Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Why are all the MMO's Dying?"

Comments

• HellboundHeartHellboundHeart Member UncommonPosts: 390
    edited April 2016
    Darksworm said:
    Darksworm said:
    FF XIV ARR is doing better than ever. The game will last another 10+ years. MMO's are not dead or dying, your just playing the crappy ones lol.
    The gameplay is too slow, and the engine performs terribly on PCs that aren't relatively high end (you'll be turning so much down, that it will look like EverQuest...).  The gameplay is hampered by the fact that they want to make console players equal citizens.
    All I can say to this is get a better PC. It takes a 660 GTX to run it at max. I am running it at ultra settings and im using an 870m, 8 gigs of ram, and an 8 core processor. About 900$ now for my set up and again, I can run the game at ULTRA PC, not laptop, DESKTOP settings ULTRA.

Which means my PC(laptop) is from 2013, the year FF XIV ARR launched. We also have dx11 too.

Let me guess, you got a TI card for productivity thinking it was a gaming card? I have seen people do this mistake because it saves them 100 or so dollars.

Combat is 2.5 and after 50 it's EVEN LOWER GCD.  As a DRG, I never wait for cooldowns. Especially after the level 30 + mark.

And yo combat your console theory, no, they did not. I have it for PS4 and there is no difference in gameplay or lag. BUT, then again, I do have 300mbp internet and both are wired in. So there is no "hamper" in gameplay AT ALL unless your internet sucks and that can happen on PC too.

Hell, PS3 has a duel core and it runs the game at high settings(looks a million times better than EQ). PS4 at ultra and soon 4k.

Oh yeah, you can play in 4k at 60 fps on ultra with a 2014 rig with ease. My buddy is doing it with his 760gtx LOL.

So like I said before, mmo's are not dying, people just for some reason choose the crappy ones. IDK what else to say dude.
    Why get a better PC when I can get a console for half the price, and that eliminates PC MMOs as an option.

You're completely missing the damn point...

People go console for economic reasons, not just technological reasons.  And those decisions have an impact on the PC gaming market, believe it or not.

Telling people to get better PCs doesn't work, when they have $500 to spend but a better PC costs twice that.  Not everyone wants to go through the trouble of sourcing parts and building their own PC (which has all sorts of inconveniences when something doesn't work properly).

PS4/XB1 are not at end of lifecycle.  Not even close.

My Laptop is from late 2013.  FFXIV runs terribly on it.  I don't want to even argue about this.  The game has high system requirements.  It's why the wrapped mac version runs to poorly and has to be run at reduced resolution even on 1080p systems to get decent performance out of it.

This makes laptops horrible for gaming, unless you're absolutely splurging on one ($1k+) because you cannot even chase specs on them.  A PS4/XB1 will play something like FFXIV on what is equivalent to above Standard Settings and you just never have to worry about the ongoing cost of desktop PC gaming and spec chasing.

That's a huge selling point, and why I've been moving my gaming away from PCs.  The long term costs savings are massive in comparison.

I know a PC can game better than a console, but I am not willing to pay that price anymore.  I use my PC for PC stuff, save money on the configuration, and just game on my cheap console that plays game relatively flawlessly at a fraction of the cost.

Also, I game on PCs with dedicated gaming equipment (Razer Tartarus, Anansi, Naga), so that adds to the cost.  Can't play half these games with a vanilla mouse/keyboard unless you're a keyboard crawler that was forced to do that because you couldn't afford better equipment.  I used Nostrumos and Logitech G## Keyboards before that.

Lastly, many of us have tried virtually everything that has come out over the years.  We are just tired wasting our time and money with these games as at their core they're just more of the same.  Another timesink with hardly any rewards that requires you to delude yourself into believe a virtual world somehow affects you IRL QoL.

Part of the issue with MMORPGs is that fun is contained is various bubbles.  Leveling with a truckload of quests that give minuscule XP forcing you to be a completionist (i.e. ESO) is not fun.  Taking an hour to go from Point A to Point B (i.e. Vanilla EQ) is not fun.

When people PLAY a GAME, they want it to be fun...  NOW.  They don't want fun to come in an hour when they finally get to point A.  They don't want fun to come "after you gain some levels and have more options.  This is why MMORPGs have moved in the direction that they did, because players don't want their time wasted.

This is an MMORPG forum with a very vocal minority so I don't expect much agreement.

The market speaks for itself, however.
    Are you insane? This is EXACTLY what I have and bought in 2013 : https://www.msi.com/Notebook/GT70-2PC-Dominator#hero-overview

Funny, I thought you said 2013 laptops can't run it well. 

Oh, here's my youtube with my videos of FF XIV ARR at ULTRA settings using this laptop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOS0B9e6w68

Here is my Twitch where I stream it in ULTRA quality using said laptop: https://www.twitch.tv/gamemasters101/profile

And BTW, I can build a PC for 500$ thats as good as my laptop. Maybe more if I wanted speakers and a monitor but, most have HDTV's they can hook up too and they have speakers on them so we'll minus 130$ just for the hell of it.

CPU - (8 Core AMD FX 8320) 120$, (gtx 760) 170$, tower 50$, ram (8 gigs) 70$ , 600 watt PSU 50$, mouse and keyboard (combo) (gaming) 30$, speakers 30$ and a 21' monitor 100$.

A grand total of 490$.

All prices came from newegg, amazon, ebay, tiger direct, best buy,etc.

My buddy built his for EXACTLY 610$ and mind you, he wanted extra.

And I highly doubt you have tried EVERYTHING. Just look at the games I play.

So now that I have proof, what say you now?

Oh, here's a 2016 game for you, the DOOM beta, 3 years later and I get a solid 51 to 60 fps. Fallout 4 at ULTRA is 60 fps CONSTANT: https://www.twitch.tv/gamemasters101/v/58254334

Remember, back your words up. I just did. Can you?

Like I said, people will play trash because some moron says it's good. Most will never even try said game and try to make themselves seem educated, kind of like you tried to do.

Oh, you thought I was some kid talking out of my ass?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    This is an article I read this morning 

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/why-are-all-the-mmos-dying.html/

I think there are some interesting points, and even a nod to current statistics about SWTOR and Destiny.  Perhaps a large part of traditional MMO decline is the saturation of the genre.  Not to mention how many similarities there are between games these days.  

What do you think?

Another click bait article using the usual meaningless numbers that developers burp forth to confuse players.  I don't doubt that there is some truth that previous MMORPG players are now playing other games, but the single truth is that current MMORPGs are lacking in quality. 

I think there are some interesting points, and even a nod to current statistics about SWTOR and Destiny.  Perhaps a large part of traditional MMO decline is the saturation of the genre.  Not to mention how many similarities there are between games these days.  

What do you think?

Another click bait article using the usual meaningless numbers that developers burp forth to confuse players.  I don't doubt that there is some truth that previous MMORPG players are now playing other games, but the single truth is that current MMORPGs are lacking in quality. 
    Says who? You? FF XIV ARR content is QUALITY and QUANITY and prompt every 3 months. Been playing since beta and have yet to "GRIND" either.

I think some are mad that they cant afford to play their fav mmo so they just bitch and say mmo's are dying.

Well, FF, ESO, and many others are flourishing. EXTREMELY populated. Very popular and constantly updated with content more than most.

No, mmo's are not dying, there evolving. We don't need new mmo's because we already have fantastic ones out.

I mean, FF is the #2 sub mmo in the world with ESO following right behind and WoW in the lead.

No, mmo's are not dead, the will of the said developer is. They give up or give in like idiots.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    DOOM! DOOOOOOOOOOOM!

...no

DOOM! DOOOOOOOOOOOM!

...no
    DOOM !! DOOOOOOOOOM!!

...YES

lol j/k you can like what you want.
  • IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Oh look nariusseldon again talking about how he thinks mmorpgs are to be played a month and move on. MMORPGs are meant to keep player occupied for longer period of time. Casuals move on after a month, mmorpg players stick around for many months playing with their guild doing end game content.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited April 2016

What do you think?

Says who? You? FF XIV ARR content is QUALITY and QUANITY and prompt every 3 months. Been playing since beta and have yet to "GRIND" either.

I think some are mad that they cant afford to play their fav mmo so they just bitch and say mmo's are dying.

Well, FF, ESO, and many others are flourishing. EXTREMELY populated. Very popular and constantly updated with content more than most.

No, mmo's are not dying, there evolving. We don't need new mmo's because we already have fantastic ones out.

I mean, FF is the #2 sub mmo in the world with ESO following right behind and WoW in the lead.

No, mmo's are not dead, the will of the said developer is. They give up or give in like idiots.
    So as example of the genres health you mention FFXIV and ESO which have never officially published their subscription numbers or concurrent users logged in figures, instead either providing marketing weasel word stats such as number of accounts or characters created?

Apparently neither company has anything to brag about and instead people rely on nebulous marketing firms such as old Superdata reports to "conclude" the games are doing great?  SWAGS at best, outright falsehoods at worst.

Even Blizzard stopped publishing sub numbers saying they were no longer relevant, but only after they dropped continuously qtr after qtr.  Alls not well in Mudville it seems.

CCP has always published the number of "accounts" logged in, and just recently had an uptick over 40K which is great from recent 36K numbers, but well short if the heyday years of 65K.  

They long since stopped publishing sub numbers and never really revealed number of actual "players" and sometimes I think the 40K logged in translates to about 14000 of us actually behind the keyboard.

With few AAA or even AA new titles on the horizon, and current games all staggering clearly the MMORPG genre is on the ropes.

If you don't see it then clearly you are willfully ignoring these and other indicators (major shift of players to MOBAS and other minimally multiplayer games) 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• wiennaswiennas Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Today mmos are way more mmopvps as mmorpgs. Offline adventure or offline role-playing games have more longevity as today mmos. Currently I don't play any mmo, not much of a difference if I install Battlefield 4 or some new ''action mmo'' as they are called. If you are not interested in this, you have to play some other game(s) or wait till the genre brings out something else as big boobs & gladiator arena.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Iwaylo said:
    Oh look nariusseldon again talking about how he thinks mmorpgs are to be played a month and move on. MMORPGs are meant to keep player occupied for longer period of time. Casuals move on after a month, mmorpg players stick around for many months playing with their guild doing end game content.

Yeh .. an another random internet dude is talking about MMORPGs are meant to be a long term game again. So?

Most players 80% leave after 30 days. So clearly 80% do not consider mmorpgs as anything than a short term game. You don't dictate how others play mmorpgs. 

My opinion is that the genre was catering to players who don't like MMORPG.  This genre follows metrics and they probably trended that way.
    You mean "catering to players who don't like traditional MMORPG"?

Yes, i agree. I don't like traditional MMORPGs, and only some modern MMOs. That is why I am still in the genre.

And there is no reason why the genre need to cater to players who like MMORPGs, if dev do not believe there is a big enough audience, or that they simply want to cater to some other audiences. It is a free market, right?
    Why waste resources on making expensive and difficult MMO framework for gamers who don't want it or need it?

Agreed.

That is why mmorpgs are dying, or more accurately, a lack of AAA dev in the western world. There is not enough demand. Pure & simple. 

In fact, MMO lite is perfect for devs .. no more costly than another online game, and they can focus on gameplay instead of have to build a dynamic world, which is not important to players anyway.
  • OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105

So, why are MMOs dying? Maybe because it is our children, who are carrying around iphones etc, and are playing with other ‘fun’ games (not necessary MMOs) and therefore not filling in the void of adult people leaving the game to deal with Real Life Issues.

Or maybe, and what I think, MMOs are dying because we read that spending most of your waking time to these type of fun games will likely damage your family and your future. “wife is agro” term has been around long time my fellow nerds and the damage is now paying dividends.

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I would think most of the people won't play the same game for many years.  And the new players would seek out new morph instead of playing the old ones.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The whole idea behind online gaming was to game WITH other players,not just to SEE other players.We already had fps pvp games so rpg's did NOT need to add that aspect into their games especially since they cannot do it as well.
    There was early promise with these games and grouping with other players.Never really a MASSIVE online game always more or less a MULTIPLAYER rpg game.However now we have completely lost even that aspect of the online rpg's,everything now is single player gaming,so in that respect why bother with the ONLINE.
    Answer is simple,that is their gimmick to adding extra costs to the game,toss in some instances ,add in pvp and they THINK the ONLINE login screen becomes warranted,but imo it is NOT.

The majority of these online rpg's should be sold as single player games for about 10-30 bucks,any more and the games are a rip off.The instances are nothing more than CO-op ,we already had that feature 2o years ago BEFORE the online MMO rpg's,so it still does not warrant an online login screen.

The whole mmorpg genre is as of right now one big SCAM,they are ripping off gamer's,trying to grind out more money than the single player game is worth.I can just use Unreal Tournament as the perfect example,we get the game engine ,the tools,pvp.pve we get the whole package with NO ADDED costs,no login screens,NO cash shops.NO DLC's.People need to wake up,they are getting ripped off.

Ok so i established these devs are ripping gamer's off,i did not even touch on the other gimmick which is to charge full price for UNFINISHED games,something n we would NEVER accept 15 years ago.So it is one scam after another,dumb asses need to quit supporting this rubbish and get things back to normal business as usual.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

What do you think?
    What do I think? Not sure, never got to read the article. Started to, then an ad bunted it down half a page. Found where I was just in time to have another fucking ad bunt the article down the page again.
    Wizardry said:
    The whole idea behind online gaming was to game WITH other players,not just to SEE other players.We already had fps pvp games so rpg's did NOT need to add that aspect into their games especially since they cannot do it as well.

says who? Online gaming can be enjoyed anyway the user pleases. So if some just want to see other players, what is the problem?

And who says RPG did not need to add fps? May be it is fps that add some RPG elements. There are many hybrids RPG-action game that are successful. Do you deny that?

I don't think devs should be restricted just to make RPGs. If they want to make RPGs with shooting elements, or shooters with RPG elements, they can, and they do.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    MMOs are dying because we've been fed the same garbage for 12 years now. 
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    edited April 2016
    Iwaylo said:

Yeh .. an another random internet dude is talking about MMORPGs are meant to be a long term game again. So?

Most players 80% leave after 30 days. So clearly 80% do not consider mmorpgs as anything than a short term game. You don't dictate how others play mmorpgs. 
    Interesting numbers. But players do, in fact, leave. Maybe because the "game" is almost a carbon copy of the last 100 games that have flooded this genre.
    Golelorn said:

Interesting numbers. But players do, in fact, leave. Maybe because the "game" is almost a carbon copy of the last 100 games that have flooded this genre.
    It may be that .. or it may be players are just don't want long games. Either way .. mmorpgs don't hold player interests much anymore, at least in the west.

Hence, no western dev is interested to make a new one. 
  • QuadzQuadz Member CommonPosts: 4
    MMOs aren't dying, there are just a lot of unsuccessful ones and that makes the whole genre look polluted. I also blame toxic people... too many MMOs and too many ahole opinions. If more people accepted what they could not change and actually work to what they can change they would find they could be just a little happier.
  • IggunsIgguns Member UncommonPosts: 71
    What difference at this point does it make?  =)
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Darksworm said:

Why get a better PC when I can get a console for half the price, and that eliminates PC MMOs as an option.

You're completely missing the damn point...

People go console for economic reasons, not just technological reasons.  And those decisions have an impact on the PC gaming market, believe it or not.

Telling people to get better PCs doesn't work, when they have $500 to spend but a better PC costs twice that.  Not everyone wants to go through the trouble of sourcing parts and building their own PC (which has all sorts of inconveniences when something doesn't work properly).

PS4/XB1 are not at end of lifecycle.  Not even close.

My Laptop is from late 2013.  FFXIV runs terribly on it.  I don't want to even argue about this.  The game has high system requirements.  It's why the wrapped mac version runs to poorly and has to be run at reduced resolution even on 1080p systems to get decent performance out of it.

This makes laptops horrible for gaming, unless you're absolutely splurging on one ($1k+) because you cannot even chase specs on them.  A PS4/XB1 will play something like FFXIV on what is equivalent to above Standard Settings and you just never have to worry about the ongoing cost of desktop PC gaming and spec chasing.

That's a huge selling point, and why I've been moving my gaming away from PCs.  The long term costs savings are massive in comparison.

I know a PC can game better than a console, but I am not willing to pay that price anymore.  I use my PC for PC stuff, save money on the configuration, and just game on my cheap console that plays game relatively flawlessly at a fraction of the cost.

Also, I game on PCs with dedicated gaming equipment (Razer Tartarus, Anansi, Naga), so that adds to the cost.  Can't play half these games with a vanilla mouse/keyboard unless you're a keyboard crawler that was forced to do that because you couldn't afford better equipment.  I used Nostrumos and Logitech G## Keyboards before that.

Lastly, many of us have tried virtually everything that has come out over the years.  We are just tired wasting our time and money with these games as at their core they're just more of the same.  Another timesink with hardly any rewards that requires you to delude yourself into believe a virtual world somehow affects you IRL QoL.

Part of the issue with MMORPGs is that fun is contained is various bubbles.  Leveling with a truckload of quests that give minuscule XP forcing you to be a completionist (i.e. ESO) is not fun.  Taking an hour to go from Point A to Point B (i.e. Vanilla EQ) is not fun.

When people PLAY a GAME, they want it to be fun...  NOW.  They don't want fun to come in an hour when they finally get to point A.  They don't want fun to come "after you gain some levels and have more options.  This is why MMORPGs have moved in the direction that they did, because players don't want their time wasted.

This is an MMORPG forum with a very vocal minority so I don't expect much agreement.

The market speaks for itself, however.
     I recently read an article written in the last few months about someone comparing the current gen consoles, (PS4/ XB1) to a PC equivalent.  the consoles, which now sell between 250 - 350 dollars are the equivalent of a 550+ PC using similar parts.

Keep in mind that the parts in the PS4/XB1 haven't changed much aside from HDD choices since they released in 2013.

If people stop to think about that for a second.. over 2 years ago the cost of a comparable PC was likely much more than that.   They've shown that you'd have to own that PC for a minimum of 3 years to make the costs worth it in comparison to a console.

Costs will probably line up in another year or two.. but....  Microsoft is thinking of moving to a more modular design within the next couple years and Sony is already planning on releasing a PS 4.5.  

It's been said over the years that the big console companies sell their hardware at a loss... and I would say they easily make that back with their subscription services.

Anyways,  I'm just coming in to the tail end of this portion of the conversation so I'm not really sure if anything I said was helpful.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

nothing worth while has come out since wow. 

im not saying nothing "good" (subjective)

nothing genre changing.

• SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I started playing MMO and liked it for the community part of it. However after a point of time the mmos that keep coming out and are too many in numbers fails to produce any player community at all.
    It has become a competitive genre where pay to win and pay to play models along with item shop has made it more like a nifty little software to steal CASH from anybody who would go into it.

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited April 2016
    Fun facts...

Start gaming hardcore since early 90's (arcade, NES, SNES, Game Boy, PSX and plenty of Dreamcast and LAN PC until end of 2001). Once I got my hands on my PC never bought a console again since I never needed it and PC games were also far superior (online, etc). Now, it's been 5 years, 2 months and 25 days since I've spent $ on a new game.

It's true what the poster above said, we haven't seen anything push the genre forward, set a new standard, and in general be the future not just for MMO's but gaming since World of Warcraft and that's been over a decade ago.

Where is my "virtual world" persistent, online game? We've had the tools and technology available all this time, yet the product is missing. I would gladly spend $15-35 monthly to enjoy such game with such depth and complexity. Truth is no one seems to be capable to deliver it yet...which shows that it's more than just $ in building these projects.

If others can't enjoy seeing their life go by, settle and be pleased with mediocrity then that's what we will have.

• IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Iwaylo said:

Gotta love when someone puts out percentages on the internet. They must be correct L O L.  
    Casual players leave, you are part of the casuals just move on, but dont try to give people different ideas about what MMORPGs are. Every half minded MMORPG player knows that MMORPGs are meant to be played for longer period of time with group of people doing the end game content and leveling process.