Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The $100m Dollar Game - BBC behind the scenes video

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited April 2016
    Adjuvant1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    filmoret said:
    They should be releasing something like this every six months.  It would help a lot with their pr.
    when you think about it I think their PR is doing really well.

I mean Elite Dangerous...out...made for a fraction of the cost, already has planetary landing expansion and well...nobody talks about them because the hype PR isnt off the scales.

besides..PR is 100000000000% responsible for every single dime they have made , so PR is in tact, actual game play is questionable

People are emotionally invested in SC for the amount of money and hope they've poured into it. E:D didn't do that to people, to the tune of 1000, 3000, 15000, 35000 dollars a head.
    yeah there is (or rather should be) no doubt to anyone that SC is a marketing juggernaut and that is how they make their money and 'PR' as it were is solid otherwise it would not work as it currently does.

however despite that I think many are still very curious to see if the actual end output will be better than a AAA marketing juggernaut. Because to be fair we cant really blame SC too much for doing exactly what AAA companies do which is market the ____ out of nothing

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    seldin said:
    Well I have supported a few game via Kickstarter.  I have looked at it more as an early preorder with some preorder bonuses.  What gets me is what some of these games such as Star Citizen expect when they finally release the game.  Most AAA games get a huge influx of cash upon release these Kickstater games have already sold the copies of the game and received the money for development.  I assume that Star Citizen will either have addons to sell or hope that they have not oversaturated the market with preorders.  If they sold most of the market a copy already they not going to have an influx of funds for servers or continued development of expansions, etc.
    Oh don't you worry my friend they have very nicely put in place the need to spend real cash every month just to enjoy the game.  I fear it will cost 100+$ a month but if we are lucky it will be more like 30$.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Right now, people pay $20 a month just to subscribe to the game's development.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    filmoret said:
    Oh don't you worry my friend they have very nicely put in place the need to spend real cash every month just to enjoy the game.  I fear it will cost 100+$ a month but if we are lucky it will be more like 30$.
    I follow this project since October 2012 and the "need" to spend real cash every month "just to enjoy the game" has elluded me so far.

Could you please spell it out what this NEED is ?

I could voluntarily spend real life money on this game ... but there is no one that holds a gun to my head and forces me to do it. SC will be as enjoyable with or without spending real life money every month.

Have fun
    edited April 2016
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Incorrect.

Have fun

PS:
    I guess you refer to the VOLUNTARY Subcription system
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/subscriptions
    where some backers support the development on a VOLUNTARY basis with an additional monthly fee. Everything you can get as a subscriber you can also get as a backer for no additional fee in game (or a few weeks later on the homepage for FREE after it was published as an article in the subscriber magazine "Jump Point").

Adjuvant1 said:
    and people pay a per month fee via xbox live to access what is already free to them via the internet.

not saying what SC is doing is questionable just saying so is the ENTIRE AAA market.

Erillion said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Incorrect.

Have fun

PS:
    where some backers support the development on a VOLUNTARY basis with an additional monthly fee.

It's not incorrect. That statement is perfectly correct.
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Erillion said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Incorrect.

Have fun

PS:
    where some backers support the development on a VOLUNTARY basis with an additional monthly fee.

It's not incorrect. That statement is perfectly correct.
    If you mean : "on a voluntary basis" ... then your statement is correct.

If you mean: "on a mandatory basis" ... then your statement is incorrect

And voluntary support with money is what crowdfunding is all about, is it not ?

Have fun
    Not sure what you think you're proving. Not sure where you see "mandatory". Not sure, entirely, whether it's voluntary, either. People are emotionally wrapped up in this thing to the point they're concerned it they don't "give enough", the whole thing might go under before it releases. It's called sunk cost fallacy. The company needs to emotionally release these people and get done what they can get done with the money they've been given.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    I know I'm committing the cardinal sin by bringing up Derek Smart to the topic, but I agree with him with what he said that this game as pitched, with all the bullet point features advertised, will never see the light of day.

I do believe it will somehow be released with many features missing and some incomplete and unpolished ones.

Though make no mistake, if this game ever releases with EVERYTHING they promised, at a AAA level, it will be the greatest game ever developed!
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
    I know I'm committing the cardinal sin by bringing up Derek Smart to the topic, but I agree with him with what he said that this game as pitched, with all the bullet point features advertised, will never see the light of day.

I do believe it will somehow be released with many features missing and some incomplete and unpolished ones.

Though make no mistake, if this game ever releases with EVERYTHING they promised, at a AAA level, it will be the greatest game ever developed!
    Derek Smarts opinion on this matter is about as important as mine.

what makes his more important? nothing.

moving on.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    SEANMCAD said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    and people pay a per month fee via xbox live to access what is already free to them via the internet.

not saying what SC is doing is questionable just saying so is the ENTIRE AAA market.
    Well, you also get free games every month..... games you can actually play. 

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Will see, right now this is all hoopla.

SEANMCAD said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

xbox games? well 'can' play is somewhat subjective there...ha!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

xbox games? well 'can' play is somewhat subjective there...ha!

So for example this month for being a live subscriber you get Sunset Overdrive (which is actually a really cool game) ,  The Wolf Among Us -- which is a telltale game on steam,   dead space (the first one) which was also available on PC and Saints Row IV  which is basically like GTA IV.   Those are some pretty good games considering I only paid about 40 bucks for a year of XBL.  

That would be about 10 dollars per game this month alone... but you get free games every month.

Sunset overdrive sells for about 20.00 on XB if I were to buy it outright.

Lets say I bought the rest on Steam

Wolf among us is 24.99 on steam   http://store.steampowered.com/app/250320/

Dead Space 1  is 19.99 on steam   http://store.steampowered.com/app/17470/

and Saints Row IV is 14.99 on steam  http://store.steampowered.com/app/206420/

So.. all in all, XBL is much better than... well.... 20 dollars a month to star citizen.. for....  ... something?

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    If they pull this off it will be the next WoW.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    They won't. Too much hype has already inflated it to epic proportions in many people's mind so if the game does release it will be a disappointment 
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

The one thing I Don't understand with these kick starter games, is there's not return of profit. why would I as a investor pay 10,000 dollars or $200 for a company to produce a game without return?

You dont know what Kickstarter really is do you?  Its not a site where you invest in a business to share the profits, you donate to the business so it can make a product ( or service I might imagine ), and it return you get something the company produces, generally based on how much your donated.
    Kefo said:
    They won't. Too much hype has already inflated it to epic proportions in many people's mind so if the game does release it will be a disappointment 
    Like WoW ;-)

Have fun
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Problem with Star Citizen is the fact the project they are working is "too big", the "idea" requires too much continues development in the long run to keep up the interest.

Based on what I know so far is I go do quests/missions, earn currency, buy ships and then use those ships for PvP (which I'm guessing will be another zergfest)

Bottom line is....this formula will fail because there is far more one can do to a game than just do quests, get currency, buy ships and PvP to earn more currency for better ships, so you do more PvP and then for what?

The game despite its huge ambition and budget is very limited in the types of "endgames" and "features" it offers. It's just another failed design that focuses a lot on new technology, graphics similar to Black Desert Online.

At least these are some of the first new "ambitious" games we see that have the funds, but lack the people behind to truly deliver the right formula for long term longevity to their product. I hope I'm wrong though.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Kopogero said:
    Problem with Star Citizen is the fact the project they are working is "too big", the "idea" requires too much continues development in the long run to keep up the interest.

Based on what I know so far is I go do quests/missions, earn currency, buy ships and then use those ships for PvP (which I'm guessing will be another zergfest)

Bottom line is....this formula will fail because there is far more one can do to a game than just do quests, get currency, buy ships and PvP to earn more currency for better ships, so you do more PvP and then for what?

The game despite its huge ambition and budget is very limited in the types of "endgames" and "features" it offers. It's just another failed design that focuses a lot on new technology, graphics similar to Black Desert Online.

At least these are some of the first new "ambitious" games we see that have the funds, but lack the people behind to truly deliver the right formula for long term longevity to their product. I hope I'm wrong though.
    Exactly.

But thats putting the cart before the horse. You cant argue the lack of just about everything that makes a game an MMO until you have a game. We have alot of stages to go before we get there.

First they need an actual game, then they need a persistent game world, then they need a REAL alpha stage, then a beta stage, then some stability, then some optimization, then a release.   And any little things they think they need. 

Then once the game is release we can talk about WHAT The game is. Which still wont immediately be a concern about the 'goals' of the game. I suspect stability will be a major issue at launch (assuming there is one) then of course the cash shop arguments and monetization. THEN finally the gameplay style might come in once all that gets sorted out.

I call it the Archeage Syndrome. Archeage was completely lacking in any sort of 'end game' or long term goals beyond mindless zergs or growing crap or making trade packs (which were a money losing proposition). But because it was such an abortion at rlease with bots, hacks, cheats, dupes etc etc etc people didnt get to the fundamental shortcomings of the game for a long time.
    Kopogero said:

a few things

1. the whole 'zergfest' meme is a bit old. Zerg is a key component in warfare and thus a key component in PvP. PvP isnt about locked 1v1 tactical combat, that might as well be Street Fighter.

2. The game has cargo ships. Exactly what is a cargo ship going to do in a pvp only death match?

SEANMCAD said:

2. The game has cargo ships. Exactly what is a cargo ship going to do in a pvp only death match?
    Die.

Have fun
    edited April 2016
    I went the SC site curious to see how many ships there are.

70 either done or in planning stages.

70....and no game effectively.

I really like what I hear about SC but I have yet to be anything but suspicious when I look at what is really being produced.

SEANMCAD said:
    I went the SC site curious to see how many ships there are.

70 either done or in planning stages.

70....and no game effectively.

I really like what I hear about SC but I have yet to be anything but suspicious when I look at what is really being produced.
    Did you check out the Feature and Ship list of what currently is testable in Alpha 2.3 ?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list

Have fun