Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I finished my 7-day trial……(Edit) Bought the game

13»

Comments

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Read the forums and the link to poll that was provided. Such lovely people aren't they? if i had any curiosity to try this game is gone now. I distanced myself from PVP gankfest many years ago and this community just re affirms why i did that.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Bigdaddyx said:
    Read the forums and the link to poll that was provided. Such lovely people aren't they? if i had any curiosity to try this game is gone now. I distanced myself from PVP gankfest many years ago and this community just re affirms why i did that.
    The aholes were the first to jump on this game and they use to have Daum's ear.  With their recent aholery and the obvious success of the pve player side of things there's going to be an adjustment.  I'd wait and see how it shakes out.  Check back in a few months.  The children tears will flow and some will leave for another game.  BDO may be FFA pvp now, but it's going to change.  Because money talks.  It always does.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,653
    edited April 2016
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:
    laserit said:

IMHO generally people from older generations have an easier time using our imaginations. For the simple fact that in our childhood we had to. Everything was pretty much a Sandbox when I was a kid, You always had to make your own fun.

This might not apply if you can't remember what it was like to be a kid. 
    hmmm,

There might be somethin gto be said to that. I mean, we used sticks and found bits as toys when we didn't quite have what we wanted.

I remember having this space ship model that glowed in the dark. On the top it had bay doors that held a tiny little "cool looking" shuttle.

I remember a whole afternoon just using the shuttle and my back yard.
    Cowboys and Indians, Cops and Robbers, Sword fights, Treehouses etc.etc. etc.

Kids aren't even allowed to do that shit anymore.

It's Politically Incorrect :(
    Riding my bike for mile after mile, my parents never knew how far I ranged from home, a dozen miles or more and I was like 9 or 10.

They never asked where I was, we were tossed out of the house in the morning to "go play" and as long as we were in before dark not too many questions were asked.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    For how "unique" BDO is it still suffers from the same old problems we've seen the past decade.

Lackluster endgame, PvE/PvP/Sandbox/Themepark identity crisis, really poor attempts at class balance, etc.
  • forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:
    laserit said:

IMHO generally people from older generations have an easier time using our imaginations. For the simple fact that in our childhood we had to. Everything was pretty much a Sandbox when I was a kid, You always had to make your own fun.

hmmm,

There might be somethin gto be said to that. I mean, we used sticks and found bits as toys when we didn't quite have what we wanted.

I remember having this space ship model that glowed in the dark. On the top it had bay doors that held a tiny little "cool looking" shuttle.

Riding my bike for mile after mile, my parents never knew how far I ranged from home, a dozen miles or more and I was like 9 or 10.

They never asked where I was, we were tossed out of the house in the morning to "go play" and as long as we were in before dark not too many questions were asked.
    Do any of that now and child "protective" services will be all up the parents ass.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:
    laserit said:

hmmm,

My bike was a Mustang with a Banana sea,t a stick shift between the nuts and a baseball card cloths pinned on the frame sputtering in the spokes. Even made mine into a chopper ;) 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    edited April 2016
    really poor attempts at class balance, etc.
    Screw class balance.  How many games in the old days of MMOs had class balance?  None.  WoW started that concept in MMORPGs with their Arenas.  Class balance belongs in MOBAs, not MMOs.  The best you can hope for is one class not to be so overpowered that everyone rerolls to play that class.  Example:  Bright Wizard from Warhammer Online.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited April 2016
    Screw class balance.  How many games in the old days of MMOs had class balance?  None.  WoW started that concept in MMORPGs with their Arenas.  Class balance belongs in MOBAs, not MMOs.  The best you can hope for is one class not to be so overpowered that everyone rerolls to play that class.  Example:  Bright Wizard from Warhammer Online.
    Class balance doesn't belong in MMOs?

What???

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    For me , the best times i have had in any game are those with out balance , UO, AO,AC, WAr..etc,...

What???
    I agree with him. Not every kind of game is about class vs class competition. This balance thing basically started with Battlegrounds and duels. People getting butthurt because they would get beaten in a duel, which is not what many of these games were about.

Balance is most definitely important in a game designed around competitive PvP 

laserit said:

What???
    I agree with him. Not every kind of game is about class vs class competition. This balance thing basically started with Battlegrounds and duels. People getting butthurt because they would get beaten in a duel, which is not what many of these games were about.

So if someone comes in to your grind spot and kills and forces you to leave and you can't do anything about it because their class beats you every time, that's a good thing and better than if it was balanced and you had at least a fighting shot?

• BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
    edited April 2016
    Ok...........? CC (channel change) is so hard that nobody knows how to do it nowadays. And yes, you surely have no buddy in game to help you when that happens, because, you know, nowadays people play MMOs as single players then complain there's no community.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I can play semi mediocre games and have done in the past but imo BDO just does NOTHING good,at least not good enough where i get home from work,shower,walk the dogs,eat supper then think "i just have to play BDO because......and there is no reason that pops into my head as to why i would want to play it".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    i agree some with the OP ..BDO does everything not good.. not bad... but MEH...theres other games that are out there that i can have fun all day long playing and BDO does not..im also not a fan of combos and action type combat in mmorpg..call me old fashioned but i dont care for it..imo archeage's combo system was better..in BDO its  like playing mortal combat with the insane combos thats clunky to pull off and even more frustrating by the time you do your either dead or 1/2 dead before the fight is over...they also tell you nothing about the games interface and how it can be arranged ,reason why i say this is because its not  like other mmorpgs when you just  click a few things and its what you needed or wanted..in this game theres alot that you can tweak n fix and most you cant even turn off...i also had to go to youtube to find some answers about the game and imo if you have to go to a second or even 3rd party to find out how the game runs or explain a story,it cant be a good thing..im not asking for a manual but there are some really annoying features in this game...its not for me and glad i only payed 30$ for it..iv spent far more on much worse
    laserit said:

What???

So if someone comes in to your grind spot and kills and forces you to leave and you can't do anything about it because their class beats you every time, that's a good thing and better than if it was balanced and you had at least a fighting shot?

Dealt with it in a few games including WoW. Not like it happens all the time. A certain class might have a 1 vs 1 pvp advantage but they would have a disadvantage in something else.

Dealt with it in a few games including WoW. Not like it happens all the time. A certain class might have a 1 vs 1 pvp advantage but they would have a disadvantage in something else.
    Well, having an advantage in one thing and a disadvantage in another is a kind of balance.

But you're still not explaining why class balance is a bad thing and you don't want it in your MMOs.
    edited April 2016
    Well, having an advantage in one thing and a disadvantage in another is a kind of balance.

But you're still not explaining why class balance is a bad thing and you don't want it in your MMOs.
    I'm looking for the right term.

Balance kind of makes things generic and nobody saying it's bad. If it's too much off kilter it's definitely bad.

I love playing warriors and a wizard should be able to kick my ass, unless I can catch him off guard. I should be able to one shot him with my melee weapon.

My type of game is a Virtual World, a dangerous one. One where I have to use my wits as well as my brawn.

I think about these things as I did in my youth.

You might play because you like to compete against other people in a competitive environment.

I play because I want to be immersed in a virtual world. Things don't always have to be fair.

Post edited by laserit on

I get what you're saying but this:

"I love playing warriors and a wizard should be able to kick my ass, unless I can catch him off guard. I should be able to one shot him with my melee weapon."

is still class balance.  It's pretty much the definition of it.  Classes play different roles and have their own strengths and weaknesses, but can use their strengths to beat any of the other classes given the right conditions.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,249

"I love playing warriors and a wizard should be able to kick my ass, unless I can catch him off guard. I should be able to one shot him with my melee weapon."

is still class balance.  It's pretty much the definition of it.  Classes play different roles and have their own strengths and weaknesses, but can use their strengths to beat any of the other classes given the right conditions.
    It's kind of rock-paper-scissors
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Your thinking too literal, everything has balance. Everything would end up failing without it.

This is just as true for the real world. Just ask Mother Nature ;)

• Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Kyleran said:
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:
    laserit said:

hmmm,

This. I used google maps to find out just how far I used to venture from home and no-one knew. When I was 4! I fell off a wall and broke my arm and that was 4 streets from home. Now I have kids 7 and 5 and wouldn't dream of letting them out on their own. Maybe the world is a riskier place but it does seem different. But in my youth (I'm 43 now) we used to get out and make our own fun. Having a Spectrum game called Elite as a 13yr old was just awesome, as was reading Crash magazine.

Today just send full of people mosning about the 1000x more choices they have and spending $30 on an amazing game isn't enough for them.