Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The $100m Dollar Game - BBC behind the scenes video

DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Nice.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Nice.
    Indeed.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    An interesting "behind the scenes" video that adresses the many new unique points and some of the controversial points of the Star Citizen project. I like it.

Have fun
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    100 million $....now compare SWTOR; a 250 million $ game; to this one.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562

The one thing I Don't understand with these kick starter games, is there's not return of profit. why would I as a investor pay 10,000 dollars or $200 for a company to produce a game without return?

Or compare it with SWTOR around the end of 2008, when it was 3 years into development and announced to the public for the first time. Which is approximately the point Star Citizen is at the moment development wise.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic

"Star Wars: The Old Republic was first conceived in 2005 as a MMORPG follow-up to BioWare's previous video games, the popular Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, and the game was first announced on October 21, 2008. The game itself was released to the public on December 20, 2011"

Have fun
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    this is a point or even Elite Dangerous for that matter

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

The one thing I Don't understand with these kick starter games, is there's not return of profit. why would I as a investor pay 10,000 dollars or $200 for a company to produce a game without return?

Do not think Kickstart is an investor site...it is more a donation site.
    edited April 2016

Because you love space sim games and want the genre revived ?

Because you could not care less about profit ?

Have fun

PS:
    The revival of the genre has already been achieved by Star Citizen and Elite:Dangerous together. A LOT of new space games are coming out soon.
    Erillion said:
    Or compare it with SWTOR around the end of 2008, when it was 3 years into development and announced to the public for the first time. Which is approximately the point Star Citizen is at the moment development wise.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic

"Star Wars: The Old Republic was first conceived in 2005 as a MMORPG follow-up to BioWare's previous video games, the popular Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, and the game was first announced on October 21, 2008. The game itself was released to the public on December 20, 2011"

Have fun
    I just looked up the cost of Elite Dangerous and it appears more than 8 million but unknown how much over that. so lets double it.

16 million is a fraction of an AAA bloatware game

SEANMCAD said:
    I just looked up the cost of Elite Dangerous and it appears more than 8 million but unknown how much over that. so lets double it.

Source:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-11-elite-dangerous-original-budget-was-8m

"The original budget, because we put a lot of our money towards it, was £8m," David Braben - the man in charge - told me at Gamescom. And, he added, "it's grown by quite a lot".

Fill in what you personally believe to be "quite a lot" more than 8 million Pound Sterling (11.44 M$).

Have fun

edited April 2016
    Erillion said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Source:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-11-elite-dangerous-original-budget-was-8m

"The original budget, because we put a lot of our money towards it, was £8m," David Braben - the man in charge - told me at Gamescom. And, he added, "it's grown by quite a lot".

Fill in what you personally believe to be "quite a lot" more than 8 million Pound Sterling (11.44 M$).

Have fun

yeah that is the exact thing I found...so 100% more would be in my mind 'quite a bit'.

so 22 million? 33 million? 44 million? 55 million? 66 million? 77 million? 88 million? 99 million?
    and even at 99 million it STILL better than a AAA bloatware game

still a TON better deal than AAA bloatware games

SEANMCAD said:

I agree - which was my reason for backing both SC and E:D :-)

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    SEANMCAD said:

I agree - which was my reason for backing both SC and E:D :-)

Have fun
    maybe AAA companies should skip development and instead try to buy a indie title without bothering to try and manage the project and then just turn around and AAA hyper hype the title they just bought.

i bet they would make more money...ha!

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/446156/press-chris-roberts-calls-people-armchair-developers/p1

Also, I'm still amazed BBC didn't edit the "oxymoron phrase". Sigh.

Well it's great CIG is getting lots of free advertisement in the press, for their estimated 16 million pound investment in the UK.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I would not invest unless I thought I would get a return. It is very likely that larger investors have contracted a return and have insurance on the investment. Meanwhile regular folks get to donate. Don't think for one second that larger donations are donations, they are investments, propped up to look like donations so regular Joe thinks if that money is being tossed around, I am confident now and want to support too.
    I would not invest unless I thought I would get a return. It is very likely that larger investors have contracted a return and have insurance on the investment. Meanwhile regular folks get to donate. Don't think for one second that larger donations are donations, they are investments, propped up to look like donations so regular Joe thinks if that money is being tossed around, I am confident now and want to support too.
    I think the reason people give money to kickstarters for games is because they are literally that unhappy with what gaming market has to offer otherwise.

aka...the games prior to kickstarters were so bad people were willing to give away money for free in  hopes that they MIGHT get to someday play a game that basically isnt just trash

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Nice video, really hope this pans out for the people invested. 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    They should be releasing something like this every six months.  It would help a lot with their pr.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    looks pretty damn awesome.. shame i'm just not that into flying spaceships around.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

edited April 2016
    filmoret said:
    They should be releasing something like this every six months.  It would help a lot with their pr.
    when you think about it I think their PR is doing really well.

I mean Elite Dangerous...out...made for a fraction of the cost, already has planetary landing expansion and well...nobody talks about them because the hype PR isnt off the scales.

besides..PR is 100000000000% responsible for every single dime they have made , so PR is in tact, actual game play is questionable

SEANMCAD said:
    filmoret said:
    when you think about it I think their PR is doing really well.

I mean Elite Dangerous...out...made for a fraction of the cost, already has planetary landing expansion and well...nobody talks about them because the hype PR isnt off the scales.

besides..PR is 100000000000% responsible for every single dime they have made , so PR is in tact, actual game play is questionable

People are emotionally invested in SC for the amount of money and hope they've poured into it. E:D didn't do that to people, to the tune of 1000, 3000, 15000, 35000 dollars a head.
  • seldinseldin Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Well I have supported a few game via Kickstarter.  I have looked at it more as an early preorder with some preorder bonuses.  What gets me is what some of these games such as Star Citizen expect when they finally release the game.  Most AAA games get a huge influx of cash upon release these Kickstater games have already sold the copies of the game and received the money for development.  I assume that Star Citizen will either have addons to sell or hope that they have not oversaturated the market with preorders.  If they sold most of the market a copy already they not going to have an influx of funds for servers or continued development of expansions, etc.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    The most interesting comment was the comparison to investing in a 2020 Ferrari, perhaps a foreshadowing to the actual PU release date?

You heard it here 1st

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited April 2016
    Kyleran said:
    The most interesting comment was the comparison to investing in a 2020 Ferrari, perhaps a foreshadowing to the actual PU release date?

You heard it here 1st
    He also makes a comparison to "buying", when the SC ToS specifically avoids the word "buy" or "purchase" in the "pledge" or, basically, gifting to the company for the transaction of digital goods.

They have to be careful with these words. An Australian judge just passed a judgement against Steam for unenforceable Tos, a French consumer protection organization is pursuing similar legal action against Steam, and CIG is charging VAT in the Eurozone. People aren't reading the ToS and think they have some ownership of something in SC. They do not. If things go south, there are going to be alot of questions, and quotations from company employees will be used as reference.

edit: citation
    http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/29/australia-says-steam-violated-consumer-law/

sets precedent for law involving sale of digital goods