Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is VR mainstream yet?

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    with that pricing, no. 

it is not :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Thane said:
    with that pricing, no. 

it is not :)
    I was thinking of getting a $1000 monitor, should I?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    sure, if you got the cash :)

would be too expensive for me too tho, hehe

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Thane said:
    sure, if you got the cash :)

would be too expensive for me too tho, hehe
    yeah some people buy nice cars others buy nice tech. I am the latter. I dont have a BMW

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    IF YOU HAVE TO ASK IF ITS MAINSTREAM. It's not mainstream enough to be called mainstream.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    SEANMCAD said:
    No Sean... It is not mainstream yet. 

But if you give it 2-3 years it will be. 

This have been a good conversation

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    I think the interest and potential is definitely there.  I do however think it's too early to say it has hit mainstream.
    IF YOU HAVE TO ASK IF ITS MAINSTREAM. It's not mainstream enough to be called mainstream.
    Is Star Wars mainstream? what about BMW?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    until these devices release and become ubiquitous, "no".
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Given that basic/reasonable new automobile transportation costs around $25,000 and BMWs cost $10k more than that and BMWs are mainstream does that mean the cost of VR being under the price of a premium good gaming monitor is why it will not be mainstream? heads explode

I'm unclear on how the linked article supports asking the question in the title of this thread.  Someone help me out here, but it's about the VR experience in one game right?  How does that approach "mainstream" or "killer app"?  Sure, it's cool, but I'm not making the connection.

Here, even from the author of the article: "Welcome to the future."

So maybe one day it will be, but consumers are finicky and it's hard to predict sometimes how things will play out.  Just look at VHS vs. Betamax.  The latter was superior in quality, but it failed to capture the market like VHS did.
    this should help what does the phrase 'killer app' mean?

SEANMCAD said:
    I'm unclear on how the linked article supports asking the question in the title of this thread.  Someone help me out here, but it's about the VR experience in one game right?  How does that approach "mainstream" or "killer app"?  Sure, it's cool, but I'm not making the connection.

Here, even from the author of the article: "Welcome to the future."

So maybe one day it will be, but consumers are finicky and it's hard to predict sometimes how things will play out.  Just look at VHS vs. Betamax.  The latter was superior in quality, but it failed to capture the market like VHS did.
    this should help what does the phrase 'killer app' mean?

What? What should help?  I don't see anything other than a question from you that makes no sense.
    the answer to your question is 'killer app'

I assume you dont know what the term means, is that a correct assumption?

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    It's definitely not yet, no. Will it be? Too early to tell. I remember when I had my Wii hooked up in my living room all the time. Now? It comes out when I want to play some Super Mario Bros. 

It's a perfect example of novel versus practical. VR has to prove that it's something that's practical, which may be difficult to do. Remember that gamers are highly critical, because each one is an expert in games, gameplay, and how games should be developed ( yes that's a joke). However, due to these high standards, I think it will be difficult to become something that you "absolutely have to get".

This is why, as mentioned before, they need to bridge the gap between VR in gaming and in real-world, and the first step to that will be cutting that cord. Otherwise, a tech like AR comes in from a more practical angle, integrate into your life first, and then builds into games (a la smart phones). 

If it can't break out of that novel but impractical mold, it'll probably make money, but burn out quickly. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    It's definitely not yet, no. Will it be? Too early to tell. I remember when I had my Wii hooked up in my living room all the time. Now? It comes out when I want to play some Super Mario Bros. 

It's a perfect example of novel versus practical. VR has to prove that it's something that's practical, which may be difficult to do. Remember that gamers are highly critical, because each one is an expert in games, gameplay, and how games should be developed ( yes that's a joke). However, due to these high standards, I think it will be difficult to become something that you "absolutely have to get".

This is why, as mentioned before, they need to bridge the gap between VR in gaming and in real-world, and the first step to that will be cutting that cord. Otherwise, a tech like AR comes in from a more practical angle, integrate into your life first, and then builds into games (a la smart phones). 

If it can't break out of that novel but impractical mold, it'll probably make money, but burn out quickly. 
    VR can exist and thrive without a single game. at least the is my view. That said, once gamers start using it and some major brand like.......Star Wars...gets behind it then gamers will start to try it

SEANMCAD said:
    Given that basic/reasonable new automobile transportation costs around $25,000 and BMWs cost $10k more than that and BMWs are mainstream does that mean the cost of VR being under the price of a premium good gaming monitor is why it will not be mainstream? heads explode
    A: The car as a mode of transportation have been around for over 100 years and BMW for well... pretty much 100 years. The car did not really hit mainstream until 1920-30´s and it was still very much a luxury product. Real mainstream appeal came in the 40-50´s.

BMW is by no stretch of the imagination considered a mainstream brand outside of brand recognition. In fact they work very hard to sell them self as a luxury item. Affordable luxury but still. 

What made the car mainstream was it´s usefulness. VR live the same life. If it fails to become useful it will remain a quirky gadget. 

edited March 2016
    tawess said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    A: The car as a mode of transportation have been around for over 100 years and BMW for well... pretty much 100 years. The car did not really hit mainstream until 1920-30´s and it was still very much a luxury product. Real mainstream appeal came in the 40-50´s.

BMW is by no stretch of the imagination considered a mainstream brand outside of brand recognition. In fact they work very hard to sell them self as a luxury item. Affordable luxury but still. 

What made the car mainstream was it´s usefulness. VR live the same life. If it fails to become useful it will remain a quirky gadget. 

I was using BMW to use it as a 'its waaaaty to expensive' argument comparison. Never the less we shall see, I dont think those innovative products that start off as luxury items really had Star Wars (as just one example) using its technology.

Having said that as far as use goes at least in the gaming industry nothing in gaming at all is useful so not sure I follow you there

and my point is about $10,000 of the price of a BMW has nothing to do with anything at all other than label

In marketing terminology, a killer application (commonly shortened to killer app) is any computer program that is so necessary or desirable that it proves the core value of some larger technology, such as computer hardware, gaming console, software, a programming language, software platform, or an operating system.

I just think you need help on communicating in the written form. There are free online classes for this.  I'm being honest and trying to be helpful, I know it probably sounds harsh and I probably shouldn't post it here, but I think you need it because so many times your meaning is completely lost on others around here time after time.

Regardless, the article is about the VR experience in one game, and you offer nothing else in your OP title and post other than the questions: "Is VR mainstream yet?" and "killer app?"

So please, explain how the article supports even asking these questions, I still don't see it as you've offered nothing else.
    you had to go to a website to find the offical definition of the word 'killer app' to understand what I mean by that phrase when I used it in the context of my post?

Yeah you dont understand so let me help you

A 'killer app' in this context is the application that catapults a product into the mainstream because its so desired, marketed and/or associated with a well known IP.

like...Star Wars. 
    more over the idea of 'killer app' is that its ONE APPLICATION....that catapults a technology into a mainstream. the whole 'one application' is the fiber of the phrase 'killer app'

'what is VRs killer app' was the question I was POUNDED with not but a month ago'

Well SEANMCAD, if I had posted what I thought it meant off the top of my head, you would have disputed it no doubt, so it's simpler to post  a source for reference sake and end the debate before it starts.

And so now we finally get around to what you're trying to say.  You think that the game itself is the "killer app" in this case?  Is that what you're asking?  Personally, I don't see it happening.  That would mean because of this one game people will feel like they must have VR now?  Maybe the people that want to play this one single game, maybe. How many people is that?

Also, you expect forum goers to pick up on the context of a discussion from a month ago from another thread without you linking that discussion for the sake of those that weren't there?  And if this is just for those that were there, maybe you should mention that in your OP, no?
    ok the ? mark at the end of 'killer app' is me ASKING the community if it is, its not me saying that it is or even implying that it is.

I think you are making what I said far too complicated.

Here is some history that might help you.

A few weeks ago I was told by the community (which I know doesnt represent every view) that VR needs a 'killer app' in order to go mainstream. I said that it doesnt, that having a strong library of many titles can be just as good as a 'killer app'

so my question (the hint is in the ? mark)

IS THIS THAT KILLER APP?
    yes
    or
    no

edited March 2016
    All of that should have been in the OP to avoid this distraction from the point you're trying to make.  You assumed too much in thinking we would all remember you and/or your past discussions.
    I am not making a point in the OP.

its a question, just as it is written.

wow....this is amazing!

just answer the question or move the F on. jesus christ!

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    It's going to be a good couple of years before that happens, IMO. We're in the early adopter stages right now.
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    At the current PC prices VR is never gonig to go mainstream.

On PS4 it might, on PC it won't, the response to the prices of Oculus and Vive has been overwhelmingly negative.
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    edited March 2016
    Doubt it, i have a ton of gamer friends and no one got them because of their price range.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Its not mainstream, and at least for gaming it will most likely never be.

edited March 2016

Waterlily said:
    At the current PC prices VR is never gonig to go mainstream.

On PS4 it might, on PC it won't, the response to the prices of Oculus and Vive has been overwhelmingly negative.
    yet pre-orders sell out.

price being less than a good monitor and requiring specs similar to The Division aside for a moment 

Isnt pretty much anything that is associated with Star Wars by default 'mainstream'?

SEANMCAD said:

I was using BMW to use it as a 'its waaaaty to expensive' argument comparison. Never the less we shall see, I dont think those innovative products that start off as luxury items really had Star Wars (as just one example) using its technology.

Having said that as far as use goes at least in the gaming industry nothing in gaming at all is useful so not sure I follow you there

and my point is about $10,000 of the price of a BMW has nothing to do with anything at all other than label
    Well the KINECT had Star Wars apps too.... Did diddlely squat for it =P 

As i have said before. 

VR need one or two more generations of hardware development and price reductions to become mainstream. That will take 2-3 years minimum. Maybe more. 

For now VR is aimed at the top end market... the same people who bought a smart watch.

It is the very opposite of mainstream and the price is only a small fraction of that.