Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of economy does BDO have?

Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
I understand the PVE is rather simple for any kind of challenge. That's to bad but it's no different than any other modern MMO these days. What interest me is the non combat part of the game. What kind of economy does BDO have if you can't trade with other players? I'm a bit confused on this. How much game time can you get with non combat game play? Weeks? Months? Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    The pve is simple at early game, grinding is fairly easy, the difficult mobs exist for guild groups after level 50. Some of the end game bosses are quite difficult where you'll get one shot if you get hit, and you'll need quite a few people to do it. There are not many of them, but more will come after new content is released to the NA version. 

The economy is 2 fold, there's the npc economy where you sell trade goods to other towns with your workers or manually. Then there's the player market, which works similar to most other markets, you list an item for sale, another player can buy it and you can buy from them ect. The prices are pre-set though, there is a max price and a minimum price you can list items for, this makes it hard for 3rd party websites to sell with cash.

As far as non combat, there's Fishing, Boat crafting, Horse Breeding, Horse Capturing, Horse selling market, and Horse Racing. Then there's Alchemy, Cooking, Farming (like potatoes in a farm), Gathering, Hunting (with a riffle, not regular combat, and soon to have Whale Hunting), Processing (Breaking down material for other material), those are the "life skills". The crafting system is full of depth and the knowledge system, makes it even more unique. 

You could probably spend a year or two just crafting. Not to mention all the other skills. Also, it's worth noting that every thing has a leader board in this game. If you want your name up as the most exp earned, most money earned, highest level Fisherman, top Tradesmen, Top horse breeder, or racer. Whatever skill you want to do, there's probably a leader board for you to get on if you desire. There's tons of goals you can do without ever taking "pve grinding" seriously.
  • CodeFuzerCodeFuzer Member UncommonPosts: 105
    The biggest disappointment for me is no player to player trading (AH fees are huge). I love to craft but there is only so much I can craft for myself. Compared to EVE this games has no economy at all.
    DMKano said:
    The PvE is simple at level 50, at level 56 at level 60. 

The summoned end game bosses are EASY - they are on complete farm mode already.

The poster above must be new to the game - as anyone whose played RU or KR will tell you that PvE content is extremely easy in BD.

The hardest world boss in KR is on complete /faceroll farm mode already. If you are looking for challenging PvE fights and mechanics - this is not the right game for you.

The economy is pretty controlled - in terms of Auction House the min/max prices are set so you can't undercut or do any kind of market manipulation like you can in other games.

In terms of NPC economy - it's basically craft sunflower crates and sell them to other regions for max profits - this is literally what 90% of the playerbase is doing to make money via trades. Sunflowers is where it's at.

No player to player trading - so it's every player for himself as far as gear and crafting goes.

That pretty much sums it up.

How much game time can a player spend doing non-combat stuff - that's HIGHLY dependent on the player - some folks can literally do one thing for 10 years - a guildy of mine only does AH bidding - buying low, selling high - he never crafts never does any combat - just plays the auction house in games. (obviously he is not playing Black Desert for obvious reasons)

So it's pretty hard to answer - as I am sure someobody could be like planting sunflowers in BD for 10 years an never be bored - there are people like that you know.
    DMKano you obviously don't know about one shot mechanics in this game, and you obviously have never played the KR version. Please, dude there are both summoned bosses which are easy, and world bosses which are hard. Don't call people out when you have no clue what you're talking about. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    basically , there is no economy in BDO .............end/
    Scorchien said:
    basically , there is no economy in BDO .............end/
    As compared to what? 
    as compared to Economy ...  there isnt one as there is no trading between players.. its ...well neutered , fits it...
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    The PvE in BDO is laughably easy, at least so far (mid 20's). Packs of reds are nothing, I go after purples to get any challenge at all.

In an effort to stop gold sellers, there is no economy. I usually like to be a guild's crafter, like a potion maker, or the guild's jewelry maker. Forget all that. There also is no player-driven economy, all sale prices on the AH are controlled.

And the chat is filled with gold seller spam anyway.  They're making a big mistake IMO.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608
    olepi said:
    The PvE in BDO is laughably easy, at least so far (mid 20's). Packs of reds are nothing, I go after purples to get any challenge at all.

In an effort to stop gold sellers, there is no economy. I usually like to be a guild's crafter, like a potion maker, or the guild's jewelry maker. Forget all that. There also is no player-driven economy, all sale prices on the AH are controlled.

And the chat is filled with gold seller spam anyway.  They're making a big mistake IMO.
    fight higher level mobs. im always 3-4 levels underlevel. gives a challenge. 
    olepi said:

Those "gold sellers" are just trying to steal accounts now. They aren't actually able to give anything to players anymore. They will go away, I'm hoping for an anti spam system soon enough.

Scorchien said:
    as compared to Economy ...  there isnt one as there is no trading between players.. its ...well neutered , fits it...
    That's funny you see economy as trading, and not selling. There's a market, you can buy from your friends, you just can't rip them off and get it for free. That's fine with me, it means you need to play to have what you want. 
    edited March 2016
    Realizer said:
    olepi said:

Those "gold sellers" are just trying to steal accounts now. They aren't actually able to give anything to players anymore. They will go away, I'm hoping for an anti spam system soon enough.

Scorchien said:
    That's funny you see economy as trading, and not selling. There's a market, you can buy from your friends, you just can't rip them off and get it for free. That's fine with me, it means you need to play to have what you want. 
    Thats funny , i see economy as what it is ..... NOT some Kr neutered version ...

An economy (Greek οίκος – "household" and νέμoμαι – "manage") is an area of the production, distribution or trade, and consumption of goods and services by different agents in a given geographical location. The economic agents can be individuals, businesses, organizations, or governments. Transactions occur when two parties agree to the value or price of the transacted good or service, commonly expressed in a certain currency.

Place close attention to the second sentence............now as we have No transactions in BDO(because no 2 parties ever agree on a price ) we have no Economy ... we have a neutered ,water down ,disposal unit of indivIdually produced goods that spits out silver to the indIvidual....
    Post edited by Scorchien on
    edited March 2016
    Scorchien said:
    Realizer said:
    olepi said:

Scorchien said:
    Thats funny , i see economy as what it is ..... not  some Kr neutered version ...

An economy (Greek οίκος – "household" and νέμoμαι – "manage") is an area of the production, distribution or trade, and consumption of goods and services by different agents in a given geographical location. The economic agents can be individuals, businesses, organizations, or governments. Transactions occur when two parties agree to the value or price of the transacted good or service, commonly expressed in a certain currency.

Place close attention to the second sentence............now as we have No transactions in BDO(because no 2 parties ever agree on a price ) we have no Economy ... we have a neutered ,water down ,disposal unit of indivdually produced goods that spits out silver to the indvidual....
    hmm dbl post .. Delee Mod, plz, thx you
    Post edited by Scorchien on
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Realizer said:
    olepi said:

Scorchien said:
    Thats funny , i see economy as what it is ..... not  some Kr neutered version ...

Place close attention to the second sentence............now as we have No transactions in BDO(because no 2 parties ever agree on a price ) we have no Economy ... we have a neutered ,water down ,disposal unit of indivdually produced goods that spits out silver to the indvidual....
    There's a marketplace. IE auction house.  There's an economy.  You're wrong.  Next?
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Realizer said:
    olepi said:

Scorchien said:

There's a marketplace. IE auction house.  There's an economy.  You're wrong.  Next?
       I see that reading comp escapes you , We already established that there is no Economy , the definition is right there for you to read ...  

Now :   Auction ...Also called public sale. a publicly held sale at which property or goods are sold to the highest bidder

we also see that there is no Auctions in BDO , so where is this Economy ....   You're wrong . Next?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited March 2016
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Realizer said:
    olepi said:

Scorchien said:

I see that reading comp escapes you , We already established that there is no Economy , the definition is right there for you to read ...  

Now :   Auction ...Also called public sale. a publicly held sale at which property or goods are sold to the highest bidder

we also see that there is no Auctions in BDO , so where is this Economy ....   You're wrong . Next?
    [mod edit]

Where does it say that the second party has to be standing next to you instead of just being some unknown person that buys it through the marketplace?

Or for that matter where does it say that in a computer game that 2nd party can't be a computer controlled NPC?

[mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

DMKano said:

pingo said:
    olepi said:

fight higher level mobs. im always 3-4 levels underlevel. gives a challenge. 

With Taritas set + accuracy accessories I was doing catfish at 43.

People go for argonian, due to misunderstanding that cast/attk speed means diddly if you are not landing hits.

Leveling up vs purples is all about accuracy. Once you get mobs to be your level or less - switch to a speed set. 
    Yeah I agree. A lot of people in this game really seem to underestimate accuracy and overestimate AP.

They also seem to miss the point of leveling Yuria weapons: you're doing it for the PVP not PVE even if it is useful for some pockets of human mobs you run into while leveling here and there.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Realizer said:
    olepi said:

Scorchien said:

Are you really so dense that you think a dictionary definition of economy is a trump card of some sort?

Where does it say that the second party has to be standing next to you instead of just being some unknown person that buys it through the marketplace?

Or for that matter where does it say that in a computer game that 2nd party can't be a computer controlled NPC?

You should leave logic gymnastics to a logic gymnast. That certainly isn't you.
    Noone said anyhting about standing next to ... you interjected that , (to try and support your weak stance)

But the point is , Transactions occur when two parties agree to the value or price of the transacted good or service..

This isnt happening ...is it ...

And as far as 2nd party being an npc ... ohh yes that is economy(lol wtf) , in every other MMO we call it trash loot , so if thats what your BDO economy is then you have fun with that ...but that is not a player driven economy at all ..

And if you dont want to use defintions , then dont all it an Economy , we will need to come up with anew name for BDOs system ....   maybe .... TrashLoot to Silver slot machine
    edited March 2016
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Realizer said:
    olepi said:

Scorchien said:

Are you really so dense that you think a dictionary definition of economy is a trump card of some sort?

Noone said anyhting about standing next to ... you interjected that , (to try and support your weak stance)

But the point is , Transactions occur when two parties agree to the value or price of the transacted good or service..

And as far as 2nd party being an npc ... ohh yes that is economy(lol wtf) , in every other MMO we call it trash loot , so if thats what your BDO economy is then you have fun with that ...but that is not a player driven economy at all ..

And if you dont want to use defintions , then dont all it an Economy , we will need to come up with anew name for BDOs system ....   maybe .... TrashLoot to Silver slot machine
    Do you even play this or are you just feebly theorizing out your rear end?

The NPC trading part of the game means you buy low in one part of the world from the trader NPCs and transport the goods to where you can sell them high... or grow or craft your own stuff and do likewise.

I guess the trading part of Elite Dangerous which works in a similar manner is also not an economic simulator according to your literal minded definition?

Selling high-end drops to other players or high-demand crafted goods through the marketplace also doesn't count because there are economic price controls? I suppose you'll next be telling us that the seller didn't agree to sell for the known controlled price and the buyer likewise.

Are you one of those right wing wackos who believes an economy with controls is not an economy?

You're a funny guy.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

well thx for making my point clear .. There is No Player Economy in BDO
      And the buyers and sellers have no choice but to accept those prices .. this is not an Economy ...
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Realizer said:
    olepi said:

Scorchien said:

Of course there is an economy, you can buy and sell goods to players on the auction house or buy/sell trade goods to npcs- both of which are influenced by supply/demand. 

The AH has variable min/max price limits on goods sold, but in many ways the system is actually more like a real world market than most mmos; you'll notice that there is actually quite a lot of regulation in the real world, even in the West. 

So what is the economy like? That's a pretty broad question, at a simple level its an mmo economy that protects players from getting ripped off, gaming the system, or monopolizing the market (note that our markets are also regulated to prevent these things). I think @Realizer explained the two facets of the game's economy well. 

As to how long you can expect to enjoy the non-combat systems of the game, I think that would depend mainly on how much you liked the non-combat activities. Certainly a huge part of the game, and imo what basically differentiates BDO from most other mmos, is its non-combat gameplay. I find it quite strategic, as you end up kind of building this mini-economic empire which requires you to think about how to allocate resources, what you want to focus on, what areas you need to unlock and invest in, how to maintain your workers, transport, etc. And that's really just the tip of the ice-berg.

So basically if you enjoy those things, then you can potentially spend a lot of time on it. Probably if you play 12 hours a day you will get sick of it, but surely there is months worth of fun there if you aren't going at it night and day. I also find that when I do get sick of doing something, there is so much else to do that I can just change tack and have fun.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Scorchien said:
      And the buyers and sellers have no choice but to accept those prices .. this is not an Economy ...
    Actually it is an economy. It's true that sellers can't demand any price but they do have some leeway in that they can ask for the "lower price" or they can demand up to the "higher price".

By putting their items on the auction house they are agreeing to the terms.

Besides "price controls" is not a new thing and has been used for hundreds of years. It's not always agreed that it is the best thing but that doesn't mitigate that it's part of an economy.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    The economy in BDO is selling items to NPC's and to the auction house, and prices are controlled. There is no direct player trading. As for how much playtime you can get out of the non-combat aspects of BDO, I'd say there's at least a months worth of content, if you take your time and enjoy the world. 
  • Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Sovrath said:

Not like they have a choice.    Sell to an NPC for cents,...or put on the AH with a Huge fee and a pathetic 'window' of low/high'  forced price.

People here know what we mean by economy, c'mon.  Stop dancing.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Tabloid42 said:
    Sovrath said:

Not like they have a choice.    Sell to an NPC for cents,...or put on the AH with a Huge fee and a pathetic 'window' of low/high'  forced price.

That doesn't change that "that's how the economy" is set up.

As I mentioned, having price controls is nothing new and goes wayyyyy back. 

Apparently Economists don't like it because they claim that it creates shortages as many people buy at the lower price and that it make many people have to wait until the items become available again.

However, having sellers create any price they want still means that "someone" is not going to be able to buy the item until the prices lower. 

So in the end there are still going to be people who have the item and still going to be people who don't have. Not sure why one is better than the other. 

But that still doesn't change that is "an economy". It's just not one that many people like.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited March 2016
    Sovrath said:
    Scorchien said:
    Actually it is an economy. It's true that sellers can't demand any price but they do have some leeway in that they can ask for the "lower price" or they can demand up to the "higher price".

Besides "price controls" is not a new thing and has been used for hundreds of years. It's not always agreed that it is the best thing but that doesn't mitigate that it's part of an economy.
    Exactly.

The BDO economic system is a Command Economy with all of its advantages and disadvantages. It's a type that is very different from the Market Economy, or rather Mixed Economies since there is always some element of Command mixed in, that we're all much more familiar with in Western Democracies.

There aren't any pure Market Economies with zero government control anywhere. Pure laissez-faire capitalism doesn't exist -- it's a theoretical construct. The market economies of Western countries differ from each other mostly just in the degree of government control or command.

But regardless, calling other economic systems, even the types we hate, "non-economies" is ludicrous.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Tabloid42 said:

Actually no, they don't seem to if this thread is any evidence.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED