Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Middle Age Crisis

ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
Been a member of this site for 8 years now (and a 43 year old gamer), i've seen games hyped all the way to release and then... well u know the end.
My first impressions during the first hours was "well another one...."
Having now reached lvl40 after a 20 day period i realized that i am hooked.

This is truly a masterpiece for MY likings.
This is NOT a PVP grindfest.
This is NOT a linear WoW clone.
This is NOT a gear showoff.

This is a real immersive experience of a HUGE world of thousand things to do and a thousand roads to choose.
I've already quit from my first guild cause they've expected me to grind myself to 50 in 3 days so that we can
destroy the other guild which they've destroyed the affiliated guild which........
Oh ! thank god these kind of players are not going to last long in this game.

If you plan on investing on this game only to treat it like a combat arena, then luckily for us
you're gonna ragequit soon.

Yes there is a cash shop but if you will not invest in anything else but killing then you'll find yourself
visiting it pretty often.

You want a Pet ? buy it, but make sure you have the resources to feed it.
You want to be a fisherman ? fine, but make sure your fish are fresh when you deliver.
You  need to farm,fish,fight,PVP,explore,socialize,read,invent,invest.......and a thousand things more.

I'm having a middle age crisis with this game and i'm fully enjoying it.
Now i need to go harvest potatoes, gather water, distill it, harvest sugar and go to my house to make some beer.

Cheers !!!!

"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
― Terry Pratchett,

Comments

• kszer0kszer0 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Harvest potatoes, to gather water, to distill it, harvest sugar, and go to my house to make some beer, to harvest potatoes , to gather water, to distill it, harvest sugar, and go to my house to make some beer, to harvest potatoes , to gather water, to distill it, harvest sugar, and go to my house to make some beer, to harvest potatoes , to gather water, to distill it, harvest sugar, and go to my house to make some beer, to harvest potatoes , to gather water, to distill it, harvest sugar, and go to my house to make some beer.

The game is fun, but too many people are overselling the features. Yeah it has a good baseline for a potentially great game, but until we start to offer constructive criticism instead of squashing it we'll never see this game improve. Most of the features in the game are incredibly shallow at the moment. 
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    erevus said:
    Been a member of this site for 8 years now (and a 43 year old gamer), i've seen games hyped all the way to release and then... well u know the end.
    My first impressions during the first hours was "well another one...."
    Having now reached lvl40 after a 20 day period i realized that i am hooked.

This is truly a masterpiece for MY likings.
    This is NOT a PVP grindfest.
    This is NOT a linear WoW clone.
    This is NOT a gear showoff.

This is a real immersive experience of a HUGE world of thousand things to do and a thousand roads to choose.
    I've already quit from my first guild cause they've expected me to grind myself to 50 in 3 days so that we can
    destroy the other guild which they've destroyed the affiliated guild which........
    Oh ! thank god these kind of players are not going to last long in this game.

If you plan on investing on this game only to treat it like a combat arena, then luckily for us
    you're gonna ragequit soon.

Yes there is a cash shop but if you will not invest in anything else but killing then you'll find yourself
    visiting it pretty often.

You want a Pet ? buy it, but make sure you have the resources to feed it.
    You want to be a fisherman ? fine, but make sure your fish are fresh when you deliver.
    You  need to farm,fish,fight,PVP,explore,socialize,read,invent,invest.......and a thousand things more.

I'm having a middle age crisis with this game and i'm fully enjoying it.
    Now i need to go harvest potatoes, gather water, distill it, harvest sugar and go to my house to make some beer.

Cheers !!!!

Totally agree, the folks saying things like "the main selling point for this game is pvp" are bonkers imo. That certainly is part of the game, but there is no other medieval fantasy mmo out that gives players the sense of being in a real, breathing, virtual world to the extent that BDO does: and for me that's where the real attraction lies.
  • carvalho677carvalho677 Member UncommonPosts: 59
    edited March 2016
    erevus said:

Yap that's what makes this game so special :)

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422
    Nice little RPG aspect is all the unmarked NPCs that have a piece of knowledge to unlock by talking to them. That is helpful for increasing your energy and using in the amity minigames.

Can be a pain when theres packs of 20 npcs standing around though :P
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Cougan said:
    Nice little RPG aspect is all the unmarked NPCs that have a piece of knowledge to unlock by talking to them. That is helpful for increasing your energy and using in the amity minigames.

Can be a pain when theres packs of 20 npcs standing around though :P
    Players could always talk to NPCs in most games... there just was no point to... as in, doing so didn't gain you anything.  Now everyone talks to every NPC... not really, they clickity click... because there is something to gain from it.  No different than doing dailies and the like... you are still being led by the nose to some respects.

Now if talking to an NPC just gave you a conversation and nothing more (reward-wise), then it's a matter of choice by the player and they are going to actually read the content being said.  Right now it's just one of many ways to *improve* your character.

A better choice would have been to make the responses from the NPCs more random... as in, they don't tell you the same thing each day or week... maybe they offer you a quest one time but not another... tell you a tale one time but not another... sell you something one time but not another.   This actually makes you come back to talk to them over time and not just once as you pass through the area.  Instead of just giving people new stuff in a new area with content updates, they should give you a reason to return to the areas you have left... which is a major downfall in replayability in most games... the do it once mentality.

So in essence, talking to an NPC might do nothing at all for you, it might do something, no rhyme or reason to it, which makes it more alive and less linear.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    kszer0 said:
    Harvest potatoes, to gather water, to distill it, harvest sugar, and go to my house to make some beer, to harvest potatoes , to gather water, to distill it, harvest sugar, and go to my house to make some beer, to harvest potatoes , to gather water, to distill it, harvest sugar, and go to my house to make some beer, to harvest potatoes , to gather water, to distill it, harvest sugar, and go to my house to make some beer, to harvest potatoes , to gather water, to distill it, harvest sugar, and go to my house to make some beer.

The game is fun, but too many people are overselling the features. Yeah it has a good baseline for a potentially great game, but until we start to offer constructive criticism instead of squashing it we'll never see this game improve. Most of the features in the game are incredibly shallow at the moment. 
    Lol, go play the other MMO's out there.  Now those are shallow.  Quest, kill mobs, get gear or gather and craft....that's it.  The amount of things I can spend my time on in this game is crazy.  Hell I forget to kill mobs most days, that has never happened in the other later MMO's...never.  It's funny though, the rush to max lvl and gear obsession people have definitely found their way into this game.  I just don't know what they are rushing for.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited March 2016
    Eh, just another one that discovered shocking part of MMOs - crafting.
  • yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240
    edited March 2016
    kszer0 said:
    Harvest potatoes.....
    Well, if all you do is make beer, then, yeah, sure, it's shallow, lol :).
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Thanks for the post. . now dragging me back toward a purchase :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608
    There are many things that I hope will change with BDO. But if I learned anything from time with Star Wars Galaxies, then it is- Regardless if BDO, Blade and Soul, GW2 or any other game goes down the drain, that it is all the more important you get the fun out of the game while it has momentum. 

Hopefully BDO and BnS won't go the way of ArcheAge, but in both communities there is a fear of it. And it's not unjustified. 
    The OP mimmicks my own experiences, and it is puzzling. BDO is more than the sum of its parts. The story is atrocious, and yet it still manages to be so immersive. 

I completely lose myself in the world. 
  • LigiLigi Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Very nice post OP,  completly agree.  For some that say that BDO is shallow, please don't take me wrong but most likely you are one of the players that plays like you eat ( some soda and fast food  ) this game is for people that KNOWS how to savour a good wine and a carefully prepared meal.

Most likely the first players reaching the soft cap level will quit BDO because they drunk a very fine wine as if it was a bottle of water.

I am having a blast playing BDO and I am only here typing instead of playing because there is a huge expansion coming today and servers are down. 

• EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 417
    Well..

The game looks stunning. It has alot to do, but it's more like a simulation game than a roleplaying game. All the roleplaying parts really suck. So yeah, it's not a bad game..But the roleplaying parts (quests, bosses, raids, lore etc) is really....really bad. If you like an advanced crafting game with some action combat on the side, with a beautiful seemless world..This is the game for you.

If you, like me..Like the roleplaying part of having well written quests/lore/dialogue and loads of customisation options, then The Elder Scrolls Online is probably a better game for you.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Ligi said:
    Very nice post OP,  completly agree.  For some that say that BDO is shallow, please don't take me wrong but most likely you are one of the players that plays like you eat ( some soda and fast food  ) this game is for people that KNOWS how to savour a good wine and a carefully prepared meal.

Most likely the first players reaching the soft cap level will quit BDO because they drunk a very fine wine as if it was a bottle of water.

I am having a blast playing BDO and I am only here typing instead of playing because there is a huge expansion coming today and servers are down. 
    Oh really? I would say it is precisely the other way round - because you never played a complex game you think the game is like a "bottle of fine wine"....
  • SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    edited March 2016
    kszer0 said:

Shallow. Sadly that is truth for Black Desert. I just finished my 7 day guest pass at level 39 and I am in a very informative and active guild. And I gotta say, It's a good game but. The sad truth is progression in BDO is grinding. True strength comes from over leveling (beyond soft cap 50) and getting your gear +15ed or more. There is a bunch more stuff to do but it is all shallow in design.
    For example something like fishing is a process of
    A leads to B then C
    And sometimes you get an activity that is A leads to B or C.
    But in depth and true sandbox decisions comes from
    Starting at A or possibly à ( a different starting point entirely) can open up B.C.D and B and D can lead to F or G and sometimes J. Or C can lead you to D then F.
    Trying to explain that complexity doesn't exist in BDO after your A and B process.
    You have quantity not quality.
    And worst part of it all. The immersion breaker that breaks it all. Your own character isn't even a sandbox. It's not even a theme park. It's a template. I feel so bad saying this but FF14 characters are more sandbox than BDO.
  • marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I'm older than the OP and feel the same way.

Spent a whole day actively fishing at one point while chatting on world chat.

Enjoy the amity system, the horse taming, the cooking, most of the quests, the worker system, the node system, the inability to fast travel, the combat, the fact I got an easter egg filled chandelier for my dingy house in Velia.

I have 5 toons, none of them have cracked L25 yet and I'm in no rush to do so. But will play at every opportunity.

My biggest issue is working out which toon to play each time I log in. The serker for some CP and bash crash fun, the wizard for some fishing, taming or nukage PvE, the tamer for some beer making or farming, the ranger for some mindless pve or the sorcerer (who may disappear if the blader shows up soon).

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    The only thing i find irritating atm in BDO is that they disabled gifting stuff on the pearl shop :c And there was no bloody announce and the button is still there. 

I bought a pet but I bought enough pearls to gift one to my bf too. Surprise, surprise, apparently some gold seller shmugs used the gifting option to RMT and Daum disabled it but people like me were caught off guard :( I just wanted to send him a pet, which he can't trade even if he wanted to :/ 

Hope they turn it back on soon.

Other than that it's an amazing game. It's refreshing to play something different. Sure it's not perfect, translations are laughably bad, UI is bad but underneath all that, there's a game. A game I've been playing for couple of weeks and enjoying every second of it. 

And for an altoholic like me I LOVE IT that having an alt isn't punishing. Actually it's recommended to have alts *_* Already have valky/ranger/tamer *_* I have a sorc too but she's not as fun as the others but i'll probably get there too soon :) 
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Eadan1 said:
    The rankings for professions/ gathering skills is a nice touch; but if it is the only goal, it's not enough. Plus I imagine to get higher in the rankings you would need to start paying real money. 

You cannot pay real money to increase rankings. You cannot convert cash into game currency in BDO, so you will have to play the game to progress.
  • RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    edited March 2016
    Fully agree with the OP. Wouldn't write it differently.

Finally a new MMORPG home for me. Still stuck at lvl 22 after three weeks and don't even plan to lvl up soon. So much to do lol. 
    Post edited by Ramajama on
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Leon1e said:
    The only thing i find irritating atm in BDO is that they disabled gifting stuff on the pearl shop :c And there was no bloody announce and the button is still there. 

I bought a pet but I bought enough pearls to gift one to my bf too. Surprise, surprise, apparently some gold seller shmugs used the gifting option to RMT and Daum disabled it but people like me were caught off guard :( I just wanted to send him a pet, which he can't trade even if he wanted to :/ 

Hope they turn it back on soon.

Other than that it's an amazing game. It's refreshing to play something different. Sure it's not perfect, translations are laughably bad, UI is bad but underneath all that, there's a game. A game I've been playing for couple of weeks and enjoying every second of it. 

And for an altoholic like me I LOVE IT that having an alt isn't punishing. Actually it's recommended to have alts *_* Already have valky/ranger/tamer *_* I have a sorc too but she's not as fun as the others but i'll probably get there too soon :) 
    It would be great if they could bring back the gifting, but unfortunately it was a feature that was exploited by the RMT'ers, so it had to go, its a shame, and just another example of how RMT'ers ruin games for others, and before people jump all over that statement, the RMT companies were using stolen CC's etc. to do it, which is a huge problem in itself.

Have to say though, this game actively rewards multiple characters, as so much is shared between characters, including inventory space, that it helps with crafting, gathering, all sorts of things.

Now, i am not saying that BDO is like SWG, but, i can honestly say that i haven't been this involved in an MMO since SWG, so much so that i've not had time to play other games, pretty much at all, and hands down, Wizards are awesome, fiddly at first, and it does take time to master the combo's but totally worth it.
    Not a fan of the gender and age locking, but, i can deal with it, because the game really is that good B)
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Eadan1 said:
    YashaX said:
    Eadan1 said:
    The rankings for professions/ gathering skills is a nice touch; but if it is the only goal, it's not enough. Plus I imagine to get higher in the rankings you would need to start paying real money. 

You cannot pay real money to increase rankings. You cannot convert cash into game currency in BDO, so you will have to play the game to progress.
    I am sure there are things in the cash shop that increases your gathering/ processing xp or chances to succeed.
    Of course you are. Those eight hours you put in make you far more knowledgeable than a dedicated player like YashaX could ever be.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Snakex said:
    kszer0 said:
    But in depth and true sandbox decisions comes from
    Starting at A or possibly à ( a different starting point entirely) can open up B.C.D and B and D can lead to F or G and sometimes J. Or C can lead you to D then F.
    Trying to explain that complexity doesn't exist in BDO after your A and B process.
    You have quantity not quality.
    And worst part of it all. The immersion breaker that breaks it all. Your own character isn't even a sandbox. It's not even a theme park. It's a template. I feel so bad saying this but FF14 characters are more sandbox than BDO.
    I don't consider BDO sandbox. 

Energy is limited resource so you cannot do what you want based on a shallow game design.
    You cannot trade
    Market price ranges are pre-determined and you cannot sell for what you want.

Aside from energy I like the other two ideas, but I think it does not fit a sandbox because of that.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Eadan1 said:
    I know the cash shop model. I don't know who you are hoping to fool by saying your ranking won't get affected by the amount of cash you spend. IF by a very tiny chance such things don't exist in cash shop right now, it is only a matter of time before they do.
    I have to agree, it cannot be any other way, no matter how much current players want to believe that it will.

Unless BDO is the second WoW, B2P box sales are very soon going to drop off sharply (if they haven't already).

The cash shop offerings WILL have to be expanded to maintain the revenue flow. And that will not be achieved via adding a few more high-priced optional costumes. The standard fare will inevitably appear, i.e. consumables that need to be bought on an ongoing basis.

Pearl Abyss obviously cares very much about the money they make off of BDO. Otherwise they would not enforce an IP block on regions where the publishing rights have not been sold (even though the chances of selling those rights in Africa are vanishingly small). If they're that eager to make money, it's highly likely that they will not accept the revenue stream drying-up after the initial B2P sale in the NA/EU region.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Eadan1 said:
    Eadan1 said:
    YashaX said:
    Eadan1 said:

I am sure there are things in the cash shop that increases your gathering/ processing xp or chances to succeed.
    Of course you are. Those eight hours you put in make you far more knowledgeable than a dedicated player like YashaX could ever be.
    I know the cash shop model. I don't know who you are hoping to fool by saying your ranking won't get affected by the amount of cash you spend. IF by a very tiny chance such things don't exist in cash shop right now, it is only a matter of time before they do.
    Nice fallback position: "even if IDK what the hell I'm saying, they will do it in the future" :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Well said OP!  I am 42 and agree with everything you said.
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Eadan1 said:
    YashaX said:
    Eadan1 said:

These items, which are essentially outfits, exist in game too. I've received a few that give bonuses exp to cooking, gathering, etc. I didn't even need silver to get them. They were rewarded to me for doing those activities.