Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daum says "Cash Items Relatively Expensive..."

PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
Without comment -

While the game is “buy to play,” many users are still purchasing game pass. Furthermore, even though cash items are relatively expensive, we are maintaining large revenue and we predict that current trend will last until end of this year.

http://dulfy.net/2016/03/30/black-desert-naeu-release-schedule-for-april-june/

Comments

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    A fool and his money are easily parted.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    $10 says that the people complaining about the prices the loudest are the ones making the most purchases. 

People can whine all they want, but unless they back up their words with action, Daum would be foolish to lower prices before sales started lagging. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    lol
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    When i need more inventory space ill buy it. Meanwhile i dont need anything from the cash shop, much less if its character bound and not account bound.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Writing was on the wall when they rolled out Founder's Pack for game already released. They must have ties to Martin Shkreli.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I really couldn't care less about the cash shop prices,i worry more about CS in general.I don't like to pla ya game that is making content i have to pay extra for,if they are so willing to put some work into the game then do it to keep your customers not to make added revenue.

Better yet take those employees and man hours and put them into the game because imo the game is not nearly good enough,actually bad enough i quit playing after only 3 days.So they can brag or pat themselves on the back all they want,i am not paying them any money for their cash shop and won't be supporting any further sales they try to make.

IMO they had their chance and blew it,next time pout ALL your efforts into the game and then when people are happy go to the next level of looking for added revenue.
    Furthermore,IF i thought it was good enough at least as a single player game,i could handle the cost of buying the game,but it is not even good enough as a single player game,let alone a mmorpg,so it just fails on all fronts.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    $10 says that the people complaining about the prices the loudest are the ones making the most purchases. 

People can whine all they want, but unless they back up their words with action, Daum would be foolish to lower prices before sales started lagging. 

How would they know if the price is too high?  Perhaps the price is too low?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I love the game and so far the CS hasn't made me mad, but if they get greedy; I mean really Archeage greedy I'm gone.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    It will happen, aggressive CS inc.
  • pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608
    I'd raH0urg1ass said:
    A fool and his money are easily parted.
    Someone who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones. 
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Amusing.

That thread was obviously meant to be negative, yet it gave a link to a road map for near future FREE CONTENT releases for the game.

So basically, the full version is "The cash shop is relatively expensive, but we will give you free content every month including new classes, something other MMORPGs make you pay for".

All I will say then is "yeah, I'm ready to roll my bladder/plum soon!" :)
    It wasn't meant to be automatically negative.  It was meant to be a topic of discussion.  Good and bad.

I also don't compare Daum to the development of Black Desert Online.  Black Desert Online is developed by Pearl Abyss.  Daum does the localization for Black Desert Online.  They are not creating anything.  They are gatekeepers for content.  That's it. 

Those choices could be to screw over the player to spend more money.  It's a compelling argument when looking at what the Korean version of the game has and what the prices are for their cash shop.  I think it's a topic worthy of discussion in that context and looking and the OP quote.  That is why it was posted.  Not to say the game isn't awful or that it's not worth it. 
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited April 2016
    I assumed Daum made their cash shop so expensive compared to Korea to make up for the revenues lost from not selling any pay-to-win items (which they had to not sell as part of the good thing about the game being buy-to-play instead of free-to-play)

Although such a monetization model is semi-doomed to fail in the long term because eventually everyone will have gotten past the buy-price of the buy-to-play game and finished buying their pets/costumes, at which point people won't be giving Daum very much money after that.  Daum themselves appear to have realized this when they said they expect the revenue to drop by the end of the year.  Alas, they didn't say what they were going to do once that happened...
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Amusing.

That thread was obviously meant to be negative, yet it gave a link to a road map for near future FREE CONTENT releases for the game.

So basically, the full version is "The cash shop is relatively expensive, but we will give you free content every month including new classes, something other MMORPGs make you pay for".

All I will say then is "yeah, I'm ready to roll my bladder/plum soon!" :)
    I was positive towards them about this approach but its obvious they have plenty of content elsewhere they didnt release in NA as well as I am sure more stuff ready for Korea they held back to make it a big splash in NA.

But yes all that considered they are doing it 'right' but the credit they get can only be stretched so far.

I also alluded in that positive post that they are more than likely also banking more good will doing this which will help them as they release more and more aggressive cash shop items, either marginal P2W or more blatant P2W stuff.

That is what is going to have to be watched fairly carefully.

But the aggressive way theyre releasing content and the way they seem to be steering marketing I would not be surprised to see them have a steady amount of 'free' content until the end of this year, announce free to play and then an expansion that has to be purchased from the store (thus making the base game F2P but the expansion B2P. This keeping a theme going forward. So in the next year vabilla and the first expansion is F2P and whatever the 3rd expansion is will have to be bought through the cash shop. Also all the while adding more and more stuff to the cash shop.

IMO its makes good business sense to do this. Although if cash shop stuff becomes blatantly P2W it will have a backlash effect.

What they are doing with the game itself and the in game content is good. Only problem I see is the cash shop and how theyre handling that. Which has always been a concern because a 30 dollar buy to play game isnt really going to pay for itself or future development.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Writing was on the wall when they rolled out Founder's Pack for game already released. They must have ties to Martin Shkreli.
    They never called it a "Founder's Pack", they were all "Pre-order Packages". That's like saying every other game that gets translated can't hold pre-orders when it releases in another region.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    The cash shop items are spot on with the price.

I don't agree with the pricing on a personal level - 22$ for a costume doesn't seem right if you consider you can get full games for that.

That said, so many people are buying the items regardless. People complain, but then you see armies of people in costumes. Horse cart skins are not uncommon. I'd imagine inventory space is even more demanded.

They would be silly to choose less aggressive pricing. As long as people keep buying, why on earth reduce the price. I'm not even unhappy about these business models anymore - people should get what they want. :tongue: 
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     With all of the updates eventually making their way to the NA/EU market I don't think they will have any long term issues competing with the rest of the market. Ship battles, an entire ocean area the size of the current continent, the ability to be a pirate like Archeage, or a bounty hunter but without the ability to buy max gear with cash. That's basically all I've wanted in a modern MMO. I can't speak for everyone, but I have a feeling when that update finally hits it will be popular. 

Also, that update was all started before NA/EU sales were really collected, think of where the game can go from here with double the revenue. Honestly this may as well be a AAA game with the type of content they are adding. I just don't see any other MMOs coming along that can compete, unless BDO finds a new way to fail, because in my opinion the cash shop isn't currently a deal breaker for me. As long as people can't buy actual up-gradable armor, and it continues to just be small perks on pieces that don't give AP/DP, I have no issue.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    Soki123 said:
    crappy game is crappy
    Nice post, such substance. Tell us how the mean game hurt you.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Tiamat64 said:
    I assumed Daum made their cash shop so expensive compared to Korea to make up for the revenues lost from not selling any pay-to-win items (which they had to not sell as part of the good thing about the game being buy-to-play instead of free-to-play)

Although such a monetization model is semi-doomed to fail in the long term because eventually everyone will have gotten past the buy-price of the buy-to-play game and finished buying their pets/costumes, at which point people won't be giving Daum very much money after that.  Daum themselves appear to have realized this when they said they expect the revenue to drop by the end of the year.  Alas, they didn't say what they were going to do once that happened...
    God if that's true it just goes to show you how broken even the B2P model is for the consumer, people are still be manipulated to pay more than we ever did for a complete game.  I consider anything that goes into a cash shop to be lost content for the main game, and adding up the cost of ALL the items available in a cash shop (whether you want them or need them) to be the true full cost of the game.

I despise F2P cash shop games, I tolerate B2P games, but will always prefer box plus sub games with no cash shop.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Tiamat64 said:

Why will people stop buying pets/costumes?

If you are Daum, you have about 9 months to figure out who the biggest spenders are and what they prefer. You then make sure new costumes arrive targeted at the people you marked.

Provided you do this right, you should have a fairly successful stream of revenue.

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    laxie said:

They might quit because they feel like the cash shop in the west is taking advantage of the players wanting to support a game they really like.

In Korea they handle things different and that's Daum's problem.  They have another version of the game to compare it to and players get to see how another company (Pearl Abyss) handles cash shop items.

In the Korean version of the game you can get pets and costumes in-game.  They sell different costumes and pets in the cash shop as well that are cheaper than the NA/EU cash shop.

Pearl Abyss handles the cash shop there directly.  Where Daum handles the NA/EU cash shop.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited April 2016
    laxie said:
    Tiamat64 said:

If you are Daum, you have about 9 months to figure out who the biggest spenders are and what they prefer. You then make sure new costumes arrive targeted at the people you marked.

Provided you do this right, you should have a fairly successful stream of revenue.

Costumes are always terrible for long-term profit in any F2P game.  Even Marvel Heroes, a game based around licensing where ALL their costumes come with a "Buy this costume so your character looks just like s/he did in that comic series you loved!" and the power of "LICENSE POWER!" makes very little money according to the developers (they stated it on several occassions)

They sell well at the early life of the game cause no one has costumes yet.  But people only need so many sets of clothes before they've eventually found enough costumes that they like, at which point the amount of people buying new costumes becomes less and less as more and more people become satisfied with the costumes they currently have.

Many people just brought the original costume for the exp bonus and ghillie suit effect anyways and you only need to make that purchase once.  Sure, there are people who exist that will continue to buy costumes just for new looks but the vast majority of people have completed their one-time purchases and won't be buying very much else from here on.

As for pets... why would most people continue buying pets?  Oo  (well, for the whales, at least once they're done reaching decent pet stats via breeding as it is already)  The amount of people that will continue to buy pets after already owning a pet just because they like the way the new one looks are existant but not-numerous.

Again, you don't have to take my word for it.  DAUM THEMSELVES have indirectly stated they expect this to happen!  It's right there in their conference, clear as day, that they expect revenue to drop off by the end of this year!  Instead of questioning whether or not I'm wrong, you should question whether or not the multi-million dollar company with all the metrics that presumably poured tons of effort into researching this (if they have any competence as a business whatsoever) and likely has connection to many inside sources is wrong.

And they probably aren't wrong.

(really, instead of questioning whether or not this will happen when Daum, who probably knows more than you or I do, said it will happen, you should question what Daum is going to do once it DOES happen...)