Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO - a very polarizing game

GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097

Black Desert Online sure has polarized a lot of folks!  Some people think it’s the best thing since sliced bread, others think it is as damnable as politics.  Well, both camps are right to a degree, and it depends on what is important to YOU.  I thought a feature by feature comparison may be in order.  Each feature has a plus and minus associated with it, and YOU have to decide which one wins in your mind.

-----------------------------------------

1 – Beautiful graphics.  This game is very, very pretty.  The surprisingly low system requirements show how well optimized this game is.  I would think that whether you love or hate this game, more games should be made using this engine as it has been utilized.

Camp positive looks as the swaying grass and detailed roads and towns, and it takes their breath away.  Camp negative says it doesn’t matter how pretty a game is if you are in combat, and especially if you are being ganked.

2 – Open world PvP.  This is a game maker for Camp P and a game breaker for Camp N.  Knowing that hitting the level cap opens the door for players to attack you with or without your permission is exhilarating for P and reprehensible for N.

3 – Exceptional depth to noncombat aspects.  The game has a lot of depth outside of basic leveling and crafting.  Camp P likes the heavy involvement, and Camp N thinks it is annoying.  To Camp N their motto is “I JUST WANT TO FIGHT DAMNIT!”

4 – PK zergs.  This happens to every game that has an open PvP zone.  I play ESO, and going into Cyrodil means you zerg or get zerged.  The thing that Camp N hates is that there is no way to avoid this once you are level 45.  PK zergs are something you have to deal with if you want to tap the best resources in BDO.  I think there is a compromise that can be reached; possibly raise the karma penalty outside of the Black Desert, and bring it to zero in the Black Desert.  That way, players that want to avoid PKers just stay out of the Black Desert.

But that is neither here nor there.  The system as is is what we deal with.  Camp P is all for open world PvP, actively seeks out such games and enjoys learning the aspects of the game to make them top scorers.  Camp N just wants to play the game and avoid PKers at all costs.

5 – Costumery.  Camp P either does not mind paying to have a unique look or doesn’t care how they look.  Camp N is totally offended that they have to pay so much to get a unique look.  And no matter what camp you are in, the price is steep.  This is the only game I have ever seen that has such high costs for costumes.  Most games give a variety of looks to choose from, with some unique ones that you need to pay for.  But the high cost… I was out of work for a year thanks to a rather horrid economy, and I am still trying to catch up.  The last time I had a steak that I paid for was about three years ago.  There is no way I could remotely justify buying even a single costume for at least two years, about when my saving are adequately refilled.  That makes me sad, because I am very much into costumery.

6 – Heavy handed cash shop.  Once again, even if the cash shop is not P2W (I see several arguments for and against this theory) it is still steeply priced.  The high prices turn off a lot of players.  Camp P either does not mind paying or doesn’t see the use in it.  Camp N says that a lot of items in the shop are free in most other games, or are much more sensibly priced.  While I understand that DAUM needs to make money, they should at least consider a per month premium access that supplies Pearls for the cash shop and some perks with or without the cash shop.  There are any number of games out there using this formula; SW:TOR, ESO, B&S, EQ1, EQ2, DCUO, etc… and quite a few of them are doing very well.  I think BDO would also do quite well with this formula.

As is, this aspect is probably THE most polarizing point in the game.  It would be nice if DAUM found a way to make the cash shop friendlier to more players.

-------------------------------------------

There are a lot of other things to consider, but I think this list brings up the biggies for most people.  Everyone needs to decide what camp they are in for each point.  For me it is 1 –P 2 –U (undecided; I like PvP but hate that there is no way to avoid it after you level cap) 3 –U (I like games that attempt to involve me more deeply, but sometimes I think BDO is too extreme) 4 –N 5 –N 6 –N.

So it is easy to see why I won’t be playing.  But I cannot speak for every individual on the planet, everyone has to make up their own minds what is important to them.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    IDK about the cash shop idea you have i.e. creating a premium level account. Sure people would use it, but what they got now seems to be working as people pay for the items. Is it kinda high? yeah more than a lot of games but I'm ok with it for now I guess as long as it pays the bills and they keep dishing out free updates.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    I am a solo PvP player in BD, I gank when the opportunity presents itself, I use V when outnumbered, I get rolled by guilds, I roll the same guild members when isolatated.

The PVP is an unbalanced mess, gear and range rule all.

Ah yes, good ole PVP balance... will never happen until some game somewhere listens to the "advice" from PVPers and has everyone play the one same class with identical gear and skills. That will be a great day for the world! What will PVPers use as the unfairness excuse then? Oh wait, I know: latency, lag and hacks :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited April 2016
    No such thing as PVP balance in an open world pvp game. 

PVP balance is something you will find in instanced pvp where stats are changed to match. Kinda like what Blade and Soul does.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Remember folks, if you don't like something, that's not because you want progress, it's because you're negative.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    When it comes to world pvp, what matters is gear and ally numbers vs enemy numbers, balance is impossible. If you want balance, go to an instanced pvp arena, MOBA, online shooter of a fight game like Street Fighter.

But the pvp of BDO is light years inferior to the old Lineage 1 pvp, Lineage pvp rules and world environment are far superior than BDO.
    So when you die in PVP, do you drop any gear?  Incur any penalty to your character?  Lose XP?  Is there any negative side effect at all other than the bother of having to respawn somewhere?
  • yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240
    edited April 2016
    I wouldn't
    The fact that the game has PvP at all is surprising
    I wouldn't use the word "surprising", more like "stupid".

As a PVP game I understand from the PVP'ers it has a lot of flaws.
    As a PVE'er I can tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread. (ignoring the ganking).

It should have been a PVE game with no owPVP. At worst it should have dedicated channels for each so the compromises that heap negatives on both sides don't happen.

Someone making decisions about this game is a moron. Unfortunate, but true.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited April 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    So when you die in PVP, do you drop any gear?  Incur any penalty to your character?  Lose XP?  Is there any negative side effect at all other than the bother of having to respawn somewhere?

Watching the person that killed you dance over your corpse  is the negative side effect. 
    Recore said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Watching the person that killed you dance over your corpse  is the negative side effect. 
    As an EVE Online and World of Tanks player, the only thing I can say to people who lose nothing when they die in other games is:  HTFU.  Go cry tears of PVP rage when all of your precious armor and weapons fall to the ground for the other player to loot.  Otherwise, get over it and respawn.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    How is it a good PVE game if the questing stinks? Is the exploration top notch?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

There is a lot to do that is interesting without fighting... or questing for that matter.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• viletot0viletot0 Member UncommonPosts: 73

because pve is not just "questing"  there's so much cool shit to do in this game besides questing.  questing really jut teaches you about the systems in place, trading, nodes, building, cooking, exploration, gathering, fishing, etc etc.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    H0urg1ass said:
    Yes you lose 1% experience and chance breaking crystals every time you die PvP or PvE  If you have negative karma then you lose 2%, get broken crystals and lose enchantments on your armor and also respawn in some random area.

You can buy a item in cash shop to negate the effect for 50 cents a pop or you can buy one every couple days with your loyalty points so many say it is not P2W but dying more than once every couple days is rare after 50.

Since experience grind post 50 starts to take hours to get 1% experience it can be overly frustrating to those not good at PvP so they may as well quit.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • RighteousRighteous Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Looks amazing. Care to send me a guest pass for North America?

Unclaimed.
  • rapatpamprapatpamp Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Not really a "do anything you want" game if you are forced to do pvp, to me anyway.

I tried it and didn't think it looked all that great with everything set to ultra.

I found the combat to be left click x10 = dead things (was lv 11 after a few minutes was like WTF lol).

Anyway not for me but whomever enjoys it have fun.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited April 2016
    Given how this game is B2P and has an intrusive cash shop I'm waiting three months post launch to see how the dust settles.  As it stands, the negatives are enough to keep me away even if it was F2P with the same cash shop.

I do think it's great that it clearly offers something different and there is a market for it though.