Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Do You Think BDO Has Been So Well Received?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhy Do You Think BDO Has Been So Well Received?

Some friends and I were discussing Black Desert Online earlier this week and we eventually began to chat about the wider genre and how, seemingly, many people have grown tired of the typical formulae surrounding “theme parks”. My brother, who rarely plays MMO’s any longer, asked why I thought Black Desert Online had been so well received.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    It's Pearl Abyss, not Pear. Also, you used login instead of "log in" and into is questionable instead of "logging in to". The term is "log in", whereas login is something different. Anyway, someone should look closer when editing.
  • GahnzoGahnzo Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Jiggle physics.

All joking aside, I think it comes down to the fact that BD does things that other MMO would consider tedious or unnecessary. It is those small additions that make the game world feel more alive. Not to mention it has gorgeous character models and fancy character customization to go with it. As well as a great feeling action combat system that feels more like a spectacle fighter than a MMO.

I have been playing a bit but I am waiting for the Blader class to be implemented before I dive really deep into it.
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    BDO is good because the core ideas are solid...

Give people choices... 
    Make them earn it (work for it not just given)....
    Throw in a mix of activities to distract them...
    Make endgame about PVP...
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Because it feels like playing skyrim but with lots of other people around?

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    "Distracted"

The game is really good at that. I log in planning to do an activity and end up doing something else. I constantly find myself being distracted. Distracted in a good way. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Great article.  Most MMORPGs implement game mechanics that, whether intended or not, promote this pressure filled dynamic to rush to the top.  By doing so they end up doing themselves a disservice because developers will never be able to satisfy the content locusts.  That feeling does not exist in BDO.  Ironically enough, however, those who come into BDO with that type of mind-set, end up not liking it. Often times I've read of players that started out playing BDO with the mind-set brought forward by all of the other past MMORPGs they have played and did not like it, but when they returned to BDO and gave it another chance by playing it with the mind set alluded to in this article they found themselves enjoying BDO a lot more.  The freedom BDO promotes is refreshing.  Let's hope future MMORPGs learn something from it.
  • derfritzderfritz Member UncommonPosts: 46
    edited March 2016
    I think it's mostly because they focus on aspects that are heavily lacking in other MMO's like the attetion to detail and how each activity has a certain depth to it. The world is also fun to explore which rarely ever happens in MMO's imo. As someone who spent hours and hours on MMO's I rarely ever get hooked to MMO's like I am to this one nowadays and knowing there's a bunch of new content upcoming in a short timespan only makes the experience better
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    edited March 2016
    Honestly I have been done with this kind of game for quite a while. Lately I find myself really wanting to try this game! I don't know what it is about it that's taking my interest.

I was on the store page several times debating on springing for the 30 beans to buy the game. I'm close, but still gonna try and hold out for a 7day pass from someone.

****Note****
    THANK YOU Urncaller for the pass. I'm downloading the game at this very moment. Nice!
    Post edited by Deathenger on

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    It ticks a lot of boxes when you think on an MMORPG. 

Big world, day/night cycle, regions are different, starting area's are still worth visiting, character customization, good selection of classes, fishing.

Nice game, not perfect by any means but it certainly does scratch an itch. 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    it was well received? like arche age?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    edited March 2016
    My only nagging problem is the opposite of Lewis', I think, I mainly have an hour or two to play at a time, perhaps 2-3 hours a day. I feel like I log in and I'm not accomplishing anything because I have 5 things to do sometimes to get one thing done.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited March 2016
    Loving this game.  I didn't expect much out of the game and have been really pleasantly surprised.  I'm actually shocked it isn't being praised more.  Finally an MMO that isn't a no freedom linear quest hub themepark...that has been done with real attention to detail.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    For me it's about the weather and no fast travel. It sounds weird, but there's something about the immersion of the world that makes you want to invest in it.
  • kemono55kemono55 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    edited March 2016
    Like somone said earlier, it feels like playing a variant of Skyrim as mmo.

I think this is partially true,
    and I can agree with those saying that some (read: a lot) of the attraction to this game is by the numerous choices you have on what to spend your time on.
    You want to do this small task that takes 30 minutes,
    but end up spending hours on completely different things.

To my own degree, I like this game! (I even want to log in now as I type this).
    But at the same time, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm getting into.

I don't presume this is a game that is going to stay with me for very long,
    and I absolutely don't think this is going to last more than a couple of years before being forgotten.
    It is just not polished enough in the areas important for an mmo, the social aspects.
    And it is just not polished enough to compete with single player games in what single player games do.

On top of that, a quick dive into how the community look like,
    and if you manage to keep half an eye open on some of the things said in game.
    You know that this is not an mature community,
    and you have desire to interact with this community.

Also there is a pretty high chance to of this turning into an "archage" or a endgame pk fest,
    neither of which I have any desire to play.

But for now.. I'm enjoying it, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I think the biggest reason is people feel free to do what they feel like doing, they're not being funneled down a path they don't want to take.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Distopia said:
    I think the biggest reason is people feel free to do what they feel like doing, they're not being funneled down a path they don't want to take.
    Agreed.  The game's scope isn't designed for one type of experience at one time.
  • Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    For every 'freedom' and 'choice' it also takes away and restricts.  

It's a pretty good game,..and at a god time too. I, for one, am burnt out on the current crop of MMOs recently. And this one does alot right.     A lot right, mechanically.

It lacks 'soul' , imho. If we could pull all the 'social' and RP tools from say, Lotro, and mix it in BDO, I think it would be amazing and instantly garner longevity.

As it is now,..it is a solid time waster. Go through the motions. Grind mobs, PvP over grinding spots., get your bars up.  

There is just a drought of decent recent MMO's. 

$30 bucks is worth it for BDO, imho.  As mentioned , you create your own pace.
  • Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    kemono55 said:

You know that this is not an mature community,

^^^

so much this.  it's the wild wild weebo west. Closing chat is the way to go.  And gives you more screen space to boot.  And their official forums are no better.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    It took an asian studio to do what no western studio had the balls to. Getting off of the WoW formula already, give people choices instead of controlling every damn thing, give them a game that makes them use their brains for what they are doing.

Instead of catering to the brainwashed "gogogo!!11" masses, BDO requires you to THINK and DECIDE. I can only laugh my butt off about those idiots who rushed to max level like they do in every other WoW clone only to find their character missing stats left and right.

For once the journey has a meaning again and you can even put your own flavor to it. Stuff that happens in both PvE and PvP means something again.
    Instead of handholding, Pearl Abyss trusts in their players' mental capabilities to actually figure things out and a playerbase that has been taken for fools by the industrie for 10 years appreciates to be taken serious again.

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    It feels new and does what it does well.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    bit early to start praising the game no? from what i understand it's been out for a couple of years in Asia and it got a lot of stuff missing that they got over there.. or am i mistaken?

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208
    I'm glad i got a 7 day key from a friend. This is one of the worst MMO's i have ever played.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Is to early to be praising yet, as I see it. When the cash shop sink in more soon people will hate it.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    gotta love the title.....that old trick .....

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265
    To me the game feels like they took a first person shooter, added an console style aim assistant, then decided that the rest of the game was supposed to be single player because they can't afford to pay a GM service team.

The PVP is fun, the graphics are nice, but that's about it. If it wasn't for the interessting pvp fights I would be gone already.
    LFG!