Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you buy another Zenimax game after the ESO catastophe?

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    flizzer said:
    ESO is an amazing game. Game feels like Skyrim online for me.  Great job. 

Yeah, it doesn't really feel like Skyrim Online to me. It feels about 250% better. The engine and game play are smoother. It looks better than a vanilla Skyrim. The controls are better. The crafting, except maybe provisioner, is an order better.

TL;DR: Amazing game, better than Skyrim.
    Wow, I absolutely can't even agree, not even a little bit.

I have over 1,200 hours in skyrim and still playing and modding it.

I can't even get myself to log into Elder Scrolls Online. When I do I do so for max 30 minutes and then go back to morrowind/skyrim.
    Different things appeal I guess. I don't like screwing with mods in most games. It's just a pain in the ass. I've seen some very pretty mods and I think they do a great job, but I don't really want to play their game. It's how I feel about most game mods. There are some exceptions, but very rarely.

The vanilla game is boring to me even with the DLC. The world is open but the narrative is very narrow, linear, restrictive, and guided. In a CRPG I'm more interested in an open narrative, and although I like an open world, it takes a back seat to the narrative. Shadow of Morder is a great example of exploring open narrative design. To me ESO actually has a less restrictive narrative than Skyrim does.

I have the opposite experience. I have Skyrim sitting on my machine. Whenever I log into it I think why aren't I playing my real characters in ESO. It seems like a waste of time by comparison.
    Yeah, I'm with you on this one. Not that I didn't like Skyrim, I did.. a lot, but I haven't fired it up in months.

ESO is a better ES game for me too.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013
    edited April 2016
    Torval said:

The vanilla game is boring to me even with the DLC. The world is open but the narrative is very narrow, linear, restrictive, and guided. In a CRPG I'm more interested in an open narrative, and although I like an open world, it takes a back seat to the narrative. Shadow of Morder is a great example of exploring open narrative design. To me ESO actually has a less restrictive narrative than Skyrim does.

I
    It is? My roommate plays and barely does any of the main quest and certainly none of the guild quests. Once I finish the main quest and maybe one guild quest I don't touch quests. I don't really see how it is "linear". I don't really think it requires mods. but I guess that's me. Most of my mods just add new Dungeons.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited April 2016
    Going with yes, but for the most part I don't like ESO and I consider it a game with a somewhat poor legacy due to faults the team introduced very early on to the engine and subsequent gameplay.

For me the issue was that the game was not built the way it should have for what they were intending of it, which has led to them stumbling plenty of times as they look for solutions and workarounds to improving the game. The combat has little hiccups for example as a result of it being driven by tab-target and them culling some of the most immediate mechanics to deliver an experience that acts like soft lock. They have refined it and worked on their network to minimize it, but it's a vestige in the engine that short of replacing outright they are not going to be rid of all the little errors.

It's not that alone, as there were a multitude of design mistakes and backtracks with the game that has led to such errors and issues being riddled about.

However, they also didn't abandon the game just because they made mistakes. Zenimax decided to do whatever they could with it and continue to progress the game and add new features where they can, work on the code where they can, and improve what they could. While I don't like how they originally handled the game, I do feel they have resolved to do better and they have shown that they are, regardless of if I like or dislike the title.

So if they turn around and announce another game I will look at that game based upon it's own merits and the effort/quality they have chosen to put into it's design. They have shown they can learn from their mistakes, so might as well see if that progress carries over to new games.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited April 2016
    No. While I won't call it a failure, I didn't feel it lived up to it's promise.

Coupled with the fact they declined my refund request (while granting them to others selectively) I asked to be removed from all future offers or communication.

Definitely on the do not buy list. (it's a long list)  :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I don't play it, but call it catastrophe????

How many companies can still sell their game at the same price tag they did at release 2 years later?????
    The last few months the game has been 65 to 68% off, all you have to do is go look. Heck I have seen the imperial edition with 75% off. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Personally Skyrim was a letdown for me. Oblivion I liked but I had to mod it to enjoy it. (level scaling)
    To me, the Elder Scroll games have gotten worse the more they make them.
    ESO on the other hand I enjoy. It is a different feel for an MMO. Yet somehow still feels like an Elder Scrolls game. Is is amazing? Not to me. Yet it is fun and I have it on my PC and Xbox One and play it more on my console. It scratches that MMO itch when I want to be away from my desk and my regular MMOs. I play my priest like a Paladin. Heavy Armor big Mace of Death and the game allows for me to spec my character like that. The little things the game does right lets me enjoy the game.
    So will I buy another Elder Scrolls game? Not sure, leaning towards no but it depends on what changes they make over Skyrim.
    Yeah I agree. The ES franchise needs a "back to the roots" revival.

I've been playing them since Arena first released. Back in those early days in addition to mainstreaming first person action combat in an RPG, something that was very rare back then, they were second to none about giving NPCs a semblance of individual lives making the game feel more alive than those of the competitors at the time.

But they've been simplifying and resting on their laurels a bit too much and others (Witcher comes to mind) have been beating them at their own game for a while now.

They need to bring back the complexity, give their NPCs an AI makeover and for Pete's sake, update the graphics engine so it looks great out of the box, un-modded once again.

And oh yeah... the spell crafting. Why the hell did they ever get rid of that? It was one of the best and most unique features of the game. Because it could be abused? As if modders don't make invincibility mods the moment the game releases lol.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Personally Skyrim was a letdown for me. Oblivion I liked but I had to mod it to enjoy it. (level scaling)
    To me, the Elder Scroll games have gotten worse the more they make them.
    ESO on the other hand I enjoy. It is a different feel for an MMO. Yet somehow still feels like an Elder Scrolls game. Is is amazing? Not to me. Yet it is fun and I have it on my PC and Xbox One and play it more on my console. It scratches that MMO itch when I want to be away from my desk and my regular MMOs. I play my priest like a Paladin. Heavy Armor big Mace of Death and the game allows for me to spec my character like that. The little things the game does right lets me enjoy the game.
    So will I buy another Elder Scrolls game? Not sure, leaning towards no but it depends on what changes they make over Skyrim.
    interestingly my experience is almost the exact opposite. Oblivion is my least favorite of the three ES games I have played and nothing about ESO looks appealing to me.
    to each his own i guess

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I stopped playing because of game play breaking bugs, and feeling the cost of subscription didn't match the product provided.

With that said, I don't see how ESO can be considered a "catastrophe". I would buy another Zenimax product if I feel like they've learned from mistakes (which they probably won't).
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    My vote would be undecided.  It would depend on the type of game they made.  I like ESO but some of the things they've done with are strange.  Still the graphics and adventuring just make up for the small inventory, and many attempts to get people to use the cash shop.  Don't really like games that have a good crafting system with little inventory space.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I created my signature for threads such as this.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Brenics said:
    I don't play it, but call it catastrophe????

How many companies can still sell their game at the same price tag they did at release 2 years later?????
    The last few months the game has been 65 to 68% off, all you have to do is go look. Heck I have seen the imperial edition with 75% off. 
    "Have seen" is different than a price drop. A price drop tends to happen when sales dry up at the normal asking price. IF they continue to sell at $59.99..etc.. they'll keep that price. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    flizzer said:

Yeah, it doesn't really feel like Skyrim Online to me. It feels about 250% better. The engine and game play are smoother. It looks better than a vanilla Skyrim. The controls are better. The crafting, except maybe provisioner, is an order better.

I can't even get myself to log into Elder Scrolls Online. When I do I do so for max 30 minutes and then go back to morrowind/skyrim.
    I understand what you are saying but honestly if you look at the combat.... Oh im playing skyrim look i can swing my sword,  look i can swing my sword, swing the sword, swing swing swing...   ESO has all the combat that skyrim had and then added the dynamics of actually dodging and using different abilities.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    It is? My roommate plays and barely does any of the main quest and certainly none of the guild quests. Once I finish the main quest and maybe one guild quest I don't touch quests. I don't really see how it is "linear". I don't really think it requires mods. but I guess that's me. Most of my mods just add new Dungeons.
    For a single player game the narrative is very restrictive. If you kill off the wrong key npc the entire narrative is destroyed. Sometimes this makes sense and sometimes it doesn't, but it always happens that way regardless (or irregardless hahaha j/k) of whether the narrative should continue or not. I never really saw that door opened until I played Shadow of Mordor. SoM is very crude in its open narrative, the way the first open world games were, but it does show how a narrative can be bigger than the characters and their scripts.

In fairness ESO gets around this by having much simpler piecemeal narratives. It's really hard to break them because they're short, optional, and mostly not interconnected. I could see that as a valid criticism of their narrative, short and simplistic, compared to Skyrim. But the end result is the same for me, it's just more fun in ESO.

I do like Skyrim. I don't want to put that message out that I think it's a bad game, but after playing ESO it's just not as fun and it only serves to make me want to log into ESO. Huge parts of that aren't just about the gameplay mechanics either. I love that I can play ESO "solo" alongside others in an RPG world. It brings the world to life for me. MMORPGs don't have to do RPG better than sRPGs for me. They do it good enough in a world with others and that matters a lot to me and the experience I'm looking for.
    to be fair I think (based on my limited personal experience and people I know) that people who really like Skyrim as one of their favorite games, typically arent the kind of gamer who looks for narrative or even knows what the Narrative is in Skyrim

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    flizzer said:

yeah but you are modding it.  You would have to compare it to unmodded Skyrim.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Horusra said:
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    flizzer said:

technically you can mod ESO as well ;) 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013
    edited April 2016
    Horusra said:
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    flizzer said:

They are just 4 dungeon mods. It's not like its a total conversion. Might be 10 or 15 hours tops. Edit: oh I meant making a mod for it. Over a year's worth of work so far.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    ESO wasn't a "catastrophe". It was a mediocre game, granted, but far away from "punish the company by embargoing their products". Bit harsh...
  • BartrumBartrum Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Don't think I'll buy another Zenimax game if they link it to Steam as they did with Skyrim.  Otherwise ... probably would.

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Look  ESO its not bad game with more Lore-Pve oriented game with small effort in  pvp 
    I remember buy expect cool massive pvp and guess? problem not game itself but people dont like pvp in this days (but people like rewards)  based this point its not game fault , maybe one day i return start read all lore (i never be big fan , and skip any quest / dialog / cutscene)
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
     Fool me once.
  • donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    New Poll idea: Do you still hit your wife?
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    donjn said:
    New Poll idea: Do you still hit your wife?
    Trick question

Answering yes or no would be an admission of guilt ;) 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Bartrum said:
    Don't think I'll buy another Zenimax game if they link it to Steam as they did with Skyrim.  Otherwise ... probably would.
    Skyrim is a Bethesda game, as is Fallout, Zenimax only really have 1 game to their name, and that is ESO. As for Steam, why wouldn't they (Bethesda) use it, its stood them in good stead in the past so its unlikely to change in the future, steam workshop after all is a massive part of the modding community, and its very easy to use, its possible that Skyrim wouldn't have been as successful a game without this.
This discussion has been closed.