Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What trade will you be in-game?

Comments

• FalendorFalendor Member UncommonPosts: 81
    I really want to run an Inn, seems like a good family profession.
    Couple family members run the Inn itself, others travel the area as merchants bringing back the best foods and songs for the Inn.
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    jozeph said:
    Still do not understand why people are trying to compare WoW and CoE.  90% of WoW's content is single/solo player focused.
    I agree. I doubt that someone who enjoys WoW, will enjoy CoE.
    <snip>
    I don't see why not.
  • VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Vucar said:
    When I played SWG so very long ago, I had a guild mate that would often pay a number of us to hunt these very specific creatures in a region on one planet, and she paid large amounts of money for one of their skins (crafter of some kind).

I didn't know what they were for at all. All i knew was she paid me personally for getting these materials. Sometimes she wouldn't need them after all, or she'd have too many. I had to find other ways to make money those days.

That, to me, is how i envision quests in CoE. Someone needs something done, for their own purposes, and they're willing to pay -- probably. Hopefully most of the time they'll pay you. If they don't, the relationship breaks down and its time to move on.

That's not only more organic questing, but its less coding.
    People bypassing the fluctuating nature of auction houses is organic questing?
    On the contrary. The changing events in the world and the changing market determined whether or not I had a job that would pay, much like real life.
    Vucar said:
    Vucar said:
    When I played SWG so very long ago, I had a guild mate that would often pay a number of us to hunt these very specific creatures in a region on one planet, and she paid large amounts of money for one of their skins (crafter of some kind).

I didn't know what they were for at all. All i knew was she paid me personally for getting these materials. Sometimes she wouldn't need them after all, or she'd have too many. I had to find other ways to make money those days.

That, to me, is how i envision quests in CoE. Someone needs something done, for their own purposes, and they're willing to pay -- probably. Hopefully most of the time they'll pay you. If they don't, the relationship breaks down and its time to move on.

On the contrary. The changing events in the world and the changing market determined whether or not I had a job that would pay, much like real life.
    Um...sure.  The literal definition of quest is a search or pursuit made in order to find or obtain something.  So when Crafter Pat asks you to hand her the hammer in the toolbox, you have been given a quest.

I guess every Supplier hell everything in CoE actually is always on multiple quests.

• MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    jozeph said:
    Still do not understand why people are trying to compare WoW and CoE.  90% of WoW's content is single/solo player focused.
    <snip>
    I don't see why not.
    *hold you hats everyone*

I agree with Timberhick... I feel that there are WOW players waiting for this. In fact a co-worker who enjoys wow since launch (to this day) is interested in COE when I've explained it to him and some of the possibilities that might eventuate his response. 

"I may just finally give up wow for this game if they pull even half of those features off"
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Maygus said:
    jozeph said:
    <snip>
    I don't see why not.
    *hold you hats everyone*

I agree with Timberhick... I feel that there are WOW players waiting for this. In fact a co-worker who enjoys wow since launch (to this day) is interested in COE when I've explained it to him and some of the possibilities that might eventuate his response. 

"I may just finally give up wow for this game if they pull even half of those features off"
    Wait, you're not allowed to agree with Timber...wait no you are allowed. :)

I can most certainly see some people from WoW coming over to play.  Not sure how much of a lasting appeal it will have for them, but it might be interesting for a while.  I'm not normally into FPS games but i enjoy games like fallout 3 or even Half life/portal if it's done well.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    edited April 2016
    Vucar said:
    Vucar said:

Um...sure.  The literal definition of quest is a search or pursuit made in order to find or obtain something.  So when Crafter Pat asks you to hand her the hammer in the toolbox, you have been given a quest.

I guess every Supplier hell everything in CoE actually is always on multiple quests.

Correct.

Emergent game play is the best kind of questing. The kind that doesn't require in-game scripting and comes about as a natural consequence of players wanting to effect a change in the world, either on just their own personal level or a larger scale. Its "wanting" to do something in the game. 

The first question every other mmo vet asks when they come to a new mmo is "so whats the endgame like?" which is a translation for "so what do we do when the game runs out of things to tell me to do?". This ends up being things like repeatable raids, battlegrounds, dailies, or something else that is usually pretty hollow. 

In CoE, the end game and the start game are one in the same. Its all about what you personally care about seeing happen, and fulfilling objectives to actualize that goal. 
    Maygus said:
    I don't see why not.
    *hold you hats everyone*

No, your not agreeing with me.

I don't need to give up wow for this game.

I can play WoW and CoE at the same time.

Crazy ain't it?
    As humans we got this ability(contrary to what some around here think) to like different experiences at the same time.

Vucar said:
    Correct.

Emergent game play is the best kind of questing. The kind that doesn't require in-game scripting and comes about as a natural consequence of players wanting to effect a change in the world, either on just their own personal level or a larger scale. Its "wanting" to do something in the game. 

The first question every other mmo vet asks when they come to a new mmo is "so whats the endgame like?" which is a translation for "so what do we do when the game runs out of things to tell me to do?". This ends up being things like repeatable raids, battlegrounds, dailies, or something else that is usually pretty hollow. 

In CoE, the end game and the start game are one in the same. Its all about what you personally care about seeing happen, and fulfilling objectives to actualize that goal. 
    Too much presumption going on here.

First
    Every character made will have 2 different "quest lines" to follow. 
    1. Each character has their own personal story "quest" created by the game just for that character.
    2. Each character can partake in the 'server story' "quest".
    CoE hasn't detailed how much in-game scripting this is going to entail.

Second
    Affect and effect or micro vs macro is a huge undertaking in games.  There is a reason 'theme parks' are popular.  The whole butterfly flaps it's wings is truth.

Third
    No the first question every MMO player asks isn't "so what's the endgame like"

Finally
    You don't think there wont be 'dailies' in this game?  Or battlegrounds? Or repeatable raids?  That is some mighty big delusions.  Sure maybe not apples to apples like WoW, but it sure will be lemons to limes.
  • lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
    jozeph said:
    Maygus said:
    jozeph said:
    NPCs?
    You cannot be a NPC.
    No you can't. Well, you could do those things as an OPC i guess.

Players don't wan't to be yardhands, candlemakers, fence builders, thatchers or farmers. They want to be warriors, explorers, blacksmiths (to make the best weapon), architect (to build impressive houses),...
    I think you could be surprised. Personally, I'd quite like a change from the constant hacking and slashing (and casting of implausible spells). Farming sounds quite good to me, as long as there's some purpose to it - other than just wasting time...
    lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Zultra said:

So who wants to be a Yardhand, candlemaker, fence builder, thatcher, farmer?

In CoE you can do all those things and in Zygethia we NEED all those roles filled.

I will probably focus on becoming a Boyer. The Best Bows in the Lands shall be known to have been my Handiwork. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    edited April 2016
    jozeph said:
    <snip>
    I don't see why not.
    Because in WoW, you are hand held. I sure hope those people don't come to CoE and start causing/crying for nerfs like they did in WoW, ruining it.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Cock merchant.

Dwarf's cock has magical powers.
    edited April 2016
    Avanah said:
    jozeph said:
    <snip>
    I don't see why not.
    Because in WoW, you are hand held. I sure hope those people don't come to CoE and start causing/crying for nerfs like they did in WoW, ruining it.
    <rolls eyes while walking away>

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Xarko said:
    Cock merchant.

Dwarf's cock has magical powers.
    So you want to raise roosters? Well if they have them (or some form of them) be my guess. ;)

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Smut Peddler.
    -Chuckles
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Avanah said:
    Zultra said:

So who wants to be a Yardhand, candlemaker, fence builder, thatcher, farmer?

In CoE you can do all those things and in Zygethia we NEED all those roles filled.

I will probably focus on becoming a Boyer. The Best Bows in the Lands shall be known to have been my Handiwork. :)
    Awesome, you will ned fletchers to make your arrows though!
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
    Caspian answered a query on the official forum about vitality recovery, etc. and mentioned that bards in a tavern would improve recovery, etc. That, of course, created a germ of an idea in my mind about being an entertainer ingame. I've been wanting a non-combat role in an MMO for ages...just so bored with being sent out to kill rats, then super-rats, then mega-rats.
    Or, if I do get bored loafing around town, a travelling bard sounds like a viable option. Plenty of time to reconsider though...

http://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/General-Discussion/4653-Taverns-as-a-social-space

lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I don't see me paying money to play a yard hand or fence builder in a fantasy game. These are much worse jobs than the one I have in real life. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    I don't see me paying money to play a yard hand or fence builder in a fantasy game. These are much worse jobs than the one I have in real life. 
    It is nice to have the choice though.
  • RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Didn't I read that you can buy bodies to transfer to? And that Necromancer would be a tradeskill? That's me then. I enjoy making new friends (from parts of old ones).
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Avanah said:
    I will probably focus on becoming a Boyer. ...
    Given your forum avatar, I'm wondering if that was a Freudian slip... :D 
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    edited April 2016
    Didn't I read that you can buy bodies to transfer to? And that Necromancer would be a tradeskill? That's me then. I enjoy making new friends (from parts of old ones).
    No?

Necromancer is not a trade-skill... it is a possibility that has been discussed in IRC and people take it further on forums but Soulbound have never said anything about it being a trade-skill.

At best it'll be linked with a talent, as it's a magical ability so you'd have to be doing something impressive in-game for the soulborn engine to award the talent to you.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Wizardry said:

Another example is if we have guns or bows,i 100% want to see bullets and arrows and we should be crafting them.
    ER, you ever shoot a gun in the real world? You don't "see" the bullets, only the hole it makes in the target.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited April 2016
    After long thought on it I decided I want to be the old codger that slowly walks around the town/village with his hand sign crying DOOM DOOM DOOM!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.