz dev tells you what you do or don't want to play doesnt make it so. that's actually pretty insulting and makes me not want to play their games.

it's obvious a lot of the blizz apologists have never been on nos to see just how many people were playing on those servers. it was significant enough that blizz felt they had to take action, yet that's not what their players want according to them?

this isn't trolling, this is a real issue.