Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of returning.

slowpoke68slowpoke68 Member UncommonPosts: 545
Haven't played in a few years.  Think I quite after finishing the Riders of Rohan expansion.  Just wondering how the game is doing.  I read about the server merges.

I'm wondering if people actually do group content at all?

I really like this game, but outside of doing the Barrows at around level 20 or so I don't remember grouping for almost anything.

Thanks much.

Comments

• slowpoke68slowpoke68 Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Can't figure out how to edit my post.  Also wondering about difficulty.  Always remembered it being very easy.  Is that the same also?
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,744
    Group content is still there, and there's frequent grouping - at the end, mostly. Whilst leveling it really is difficult to find a group, no change on that, on the contrary... with putting more xp in, the leveling is faster and more content players can skip, and with the option to solo most of the group content (either with the IG buff, or by going back when you're 10 levels above), gathering an on-level group for some fun is very difficult. Unless you start from scratch with some friends, or have helpful friends / kinmates with lowbie alts.

Difficulty was discussed a couple times already :wink:  in short, it's easier now than it was in the past (and post-Rohan, with the trait trees, you'll see it's easier now than you remember from Rohan times), but that applies every old MMOs as well, so it's more like a trend than LotRO's fault alone. Games become easier over time...
    Also, with the more xp in the game, if you don't use the turtle pebble (xp disabler item), you will over-level the content all the time, thus making the game even more easier... But if you keep yourself on-level, or one level below your current content, it's not faceroll-easy (though still not difficult or hard). There are kinships who level characters with the xp-disabler and keeping 5 levels below the content, as I've heard it's a fun experience.
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 448
    Server merge: yeap, happened. Several servers closed population migrated to others. More people, more fun...and even more nice to meet folks from old server (for me - Withywindle).
    Group content: does exist, earlier it was Anorien instances. Now you can meet Barrows or some lonely sould in Garth Agarwen, some Pelagir/Minas Tirith group looking for that specific member of fellowship. Sambrog isn't farmed, for marks/medaillions farming there are other instances.
    Difficulty is something tricky. Overall, if you master you class, you should have almost no problem with monsters. Po_gg correctly mentioned: you will overgrow any region, there is inflation of experience points. However, we have some forced fellowship content, if you do it on level (Angmar) or even difficult above level (Warbands, Roving Threats).

I think, Lotro is worth to return to.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,442
    I've been a LOTRO lifer since 2008 and continue to play the game albeit not as much as I used to. That said, I only recommend the game to people who are Tolkine/Lord of the Rings fans.  If that does not interest you I would say you could find better games elsewhere. I'm a lifer and sitting on a ton of Turbine points;however, if you are f2p, as are my friends, it can be a very restrictive and frustrating game.  It feels the deeper you get in to the game the more the cash shop becokons you. 

There is still group content and I do see PUGS forming in world chat.  Guilds also continue to be strong. Despite the age of the game, I believe it has held up. I suppose you like the art style or you dont, similar to WoW.  

• slowpoke68slowpoke68 Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Thanks for the thoughtful replies.  I really enjoyed my time in LOTRO and may well give it another go.  
  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 234
    I'm actually thinking of returning to the game myself. I came back to LOTRO last summer after being away from the game since 2011. Of course, just when I return they announce server mergers/closures and mine(Windfola) ended up being one of them. So I only played for about a month before stopping. I figured I'd wait awhile before deciding which server to move to. Now I'm getting that itch to play the game again so I moved my toons to Crickhollow and we'll see how it goes.
    An addition about the community, there was a nice article / Frelorn interview a couple days ago (a bit too nice, might I add... :wink: but maybe I just spent way too much time in TSW and I see conspiracies everywhere)
    http://indievator.com/2016/03/24/most-positive-mmo-community/

And also something for the fun / crazy side: a silly dwarf, maybe to counter his phobia of open water, took the chance U18 will provide with the new area, and swam all the way from Lórien to the sea along the Anduin. It's not a smooth and flawless journey at the moment, but maybe when it goes live, Turbine will fix the problematic spots... :wink:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?605322-CRAZY-The-great-swim-from-Lothlorien-to-the-sea-%28VIDEO%29
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I tried to get back into it, but it just feels tired.  Can't explain it, but for me, it hasn't aged very well.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I am quite curious about the post-Rohan stuff,...

but everytime I come back in and get more 'Mounted Combat' quests,..I get a bit turned off,.

I do not enjoy that type of play and some Epic storyline Book quests need them. 

How do the post-Rohan expansions fare?  Are there alot of Mounted combat stuff still?

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    I just returned since 2012.  Having a blast!  By far the most immersive mmo out atm.  I am not a high level either!  Very fun!
    Glad you like your decision so far :wink:

Meantime, U18 maintenance is today. Level cap raise, a new 2-part zone, 3 new instances in a story cluster, a new raid (later, not today), some fixes and patches (BEP changes, champs can finally block with 2H, etc)
    Front (ad :wink: ) page: https://www.lotro.com/en/u18
    Dev diary behind the instances: https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/making-battle  (raid will arrive with U18.2)
    Detailed patch notes: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?608442-Update-18-Release-Notes
  • ElivoElivo Member UncommonPosts: 71
    I was also looking into coming back to this game, one question i had, if you buy the most recent expansion, helms deep i think it is, do you get all the previous ones along with it or no? I looked on the website and it doesnt really say weather you do or not.  

They do have an expansion bundle but it didnt look like it included the most recent one.
  • cormachcormach Member UncommonPosts: 92
    You only get Helm's Deep I believe. You would have to buy the other expansions to get them.
    That's correct, Helm's Deep only unlocks that and the Big battles. The expansion bundle (Quad-pack) doesn't have HD included, because the pack was released alongside HD launch, for those who are returning, so it has all the expansions before HD.
    Luckily both are frequently (as in 3-4 times a year) on sale, Quad-pack used to be around 20 bucks, HD was maybe 15 at its lowest, those are quite friendly prices for all the expansions :wink:
    Or, you can buy them in-game too, sales are more frequent there, though usually just 30% off. If you get your Turbine Points from playing (a.k.a. grind :wink: ) you get the expansions for free...
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Can't figure out how to edit my post.
    Unlike editing a normal posting, when you open a new topic the small gear to edit is here:

Doesn't make much sense, but then many things with these forums don't make sense.

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Spring festival has just started. The mount looks pretty nice.

And Turbine needs to stop selling expansion packs individually, it's hard to justify it given they're all old and they no longer make them.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,659
    I went back for a bit and it was really fun, I just didn't have the time to dedicate to multiple MMORPG's so I didn't stick with it. There was a lot of people, and I got into a really nice Kinship who helped me relearn the ropes, all within my first hour being back. The game has one of the best communities I have ever seen, but the gameplay does feel a bit dated if you aren't into that type of thing anymore.
    edited June 2016
    The game has one of the best communities I have ever seen, but the gameplay does feel a bit dated if you aren't into that type of thing anymore.
    Yep, I too used to say all the time it has the best community - with TSW's as a close second :wink:
    Athisar said:
    Spring festival has just started. The mount looks pretty nice.
    Dunno, looks way too "flower power"-ish to me :lol:  But at least them hobbits left the Maze alone this time, so we don't have to learn a new layout. And the new festival clothes are dandy. Spring dandy (funny title...)

edit since then there's even a thread about the flowery horse :lol:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?629993-Springfest-Steed
    Post edited by Po_gg on
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Tabloid42 said:
    I am quite curious about the post-Rohan stuff,...

but everytime I come back in and get more 'Mounted Combat' quests,..I get a bit turned off,.

I do not enjoy that type of play and some Epic storyline Book quests need them. 

How do the post-Rohan expansions fare?  Are there alot of Mounted combat stuff still?

About .... none. Although I cannot talk about the most recent update since I haven't played in three or four months. Biggest use of mounts is to get around quickly in the expanses - when hunting down world bosses etc.

You can skip any RoR mounted quests as well and do them on foot later if you wish - and you will want to finish the RoR quest chains. 
  • Tireman7236Tireman7236 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I have recently taken a break from my current gaming genre(WoT/WoWS). I was looking to find that game that had the feel that Lotro had when I started playing way back just right after launch. I honestly remember spending 12-16 hour game sessions during Angmar days. I did buy moria expansion but left not long after. I never really got the hang of the LI system and just figured the learning curve was too steep to pick up again. I was on the Elindilmir server if it even is around anymore. If there is a group still active on that server I'm re downloading now and maybe we can get together. I did come back a couple years ago for a free weekend thing and I honestly didn't see 20 people all weekend around Bree or Rivendell or anyplace else I was familiar with.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    It seemed overwhelming to me as well when I restarted since I was staring at 4 bars of skills etc.  It didn't take long to figure it out.  The population seems pretty good on Laurelin and Landroval.  Not sure a bout the others.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I have recently taken a break from my current gaming genre(WoT/WoWS). I was looking to find that game that had the feel that Lotro had when I started playing way back just right after launch. I honestly remember spending 12-16 hour game sessions during Angmar days. I did buy moria expansion but left not long after. I never really got the hang of the LI system and just figured the learning curve was too steep to pick up again. I was on the Elindilmir server if it even is around anymore. If there is a group still active on that server I'm re downloading now and maybe we can get together. I did come back a couple years ago for a free weekend thing and I honestly didn't see 20 people all weekend around Bree or Rivendell or anyplace else I was familiar with.
    After the server merges last Christmas - 5 US, 5EU - there were lots more people around (one server was even locked to new players) and Bree was much, much busier.

Pretty sure Elindilmir was not one of the 10 that had the most people left so you will be given an option to transfer your characters to another server. Some people created new characters on possible servers to listen to chat / ask questions etc. "anyone from xxx some years back etc.". 

As far as LIs go pretty much ignore until you get to at least level 100. You do the LI quest at (44-46 or 50) but then just swap it out as you get a more powerful LI until you get to 100. At that point you read up on them. They are very powerful. The grind was reduced to something that did give a sense of progression - was/is still serious though.
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    My wife and I have a VIP account and have everything on our accounts . That said we remade chars as it was overwhelming. We love it and play it 2-3 times a week. Great game.
    edited July 2016
    gervaise1 said:
    [...]I was on the Elindilmir server if it even is around anymore. If there is a group still active on that server I'm re downloading now and maybe we can get together. I did come back a couple years ago for a free weekend thing and I honestly didn't see 20 people all weekend around Bree or Rivendell or anyplace else I was familiar with.
    Pretty sure Elindilmir was not one of the 10 that had the most people left so you will be given an option to transfer your characters to another server.
    Yep, it's gone unfortunately. Based on the stats it was among the lower pop servers, maybe that's why you saw only a couple peeps around, back then.
    The servers Turbine let go were closed from login a couple months ago, so after the download you should pick a new home and transfer the characters there (one home to rule them all is not mandatory of course, you can scatter your characters among the 5 US servers, it you like :wink: All servers are fairly crowded, you will bump into other players much more often than years ago).

I'm not very familiar with the US side, but as I've heard Elendilmir was the unofficial Oceanic server, so if your gametime is closer to those times, maybe you should consider moving to Arkenstone, there was a vote on the forum and Elendimir folks chose that one as the new unofficial Oceanic, and moved there.
  • FerretrodeoFerretrodeo Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I started in Beta and left after a year. I've been thinking about starting back up also. I'm not into the PvP gaming (I don't have the time to get an uber character) and I like to casually play. I've been researching games the past few months and nothing new seems right for me. Maybe I'll see you in game!