Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remind me! 4 weeks - "Insider info; how deep does the rabbit hole go?"

Comments

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    edited March 2016
    Why did you bring up Smart?  No one was talking about him, no one cares about his games.  Why are you so insistent on comparing SC to such bad  games?  Do you expect SC to be just as bad?  Why are you so obsessed with Smart?
    You nailed it in your question... They're obsessed. He's their ultimate go-to scape-goat for everything. He is the answer to every and any problem that arises, or will arise, with SC. They can't not bring him up, even when the subject has absolutely zero to do with DS.

The position of SC fans is this crazy paradox when it comes to Smart.
    On one hand,  they say Smart's a know-nothing, has-been developer who doesn't know what he's talking about, etc.
    Until some bad news crops up with SC. Then suddenly, the SC faithful somehow find a way to attribute it to Derek.

Hell, I've read articles about SC where Smart isn't even *mentioned*, nor even referred to. Somehow, within the first 2 or 3 comments, people are bringing his name up to dismiss the entire article anyway.

They are absolutely obsessed with the guy.

Here's something else to consider.

Both LoD and SC are described, by their respective developers, to be in Alpha stage at this point.

Yet, ever notice how, when you point out problems in SC - a game with a budget of over 100 million in backer funding, a huge team, spread across multiple offices encompassing multiple companies... they'll immediately argue "It's Alpha! It's not finished yet! Of course there's going to be bugs! Be patient!" Doesn't matter how big the problem may be... simply saying "It's Alpha!" explains away everything.

Yet, let those same people see even a *slight* bug or glitch in LoD - a game developed by a far smaller team (IIRC, no more than 23 people at most at one point), and self-funded (no backers, no investors, no time-limited sales of jpeg ships) on a small fraction of the budget, and suddenly, saying "it's Alpha" doesn't matter. Those same people will say "No. That doesn't excuse it. There's no excuse why this game is still in this condition".

Go look at any of a number of YT vids where people are playing SC and running into some crazy bugs. SC fans will immediately fall all over themselves trying to excuse it away, in some cases, blaming the poster for it. And, of course, it's almost guaranteed some of them are going to invariably bring up Derek Smart.

The hypocrisy, the double-standards, the spin, the deflections, the denial, the cognitive dissonance, the sheer nonsense that comes from many of the SC faithful is amazing to witness.

Another case in point, if there's one thing you could never accuse Derek of being, it's shy with his opinions, or not saying exactly what he thinks, loudly, un-apologetically, and typically, at length. Derek has explained his whole deal with SC numerous times, in articles, in blogs, in interviews, etc. He's explained *exactly* what his issues are with SC, and *exactly* what bothers him about it, and *exactly* what he's wanted to see from the start.  He's stated it, re-stated it and then stated it again.

But, will you ever hear any of his *actual* position accurately represented by any of the SC fans? Nope. Not even close. I don't even think most of them know what his actual position is. They're too busy making up their own version of it to be bothered. Intellectual honesty doesn't seem very important to many of them.

If you are at all interested in hearing Derek's take on this, and you genuinely and honestly want to know, then go hear it from Derek himself. Don't go on what the SC fans tell you. Anything they tell you, just ignore it. Don't listen to it. Whether you're on one side, the other side, completely neutral, or just purely curious... if you want to know the actual reasons, go to the source.

Someone earlier in the suggested, or asked, if should everything come crashing down with SC, will they all blame Derek for it. That one's easy... Of course they will. 100% guaranteed. Count on it. And all the while, they'll be simultaneously calling him a know-nothing, nobody, has-been who doesn't know what he's talking about... but was somehow responsible for destroying a game he didn't have even a single line of code in.

I'm now going to sit here and see how long it takes for someone to accuse me of being Derek Smart on a fake account. That's another thing. So open are the minds of many SC fans, and so developed are their critical thinking skills, that if you so much as post anything that isn't bashing DS, you are automatically accused of being him. It's happened to me 5 times now across various sites, etc. All because someone said something about DS or LoD, and *dared* to say 'Umm.. no that's not correct. This is how it is".

An amazing slice of humanity those SC fans, I'll tell ya.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    goobsnews said:
    Kefo said:
    goobsnews said:
    Healthy community.

Open Development.

What isn't there to love?! The game is DEFINITELY coming out guys.

Oh man I love it when someone posts that chart on the forums like its some holy grail. On the surface it looks great but when you take a closer look it isn't carved in stone but written in crayon.

I didn't know half life started development in 1999, could have sworn I was playing it in 1998 though. Same with Morrowind, I could have sworn I was playing that game in 2002 and not in 2004 as the chart suggests. I never played Shenmue but it would seem like it was released in 2000 and not 2006.

I guess the SC fans are willing to bend reality to try and prove a point. 
    It went right over your head. Did you actually read the percentage beside Star Citizen?

Protip: Right click -> open image in new tab.

/sigh....Goob on the SC forums (the RSI ones, not here lol) the fans will bring this picture out and use it to shoot down any criticism of it being late. I know the 4% is there but that's why I was saying I love it when they bring out this image as a defense. I didn't mean you specifically using it :expressionless: 
  • JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Brenics said:
    JohnP0100 said:
    So I've been informed that this thread is now being emailed around CIG and at least two meetings were held as to discredit what was written. ChrisR didn't attend either but Sandi and Ortwin did with Sean attending only one of them.

Anyway. I'm told the exits are still happening. The reveal however isn't. So if you were looking forward to the trailer, blame me for killing it.

The fact that a forum thread on this site caused CIG to do things is both hilarious and sad.
    That is funny. I wonder if they are trying to hide this from Roberts? Being the head of this whole thing, still very surprised he isn't watching these and other forums. I said a while back if he really has nothing to hide (I know he does) he should be the one coming in and discuss it with us. Heck even Smed did that. 
    The 'paid peons' who monitor SC content on the forums apparently tagged this thread and sent it to their 'community management' team. And that started the whole cascade of 'how do we discredit this' meetings.
    Printouts were made and lines were crossed with marker pens etc.
    Just.... 

Imagine this. 
    AN EXEC AT CIG, PRINTED MY ORIGINAL POST AND USED MARKER PENS TO HIGHLIGHT AND DISCUSS STRATEGY TO DISCREDIT IT!

And now.. don't imagine it cause it is F------ REAL!!!!
    Just.... Wut? Not even LOLWUT. Just... WUT?!

I think I officially won the internet or something cause.... WUT?!

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi

• Broken.ArrowBroken.Arrow Member UncommonPosts: 84
    klash2def said:

Until they announce a RELEASE DATE or DEVELOPMENT SHUT DOWN, let's just stop talking about it yea? 

Conversation is dead horse tbh 
    This would be the best move for any half decent dev-house. The good old, "It`s ready when it`s ready," is a strong statement to live by since you dont let the fans down by giving dates you cant uphold and the haters cant point out your (consecutive) delays, which arent a rare occurrence in this field. 

But the issue here is that, CIG THRIVE on the hype train. Their very existence, literally, depends on getting all the suckers, marks and clueless folk hot and bothered so that they go out there and repeatedly spend big...purely driven by fancy jpegs, costly promo videos, big name star cast, a whole shit ton of promises which will most certainly not be delivered and everything else all the way down the gravy train.

And you bet your ass, their shills will NOT stop talking bout it here or on any other soapbox where they can spread the good word from. Release date or no release date, their shills are given a brief to 'gather hype' and pass it off as genuine interest created by the general public. CIG did not invent any such way of marketing, but they really are good at it. That is what separates a good con job from a great one, in the great ones even the marks left naked and stranded in the middle of the desert dont want to believe that they just got robbed silly. 

This project may have started out with pure intent to bank on a "big name" developer's legacy and deliver an actual game. But when said "big name" guy saw the boatloads of money pouring in...the raison d'être of this project changed from making a game to making more money. What half assed game comes out of the end of this tunnel, will be the lynchpin for some major changes in the entire gaming and crowdfunding subsphere.

---

A proud User of [[Adblock Plus]], to block out all the bullshit paid advertisements (also read as "game reviews") spam on mmorpg.com. 

----

I was banned for pointing out the obvious faults in a game 2 months before it released.
    Now after release, repeating the very same words from back then would be like preaching to the choir on this site.
  • Broken.ArrowBroken.Arrow Member UncommonPosts: 84
    JohnP0100 said:

The 'paid peons' who monitor SC content on the forums apparently tagged this thread and sent it to their 'community management' team.
    Actually Im not very surprised.
    Quite a few companies, even the ones who dont solely deliver on pipedreams, have monitors on the vast spectrum of social media avenues to scout out any damaging bit of information and take measures to either outright negate any blowback or at least douse the flames. Even "celebrities", politicians and other people who need to maintain positive public persona, have dedicated PR teams for such duties. 

Small word of advice to you is to go mail BMurphy directly (for whatever good that may do...) when you see certain shills purposefully derail this thread by constantly dragging in topic-unrelated 3rd party developers. Im putting this in a public post rather than PM because everyone needs to know that those shills get paid for getting such threads locked, ie performing "damage control", by using main accounts, burner accounts and circle jerking support from the cultists.  

---

A proud User of [[Adblock Plus]], to block out all the bullshit paid advertisements (also read as "game reviews") spam on mmorpg.com. 

----

I was banned for pointing out the obvious faults in a game 2 months before it released.
    Now after release, repeating the very same words from back then would be like preaching to the choir on this site.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Well one thing is for sure, tomorrow is going to be very exciting, if Roberts is brought in on this thread. One thing I would bet on, they will start doing some major in house cleaning where they try and find who is informing people on the outside. Then the whiteknights will be told how to counter this thread (which to me says do what you can to get it closed), If I thought Roberts had any backbone he would come in here and respond to all this himself. Heck he wants to make money, setup a debate between him and DS. I would pay to listen to that. Of course that would be wishful thinking. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Drakmar said:

Well, if it isn't Dick Smart...errr Derek Smart himself.

Finally decided to come out of your one sided censored blog to post in open forums where you don't have the power to ban anyone for telling the truth about you and your games.

DS Quote: "Comparing Triple-A games (some of which CR only had his name on, but didn't even WORK on)  with a LOT of scores to aggregate from, to an indie's games, which are very different, not to mention have less scores to aggregate from."

Not long ago you were promoting your piece of crap game at RSI, you were comparing your game to a "AAA" game. Maybe that's where the comparison came from, too bad that's why you got banned and refunded. 

I kinda feel sorry for you,Derek, the jealousy must eat you alive at night. Knowing you will never garner the kind of money to develop a game like Star Citizen. You have proven over and over just how much of a D-bag you can be, not just on this game but others like it. You talk trash about other games being developed instead of improving your game (which really, really needs it BTW) oh and player count hehe! 

You talk about the time of development on Star Citizen, when you have been developing your game for how long now ? I believe it's 6 years and counting. LMAO!

You act all high and mighty because you fund your own development, but the truth of the matter is you can't get any backers if your life depended on it. You burned all the bridges with your self proclaimed "Internet Troll" moniker.

Well maybe you can convince the 10 members of your private blog (Smart Speak) because they believe your bullshit, but  I wouldn't give you a dime if you were the last game developer in the world.

Oh yeah and.....

Please stop playing this almighty savior of the masses and work on your own crap title and leave the tough stuff for the big boys, your just a light-weight developer with a mail-order PhD.

“Bazinga !”

*you're

There, thread fully devolved now. Move along everyone
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    JohnP0100 said:
     The reveal however isn't. So if you were looking forward to the trailer, blame me for killing it.
    Oh how cute.

Make a post with predictions. Then follow up with another post that proclaims that MAYBE the predictions will not come true because those "forces behind the scenes" changed EVERYTHING just because of that one post made by you.

So ... you made sure that you will always be correct, no matter if the predictions come true or not. LMAO.

Now ... let us take a look at your prediction about developers leaving CIG in the next 4 weeks.

The average yearly turnover rate is 15.7 %

http://www.compensationforce.com/2015/03/2014-turnover-rates-by-industry.html

https://www.nbrii.com/employee-survey-white-papers/survey-research-yields-data-on-employee-turnover/

We know its significantly higher than the average in the video game industry, but lets work with those numbers. Lets assume CIG worldwide has around 266 employees  (the last official number i heard was 266, 300 is the number currently being cited most in forums - without source link - and The Smarty always throws around the number 500, which he most likely pulled out of....).

15.7 % of 266 is 41,76 people leaving per annum. Thats around 3.48 people leaving per month.

Your prediction:  3 people will leave CIG in the next month.

Conclusion:
    The turnover rate at CIG is lower than the average across ALL industries, hinting at employee satisfaction. It is most likely significantly lower than the average for the video gaming industry.

Have fun

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Boot_leg said:

GrumpyHobbit seems fully invested, I hear they have some new ships soon.  You should get ready to pony up.  =)
    Fully invested to the sum of £25 or £30 or whatever it was when the game first came out a few years ago. I also think the amount given buying ships is stupid but people are free to spend their money on whatever they want. 

I am more fully invested is pointing out stupidity whenever I see it though. Your friends are prime examples if they are blaming SC for their own shortcomings. They only have themselves to blame and trying to shift the blame is both unfair and shortsighted. 
    Well to be fair, his friends are not blaming SC for anything. Originally he was stating that he did not want to tell his friends because they believe in the game so much that they invested heavily into it. He has since then said that he will tell them because he does not want them to be scammed. He should have probably left the part out of them being scammed etc, however people are passionate and blind when so. If it is not this, then it is something else. Then again, you stated "if" so it is all good either way. 
    Erillion said:
    JohnP0100 said:
     The reveal however isn't. So if you were looking forward to the trailer, blame me for killing it.
    Oh how cute.

Make a post with predictions. Then follow up with another post that proclaims that MAYBE the predictions will not come true because those "forces behind the scenes" changed EVERYTHING just because of that one post made by you.

So ... you made sure that you will always be correct, no matter if the predictions come true or not. LMAO.

Now ... let us take a look at your prediction about developers leaving CIG in the next 4 weeks.

https://www.nbrii.com/employee-survey-white-papers/survey-research-yields-data-on-employee-turnover/

We know its significantly higher than the average in the video game industry, but lets work with those numbers. Lets assume CIG worldwide has around 266 employees  (the last official number i heard was 266, 300 is the number currently being cited most in forums - without source link - and The Smarty always throws around the number 500, which he most likely pulled out of....).

15.7 % of 266 is 41,76 people leaving per annum. Thats around 3.48 people leaving per month.

Conclusion:
    The turnover rate at CIG is lower than the average across ALL industries, hinting at employee satisfaction. It is most likely significantly lower than the average for the video gaming industry.

Have fun

Oh hey, which hole did you crawl out of.

I don't talk to toxic people like you who always attack people. GTFO my thread. 

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Drakmar said:
    JohnP0100 said:
    Drakmar said:

“Bazinga !”

It is certainly 'Bazinga' alright.

Take your GARBAGE post and GTFO of my thread please.
    How about you go back to "Smart Speak" where you can cuddle with Derek.....
    So... trolling confirmed?
    Or is this the 'puppet master' stage? I always get confused.

JohnP0100 said:

The 'paid peons' who monitor SC content on the forums apparently tagged this thread and sent it to their 'community management' team.
    Quite a few companies, even the ones who dont solely deliver on pipedreams, have monitors on the vast spectrum of social media avenues to scout out any damaging bit of information and take measures to either outright negate any blowback or at least douse the flames. Even "celebrities", politicians and other people who need to maintain positive public persona, have dedicated PR teams for such duties. 

Small word of advice to you is to go mail BMurphy directly (for whatever good that may do...) when you see certain shills purposefully derail this thread by constantly dragging in topic-unrelated 3rd party developers. Im putting this in a public post rather than PM because everyone needs to know that those shills get paid for getting such threads locked, ie performing "damage control", by using main accounts, burner accounts and circle jerking support from the cultists.  

Like I said previously, the source of the post, post that contains more insider stuff and threads that infer some really bad things are all in the industry-only forum which staff from this site has access to.
    So I can just source the staff in this site if this thread gets locked because of 'damage control' and copy paste a new one.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited March 2016
    JohnP0100 said:
    Brenics said:
    JohnP0100 said:
    So I've been informed that this thread is now being emailed around CIG and at least two meetings were held as to discredit what was written. ChrisR didn't attend either but Sandi and Ortwin did with Sean attending only one of them.

Anyway. I'm told the exits are still happening. The reveal however isn't. So if you were looking forward to the trailer, blame me for killing it.

The fact that a forum thread on this site caused CIG to do things is both hilarious and sad.
    That is funny. I wonder if they are trying to hide this from Roberts? Being the head of this whole thing, still very surprised he isn't watching these and other forums. I said a while back if he really has nothing to hide (I know he does) he should be the one coming in and discuss it with us. Heck even Smed did that. 
    The 'paid peons' who monitor SC content on the forums apparently tagged this thread and sent it to their 'community management' team. And that started the whole cascade of 'how do we discredit this' meetings.
    Printouts were made and lines were crossed with marker pens etc.
    Just.... 

Imagine this. 
    AN EXEC AT CIG, PRINTED MY ORIGINAL POST AND USED MARKER PENS TO HIGHLIGHT AND DISCUSS STRATEGY TO DISCREDIT IT!

And now.. don't imagine it cause it is F------ REAL!!!!
    Just.... Wut? Not even LOLWUT. Just... WUT?!

I think I officially won the internet or something cause.... WUT?!

There are several things wrong with what you are now doing.  If you just let the thread sit for four weeks I'd be OK.  But now you keep adding unsubstantiated claims on top of the original ones.  If you are telling the truth with your latest claims, you are risking outing your source, which is also a bad idea.

I haven't donated a single cent to SC or any other source funded project.  I think SC will never meet the goals that have been set, but what you are currently doing is really hard to condone without further proof.

You are very close to flagable material with this thread, if you haven't already passed that point.
    JohnP0100 said:
    Erillion said:
    JohnP0100 said:
    Oh how cute.

Conclusion:

Have fun

Funny. Once you are confronted with some verifyable facts, you call people "toxic" and tell them to GTFO.   ;-)

And if you wonder why i post now ... there is something called international time zones ... and not everyone is in Kansas ..err.. i mean Otago ... anymore. In Europe we do some exotic things like SLEEPING ;-) once in a while.

Have fun

There are several things wrong with what you are now doing.  If you just let the thread sit for four weeks I'd be OK.  But now you keep adding unsubstantiated claims on top of the original ones.  If you are telling the truth with your latest claims, you are risking outing your source, which is also a bad idea.

I haven't donated a single cent to SC or any other source funded project.  I think SC will never meet the goals that have been set, but what you are currently doing is really hard to condone without further proof.

You are very close to flagable material with this thread, if you haven't already passed that point.
    The information in the original post and the subsequent '180' move to discredit it by CIG is not a secret. Like I said, the industry-only forum (which media has access to including staff from this site) has this and more; much much more.
    Example. The '180' discredit information came from multiple sources (larger than 5).

As I said in my original post, I DIDN'T write the original quote. It is something that I saw on social media.
    Hence why the '4 weeks' wait to confirm whether the quote is accurate or not. Although, this discredit move is making me believe it is accurate.

edited March 2016
     and steal what remains.
    AGAIN.

Remember Alganon !

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    JohnP0100 said:

Funny. Once you are confronted with some verifyable facts, you call people "toxic" and tell them to GTFO.   ;-)

And if you wonder why i post now ... there is something called international time zones ... and not everyone is in Kansas ..err.. i mean Otago ... anymore. In Europe we do some exotic things like SLEEPING ;-) once in a while.

Have fun
    I already flagged your 'lets attack DSmart' post and I don't really care whether you believe it was toxic or not.

It was a garbage trolling post so just GTFO.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Brenics said:
    @Hatefull I don't see an alpha. I see concept demo you show to get backers at big investment firms. But that has been a core argument from both sides if it is or isn't. Going to be interesting what happens in around 4 weeks. 

Also thanks OP for posting this. Very eye opening. 

Well that is your opinion and your opinion is in no way fact.  Sorry to burst your bubble.  It is amusing watching all the DS clones in here with their panties in wad screaming; I told you so I told you so! with absolutely no proof to back it up whatsoever.  As usual.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I'm not sure I've ever seen this level of obsession over any game in development, lol

What's next ? Death threats ? Pet bunny in a cooking pot ?

I could probably vaguely understand it if the game was "violating" someone's treasured IP, but it's not. I can only attribute this constant stream of vitriol to pure jealousy, both of the project's success in fundraising and of the backers who are often spending more than many people can afford.

<s>
    The agents of CIG are everywhere ! Even a close friend or family member may have fallen under their influence ! Lock your doors and guard your children, for you never know from whence they may attack next ! This insiduous corruption is permeating every thread of our society. If it is left unchecked, the end of days will surely not be long in coming !
    </s>
  • GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Erillion said:
     and steal what remains.
    AGAIN.

Remember Alganon !

Have fun
    Oh i remember that game. I played it for a bit. I really like the system where you could study multiple things at one time. Not a good game though. Hm I wonder what happened to it. I will  look it up thanks. 
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
     I can only attribute this constant stream of vitriol to pure jealousy, both of the project's success in fundraising and of the backers who are often spending more than many people can afford.

You heard it here guys. All critisism is because of jealousy.
    You're all soooo jealous of Star Citizen's ability to raise 110million of backers money and spend it on 4% of the game's develoment.

..Cake..

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    sgel said:
     I can only attribute this constant stream of vitriol to pure jealousy, both of the project's success in fundraising and of the backers who are often spending more than many people can afford.

You heard it here guys. All critisism is because of jealousy.
    You're all soooo jealous of Star Citizen's ability to raise 110million of backers money and spend it on 4% of the game's develoment.

He's  most likely talking about DS, which at this point is a bit hard to deny
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Erillion said:
    JohnP0100 said:
    Oh how cute.

Conclusion:

Have fun

Haha, are you really trying to use turnover statistics as a blanket statement that represents big named players of a major project? Some random dude that's writing some random code leaving is not equal to a big wig on the project leaving. Guess we'll know soon enough!

Have Fun!

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    JohnP0100 said:

It falls on deaf ears. I have reported people who are obvious shills by using the report button and the same folks are still here.

• EmbersEmbers Member UncommonPosts: 66
    When all the facts come to light about what's been going on with the development and management of Star Citizen, I hope people remember to look twice at the major players on reddit trading site.  A lot of effort has been put into their dedicated attempt to suppress information and deceive people since changes made in Austin during 2013.  Some have rightly refused to get involved, but long term this is going to damage trust for other projects when their motivations are revealed.
This discussion has been closed.