Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most gamers Not Interested in VR in 2016?

Comments

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    It's no secret that the industry is pushing this technology hardcore, but myself and pretty much everyone I game with are laughing at the ridiculous prices.

They're not gonna get that number much above 15% if they can't reign in their greed by about $200 bucks at least.
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Not really interested in this VR. Once it becomes VR where you're actually in that world and can use other senses, then sure, but this iteration of it? not a chance.

Although I do hope it leads to true VR.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited March 2016
    The tech is new and expensive as sh*t.  give it a few years with better games, hardware support and more accessible specs to run it.  they will come.
    This, I really want VR to play some space games like ED BUT the price is just too high right now plus add in the tech is far from mature.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited March 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    It's no secret that the industry is pushing this technology hardcore, but myself and pretty much everyone I game with are laughing at the ridiculous prices.

They're not gonna get that number much above 15% if they can't reign in their greed by about $200 bucks at least.
    and I keep saying my last monitor costed me $700 and doesnt provide even remotely near the experience that VR does.

but we shall see.

Thus far it seems like companies are very hard core about it, people on my facebook who are not gamers and not techy heads have started to talk about it. its not even out yet...the wave is strong at this point and its going to take something MAJOR to put it out. all those people that have tried it at trade shows over the  years? all the postive reviews?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    There is nothing in this life that will make me hop on a roller coaster with my eyes covered.

I wonder how many people will die horribly when Six Flags opens that to the public.

There is nothing in this life that will make me hop on a roller coaster with my eyes covered.

I wonder how many people will die horribly when Six Flags opens that to the public.
    that is actually the most reasonable thing I have heard today.

• RhoDawgRhoDawg Member UncommonPosts: 34
    For those of you calling it a gimmick and have never tried it...I urge you to try it. I have had tons (ok like 6) of friends who had no interest in it or had never really heard of the oculus or vive tried my DK2 and all if them said something to the effect "Wow this is amazing." Are all of them sold on the tech enough to buy it at first round? No, but all of them definitely agree there is a future in it

Also...when "you" say...15% of gamers? What does that mean?...There was a study done a few years back that said there are about 1.2 billion "gamers" worldwide...15% of the people the surveyed? Does that translate to evereyone? If so that would mean a measly 180 million are interested. North america has ~$200million gamers...again 15% of that is 30million, thats a pretty good market.....We could all throw numbers around but I would take those numbers it with a grain of salt, until we get some better numbers and Oculus/Vive/PS4 release their sales numbers. The fact that they are having problems keeping production up with demand is a good sign.

Prices have a lot to do with interest as well...many lost interest once the price tags were about $500 :
    Yes pretty much over priced in my opinion, but what emerging technology was not when first released?
    Lets hope in the next year we have way better prices!!! And that with the evolution of the technology should drive the interest up greatly.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    SEANMCAD said:

In theory it sounds exciting, but i rather seat on a recliner and have a blast while being safe.

edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

In theory it sounds exciting, but i rather seat on a recliner and have a blast while being safe.
    agreed. I mean I might try it once but I see how it would be really unsafe. I bet they get pinged for it in fact.
    even if one of those headsets fly off and hit somone in the head!

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229
    edited March 2016
    Ever watch Steve Martin in The Jerk?  VR is going to be an "optigrab" moment....Since they will be exploiting your visual cortex and your eyes expect to get headaches and new glasses...Also expect a lot of lawsuits...
    lokiboard said:
    Ever watch Steve Martin in The Jerk?  VR is going to be an "optigrab" moment....Since they will be exploiting your visual cortex and your eyes expect to get headaches and new glasses...Also expect a lot of lawsuits...
    not anymore then a standard monitor really

but i guess we shall see

• AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Its kind of expensive and well i would look awful with that on my face.
    Agnhar said:
    Its kind of expensive and well i would look awful with that on my face.
    yeah but playing American Truck Simulator..I mean Elder Scrolls would be.....interesting?

ha!

(p.s. I paid $700 for my last PC monitor, $800 for the one before that)

• jozephjozeph Member UncommonPosts: 47
    15% of gamers already planning on buying such expensive devices, before we know how fun existing games will be when using a VR helmet. That's an enormous amount of people!

I'm exited about VR. But I'll wait to for reviews and maybe for the second generation when there are to many flaws left or current games turn out not to be suitable.
    edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    I am going to wait several years before I get my VR kit.

I do not care that much about the price which is currently quite high. For me, it is more about lack of quality games I could use it for. Also, the tech is still new and I expect its significant improvement in the upcoming years.
    I think your second point is a good one. games though..oh my god....so many, so many good ones too. 

but I can blame anyone for wanting to wait at least 12 months after offical release before thinking about it.
    Do you have some favorite VR games? If so, what would be top 3?
    Elite Dangerous
    Eve Valkyrie I am looking forward to but haven't played.
    Alone in the Rift was amazing but more of a demo then a game 
    oh and there was a game that was sea diving but I forget the name I have never in my life had more of a jump scare then in that game

there are 100 games planned this year and already 176 games in existence that support VR. At this stage its a bit of a mess going thru them because some are great, some are not, some are huge to download, some require different settings, so after a few nights of that I decided to wait.

why do you ask?

check out this list of the more 'proffesional' ones annouced
    https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/introducing-30-games-coming-to-oculus-on-march-28/

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I am going to wait several years before I get my VR kit.

I do not care that much about the price which is currently quite high. For me, it is more about lack of quality games I could use it for. Also, the tech is still new and I expect its significant improvement in the upcoming years.
    I think your second point is a good one. games though..oh my god....so many, so many good ones too. 

but I can blame anyone for wanting to wait at least 12 months after offical release before thinking about it.
    Do you have some favorite VR games? If so, what would be top 3?
    Elite Dangerous
    Eve Valkyrie I am looking forward to but haven't played.
    Alone in the Rift was amazing but more of a demo then a game 
    oh and there was a game that was sea diving but I forget the name I have never in my life had more of a jump scare then in that game

there are 100 games planned this year and already 176 games in existence that support VR. At this stage its a bit of a mess going thru them because some are great, some are not, some are huge to download, some require different settings, so after a few nights of that I decided to wait.

why do you ask?

check out this list of the more 'proffesional' ones annouced
    https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/introducing-30-games-coming-to-oculus-on-march-28/

I am just curious. Havent tried any VR games myself yet. It is likely I will get the kit once there is something really interesting to play on it. ED and Eve could be great, but not enough for me personally to buy the VR yet. Am looking forward to some nice RPGs.

Will check your link too.
    yeah my 'why do you ask' was a stupid question now that I read the re-read the thread.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    RhoDawg said:
    For those of you calling it a gimmick and have never tried it...I urge you to try it. I have had tons (ok like 6) of friends who had no interest in it or had never really heard of the oculus or vive tried my DK2 and all if them said something to the effect "Wow this is amazing." Are all of them sold on the tech enough to buy it at first round? No, but all of them definitely agree there is a future in it

Also...when "you" say...15% of gamers? What does that mean?...There was a study done a few years back that said there are about 1.2 billion "gamers" worldwide...15% of the people the surveyed? Does that translate to evereyone? If so that would mean a measly 180 million are interested. North america has ~$200million gamers...again 15% of that is 30million, thats a pretty good market.....We could all throw numbers around but I would take those numbers it with a grain of salt, until we get some better numbers and Oculus/Vive/PS4 release their sales numbers. The fact that they are having problems keeping production up with demand is a good sign.

Prices have a lot to do with interest as well...many lost interest once the price tags were about $500 :
    Yes pretty much over priced in my opinion, but what emerging technology was not when first released?
    Lets hope in the next year we have way better prices!!! And that with the evolution of the technology should drive the interest up greatly.

To me it is but worse than that is the use of the term VR.  Far too limited to call it that.  
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 said:
    RhoDawg said:

To me it is but worse than that is the use of the term VR.  Far too limited to call it that.  
    the entire industry of 'VR' would be better if we called it...'snugglebunny'? maybe?...

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    That's really not telling.  On the this forum, it's become pretty obvious that people are just waiting for a 2nd or 3rd gen device.  Not because they're not interesting in the technology, but they want it to come down in price and mature a bit.

I self identify as a monkey.

mgilbrtsn said:
    That's really not telling.  On the this forum, it's become pretty obvious that people are just waiting for a 2nd or 3rd gen device.  Not because they're not interesting in the technology, but they want it to come down in price and mature a bit.
    I think that is a very well thought out and accurate statement personally. other than the cost part.

I mean dont get me wrong I know people see the price and think its too much and feel its too much, they just dont understand what they are getting for that price AND they are not consciously aware of how much they currently spend on things like video cards, monitors etc. I think what I am saying is that the price is not inherently high, the peoples perception of the price is.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    ^ Gamers are not innovators because they won't blindly latch on to 80-90s rehashed fad tech. Hilarious.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    ^ Gamers are not innovators because they won't blindly latch on to 80-90s rehashed fad tech. Hilarious.

yeah pretty much...most gamers in the 2000's are just republicans. times have changed

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    It's not about the system, it's about the games. Until a ground breaking VR game is created it will never be more then a doorstop. It's the same way with consoles.
    It's not about the system, it's about the games. Until a ground breaking VR game is created it will never be more then a doorstop. It's the same way with consoles.
    so yeah 

currently there is 176 games, 100 in the works for this year, I have played Elite Dangerous in VR and its friggin awesome although the DK kits a little limiting in resolution, minecraft and I think guitar hero.

dont worry, they are coming  

• DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I'm as interested in this decades VR technology as I am in this decades 3D movies/blu-Rays, curved telivisions and PSMove peripherals

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!