Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I finished my 7-day trial……(Edit) Bought the game

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,249
edited April 2016 in Black Desert Online

Edit: I ended up buying the game after a few days. Honestly for now it's fun and I've blown more on games I play less on steam. Mostly I like the life skills and have been leveling slowly since I've mostly been focused on fishing and farming and a bit of crafting. Also been doing a few fetch missions in and around Heidel where I have shops ect. IDK it's not a bad game if you like the micro-management stuff. I started out with like one basic carrot and one sunflower, now I have like 4 fields or TC products. 

There really isn't any other game like it currently; and it reminds me a lot of the fun I had in SWG. I hope Daum knows they may have a gold mine in this game; I see bright future if they can get the minor issues sorted out within the year. We shall see. If anything I will play till I see something else that's better...but for now I'm not seeing any.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: (read it, comment or don’t I don’t care. It’s just my current opinion and may change in the future. You don’t have to agree)

I am not entirely sold on this game. It really is a love-hate thing for me.

It was interesting and fun at times; but to be honest something about it seems rushed and unfinished. Perhaps it’s the fact that many of the features from the Korean version are not yet implemented.  Quests are there, but barely, and they really do not attempt to sell you on the lore of the game to get you really hooked in the beginning. What story is there feels really detached. I had to watch a video on youtube to understand a lot of the lore.

I’m also kind of worried about the lack of game support. Is anyone at the helm over there at Daum Games? It’s like they must be running a skeleton crew. Ticket responses are slow, and do not ask in chat as it’s like playing Russian Rolette with the answer you get. You might get nothing, or you might get shot in the fucking face for asking xD. I watched it happen many times in chat and felt bad for the people asking, but I couldn’t help them  being new myself and not knowing the answer,  so I just decided to turn chat off so I wouldn’t be a witness to whatever was going on there xD. It’s the internet so trolls are expected, just seems pretty bad in this game at the moment.

The game has multiple personalities: Is it a PvP centric game? Is it a sandbox PvE game? Is it a PvPvE game? It doesn’t do any of it super well so I can see the confusion.

Honestly it’s not the best PvP game I have ever played. Stuff is really still unbalanced and not fun and I imagine if and when they fix it people who were playing OP ranged classes will have hurt feelings over nerfs ect and leave; oh and Warrior sucks to play in PvP. Tanky? Uh not really.

BDO really does not do PvE super well for me either. It feels all over the top at times…and I never really feel like it was a close fight with anything I take on. Satisfyingly close battles? I think not. Nothing in the game world feels threatening, hence why they attempt to fall back on the PK crutch, which is a terrible idea in a Western MMO btw. Sometimes it felt like I was playing wack-o-mole with a weed eater; which can be fun for a while, till you realize 2 hours later nothing has been a challenge. It’s like saying mowing lawns is fun… it’s always the same. At least we know Warrior is a great pve tank.

I would say it does micro-management sim decently. Sad part is most people who love those kinds of games would never touch PvP with a 10 foot pole and are leaving this game fast; hence all the bickering on the forums.

It kinda reminded me of swg, yet not. One thing I loved about SWG was the diversity…some of my best friends were crafters and it made the game feel like a close knit community, something I guess people do not want here, missed opportunity on that one.

PvE players say, “I just want to craft and fish and be left alone”. PvP-Pks  say “wtf n00b, this isn’t the game for that. GTFO and go play Hello Kitty Online ---leave”.

What does Daum do? Nothing really. Why so timid Daum?  It’s like they invited a bunch of frat boys along with the book club geeks all to the same party then ran to hide in their room so they didn’t have it witness the chaos that would ensue.

Knock knock…hey Daum..you do know the frat boys have shit all over you house and have all the book club geeks tied up and are now beer bonging them with urine right?

It’s almost like they have no experience running an MMO or community sites otherwise they would squash that bickering shit fast. 

Not sure why people feel so strongly about at least putting pve players on a separate server so they can have their peace and so they don’t have to listen to them complain about being killed, but I guess running them all off and having less people playing is a better option for them?  Sure it gives you a laugh for a sec wtflolrollin some poor squishy girl named Becky tending to her wheat field; but that player might just never come back to the game over something as simple as that. You as a PvP-PKr will move on to the next game once the novelty of this game wears off. Daum doesn’t seem too keen on that one.

“Line our pockets with money; we’ll sort it out later”

They would be stupid not to cater to a larger player base but whatever; it’s just another Korean grinder imho.

Anyways I liked the game based on what I played of it despite what I stated as shortcomings (it has potential), but I’m a little worried it might get boring fast since there isn’t enough to keep me vested in it more than a month. I don’t see that being worth the money for me at this time.  I also can’t help but feel this is just another FOTM game everyone is playing till something else comes along; but hey I would be wrong. In the end I won’t be me making the buy on this game….. right now, but I will keep an eye on it and may consider buying it in the future.  

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Post edited by Tiller on

Comments

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    edited April 2016
     I had the same feeling you did, I started with a Wizard got him to 52, and it just wasn't my thing. I went and tried every class up to level 15 which doesn't take very long once you do it a few times.  I actually settled on Tamer oddly enough, it's a great class for farming, not so great in solo pvp though it's great for siege, and large scale pvp. It was the first class that when I tried I ended up easily grinding past my usual stop point just because I liked it. Also, the Tamer and Ninja both use shortsword, so I can level it now and switch it over to Ninja, which is what I really want to play.

That said Warrior is actually very good in 1v1 pvp, it's tough to master but it's very formidable. It relies on it's reactionary block move and it's CC, it's able to keep a target locked down quite well as long as it's done quickly. When the awakening weapons come out Warrior will get a Greatsword, once they get that they are much better in pvp, and for farming.  Although in it's current form it might seem lackluster, if you wait till the awakenings start coming out you might like it. 

Edit: Also, I found a guild that really is PVX, and it has no problem coming out to protect members who get camped. We are a big guild and have other branches of allies in different guilds, so we have casuals and hardcore pvpers to camp the campers. Makes it fun for everyone. 

People keep complaining about games that are "really just solo games", well as much as people want to try and get level 20 in this game and quit and say it's solo, it isn't. This game is for guilds and groups. All the people that try and tell you this is a "solo" game, played how they perceived it. 
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,249
    Realizer said:
     I had the same feeling you did, I started with a Wizard got him to 52, and it just wasn't my thing. I went and tried every class up to level 15 which doesn't take very long once you do it a few times.  I actually settled on Tamer oddly enough, it's a great class for farming, not so great in solo pvp though it's great for siege, and large scale pvp. It was the first class that when I tried I ended up easily grinding past my usual stop point just because I liked it. Also, the Tamer and Ninja both use shortsword, so I can level it now and switch it over to Ninja, which is what I really want to play.

That said Warrior is actually very good in 1v1 pvp, it's tough to master but it's very formidable. It relies on it's reactionary block move and it's CC, it's able to keep a target locked down quite well as long as it's done quickly. When the awakening weapons come out Warrior will get a Greatsword, once they get that they are much better in pvp, and for farming.  Although in it's current form it might seem lackluster, if you wait till the awakenings start coming out you might like it. 
    Yeah I'm gonna watch it. I mostly play ranged classes in MMOs but I really wanted try something different this time.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    edited April 2016
    Tiller said:
    Realizer said:

Yeah I'm gonna watch it. I mostly play ranged classes in MMOs but I really wanted try something different this time.
     I'm normally a ranged player myself, that's why I was surprised I liked the Tamer. I'd say if you haven't tried Sorceress and you don't mind being gender locked, it's a really fun class also that get's some really great looking ranged abilities at higher levels. It gets a gravity ball that it holds onto which makes your class hover into the air, till you throw it at the ground. It's half ranged, half melee might be worth a try. It's awakening weapon is a Scythe.
  • UrncallerUrncaller Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Realizer said:
    Tiller said:
    Realizer said:

I'm normally a ranged player myself, that's why I was surprised I liked the Tamer. I'd say if you haven't tried Sorceress and you don't mind being gender locked, it's a really fun class also that get's some really great looking ranged abilities at higher levels. It gets a gravity ball that it holds onto which makes your class hover into the air, till you throw it at the ground. It's half ranged, half melee might be worth a try. It's awakening weapon is a Scythe.
    I agree though I am playing Tamer due to I enjoy pet based classes(not interested in Ninja) but same with me I usually play ranged casters(and still do in BDO) but Tamer has  turned out t o be my main I just love her.
  • yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240
    As I understand it, the original game (i.e. the KR, JP and RU servers) has the PK start at level 50 instead of the level 46 in the EU/NA servers. On top of that, the original servers had an optional quest at level 50 which you needed to complete to enter PK. That quest has been removed from the EU/NA servers.

It's clear those are deliberate decisions by Daum to make BDO a gank fest. I think it's due to the fact that during CBT1 and the early days, as the game for some reason was known as a PVP game, the very noisy PVP crowd drowned out everyone else and Daum adapted the game to the noises they heard. Fast forward to the release and the PVE crowd has arrived and suddenly ganking is an issue.

The game is patching as I post this, maybe some changes will appear. Who knows? But I do also agree that Daum are fekking useless as a company. Terrible support, no communication, just an awful cash grab.

My meme so far? ..... Brilliant game. Lousy company.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    As I understand it, the original game (i.e. the KR, JP and RU servers) has the PK start at level 50 instead of the level 46 in the EU/NA servers. On top of that, the original servers had an optional quest at level 50 which you needed to complete to enter PK. That quest has been removed from the EU/NA servers.
    And it was indeed the most stupid decision ever.
    Except for taking out the p2w items on the cash shop and ability to sell cash shop items for gold (which was an amazing move imo), nearly every other change they made for the Western release seems bad.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

I agree Jean-Luc, but to be fair their decision was guided, albeit wrongly, by the overwhelming pro PvP-centric demographic that participated in BDO's betas.  And the reason the beta participants where so overwhelmingly pro PvP-centric was because the PvE demographic bought into the belief that BDO was a largely OWPvP PvP-centric game and had given up on it.  I mean, that is all you heard all over the place. And who knows, reading some of Kano's posts (and there where many lol) about BDO's changes by Daum changing it from being hard core PvP to carebear PvE during beta, maybe that was indeed the case.   But it sure didn't turn out to be that way once it was released here in NA/EU.

Once BDO was released, PvE players began playing it, and lo' and behold the game is no different than any other PvE game released to date in that it is overwhelmingly a PvE game with PvP tacked on at the end, after having played the first 45 levels doing nothing but PvE related activities.  Anyone claiming that BDO is a PvP-centric game is simply doing it in an attempt to lay claim to something that is clearly not theirs.  Everything that is done in BDO is arrived at by engaging in PvE.  Players can not PvP in BDO unless they have first engaged in a large amount of PvE.  And once having arrived at a place where they can finally PvP, they are still required to engage in huge amounts of PvE to stay on top of their game.

Longer story made shorter, that's the reason why Daum made that "stupid" decision.  The PvP crowd was very vociferous on the boards at the time and they were actually screaming for PvP to be enabled at a much lower level.  Some were screaming for the PvP enabled level to be at level 30, but the extremists, and there where quite a few of them, wanted it to begin at level one!  Now I'm no Daum apologist, but when we look at the history of why they made this decision, a good argument could be made that perhaps Daum did the PvE crowd a favor because it could have been much worse as there wasn't much representation from the PvE demographic, at all, during BDO's beta testing.  It was overwhelmingly PvP players and Daum was taking a daily lashing from that vociferously toxic gaming demographic on a daily basis over this decision.

That said, here we are today, and there is currently a massive push on the BDO forums for Daum to take greater notice of the needs of the PvE community.  Daum would be wise to take heed lest they lose that large PvE player base, and with it, the much greater profit potential.  One need only do elementary research to discover the poor fate of all the game's in the market that have ignored the PvE community.  Let's hope Daum has more sense. 
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    The game is trying to be all things to people.  It is a blast to play as a explorer crafter trader etc.  It is bringing in two opposite sides of the mmo community though.  The hardcore ultra competitive pvp rush to grind and gear crowd and the laid back crafters.  It is no mystery that the two sides are gonna clash.  

Ultimately they need to put that pvp quest back in.  Why would pvpers enjoy fighting people that dont want to pvp?
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I am currently enjoying myself, and I suppose that's all that matters for now.  I agree that it's got a bit of an identity crisis going on and there's serious balance issues to work on but again I'm enjoying it so far.
    Personally, I think the game should stay as it is (Imo, a PvP game after a certain point, hence the identity crisis thing) but add a little group content outside of boss scrolls.  There's a lot of potential for that kind of thing to be great with the combat, and it would be a fun an engaging PvE activity instead of the masses of ezmode overworld mobs.
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    It's great ideas (ideas western MMOs need to pay attention to) that were/are poorly implemented.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Mardukk said:
    The game is trying to be all things to people.  It is a blast to play as a explorer crafter trader etc.  It is bringing in two opposite sides of the mmo community though.  The hardcore ultra competitive pvp rush to grind and gear crowd and the laid back crafters.  It is no mystery that the two sides are gonna clash.  

Ultimately they need to put that pvp quest back in.  Why would pvpers enjoy fighting people that dont want to pvp?
    PvPers aren't all made of the same cloth. Griefers would love nothing more than to gank those who don't want to PvP (far more than they actually love to fight other PvPers in fact).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Well they are just really trolls...i mean i troll in games too so I'm not one to talk, but I would never pvp another weaker player unless they deserved it and based on what I'm seeing few deserve it and are killed just because.

Fighting over grind spots you are not currently useing is not what the game is about lol. They just made that rule up because the actual spvp is kinda unfinished. I guess it's a good thing you can just switch channels. Eitherway I hope they do like anet did with gw2 in the first year and get this game figured out before it dies due to a few sucky mechanics they shoved down the throat of western players. It has so much potential for a korean game.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• subxaerosubxaero Member UncommonPosts: 94
    I  might be too simplystic, i found the game at the first 25 level decently entertaining,

But after a point i couldnt comprehend how little effort has been put in the external gear customization, and this is becoming a worrying trend with games not putting effort on individuality of appearence and armor.

To some might  seem unimportant but to me its a huge deal, i dont care to spent time grinding for craft materialrs  or grinding raids or grinding pvp, BUT i demand to look different(not nesceserilly cooler) after that effort
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    A PvPer looks for challenges and fights other PvPers.
    A ganker is a coward praying on the weak and fleeing as soon as there's serious competition.
    Ganking is PvP, so a ganker is a PvPer. There is no term for an honorable PvPer. 
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Sector13 said:
    A ganker is a coward praying on the weak and fleeing as soon as there's serious competition.
    Ganking is PvP, so a ganker is a PvPer. There is no term for an honorable PvPer. 
    Your definition is wrong and you know it is.  You're just saying it to try to get people to freak out on you.

Obviously there's different types of PVP.  

Ganking is non competitive PVP.  Where the ganker is the player and the one being ganked is basically a mob.  It's just like PVE, but a player is controlling the mob instead of the AI.  Of course the ganker shows up with 4 of his friends to make sure it's an easy kill.  Cause gankers don't want a challenge because ganking is non competitive PVP.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    edited April 2016
    I remember when Dark Age of Camelot came out. The pony farm people complained about the same things.  For me it is pretty funny.  But then I am a evil "PVP-centric" type of guy.

Our answer in DAOC was "play with the BIG BOYS, grow some balls first! B)
    edited April 2016
    I would think it would be funny to start a huge guild that just goes around policing and mowing down tiny gank squads. PvE protection squad of sorts. Might have to break it up into divisions but it could work. Throw some alt bait in some nice grinding spot, then wait with 15 players spread out...then ambush them. Take names and follow them into towns, if they switch channels track them down. It costs what 1k to search a player? After a few weeks killing these little noob squads off I'm sure they will give up. They wanna bring friends? You just come bigger. I mean...they love pvp so much lets give them some real pvp.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

Tiller said:
    I would think it would be funny to start a huge guild that just goes around policing and mowing down tiny gank squads. PvE protection squad of sorts. Might have to break it up into divisions but it could work. Throw some alt bait in some nice grinding spot, then wait with 15 players spread out...then ambush them. Take names and follow them into towns, if they switch channels track them down. It costs what 1k to search a player? After a few weeks killing these little noob squads off I'm sure they will give up. They wanna bring friends? You just come bigger. I mean...they love pvp so much lets give them some real pvp.
    I played WOW back in the Vanilla/BC days.  I played on a pvp server.  In that game we would get players camping places like the Crossroads or Tarren Mill just to kill quest givers.  I had the best hunter on my server at the time.  I am sure you would not need a large group to hunt a small group down.  Just a well geared/chanted high level.

I would humiliate griefers usually. Play the game with them.  Usually send my pet ravager to go in and kill them off. Nothing funnier getting the message on your zone chat board saying  Uberkilla was just killed by Studmuffin.  Which was the name of my pet.

Various ways to deal with small groups of griefers.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,653
    edited April 2016
    This.
    Definitely this.

Sector13 said:Yes
    Yes, a ganker is a PVPer also most likely a sociopath, asshat, and generally the type of person I don't associate with in game.

Honorable PVPers are my crowd, I think the term would be "normal"
    Post edited by Kyleran on

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited April 2016
    (Secret) I once remembered when @Kyleran ; was a carebear.  Once, a very long time ago! =)  Then EVE took over!

Glad no one has mentioned my My Little Pony collection!
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    If you look at current results i think it says it all in that people want to pvp but, only at their own discretion, 

No, someday I might want to participate in PVP and would like the structure to stay as it is. 24.4%
    Yes, I would prefer if BDO had a PVP-off toggle while maintaining  23.8%

So even carebears like me i voted for the 2nd of them, i might want to have a go at pvp, but one of the reasons i CBA getting to later levels, is im having a lot of fun doing the 'carebear' things, horse levelling / breeding, crafting etc, i like the security whilst i figure the game out, then when im happy with whats going on i will go and have a bash.
    I dont like the idea hit the 'x' level and suddenly im cannon fodder, but, i do enjoy the game and most of the points the OP makes i disagree with, yes there are some, and yes there are some missing things, but to say the classes are imabalanced, it annoys me as a pve'r that devs waste so much time trying to balance classes (eve does same bloody thing) that all they do is incrase 1 decrease another, then the balance is wrong the other way. Guess what life aint balanced.
    Its just a personal bug-bear of mine, play a class, get used to it nuances and thats it , dont moan after months of gameplay your guy cant kill a XX guy it needs buffing ..... 
    But, there are issues with the game, that ive made my own voice heard on , IE Market, lack of game support but this is a good game, im enjoying it, but im hesitant to get to above level 40 , atm ive been 35-37 for 5 days and in no rush to move up just to become cannon fodder to some 14 year old on a testosterone filled gankfest.

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited April 2016
    Black Desert definitely has issues that make the game unenjoyable. As you continue playing, these issues will begin snowballing into big problems and you'll start wondering why you purchased the game. I'll give you a few examples.

Most deaths on Black Desert will make you lose 1% of your experience. These deaths will come from pvp, monsters dealing 60% of your health in damage on hit (two hits = death), and then there are times where you respawn to the nearest node and monsters will attack you at respawn. I can't even look at the BDO forums or mmorpg.com after I respawn because I find myself dead when I look away from my client for a moment. If it's not monsters leashing into respawn, it's people pking me because the pvp system adheres to griefing. There's also the autopath system that is COMPLETELY broken and it runs into walls, monsters, scenery without the slightest bit of intelligence. You'll find yourself dead as often as you would in Dark Souls. And 1% of experience doesn't sound like a lot, right? It's actually a huge loss and can range from 10 minutes to hours wasted depending on your character's level. I personally lost 2% just writing this response.

*and now for the real problems*

You can kill 4 players and still be considered lawful on Black Desert. If you want to pk more people and still be lawful, you go kill monsters for 30 minutes and regain all of your lost karma. There is no pk count -- just a number entitled "karma" that ranges from 300,000 to -900,000 and reduces by -60,000 every time you kill a player. So killing 4 players will still leave you blue, which means most pkers will never see the detriment of being an actual pker. This means that you can freely pk whoever you want as long as you can do basic math.

The pvp system is all about your level and gear. If you're fighting a player that's 1 level above you, you're going to find it very difficult to kill them unless you've got another player with you. Suddenly you start dealing reduced damage to people who outlevel you and it's very noticeable. There's also a hidden accuracy attribute that comes into play mostly when people and monsters outlevel you -- you have immense difficulty hitting them.

Melee classes have a large disadvantage on Black Desert because melee classes lack range. Black Desert allows all classes to equip any piece of armor regardless of your class. There's no soft armor, there's no detriment to being a wizard or ranger or sorceress, there's no valid reason to roll a melee class. This highly comes into play when fighting World Bosses. Melee classes cannot deal nearly as much damage as a long range class because World Bosses are designed to one shot everything. Even if you have maxed enchantment on gear and you're level 55 (a huge grind), you'll almost always find yourself dead after being hit once by a World Boss. So now consider the loss of 1% on death and that you're going to repeatedly die to this type of monster -- do you understand now? Of course this entire problem can be fixed with balancing the game, Black Desert NA was released over a month ago and there's no talk of change. There's actually less and less communication with the community as time goes on.

The cash shop gives bonuses on every costume you purchase. If you're spending money on the game, you'll find yourself becoming slightly more powerful with each purchase which creates an ever expanding gap between paying and non-paying players. This also creates a social divide in the community on Black Desert because the paying customers highly enjoy the benefits they get from paying for cash shop items, and non-paying customers get left in the dirt. I'm talking serious superiority complex and flaming/bashing of players who want to see a fair Black Desert -- wanting cash shop items to be only aesthetic = you're the devil. Since the publishing company for Black Desert NA has whale customers, they can continue selling more benefits for cash which means increasing power gap further. There's currently a cash shop costume called the "Ghillie Suit" which completely hides your identity from other players who can see you on their screen. There's also a consumable item called the "Elion's Tear" which nullifies experience loss on death -- these can be purchased for .50 cents each. 

To stay competitive on Black Desert, not only do you need to invest a ton of time grinding, but you'll also need to dish out money to stay on that competitive level. I've paid for $60 dollars in cash shop pearls that only amounted to +300 carry increase, 30 inventory slot expansions, and maybe a pet. Not to mention I already paid $50 for the initial game. If you calculate the necessary money to receive all non-consumable benefits, you need around $200 dollars in cash shop purchases to get the costumes and pets and inventory/carry expansions.

I personally find it disgusting to pay for cash shop...anything. I'd rather pay a subscription fee and nerd out on a game without having to wonder "How much more power can I purchase?"

My main problem with Black Desert is that it makes me unhappy to play. There's no real sense of comfort or home or.. fun. I could absolutely find fun if the game presented something decent, but it revolves around grinding levels and then losing the time I put in with unfair pk and mechanics. I was actually a big Lineage 1 player so I understand pvp and death and grinding and ETC, ETC, ETC. None of these concepts are new to me. I enjoyed all of them in different games. Black Desert unfortunately does these things all wrong.

However, I do like that Black Desert disallows any sort of player trading. I used an old password for my BDO login and some chinese spammer logged into my account. Since he couldn't trade my items, he left everything in its place. The game has goods and bads. Maybe even some of the stuff I've mentioned above could be considered good if you look at it from different perspectives.
    Post edited by WoeToTheVanquished on
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited April 2016
    I don't know, from where I stand, I would call that a win for PvE.  If I where a publisher/developer and I saw a poll that showed that roughly 50% of my player base was unhappy with a feature mechanic in my game, I'd be very concerned and scheduling an impromptu meeting with my staff to make changes to remedy the situation.

Remember, this is not a win/loose poll to elect a winner based on a 51% majority.  This is a poll illustrating that nearly half of the game's player base is dissatisfied with a game changing feature mechanic that is very integral to the game. So much so that a large percentage of the player base is committing regular in-game suicide to avoid hitting that threshold that enables them for PvP, with many going as far as threatening to quit the game.

If I were a developer/publisher I'd be very concerned.  Having nearly 50% of your customers not happy with your product is never a good thing and any business entity would be remiss big time if they did nothing to remedy that situation.

Post edited by LacedOpium on
    Black Desert definitely has issues that make the game unenjoyable. As you continue playing, these issues will begin snowballing into big problems and you'll start wondering why you purchased the game. I'll give you a few examples.

Most deaths on Black Desert will make you lose 1% of your experience. These deaths will come from pvp, monsters dealing 60% of your health in damage on hit (two hits = death), and then there are times where you respawn to the nearest node and monsters will attack you at respawn. I can't even look at the BDO forums or mmorpg.com after I respawn because I find myself dead when I look away from my client for a moment. If it's not monsters leashing into respawn, it's people pking me because the pvp system adheres to griefing. There's also the autopath system that is COMPLETELY broken and it runs into walls, monsters, scenery without the slightest bit of intelligence. You'll find yourself dead as often as you would in Dark Souls. And 1% of experience doesn't sound like a lot, right? It's actually a huge loss and can range from 10 minutes to hours wasted depending on your character's level. I personally lost 2% just writing this response.

*and now for the real problems*

You can kill 4 players and still be considered lawful on Black Desert. If you want to pk more people and still be lawful, you go kill monsters for 30 minutes and regain all of your lost karma. There is no pk count -- just a number entitled "karma" that ranges from 300,000 to -900,000 and reduces by -60,000 every time you kill a player. So killing 4 players will still leave you blue, which means most pkers will never see the detriment of being an actual pker. This means that you can freely pk whoever you want as long as you can do basic math.

The pvp system is all about your level and gear. If you're fighting a player that's 1 level above you, you're going to find it very difficult to kill them unless you've got another player with you. Suddenly you start dealing reduced damage to people who outlevel you and it's very noticeable. There's also a hidden accuracy attribute that comes into play mostly when people and monsters outlevel you -- you have immense difficulty hitting them.

Melee classes have a large disadvantage on Black Desert because melee classes lack range. Black Desert allows all classes to equip any piece of armor regardless of your class. There's no soft armor, there's no detriment to being a wizard or ranger or sorceress, there's no valid reason to roll a melee class. This highly comes into play when fighting World Bosses. Melee classes cannot deal nearly as much damage as a long range class because World Bosses are designed to one shot everything. Even if you have maxed enchantment on gear and you're level 55 (a huge grind), you'll almost always find yourself dead after being hit once by a World Boss. So now consider the loss of 1% on death and that you're going to repeatedly die to this type of monster -- do you understand now? Of course this entire problem can be fixed with balancing the game, Black Desert NA was released over a month ago and there's no talk of change. There's actually less and less communication with the community as time goes on.

The cash shop gives bonuses on every costume you purchase. If you're spending money on the game, you'll find yourself becoming slightly more powerful with each purchase which creates an ever expanding gap between paying and non-paying players. This also creates a social divide in the community on Black Desert because the paying customers highly enjoy the benefits they get from paying for cash shop items, and non-paying customers get left in the dirt. I'm talking serious superiority complex and flaming/bashing of players who want to see a fair Black Desert -- wanting cash shop items to be only aesthetic = you're the devil. Since the publishing company for Black Desert NA has whale customers, they can continue selling more benefits for cash which means increasing power gap further. There's currently a cash shop costume called the "Ghillie Suit" which completely hides your identity from other players who can see you on their screen. There's also a consumable item called the "Elion's Tear" which nullifies experience loss on death -- these can be purchased for .50 cents each. 

To stay competitive on Black Desert, not only do you need to invest a ton of time grinding, but you'll also need to dish out money to stay on that level. I've paid for $60 dollars in cash shop pearls that only amounted to +300 carry increase, 30 inventory slot expansions, and maybe a pet. Not to mention I already paid $50 for the initial game. If you calculate the necessary money to receive all non-consumable benefits, you need around $200 dollars in cash shop purchases to get the costumes and pets and inventory/carry expansions.
    I am glad I never bought in to this game.  Sounds like another cash grab company.  With no long term goals.
    Feel bad for those players who bought into this game.