Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online Review

Comments

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    "The huge selling point of BDO is PvP. The only problem is: PvP doesn't start until level 45. This is a sin I hope no game ever repeats. You do not delay your biggest selling point until the end of the game."

Hate to tell you this, but PVP is the end game in BDO... that's why it doesn't happen until the end of the game.  Not much unlike say WoW, in which raiding happens at the end of the game... hence the term "end game".

To show you how silly your statement is...

"The huge selling point of WoW is raiding.  The only problem is:  Raiding doesn't start until max level.  This is a sin I hope no game ever repeats.  You do not delay your biggest selling point until the end of the game."

• MurmelixMurmelix Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I fully agree with the review on all points. It's really beautiful world and combat is fun. But it wastes so - much - potential. It can't find the right words to describe it.
    At the moment i have no idea for what i should play anymore. I could level up to 50, but i think they will pk me a lot and dance on my corpse until i can catch up in gear and level. That is not very compelling. And what is even the reason to reach max level? Or craft? Selling carfted stuff is heavily discouraging because of 35% fees and fixed prices.
    I should go afk lying in bed to reg energie? for real? x)
    I should go afk and fish, to generate moeny? silly... lets pollute our world more...

I want to like the game, but it slaps my face everywhere i go. Lets not talk about the cashshop.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Murmelix said:
    I fully agree with the review on all points. It's really beautiful world and combat is fun. But it wastes so - much - potential. It can't find the right words to describe it.
    At the moment i have no idea for what i should play anymore. I could level up to 50, but i think they will pk me a lot and dance on my corpse until i can catch up in gear and level. That is not very compelling. And what is even the reason to reach max level? Or craft? Selling carfted stuff is heavily discouraging because of 35% fees and fixed prices.
    I should go afk and fish, to generate moeny? silly... lets pollute our world more...

I want to like the game, but it slaps my face everywhere i go. Lets not talk about the cashshop.

Worrying about something that hasn't happened is kind of odd, if you were complaining about something that actually happened it would make more sense. PvP is in the game, but its not the only thing in the game, and while so many people seem to think the game is a 'solo' game, rather than a group one, while there are a lot of things that can be done solo, its actually better if you do things as a group, and there is a lot  to do, the misconception is that at 50, the game is only about the pvp, it isn't, though it might be about the guild your in, or it might be about breeding horses, making Trade or Noble Wagons, Or just having your own trading empire and driving one of those wagons around, or maybe just riding a horse around exploring, the thing is, you have to set your own goals, and selling crafted items is not heavily discouraged at all, its very profitable.
    Also, the energy thing, as you become more skilled or at least reach 'skilled' level in different activities, the amount of energy used actually decreases, quite a bit, it just costs more as a beginner or as an apprentice, because you know, your a bit rubbish at doing it, and the energy used reflects this, same with gathering, reach skilled and suddenly it takes less energy to gather all that cedar/zinc/potatoes etc. and you tend to gather more each time too.
    Recharging energy, its 1 point every 3 minutes, 3 points if your on a bed doing nothing, but as combat doesn't use energy, nor trading (if you don't bother bargaining!) or fishing for that matter if you don't try to decrease the amount of time waiting for a fish, and tbh, the best way to do that is to go where it says there are abundant resources rather than 'exhausted' then its not really a problem, and you start off with 4 character slots, as warehouses inventory etc. is all shared between your 'family' or characters on your account, including the amount of energy you have, its pretty easy to get everything done if you have 4 characters to switch between to carry out various cooking/production tasks, or just invest energy in areas to boost loot drops.
    The game doesn't slap you in the face wherever you go, but it does require you to actually be prepared to learn things, in that sense, the game has a very steep learning curve, reminiscent of another game i won't mention, not everyone gets it. But its definitely a game that rewards effort.
    The cash shop is a tad expensive, but, i can live with that, it is after all, not a subscription based game, they have to generate revenue, and the cash shop is not at all intrusive.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    1. I disagree that the Economy in BDO is bad. The economy in nearly every other MMO besides maybe EvE is TRASH. I can play nearly every MMO on the market and barely have to touch the Marketplace, either because I can go right to the cash shop, or because it is completely OPTIONAL.

BDO, the marketplace is structured so everything in the game has a set value. This means you won't go crazy building a fishing boat, and low and behold fishing is no longer profitable due to fluctuating market conditions. If you need silver, sell a blackstone and you will get a fair price. Have a lot a silver and need some blackstones later on? You can swipe back that blackstone you sold before for roughly the same price.

Inflation will never exist meaning that newcomers will have the same experience vet players had at launch.

2. Crafting in this game is awesome, even fishing, and it's not an AFK activity unless you want it to be. No other crafting in any game is as good, except maybe Archeage. And while maybe you are looking for something like "skill-based crafting" minigames, I have never liked those, crafting to me has always been about hard work, and it requires a lot of planning, forethought, preparation, gathering, building, etc.

3. PvE is sort of Lackluster, but the mobs at 51+ offer a bit of a challenge at least to me in +8 armor and +12 weapons (both green). World bosses are fun enough.

4. PvP should start earlier at like level 30 imo.

5. The community is no worse than most AAA at launch, in time this will improve but I have met some awesome people. Really it's no different than anyone was expecting.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I had fun until level 50. The most interesting thing to happen to me since reaching level 50 was people trying to PK me, which was fun and I would say that guild wars are the best feature of the game after 50. However, there are games out there from Destiny to GW2 that do PvP better and are more rewarding. But in saying that the combat system is almost good enough to make the game worth it despite that drawback. Almost.

Lets not beat around the bush. The game has very signicant problems and it's mostly due to how long things can take to do in BDO. There are times when I log on for a short gaming session and feel like I've gotten nothing out it. In other games and MMO's I had the option to run a few dungeons or pvp in battlegrounds or if I got lucky take down a world boss. Most modern MMOs have content that can be completed within an hour or two. The only thing I can do within an hour in BDO that I actually enjoy are summon scrolls and that is assuming that I have or someone in my guild has a scroll ready. Everything else is a f*cking boring treadmill. The dailies (modt boring dailies I've ever come across), the crafting, the trading system are all so lacklustre and unimaginitive. It's no accident that the most popular thing to do outside combat in this game is AFK fishing. I mean... ffs this is the worst questing I've come accross in a long time. Kill 120 orcs, sweap this chimney collect 5 wood... holy sh*t what an adrenaline rush.

This furstrates me because I personally find the combat so fun - particularly the PvP, but the rest of the game is such a needless time consuming dirge. This is the boring girlfriend of MMOS. Looks nice, fun for in places but dead behind the eyes.
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    People have such skewed perspective on games. Why does there have to be one "selling point" of a game? Why can't the entire game "be" the selling point?
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    carotid said:
    People have such skewed perspective on games. Why does there have to be one "selling point" of a game? Why can't the entire game "be" the selling point?

Because often times Developers only get one thing in a game right and the rest are MEH.

botrytis said:
    carotid said:

Because often times Developers only get one thing in a game right and the rest are MEH.
    So don't play it! What's your point?
  • MurmelixMurmelix Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Phry said:
    Murmelix said:

Worrying about something that hasn't happened is kind of odd, if you were complaining about something that actually happened it would make more sense. PvP is in the game, but its not the only thing in the game, and while so many people seem to think the game is a 'solo' game, rather than a group one, while there are a lot of things that can be done solo, its actually better if you do things as a group, and there is a lot  to do, the misconception is that at 50, the game is only about the pvp, it isn't, though it might be about the guild your in, or it might be about breeding horses, making Trade or Noble Wagons, Or just having your own trading empire and driving one of those wagons around, or maybe just riding a horse around exploring, the thing is, you have to set your own goals, and selling crafted items is not heavily discouraged at all, its very profitable.
    Also, the energy thing, as you become more skilled or at least reach 'skilled' level in different activities, the amount of energy used actually decreases, quite a bit, it just costs more as a beginner or as an apprentice, because you know, your a bit rubbish at doing it, and the energy used reflects this, same with gathering, reach skilled and suddenly it takes less energy to gather all that cedar/zinc/potatoes etc. and you tend to gather more each time too.
    Recharging energy, its 1 point every 3 minutes, 3 points if your on a bed doing nothing, but as combat doesn't use energy, nor trading (if you don't bother bargaining!) or fishing for that matter if you don't try to decrease the amount of time waiting for a fish, and tbh, the best way to do that is to go where it says there are abundant resources rather than 'exhausted' then its not really a problem, and you start off with 4 character slots, as warehouses inventory etc. is all shared between your 'family' or characters on your account, including the amount of energy you have, its pretty easy to get everything done if you have 4 characters to switch between to carry out various cooking/production tasks, or just invest energy in areas to boost loot drops.
    The game doesn't slap you in the face wherever you go, but it does require you to actually be prepared to learn things, in that sense, the game has a very steep learning curve, reminiscent of another game i won't mention, not everyone gets it. But its definitely a game that rewards effort.
    The cash shop is a tad expensive, but, i can live with that, it is after all, not a subscription based game, they have to generate revenue, and the cash shop is not at all intrusive.

Everything you say is true. And i'm already aware of the hints you made. 
    But still - it is silly to have mechanics which encourage you to go afk in a game. A game should entertain you, not force you off the pc ;)
    And every day i log in to play i get more of the feeling, everything i do is pointless. But maybe it's just me.
    Murmelix said:
    Phry said:
    Murmelix said:

Everything you say is true. And i'm already aware of the hints you made. 
    But still - it is silly to have mechanics which encourage you to go afk in a game. A game should entertain you, not force you off the pc ;)
    And every day i log in to play i get more of the feeling, everything i do is pointless. But maybe it's just me.
    The AFK mechanic is actually one of the weirdest things in the game. Why not just let us log out and get the option for our character to do something like fish while we are offline like they did in  Wushu. But even at that isn't the point of games to have an interactive experience? Isn't the interaction between player and game what sets video games apart from other mediums? It's just such a strange design choice.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Thanks for honesty and the review.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    edited March 2016
    Arakazi said:

The AFK mechanic is actually one of the weirdest things in the game. Why not just let us log out and get the option for our character to do something like fish while we are offline like they did in  Wushu.
    ?

That's the whole idea of the afk mechanic. You log off and fish.

If you are actively fishing then you will be fishing more efficiently. You do not want to be "afk fishing" while in game unless you truly have to turn your attention elsewhere or want to be connected in game while you chat.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited March 2016
    Sovrath said:
    Arakazi said:

The AFK mechanic is actually one of the weirdest things in the game. Why not just let us log out and get the option for our character to do something like fish while we are offline like they did in  Wushu.
    ?

If you are actively fishing then you will be fishing more efficiently. You do not want to be "afk fishing" while in game unless you truly have to turn your attention elsewhere or want to be connected in game while you chat.

You do want to be in the game when AFK as your energy regenerates faster whilst online.

Edit: I've been offline completely for two days and I don't have my full energy pool as yet but if I AFK for a few hours i will have a full pool of energy that will allow me to upgrade nodes, craft, gather resources and even have conversations with NPCs. Outside combat, energy is probably the most important resource in the game, arguably more important than coin since silver is so easy to obtain after a while.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    edited March 2016
    Arakazi said:
    Sovrath said:
    Arakazi said:

?

You do want to be in the game when AFK as your energy regenerates faster whilst online.

Edit: I've been offline completely for two days and I don't have my full energy pool as yet but if I AFK for a few hours i will have a full pool of energy that will allow me to upgrade nodes, craft, gather resources and even have conversations with NPCs. Outside combat, energy is probably the most important resource in the game, arguably more important than coin since silver is so easy to obtain after a while.
    Wrong terminology on my part. I was talking about being "offline" in the context of "not playing'. Fishing is more efficient when you are actively playing the mini game. AFK fishing takes longer per caught fish.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    AFK fishing is much more efficient than not fishing at all if you shut down the game while you're asleep / at work though
  • sarbonnsarbonn Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I agree with the OPs points very much. A couple of other points I thought I'd point out that could really use some improvement:

1. Mining nodes and how to interact with them. Yesterday, I discovered for the first time that if I'm mining, someone can walk over where I'm mining, start mining and because he/she can do it faster, that person essentially steals my mining node. Very frustrating and when you have one person following you around because they think it's funny to keep stealing your mining nodes, you'll end up in the same situation I was where you'll think quitting the game is a lot more useful than dealing with rude people like that. Sure, it's the way the game is designed, but that should never be an excuse. It should be a clue that there's something wrong with the design of the game.

2. Blocking only works for the moment and for the character you're signed onto with. When you switch chars or sign back on, you're overwhelmed by the gold spam. I mean OVERWHELMED.

3. It's too hard to tell what a mob in the distance might be until you are too close to avoid aggroing that mob. I can't tell you how many times I've attracted purple mobs that I have no clue of their level just because I was moving forward trying to figure out if they were friendly or not.

4. Very little information available IN the game for so many different things. The whole "Google it to find out" is one of those things that really annoys me about a game and its player base. A game should have information within the game to tell you how to play it, not force you to have to leave the game and go to a web site outside of the game. The other day, I found out I can melt iron ore without having to buy a building to do it (couldn't figure out the building I needed). That sort of information really should be relayed to you so that you're not wasting energy trying to ask people in channel about it instead (and having to deal with dick jokes or straight out insults from a very negative community).

5. I know this is a contentious issue, but I honestly think the game needs actual pve servers, as not everyone plays this game to pvp. Some do, and that's great. But many really don't, and by playing the "well, you should go back to some carebear game" as a response doesn't really serve much of a positive response but just causes those people to leave the game and find another instead. The pk element of the game mirrors a lot of that of UO, but unlike UO, there's no portal ability to go to other cities, or an ability to avoid running through the hostile wilderness that could be avoided like UO. Instead, just to go from one location to the next, you pretty much have to go out into the combat centric wildnerness, and I assume these areas are going to eventually be pk locations once people reach that level and become bored with everything else.

I enjoy the game, although I'm more of a fisherman/trader than a combat specialist. The game is wonderful for that sort of thing. I suspect that when players like me are forced into playing a game they're not comfortable with, more and more people will leave and go to some other game instead.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    ArChWind said:
    ... the real game starts at 50+
    That's just so original. I've never heard that said before about any MMORPG... ever.

You heard it here first folks. Any enjoyment you get before 50 is an illusion. You really are not having fun, you just think you are.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Iselin said:
    ArChWind said:
    That's just so original. I've never heard that said before about any MMORPG... ever.

You heard it here first folks. Any enjoyment you get before 50 is an illusion. You really are not having fun, you just think you are.
    It's probably more accurate to say "Your current game ends at 50+" instead of "The real game starts at 50+".
  • RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    if "the real game begins at 50+" you mean getting flagged for PvP whether you want to or not, the real game begins at 45.
    Iselin said:
    ArChWind said:

It's probably more accurate to say "Your current game ends at 50+" instead of "The real game starts at 50+".
    It's almost like you guys have never even heard of alts... must be tough rolling one character and only one. My Blader, for example, will be level 1 in about 2 weeks :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited March 2016
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    ArChWind said:

It's almost like you guys have never even heard of alts... must be tough rolling one character and only one. My Blader, for example, will be level 1 in about 2 weeks :)
    Well yes, that's the whole point of my post (or at least, one of the points of it).  "Your current game ends at 50+" is more accurate than "The real game starts at 50+" in part BECAUSE you can roll alts.

"Your current game ends at 50+" and "Start an alt to avoid hitting 50+ (or re-experience the pre-50+ game)" are not mutually exclusive statements and in fact complement each other.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited March 2016
    This is the most negative review I've read so far in regards to BDO. When he said "crafting is alright." I had to laugh because this is one of the best crafting games to come out in a long time. I think a lot of players are brainwashed waiting for the game to guide them. I think once you realize there is no set pattern are objective to follow; then you can really start appreciating the beauty of this game.
    Hilarious remark considering you can't trade or sell any of your crafted wares.  That immediately gives the game a -10 for crafting!!!!

If you can't figure how bad the crafting is, I feel really sorry for you.

When you remove the ability to exchange anything with another player, the game is no longer a MMO, just another rpg out there.
    Ozmodan said:
    Hilarious remark considering you can't trade or sell any of your crafted wares.  That immediately gives the game a -10 for crafting!!!!
    If you negative guys wouldn't post such bullshit, then your opinion would be regarded as way more valid.
    You've most likely never played the game at all if you believe this.
    Considering I just finished selling 3 crystal shards for 230,000 each to some unknown person who bought them from the AH and is now using them to make himself a scroll to summon a boss that will give him some phat loot, I do believe I just participated in trading and the economy :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Ozmodan said:
    This is the most negative review I've read so far in regards to BDO. When he said "crafting is alright." I had to laugh because this is one of the best crafting games to come out in a long time. I think a lot of players are brainwashed waiting for the game to guide them. I think once you realize there is no set pattern are objective to follow; then you can really start appreciating the beauty of this game.
    you can't trade or sell any of your crafted wares.
    Who's ass did you pull THAT out off? You don't play the game, yet here you are, lying. Are you a compulsive lier?
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    BDOs crafting is "alright" because its not bad or good. Compare it to FFXIVs crafting and it has no depth or imagination. As I said, its the same as every MMO, the only difference is: it requires more steps. You click something, wait a second, and get something. Its not interactive, its just a more time consuming version of every other MMO.
    Azmodeus said:
    Stopped reading after line 1 :    The PvE is lackluster, unimaginative, and boring.

This is the most I have played a game since EQ1 in 1999 and the only game since then I am literally afraid to die in.   Some of use prefer grinding on mobs instead of easy mode quest hub themeparks like all the crap out there now. 

Best thing about the game, is that it is a niche game, and not made to try to make everyone like it.. cough.. WoW.
    If you are worried about dying from mobs in BDO, something is very wrong. From 1-45 I never upgraded my gear, never used food, and grinding was pitifully easy. You don't need brain cells to grind in this game. For older people, who played like this it may be enjoyable, but it became stale very fast for me. At least with WoW you had something to read from quest, and pique your interest. You don't even have that with BDO.