Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The ASTA Online Review

blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,980
ASTA Online

Asta Online is dubbed as the Asian World of Warcraft and with good reason. The game plays much like the Blizzard Giant and in my opinion that is not a bad thing. Why? Keep reading....no seriously, keep reading...don't click away people! I set aside IP man 2 to write this! Anyway back to it....

What does the game offer:

2 player factions --the Asu faction- inhabitants of the overworld and the Ora faction- inhabitants of the underworld
Trinity Gameplay

Each race has their own starting area --
6 Races/ 5 classes with a 6th class (Berserker) releasing soon

Battle grounds,Arenas, Guild vs Guild PvP --
Open World PvP after level 40. Be aware though that the game does not turn into a gankfest at 40. You may be attacked but the focus for the vast majority is battlegrounds,Arena and Guild Wars. You earn PvP currency like WOW  to trade for gear.

Tab-target combat --
Basic WOW style combat with an added combo at certain times that triggers by pressing 'F'

User Interface is clean and uncluttered --
There is a slot to the left of your hotbar that you can equip an item there for a push button effect. Like an area damage effect. You find these as quest rewards and from drops

Talent point tree --
Spec your class the way you want. Like Frost Mage or Shadow Mage or a combo of both.

Public Quests
-- Think WarHammer and Guild Wars 2

Stat point allocation
--Assign points to your attributes as you see fit

Divine Spirits
-- You receive spherical items called 'Divine Spirits' that improve stats or abilities. You earn summon points to create them (or Gold) and as you level up you unlock more and more slots. Examples like +Shield block 10%. +HP 1500.  You have 12 spirit slots and there are 21 spirit types. You can’t equip the same spirit type multiple times. For example, you can’t equip two rat spirits, but you can equip a rat spirit and an ox spirit the same time. Spirits can be upgraded by combining them with other spirits you have in your inventory. Very unique and powerful mechanic.

Crafting
-- The crafting in ASTA is useful and simple. You can only pick 2 professions such as Weapon smith, Tailor, Jewelry maker, Carpentry, Armorer, Alchemy 
 (On a side note about crafted gear. In most games crafted gear is not worth making or using. ASTA is some what the same. The crafted gear is more than adequate for Dungeon runs to acquire Tai Tokens which then can be used to purchase better than crafted gear. I wish crafted gear was the best gear but it is not. It is not trash gear by any means but not on par with Tai Token earned gear. Alchemy though is a fantastic trade.)

Sub-Professions --
There are three sub professions and you can pick them all.

-Fishing - Fishing is a simple little mini game sort of played like the swing in HotShots Golf.
-Treasure Hunting- Treasure Hunting is done by Treasure maps received from quests or from drops. The map will only show you a partial location and you have to go and find the spot that looks to match it on the world map. Once found you dig for your treasure and if successful you unearth your treasure along with a guardian that protects it. Defeat the guardian and the treasure is yours. Very addictive.
-Bounty Hunter- Just like it sounds. There are bounty boards in each zone with a list of wanted mobs. Defeat them to collect your bounty. The wanted are generally tougher than the mobs in the area around them. They do not agro on sight so if you chose not to chase a bounty you do not have to. I know people in game that play mainly as just  treasure hunters and bounty hunters.   

Gathering -- Gathering is done EQ2 style. You can gather everything. You are not locked into say just mining ore or gathering wood or herbs.

Auction House -- Full auction house that is used quite a bit. The Crafting materials are earning me a good living.

Weapon,Item and Character Enhancement -- You can 'socket' (sort of, same effect) weapons to enhance them adding an added damage effect and adding a glow effect. You can also roll a mini stat wheel allowing you the chance to raise your character's stats. The great part about this is you can actually get a bad role and lose stats! You earn the ability to do so for free everyday and also can pay gold to do it or use soul stones.

Soul Stones-- So what are Soul Stones? They are red stones that are given to you on log and awarded the longer you play the game. You can use them for Character Enhancement and also to expand your inventory space.

Dungeons and Raids -- There are plenty of Dungeons in the game as well as a few Raids. They are instanced. They also allow you to chose Easy (Solo) Normal (Ideal for three people) Hard (Ideal for 5 players) The Dungeons can be tough and do require every class play their class as intended. The Warrior's Taunt works well if they spec it right for tanking but I have lost many mages and archers who just unleashed their firepower without managing their agro.

Tai Tokens-- Tai Tokens are acquired in Dungeons and Public Quests and can be traded for gear.

Open World Bosses -- The World is full of Open World Bosses. Usually tied to the public quest system. Advancing the public quest in stages comes to a head with the Boss appearing. Everyone involved in the series of stages is rewarded for their contributions (like Rift) With the top 2 being rewarded the most. Whether damage or healing.

Costumes -- There are many costumes in the game. Also you can find talisman that can turn you into creatures. Very cool looking

Mounts and Pets --  You earn a mount,through a quest, by level 9 or so. Afterwards you can purchase them from a vendor. Pets are store bought and Rares.

Item Shop -- Regardless of what some may initially think about the game it is not P2W. The cash shop includes three separate shops. The Soul Stone Shop where you can spend your Soul Stones on Chests and Item enhancement safeguards. The WCoin Shop where you buy Webzen Coins to purchase chests with mounts,costumes and pets. Also there is a separate tab where you can buy Soul Stones. Much has been made about being able to buy Soul Stones and buy Weapon Enhancement Safeguards. (You can fail at trying to enhance your weapon, this protects it from failing) I have no issue with it because Everything can be found in the game without the shop. Soul Stones are awarded just for logging in and you earn more and more the longer you play. For those without the time others have to play it allows them to catch up in Soul Stones compared to someone who plays all the times for hours on end.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,980
    What I like about the game

The art for one. The world, to me, is a beauty. It is made on the CryEngine 3
    The art style is bright, crisp and clean, with vibrant colors. The mobs are varied and interesting. With good ambient sounds.
    The music from Aion's composer, Yang Bang-Ean, is fantastic and fits the tone and theme of the game world. I love the music.
    The game plays rock solid. All the systems play and run as intended. Hardly any bugs.
    It is a Themepark MMO in the more classic sense. Tab Target, Trinity gameplay, dungeons, crafting, guilds, with guild banking and personal banking. Server firsts. Guild Wars and 10 VS 10 Battlegrounds.
    The deep character customization. This is the one area that really separates it from WOW.
    From the robust character customization, to the class talent tree, the Divine Spirits, and the Attribute points, you really have the ability to shape your character as you want.  
    The size of the world. It is a really big game world. Evident by you receiving a mount before level 10
    The Variety. In the zones, the character looks, the mob, the animals, the mounts, the outfits. Not a lot of sameness in this game.

The things I do not like about the game

I wish the crafting was a deeper system. More of a minigame rather than a collect X pieces of this combine with X pieces of this and press craft.
    I dislike that pets are so hard to come by in the game without buying them in the shop.
    I am surprised there is not a Pet Class in the game or a Druid/Shaman class
    The cities are massive. Almost too much so. It is easy to get lost. I have a feel for them now but it took awhile.
    There is not very much info out there about the game. Guides, Overviews, etc
    The population is low. It makes it hard to join a Battleground or Arena at times. I have a fairly large and active guild with about 30 people on at any given time, so it is not too much of an issue for me, but the population needs to improve for the long term success of the game.
    I wish the game had housing. Not a biggie but it would be nice.
    The future of the game is a worry. Since Webzen picked it up from the original publisher, who stopped publishing PC games and went into the mobile market, Polygon Games has been allowed to continue developing the game. How long that lasts and how much additional content we see come out remains to be seen.
    The localization is really bad. I wish they had just left the voice work in Korean and localized the text into English. I am Korean but many people in game,most Western,also think the same. You hear the same things said by the NPCs over and over again and they are comically bad.

ASTA Online is a fun, classic styled, traditional themepark MMO, wrapped in a bright, beautiful world and a rich soundscape.
    Is it a WOW clone? Perhaps in many areas, but it separates itself from WOW in just as many other areas.
    ASTA went away from the trend of action combat, photorealistic graphics and brand new to the genre mechanics and decided to stick with what has always worked. A game that plays as well as it's competitors and understands that sometimes, you just need to make a solid game that gets all the little things right to remind people that a game does not always have to be ground breaking to be fun.

My Score: A Solid 7.5 out of 10

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AbaxialAbaxial Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Actually, I found the graphics to be rather dull and dated. Compared to something like TERA or B & S, Asta seriously lacks slickness and style.
    Abaxial said:
    Actually, I found the graphics to be rather dull and dated. Compared to something like TERA or B & S, Asta seriously lacks slickness and style.
    The eye of the beholder I suppose. I think the art and graphics and animations are done very well. Clean, Crisp and Vibrant. They are not BDO quality by any stretch but it ensures the game will run on many systems.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    edited March 2016
    Good review blueturtle13 :). I tried the game when it initially came out but wasn't totally feeling it. Maybe I will give it a shot again.

Good review blueturtle13 :). I tried the game when it initially came out but wasn't totally feeling it. Maybe I will give it a shot again.
    Yeah I do not look at it as a game people will be playing for 10 years or anything but for what it sets out to do I think it does a really good job. Better than many games over the last 5 years or so.  

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    Good review. Your like and dislike list is very close to mine. A couple of additions:
    Positives:
    -- Even though the 3 sub-professions are simple I have a lot of fun with them. The treasure hunting tasks can be especially challenging for solo work. If you can't get a dungeon/raid/BG/etc and want a challenge those can do it.
    -- You can farm world events to get better mounts and goodies.
    Negatives:
    -- Raid mechanics are unimaginative. They are challenging which is a plus, but they are very unimaginative and typical.
    -- Only the top 2 players are rewarded with world event tokens. Powerful players can dominate events repeatedly. They need to fix this.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

Torval said:
    Good review. Your like and dislike list is very close to mine. A couple of additions:
    Positives:
    -- Even though the 3 sub-professions are simple I have a lot of fun with them. The treasure hunting tasks can be especially challenging for solo work. If you can't get a dungeon/raid/BG/etc and want a challenge those can do it.
    -- You can farm world events to get better mounts and goodies.
    Negatives:
    -- Raid mechanics are unimaginative. They are challenging which is a plus, but they are very unimaginative and typical.
    -- Only the top 2 players are rewarded with world event tokens. Powerful players can dominate events repeatedly. They need to fix this.
    Agreed. Only the top two players getting rewards that matter discourages some less than DPS classes from even bothering with the world events.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,490
    With open world pvp after level 40, for the majority of WoW players this game is nothing like it. In fact, it would be seen as the exact opposite of what they prefer.

Stop with this WoW latching on. If anything, it looks like Tera on a bad day. 
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    JudgeUK said:
    With open world pvp after level 40, for the majority of WoW players this game is nothing like it. In fact, it would be seen as the exact opposite of what they prefer.
    Stop with this WoW latching on. If anything, it looks like Tera on a bad day. 
    It is very much like early 2 faction WoW player interaction.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    edited March 2016
    Somewhere I read that the game will have also PVE  servers. I like the review as well, my only problem so far withe the game is the size of the text, very small for older players.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• AbaxialAbaxial Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Somewhere I read that the game will have also PVE  servers. I like the review as well, my only problem so far withe the game is the size of the text, very small for older players.

You are missing nothing :)
    Not going to happen. The player population is very low and adding additional servers at this point would just split the people even further than the factions already do. I wish the latency would not be an issue otherwise it would be nice to have one server for both the US and the EU market.

Also, as much as I enjoy the game some may be surprised I scored it a 7.5 after my praise in posts about the game. Some may have thought I would have scored it higher.

Only 2 games scored above an 8.5 for me.
    WOW (vanilla) 7.5
    EQ2 an 8.5
    Lineage an 8.5
    Asheron's Call a 9 (Asheron's Call remains the best MMO ever made in my book)

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,197
    I'm not sure how you can play this and not feel like its a wow clone?...The artwork and colors look just like WoW.....To me it feels like Ive already played it even though its new.....Also I have no interest in open world pvp after 40, if I even make it that far.
  • cybersrscybersrs Member UncommonPosts: 180
    I'm getting this error "Over login fail count"... already tried making new account, still getting this error. Any idea? I can't open a ticket, because I can't login in the webzen website.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Sounds like Rift. 
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,871
    Sadly, the game doesn't really have much longevity but honestly not many faction based games to anymore.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    heh, just tried this one too.  Not a bad game.  Saw only one player in the starting area.  Kinda fun if you do not have a mmorpg you currently play.  Ill stick to Lord of the rings though.  Good population.  Awesome crafting :-D
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Uhhh if they wanna make ow-pvp a thing maybe they should do something about the 2 factions. I mean come on, is this an oversight or is this an oversight?
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    shalissar said:
    Uhhh if they wanna make ow-pvp a thing maybe they should do something about the 2 factions. I mean come on, is this an oversight or is this an oversight?
    You need factions for owpvp.  It is one of the necessary ingredients.  Without it you have to do punishment system and all that bologna.  Then you end up with total chaos and dying servers with only a few people who are in guilds.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • KudoseoKudoseo Member CommonPosts: 5
    ASTA Online

Asta Online is dubbed as the Asian World of Warcraft and with good reason. The game plays much like the Blizzard Giant and in my opinion that is not a bad thing. Why? Keep reading....no seriously, keep reading...don't click away people! I set aside IP man 2 to write this! Anyway back to it....

I heard ASTA will be released on Steam at April, 2017 again. GOOD!!