Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"EverQuest Next Killed The MMORPG"

Comments

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    edited March 2016
    Bullshit, its everyone chasing the same damn dollar that hurt the industry along with poor game designers and too many damn pencil pushers not doing their damn job and marketing what the creatives make. EQN has nothing to do with this at all.

Making the same shit over and over again don't make that shit taste like pancakes all of a sudden, no matter how many times you do it.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Tell the damn accountants to get the fuck out of the office when we are creating and do what they do and market my game.

And make them read Blue Ocean Strategy while you're at it.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Quirhid said:
    ...or you could take a break? There are other games besides MMORPGs.
    Heresy infidel, burn the witch, other games indeed.  :p

There can be only one

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Kyleran said:
    Quirhid said:

There can be only one
    I'm quite happy since I "rediscovered" single player games. Haven't touched an MMO in 4 years.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Quirhid said:
    Kyleran said:
    Quirhid said:

There can be only one
    I'm quite happy since I "rediscovered" single player games. Haven't touched an MMO in 4 years.
    And yet, here you are. I guess there is no non-mmorpg.com out there to fill your need to discuss the things that you actually do play?

It's a weird nostalgic (I guess) attraction this site has for those who no longer play MMOs.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Bruhza said:
    That post is a good example of why people shouldn't get excited for "the next best thing" and instead find it in the list of hundreds of MMO's that we already have.

This hype train crap needs to stop.
    i agree 100% and along with games that have been out and running / playing for almost a year saying "its still beta" ..stop all the "fund me nonsense" and give me a finished project or dont bother..games and footage being released now of over hyped games today and the devs saying it wont be ready or released untill 3 more years from now -_-  or at all if lucky..

• OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Iselin said:
    Quirhid said:
    Kyleran said:
    Quirhid said:

There can be only one
    And yet, here you are. I guess there is no non-mmorpg.com out there to fill your need to discuss the things that you actually do play?

It's a weird nostalgic (I guess) attraction this site has for those who no longer play MMOs.
    for some people, its fun looking at train wrecks that we weren't involved in. Thus, reading the nerd tears in this forum helps validates why we left the MMOs in the first place.
    Iselin said:
    Quirhid said:
    Kyleran said:
    Quirhid said:

There can be only one

for some people, its fun looking at train wrecks that we weren't involved in. Thus, reading the nerd tears in this forum helps validates why we left the MMOs in the first place.
    That's sort of like second hand enjoyment from a distance... does that take courage?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Quirhid said:
    Kyleran said:
    Quirhid said:

There can be only one

That's sort of like second hand enjoyment from a distance... does that take courage?
    No, but it's fun to watch in a video game where no one really gets hurt sometimes.  It's often more entertainmenting then the standard RPG fare story they put in games now.  It can be fun to watch someone pulling a train and people running around trying to get away, someone falling off a boat because of a bug, or any number of bad things that occur in game on occasion.  Real life is another matter.
    Iselin said:
    Quirhid said:
    Kyleran said:
    Quirhid said:

There can be only one

You saying I shouldn't be reading or posting on these forums since I am not currently playing any MMORPGs?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Quirhid said:

You saying I shouldn't be reading or posting on these forums since I am not currently playing any MMORPGs?
    I think that is just silly.

One does not have to enjoy playing a game to enjoy discussing about it. Lots of people here enjoy pointing out flaws of games.

Plus, this site is clearly not about mmorpgs anymore. If you play mmo-hybrid games like The Division, it is good enough. 
    Quirhid said:
    Iselin said:
    Quirhid said:
    Kyleran said:
    Quirhid said:

There can be only one

It's a free internet, you can do what you want. I just find it interesting that those who don't do a thing any longer can't seem to move on and just become irrelevant critics of that thing they no longer do.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Flyte27 said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Quirhid said:
    Kyleran said:
    Quirhid said:

There can be only one

No, but it's fun to watch in a video game where no one really gets hurt sometimes.  It's often more entertainmenting then the standard RPG fare story they put in games now.  It can be fun to watch someone pulling a train and people running around trying to get away, someone falling off a boat because of a bug, or any number of bad things that occur in game on occasion.  Real life is another matter.
    It's called schadenfreude... figures the Germans would have made up a word for it.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Iselin said:
    Quirhid said:
    It's a free internet, you can do what you want. I just find it interesting that those who don't do a thing any longer can't seem to move on and just become irrelevant critics of that thing they no longer do.

It does seem to be a bit of a thing around here, that's for sure. I've always found it kind of interesting and odd at the same time. It's certainly not like this is something I'd call a healthy community or anything, lol.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Iselin said:

It is as interesting to observe people trying to dissect why other posts, as opposed to accept that there is some fun in online debates.
    Iselin said:

It is as interesting to observe people trying to dissect why other posts, as opposed to accept that there is some fun in online debates.
    Well one of my contribution to this debate is a kind of reality check for those who think their observations about something they don't do carry equal weight to what those who still do that thing contribute.

Just a bit of common sense really.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    edited March 2016
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

Well one of my contribution to this debate is a kind of reality check for those who think their observations about something they don't do carry equal weight to what those who still do that thing contribute.

Right?.....like 90% of these forums!!!!....I swear from reading these forums, none of them play MMORPGs anymore.  They seem to think they are the be all end all of MMORPGs.
  • kemono55kemono55 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

Right?.....like 90% of these forums!!!!....I swear from reading these forums, none of them play MMORPGs anymore.  They seem to think they are the be all end all of MMORPGs.
    I play Street Fighter,

I think the problem is that I don't consider it an mmorpg, but by definition it is an mmorpg.
    So the reply here would be that there hasn't been a proper mmorpg made for several years,
    unless you count all the mmorpg-likes.
    kemono55 said:

I think the problem is that I don't consider it an mmorpg, but by definition it is an mmorpg.
    So the reply here would be that there hasn't been a proper mmorpg made for several years,
    It is not a problem. It is a good thing. 

If this site has to stick to "proper" MMORPGs, it probably would die long time ago. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    kemono55 said:

If this site has to stick to "proper" MMORPGs, it probably would die long time ago. 
    You say that as if it would be a bad thing.

Likely something better would rise from the ashes.

:p 

[yeah, I just want to see the world burn] 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Iselin said:
    Quirhid said:
    Iselin said:
    Quirhid said:
    Kyleran said:
    Quirhid said:

There can be only one

Did I say I'm not going to play MMORPGs ever again?

This guy...

Kyleran said:
    kemono55 said:

"better" is subjective. I think MMOs are already morphed into a much better genre with games like The Division.

It is great that the industry shun the old UO and EQ type design .. with more convenient features and became better games (like WoW), and now it is even better with more focused online games with fun combat.

So from my perspective, "proper" mmorpgs are just not great games. New modern variations are better.
    Kyleran said:
    kemono55 said:

"better" is subjective. I think MMOs are already morphed into a much better genre with games like The Division.

It is great that the industry shun the old UO and EQ type design .. with more convenient features and became better games (like WoW), and now it is even better with more focused online games with fun combat.

So from my perspective, "proper" mmorpgs are just not great games. New modern variations are better.
    "MMO" is a fallacy at this point. The term is D.E.A.D and meaningless. 

Congrats though on achieving lemming status. You've earned it, homie.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

edited March 2016
    Cecropia said:

meaningless .. yes.

Dead ... really? Just look at how much fun we have talking about it. I would say it is alive and well. Heck, the latest The Division, made $330M in a week. 
    Post edited by nariusseldon on
    edited March 2016
    Cecropia said:

meaningless .. yes.

Dead ... really? Just look at how much fun we have talking about it. I would say it is alive and well. Heck, the latest The Division, made $330 in a week. 
    NVM.

Please delete.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Rhoklaw said:
    I'll be honest, I find games like 7 Days to Die and Ark: Survival Evolved to feel more personal than most MMO's I play. I would also agree that Co-op games are simply better versions of single player RPGs without the need to rely on 1000's of other players to not be sociapathic goobers ruining your fun. Massively Multiplayer is no longer a necessary ingredient to make a successful online game. Granted, MMO's provide a much wider range in variety of players you can meet, it still ultimately comes down to the fact you usually only associate with people in your guild. Which means for a lot of online gamers, you could enjoy a game that focuses on teamwork against a formidable AI opponent. A few games that come to mind, like Mass Effect / Red Dead Redemption with small scale multiplayer capabilities, Borderlands and similar games. If only those types of games received the same kind of ongoing content that MMO's receive.
    This true with themepark games.  Most of these games don't make use of MMO so there's no point beyond match making and coop.