Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cannot Make Another WoW and Make WoW Money Again

cantankerousmagecantankerousmage Member UncommonPosts: 992
edited March 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

Players are, or should be, sick to death of the Everquest/WoW 'endgame' concept.  The whole kill monsters to get better gear to kill harder monsters to get better gear until you get best in slot gear is so very lame.  Stop calling them role-playing games.  It's a joke.  PVP in any or all of them is lazy and unimaginative, and just trains or allows people to behave or think like criminals.

Massively Monotonous Online Repeat Pay Games, that's all they want to make for people to play.  If you ever think there's ever going to be another good MMORPG (or if there ever really was), you're just asking for disappointment.

*I was tired when I started this thread and did express my ideas clearly enough.  Or maybe the idea wasn't formed well-enough in my mind and the posts of other helped crystalize and clarify the idea.  I apologize for discussing real-world topics on this forum in my initial post.   There are other places/forums to do that in and I won't ever do it again here.

I don't want f2p (pay to win/pay to succeed), and I don't want a cash shop period.  (Because people who pay more money than others are almost guaranteed to have the upperhand, but I suppose there's no going back now.  I wish we could all pay the same amount and therefore everyone is on equal footing, the way it was in the beginning.)  I don't want a western medieval rpg with Everquest/WoW style endgame.  PVP I can ignore if it's bad.  I don't want hollow storylines w/ no depth, laughable scenarios and lore, and forgettable characters.  I would like a world where my choices and ability to role-play might actually matter.  A game that doesn't hold my hand, that doesn't tell me exactly where to go and what to do, but where I can logically figure out or plan my next destination, goal, or objective without just simply wandering around for months and stumbling upon it by blind, stupid chance.  Maybe even a game where players can effect the course of local or world events.  Is there any game that attempts to do any of those things?  Is it impossible? 

I do like fighting monsters, exploring, and raiding.  I do think you need progressively harder monsters, greater and greater challenges as a core part of a good rpg, but not when that is all an RPG offers.  When your character can never be anything more than an adventurer or mercenary in a world that he or she (along with their friends and/or guild) might very well be able to rule or conquer or at least have or gain some authority in, everything else quickly loses meaning.  Gathering, crafting, social interaction, all of it.  Just another player in a sea of players, and nothing anyone does ever really matters to the world.   Doesn't mean everyone should or needs or wants to be a king or an emperor, but I hope you understand what I mean.  No one can even settle down on a farm and raise crops.  No one can build a castle and have retainers/soldiers.  No one can become a merchant and travel from town to town selling their wares, hiring caravan guards to defend against bandits and monsters, etc.  This is why I think PVP is a vital part of PVE, and why I started discussing PVP Game Theory on this forum.

Post edited by cantankerousmage on

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited March 2016
    [mod edit]

To the res of the post, well, there are many mmorpgs out there. Pick the one you like and ignore the rest. Also, yes anyone still pursuing WoW numbers is doomed on arrival.
    Post edited by Vaross on

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Everyone has their own opinion on what they think a role playing game is and should have in it. Just cause its not your "scene" doesnt make it true for everyone.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I see you've turned to the dark side. The dark side being cynical bittervet. 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Tsuru said:
    Everyone has their own opinion on what they think a role playing game is and should have in it. Just cause its not your "scene" doesnt make it true for everyone.

I agree.  Just because a player doesn't like something, that doesn't make it bad or wrong.

You got to love the line "And players are, or should be, sick to death of the Everquest/WoW 'endgame' concept.".   As if we have to listen to him. How pathetic.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2016
    Money is not an issue,i see tons of really crap games being purchased and LOTS of them,so there is definitely a LOT of spending going on.

The only reason why is because there are only a small handful of big name developers and at that time DSL became an affordable crave along with PC's in every home.So we had a huge wave of new online gamer's that began to flow in about a year prior,this phenom will never happen again even if it is a big name developer.

I shouldn't have said never because just look at LOL,a very shallow game with millions of players,look at Hearthstone a half assed tcg  with multi millions of players,DOTA another cheap moba,millions of players.

However specific to the mmorpg genre,it would have to be one incredibly amazing game with some crazy gimmick.An example of crazy would be if news broke out that the President was playing the game or some really big celebrity that attracted gamer's.It could even be a gimmick like what TESO did with the 1 million prize or something along those lines.
    However gamer's buying in based on the merit of the game alone,i doubt it ever happens again.
    Even  with Wow a LOT and i mean a LOT,likely 50% or more was ONLY because it was a big name like Blizzard,if Wow was released by soeme other no name dev it would have never made it past 1-2 million.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cantankerousmagecantankerousmage Member UncommonPosts: 992
    edited March 2016
    [mod edit]

To the res of the post, well, there are many mmorpgs out there. Pick the one you like and ignore the rest. Also, yes anyone still pursuing WoW numbers is doomed on arrival.

I don't want f2p (pay to win/pay to succeed), and I don't want a cash shop period.  I don't want a western medieval rpg with Everquest/WoW style endgame.  PVP I can ignore if it's bad.  I don't want hollow storylines w/ no depth, laughable scenarios and lore, and forgettable characters.  I would like a world where my choices and ability to role-play might actually matter.  A game that doesn't hold my hand, that doesn't tell me exactly where to go and what to do, but where I can logically figure out or plan my next destination, goal, or objective without just simply wandering around for months and stumbling upon it by blind, stupid chance.  Maybe even a game where players can effect the course of local or world events.  Is there any game that attempts to do any of those things?  Is it impossible? 

Tsuru said:

That's true enough.  But I've played D&D and AD&D tabletop, pencil-and-paper rpgs, what all these games are based on, so I think I have some idea of what a role-playing game should actually look like.
    I see you've turned to the dark side. The dark side being cynical bittervet. 

I suppose so. :)
    edited March 2016
    To answer your first paragraph, Trump is going to make that even worst.

I doubt Trump will make it worse.  But that's if he's allowed to become President.  This is, however, not a political forum, so I'll stop there.

I don't want f2p (pay to win/pay to succeed), and I don't want a cash shop period.  I don't want a western medieval rpg with Everquest/WoW style endgame.  PVP I can ignore if it's bad.  I don't want hollow storylines w/ no depth, laughable scenarios and lore, and forgettable characters.  I would like a world where my choices and ability to role-play might actually matter.  A game that doesn't hold my hand, that doesn't tell me exactly where to go and what to do, but where I can logically figure out or plan my next destination, goal, or objective without just simply wandering around for months and stumbling upon it by blind, stupid chance.  Maybe even a game where players can effect the course of local or world events.  Is there any game that attempts to do any of those things?  Is it impossible? 

So you want a single player game. With how expensive mmorpgs are today nobody is discarding the cash shop in their games. Even subscription games have cash shop now. Unfortunately mmorpgs will keep getting worse when it comes to money making. Im actually surprised we dont get charged to level up after filling up the exp bar.

Ive been enjoying a couple of mmorpgs lately quite a lot, but sadly we desperately need an mmorpg crash. As long as the only way to play online is through the company server, they will do everything they can think of to "keep the servers going".

Thats why LAN coop will always be better than flat out mmo.

2016 vs 2004.  The economy is bad, and it's not getting better.  People with college degrees cannot find good paying jobs, if they can find a job at all.  More people are on some kind of government assistance than ever before.  Corporations prefer their slave factories in foreign countries to providing Americans with a way to earn a decent living.  Even higher paying tech jobs are being given to foreign companies and foreign workers.

And players are, or should be, sick to death of the Everquest/WoW 'endgame' concept.  The whole kill monsters to get better gear to kill harder monsters to get better gear until you get best in slot gear is so very lame.  Stop calling them role-playing games.  It's a joke.  PVP in any or all of them is lazy and unimaginative, and just trains or allows people to behave or think like criminals.

Massively Monotonous Repeat Pay Games, that's all they want to make for people to play.  If you ever think there's ever going to be another good MMORPG (or if there ever really was), you're just asking for disappointment.

Yeah because these companies realized that for the amount of time and resources invested, WoW money is donkey shit compared to LoL and Candy Crush's dump trucks full o profits. It has always been the rule that in times of financial strife the entertainment industry booms. Which is exactly what the online gaming industry has been doing. Don't blame a bad economy on the demise of the MMORPG dinosaur, that wound was totally self inflicted. Not only is all the so called "WoW" money still out there, these newer and easier to make types of games such as MOBAs and mobile games have brought in tons more customers.
    Okay, great, so they get to make more money from poorer people for lower-quality, inferior products.  Hooray.  The thing is, I understand how truly great and fun an MMORPG could be, but I've also realized that no one will ever make one.
    Wizardry said:
    Money is not an issue,i see tons of really crap games being purchased and LOTS of them,so there is definitely a LOT of spending going on.

The only reason why is because there are only a small handful of big name developers and at that time DSL became an affordable crave along with PC's in every home.So we had a huge wave of new online gamer's that began to flow in about a year prior,this phenom will never happen again even if it is a big name developer.

I shouldn't have said never because just look at LOL,a very shallow game with millions of players,look at Hearthstone a half assed tcg  with multi millions of players,DOTA another cheap moba,millions of players.

However specific to the mmorpg genre,it would have to be one incredibly amazing game with some crazy gimmick.An example of crazy would be if news broke out that the President was playing the game or some really big celebrity that attracted gamer's.It could even be a gimmick like what TESO did with the 1 million prize or something along those lines.
    However gamer's buying in based on the merit of the game alone,i doubt it ever happens again.
    Even  with Wow a LOT and i mean a LOT,likely 50% or more was ONLY because it was a big name like Blizzard,if Wow was released by soeme other no name dev it would have never made it past 1-2 million.

Yeah, I see your point.  So why do they keep trying to make WoW with some shiny new options or better graphics over and over?
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    OP shows potential. He's not there yet. He should keep at it though.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"

I doubt Trump will make it worse.  But that's if he's allowed to become President.  This is, however, not a political forum, so I'll stop there.

So you want a single player game. With how expensive mmorpgs are today nobody is discarding the cash shop in their games. Even subscription games have cash shop now. Unfortunately mmorpgs will keep getting worse when it comes to money making. Im actually surprised we dont get charged to level up after filling up the exp bar.

Ive been enjoying a couple of mmorpgs lately quite a lot, but sadly we desperately need an mmorpg crash. As long as the only way to play online is through the company server, they will do everything they can think of to "keep the servers going".

No, you know I'm not talking about single player game.  (I know sub games have cash shop, I played EQ2 in 2014.  Well, it had f2p, sub, and cash shop.)  I think I give up.  But just out of curiosity, what mmorpgs have you been enjoying lately?  I promise I won't ridicule any answers you give me.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited March 2016
    I regularly play eq eq2 swtor and  Istaria. I find with all games i get bored after a few weeks but  they all have things i like and  want to keep playing. So i play each for a couple days ior a week and then go to the next. 
    Post edited by VengeSunsoar on
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

2016 vs 2004.  The economy is bad, and it's not getting better.  People with college degrees cannot find good paying jobs, if they can find a job at all.  More people are on some kind of government assistance than ever before.  Corporations prefer their slave factories in foreign countries to providing Americans with a way to earn a decent living.  Even higher paying tech jobs are being given to foreign companies and foreign workers.

And players are, or should be, sick to death of the Everquest/WoW 'endgame' concept.  The whole kill monsters to get better gear to kill harder monsters to get better gear until you get best in slot gear is so very lame.  Stop calling them role-playing games.  It's a joke.  PVP in any or all of them is lazy and unimaginative, and just trains or allows people to behave or think like criminals.

Massively Monotonous Repeat Pay Games, that's all they want to make for people to play.  If you ever think there's ever going to be another good MMORPG (or if there ever really was), you're just asking for disappointment.

While I agree with you on the economic issues, your ideals on progression sound more akin to a Sims type game. There is nothing wrong with fighting progressively stronger monsters, the real problem to me is when that is all an RPG (MMORPG) offers. That system reduces every player in the world to a mercenary, and that is not a good thing. On the flip side, games that don't have that sort of gameplay generally become boring due to a lack of meaningful activities to improve their character.

It takes all kinds.

I regularly play eq2 eq2 swtor and  Istaria. I find with all games i get bored after a few weeks but  they all have things i like and  want to keep playing. So i play each for a couple days ior a week and then go to the next. 
    I played EQ2.  It was fun for a time, but I have no desire to go back to it.  Even though I have 2 lvl 95 characters.
    Dullahan said:

While I agree with you on the economic issues, your ideals on progression sound more akin to a Sims type game. There is nothing wrong with fighting progressively stronger monsters, the real problem to me is when that is all an RPG (MMORPG) offers. That system reduces every player in the world to a mercenary, and that is not a good thing. On the flip side, games that don't have that sort of gameplay generally become boring due to a lack of meaningful activities to improve their character.

It takes all kinds.

I do like fighting monsters, exploring, and raiding.  I do think you need progressively harder monsters, greater and greater challenges as a core part of a good rpg, but not, as you said, when that is all an RPG offers.  When your character can never be anything more than an adventurer or mercenary in a world that he or she (along with their friends and/or guild) might very well be able to rule or conquer or at least have or gain some authority in, everything else quickly loses meaning.  Gathering, crafting, social interaction, all of it.  Just another player in a sea of players, and nothing anyone does ever really matters to the world.   Doesn't mean everyone should or needs or wants to be a king or an emperor, but I hope you understand what I mean. 

Yeah because these companies realized that for the amount of time and resources invested, WoW money is donkey shit compared to LoL and Candy Crush's dump trucks full o profits. It has always been the rule that in times of financial strife the entertainment industry booms. Which is exactly what the online gaming industry has been doing. Don't blame a bad economy on the demise of the MMORPG dinosaur, that wound was totally self inflicted. Not only is all the so called "WoW" money still out there, these newer and easier to make types of games such as MOBAs and mobile games have brought in tons more customers.
    Okay, great, so they get to make more money from poorer people for lower-quality, inferior products.  Hooray.  The thing is, I understand how truly great and fun an MMORPG could be, but I've also realized that no one will ever make one.
    I love this sad tone of elitism we see from so many of my fellow older gamers. As if some how our pretending to be digital dwarves and wizards in small and tedious little worlds was somehow more mature and cultured than any other type of frivolous gaming.

No, I can't fault people for wasting their time or entertaining themselves in whatever way they find most enjoyable (as long as they're not hurting someone else).  The lower quality products I was referring to are currently available mmorpgs that enough people play for the world to be fun.  I don't know if I would enjoy any of the older games that would be better with more people playing.  I can't guarantee it.
    edited March 2016
    It's like characters in an MMORPG were born into a caste system.  They can never rise above or go below their position in the world.  And they only have one primary role to play with slight variations depending on their class - adventurer/mercenary (quester/monster slayer or player killer in PVP).  With the possible secondary roles of crafter and gatherer.  That is all.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    edited March 2016
    [mod edit]

mmorpg's have created this problem, take ESO the game is made for role playing. Yet the wrong company is behind the game, they are lost at how they set the game up turned there backs on the role players and refused to help them. Megaserver was a bad idea they could of ended up with 2 or 3 role play servers that would of exploded with those players if they set realms up (yes like wow). 

They could have also had PvP realms so on and so on. Beautiful game, people that don't have a clue how to fix or run it. They could have made mucha dollars and this discussion wouldn't be happening. 
    Post edited by Vaross on
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

edited March 2016
    Brenics said:
    To answer your first paragraph, Trump is going to try and help Americans. Saying that and not getting too political, they are all damn crooks.

mmorpg's have created this problem, take ESO the game is made for role playing. Yet the wrong company is behind the game, they are lost at how they set the game up turned there backs on the role players and refused to help them. Megaserver was a bad idea they could of ended up with 2 or 3 role play servers that would of exploded with those players if they set realms up (yes like wow). 

They could have also had PvP realms so on and so on. Beautiful game, people that don't have a clue how to fix or run it. They could have made mucha dollars and this discussion wouldn't be happening. 

Yeah, I guess I'm asking too much, apparently.  I'll just give up, forget about it, and go away. :)

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

Trump is a hell of a lot better than the rest of the candidates and the only reason people hate him is that think he hates people.  Nope he just speaks the truth and people hate being bluntly who they are.  Just like the Republican establishment hate him because  monopolization of whole markets are being done killing our entire way of life.  

If you read up on history you will know that Theodore Roosevelt was portrayed just like Trump is.  Yet TR is the one who started the process of building the middle class by trust busting.  

Both Parties establishments are the problem.  Trump is showing that as much as you hate him he is right.   
    edited March 2016

edited March 2016

No, you know I'm not talking about single player game.  (I know sub games have cash shop, I played EQ2 in 2014.  Well, it had f2p, sub, and cash shop.)  I think I give up.  But just out of curiosity, what mmorpgs have you been enjoying lately?  I promise I won't ridicule any answers you give me.

GW2 and BDO and just bought a month in WoW. Dont worry, we all have personal opinions and preferences so anything you may think wont ridicule my choices because i enjoy the games. Although i took a break from GW2 since DBO came out and i sub to WoW like once or twice a year only.

I dont disagree with your main post about most mmos out there right now, but it is going to be very very difficult to have an mmorpg with the description you gave me in your first answer. Too costly to make, they will do everything to milk the playerbase to keep servers alive, and bad cash shops and f2p are the easies way to get the milking going at the cost of shortening the life of the game in most cases, or plainly ruin the experience in many others.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    What does the US economy have to do with you not liking the way the modern MMO is designed?