Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After a couple weeks finally starting to "GET IT"

JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
For those new players out there completely lost but liking the game world , Hang in there.... It all starts to click after a few weeks and i can tell you im hooked!!!! You should know within the first few days if this is "your kind " of game but dont quit if you dont get it right away... What i mean by that is, if after 3 or 4 days you like the game but dont understand shit realize this game has a MASSIVE learning curve that will require you to read and ask alot of questions, but once you undertsand the way everything works you will be hooked GREAT MMO
  • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Comments

• caine6621caine6621 Member UncommonPosts: 210
    I am hooked.  I am lost as hell but I am hooked!!!  Biggest problem isn't finding something to do, it's trying to keep yourself from trying to do too much.I have never heard so many people openly say on chat how much they enjoy a game.

There are only 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited April 2016
    I thunk thunderC created the wrong title.. Eve online was his real title, seeing as he mentioned learning curve, what possible curve could BD have that requires having to "get it" :D  It is pretty much the same as everyother mmo style.
  • viletot0viletot0 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    wyldmagik said:
    I thunk thunderC created the wrong title.. Eve online was his real title, seeing as he mentioned learning curve, what possible curve could BD have that requires having to "get it" :D  It is pretty much the same as everyother mmo style.

you clearly have never played the game if you think "It is pretty much the same as everyother mmo style."
    and yes there is quite a learning curve.  eve is not the only game with a learning curve. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    viletot0 said:
    wyldmagik said:

you clearly have never played the game if you think "It is pretty much the same as everyother mmo style."
    and yes there is quite a learning curve.  eve is not the only game with a learning curve. 
    Not to mention EVE's learning curve can be bypassed with some Excel tutorials :awesome: 

• JownzJownz Member UncommonPosts: 62
    I thought it was a great game for awhile. Then I made it to the endless grind. Grind for armor, Fight for items on the market place that disappear in seconds, Grind the amenity game, Grind for black stones, Grind daily quests for marks, Grind for blue drops, Grind for money, Grind for experience. Once the fun ass combat wears off your stuck in the endless grind.

I loved the combat, I loved the game world, the UI was fresh and I liked it a lot, Graphics are so awesome, But fuck the game just isn't fun and of course this is my opinion and everyone that likes the game all the power to ya!

Oh ya and Daum, balance your fucking classes jesus...
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Jownz said:
    I thought it was a great game for awhile. Then I made it to the endless grind. Grind for armor, Fight for items on the market place that disappear in seconds, Grind the amenity game, Grind for black stones, Grind daily quests for marks, Grind for blue drops, Grind for money, Grind for experience. Once the fun ass combat wears off your stuck in the endless grind.

I loved the combat, I loved the game world, the UI was fresh and I liked it a lot, Graphics are so awesome, But fuck the game just isn't fun and of course this is my opinion and everyone that likes the game all the power to ya!

The key to enjoying BDO is to live in its world, not just play in it.  

I understand that the extent of that sentence will just go over some people's head.  The one's that get it are the one's who will enjoy BDO, and continue to enjoy it for the foreseeable future, with its forthcoming expansions.
  • wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited April 2016
    viletot0 said:
    wyldmagik said:

yes thanks I do play it, and it has exactly the same game play mechanics apart from a few mini games thrown in to differentiate it. Lets be honest now, no need to be fanboi's etc or act/seem like one. It has fishing, it has action combat, it has a store that is well up to you to decide, it has crafting etc etc etc.. Put black desert with a different skin and you would call it the next best thing to black desert if it was to come out 6 mnths from now :pleased:

I am in no way saying BD is a bad game I am saying to say it is different from the rest of the mmo's we have all been playing the last few years now is just utter nonsense. It is a typical game we have already played it is just made rather nice for a change.

Put it side by side with game mechanics etc of archeage and you will have a very sim game.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited April 2016
    wyldmagik said:
    viletot0 said:
    wyldmagik said:

yes thanks I do play it, and it has exactly the same game play mechanics apart from a few mini games thrown in to differentiate it. Lets be honest now, no need to be fanboi's etc or act/seem like one. It has fishing, it has action combat, it has a store that is well up to you to decide, it has crafting etc etc etc.. Put black desert with a different skin and you would call it the next best thing to black desert if it was to come out 6 mnths from now :pleased:

I am in no way saying BD is a bad game I am saying to say it is different from the rest of the mmo's we have all been playing the last few years now is just utter nonsense. It is a typical game we have already played it is just made rather nice for a change.

You say its just the same game all over again. What would you make different? if you remove the features that every single game in the history of video games share in common just to make it different, you end up with a visual novel.

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    thunderC said:
    For those new players out there completely lost but liking the game world , Hang in there.... It all starts to click after a few weeks and i can tell you im hooked!!!! You should know within the first few days if this is "your kind " of game but dont quit if you dont get it right away... What i mean by that is, if after 3 or 4 days you like the game but dont understand shit realize this game has a MASSIVE learning curve that will require you to read and ask alot of questions, but once you undertsand the way everything works you will be hooked GREAT MMO

Welcome to the path of enlightenment!  lol :pleased: 
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    wyldmagik said:
    viletot0 said:
    wyldmagik said:

Put it side by side with game mechanics etc of archeage and you will have a very sim game.

The game will be different to every player that plays it.  BDO's game play can be made to be shallow, or it can be made to be deep.  It's depth is certainly there for those who seek it.  It all depends on the player.  Your game play experience has fallen into the shallow category.  But that's on you, not the game.  Shallow brains make for shallow games.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    wyldmagik said:
    viletot0 said:
    wyldmagik said:

OK I get you. A steak is just a steak so always buy the cheapest cut? :)

I've been playing MMOs for almost 20 years... this one feels different to me.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    wyldmagik said:
    viletot0 said:
    wyldmagik said:

You don't understand the game or care to apparently.  Your loss.  Black Desert Online is so fundamentally different from traditional MMORPGs that many of its concepts will undoubtedly be used and improved upon in the future years of new MMO development.  It's that different.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited April 2016
    "You don't understand the game or care to apparently.  Your loss.  Black Desert Online is so fundamentally different from traditional MMORPGs that many of its concepts will undoubtedly be used and improved upon in the future years of new MMO development.  It's that different."

Uh huh.  Care to explain the differences?

Here's how I would describe the middle of the game (the part of the game mmorpg.com is obsessed with):

"It looks pretty and has side activities."  

Am I missing something?

Sure that's a bit different and cool but they didn't reinvent the wheel.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Am I missing something?

Always.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    I enjoyed the game to 30 then one night I just started killing mobs and next thing I knew (about 6 hours later) I was like 50 and then I started getting into areas where people just kill you for matter of doing it.

At that point I realized that I was not skilled enough to compete in PvP so I deleted the char and started a new one a couple days later. BUT, then I realized I would eventually hit the same wall so I decided to quit while I was ahead.

For those of you that enjoy the game I understand your views.

For those of you that don't I can understand your points too.

Lets see where it lands in a year.

I will make no more comments here as it is no longer in my interest.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Once you realize the game isn't trying to guide you and there is no set patterns; you can finally start to appreciate it. You have to realize there is a learning curve no matter what direction you take. I encourage anybody playing just pick a direction and explore.

• retiredmjretiredmj Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Seriously a learning curve?

It's amazing that games have been so dumbed down that this game is considered to have a steep learning curve.   Don't get me wrong, unfortunately this game does have a learning curve when comparing it to most games now but, seriously it's taking people a month to figure out this learning curve?  A couple evenings and you really should have a grasp on the game.

The game is fun but there really isn't enough of a PvP penalty to make this anything but a gankfest once you hit 45.  The NA publishers decided to soften the penalty, it is at this time that yes, this game becomes like every other MMO with a PvP server.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Jownz said:

The key to enjoying BDO is to live in its world, not just play in it.  

I understand that the extent of that sentence will just go over some people's head.  The one's that get it are the one's who will enjoy BDO, and continue to enjoy it for the foreseeable future, with its forthcoming expansions.
    That is why some liked SWG, and other did not. It's too much like RL; not everyday is exciting. Yeah it can be a second job, but some like that, others don't.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    retiredmj said:
    Yep, that's what was said. Side-splitting...

• yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240
    edited April 2016
    retiredmj said:

It's amazing that games have been so dumbed down that this game is considered to have a steep learning curve.   Don't get me wrong, unfortunately this game does have a learning curve when comparing it to most games now but, seriously it's taking people a month to figure out this learning curve?  A couple evenings and you really should have a grasp on the game.

The game is fun but there really isn't enough of a PvP penalty to make this anything but a gankfest once you hit 45.  The NA publishers decided to soften the penalty, it is at this time that yes, this game becomes like every other MMO with a PvP server.
    What is it they say? "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance". You don't, mate. Simple as that.
  • rvhausenrvhausen Member UncommonPosts: 51
    ArChWind said:
    I enjoyed the game to 30 then one night I just started killing mobs and next thing I knew (about 6 hours later) I was like 50 and then I started getting into areas where people just kill you for matter of doing it.

At that point I realized that I was not skilled enough to compete in PvP so I deleted the char ...
    Just as a PSA, if you grind straight from 30 to 50, you're probably lacking in energy, contribution points and gear enhancement.  The latter makes it difficult to compete in pvp (my one real issue with the game), but that level 50 could have been useful in many ways so it's a shame you deleted him.  I hope you at least extracted your black stones and banked /sold everything he had!