Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Doesn't Sony Want Me To See?

SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

Since I'm not a current subscriber, I know I can't post on the SWG forums, but tell me why I can't read any original post on them. I can see the responses, but I am blocked from seeing the original post. Anyone else seeing this? How am I supposed to see if the game's worth trying again if I can't read what's happening? Is there something you're wanting to stay hidden, Sony?

I've played this game on and off for the past year and a half and always considered it one of the best games, despite its flaws. That said, I am very sceptical of the sweeping changes that have been made to the game and, the way it's looking, I will likely never pick it up again. It was bad enough when I finally bought "Jump To Lightspeed" mere days before "Rage of the Wookiees" announced and Sony slapped standing players and retail merchants in the face by offering a paltry $5.00 discount for the Expansion download. Retail outlets are already decreasing the amount of inventory for PC games, since the console is a more lucrative market. It's sad to see stores displaying copies of "Jump To Lightspeed" alongside "Total Experience". It's a fair bet that the older Expansion will be collecting dust a long time.

Still, I was almost willing to give it another shot when I read on these forums about the Publish 19 issues. Being a Master Creature Handler/Ranger/Pikeman, my game would have been over with Publish 19, had I still been a subscriber.

Damned Shame, is what it is.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
"People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

Comments

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

I keep up with the Kettemoor forum mostly and just checked. I'm not sure what you mean by 'original posts'.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

That's what I'm wondering, Ico. I can read every response post, but the original post is never displayed. The only way I can see the first post is if someone quotes it in a response. I was able to read them fine until the CU.

Edited to add:
    That's one mystery solved, thanks to you, Ico. Sony's sites don't like my browser (I use Opera). Weird incompatability glitch. When I tried with Internet Explorer, I could see the first posts just fine. Is that strange or what?::::05::

Thanks for your help.

Now, can you make Creature Handlers a viable profession?::::39::

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

There were some problems with FireFox not too long ago as well.
    Stupid Open Source browsers!!! /flail

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• gunnythokgunnythok Member Posts: 268

Wouldn't be wise to dis Unix/Linux programs.  Unix/Linux users are the reason why we don't get shafted by the major computer component companies.  When a Windows user installs some hardware and it's drivers, they don't typically know for certain the specs on the hardware their running are what the box says.  A Linux user installs that hardware and makes drivers set to run that hardware according to what the box specs say it can do.  When somthing doesn't work because that hardware is lacking in a significant way from what the box specs say they tend to let the word out. 

I'm not flaming you, I'm just trying to keep the awareness level up.

• Originally posted by LordDraekon

Since I'm not a current subscriber, I know I can't post on the SWG forums,

SWG long ago posted about this. It costs them $$$$ to pay for forum bandwidth, storage, and to pay the moderators to wade through the thousands of posts. Allowing every non-playing player to post defeates the purpose of having a place paying players can post about the game.

but tell me why I can't read any original post on them. I can see the responses, but I am blocked from seeing the original post. Anyone else seeing this? How am I supposed to see if the game's worth trying again if I can't read what's happening?

First, SWG has a free trial. So if you really want to see if the game is worth trying what is stopping you from playing the free trial? SWG has also had many past free trials. A certain major computer magazine even had SWG and the SE all on one DVD for free!

Second, at station.com you must sign up for a free station account. This is different than registering to play a game (putting in the CD key, etc...).

Third, there are tons of gamer forums dedicated to SWG where you will find pros and cons about SWG (and any other MMORPG). Here at MMORPG.com and another major site is Stratics.com

Is there something you're wanting to stay hidden, Sony?

How could SONY hide what is on their forums? There are roughly 200 THOUSAND SWG players. IF Sony were hiding something I am very sure some of those 200 THOUSAND players would notice LOL!

I've played this game on and off for the past year and a half and always considered it one of the best games, despite its flaws. That said, I am very sceptical of the sweeping changes that have been made to the game and, the way it's looking,

IMHO you should wait 3 to 4 more months before re-checking SWG again. By then the expansions, and CU will have settled down more.

I will likely never pick it up again. It was bad enough when I finally bought "Jump To Lightspeed" mere days before "Rage of the Wookiees" announced and Sony slapped standing players and retail merchants in the face by offering a paltry $5.00 discount for the Expansion download.

Shop at another store. Also go to magazine stores and browse the computer magazines. You could have gotten SWG + the SE for free! Next, 5 bucks is not much money. Many gamers play more than 1 MMORPG. And next, many major MMORPGs charge full price for a new expansion. And still next, SWG now has a pack that includes SWG+SE+RoW all in one.

Retail outlets are already decreasing the amount of inventory for PC games, since the console is a more lucrative market.

It depends what store you shop at. Is the console more lucrative than the PC? NO. Not even close. Consoles are used exclusivly in homes. PC's are in homes, schools, college classrooms, workplaces, and PC Bangs.

It's sad to see stores displaying copies of "Jump To Lightspeed" alongside "Total Experience". It's a fair bet that the older Expansion will be collecting dust a long time.

It is the store management decision on how to sell their items. SWG is still a successful MMORPG.

Still, I was almost willing to give it another shot when I read on these forums about the Publish 19 issues. Being a Master Creature Handler/Ranger/Pikeman, my game would have been over with Publish 19, had I still been a subscriber.

It is your decision. Again, IMHO if you ever do decide to re-try SWG, you should wait 3-4 months from now. Like you said, even you consider SWG to be one of the best ever MMORPGs. imageimage
  • ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Uh xplor.... SWG does NOT have a free trial right now. The last free trial was a year ago.

And as to the forums.... they do not work well with Mozilla, Firefox or Netscape... they're written for IE. (I hate that but that's how it is.)

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas