Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Catacombs and the overpowered(?) undead thing

Catacombs, the newest expansion from Mythic Entertainment to the players of Dark Age of Camelot. Strong new charicters were introducted to the players of this game. Some of the players learned how to deal with these new strong classes. Some players actualy made strategies of how to beat these new enemies, maybe even making one to learn the weaknesses of their foes. Sadly, there are other players who, while standing on top of a Hibernian bridge in Thidranki, decided to scream "OMG WTF VAMPIIR JUST KILLED 2 PEOPLE AT ONCE OMG WTF MYTHIC NERF PLZZ!!!!"

Ok then lets get down to analyzing that which is the Vampiir. the most common and easiest specialization is, form my personal experiances, 43piercing and 49Shadow mastery. Lets just keep this within that specialization then. Vampiir who spec this way recieve, a deadly move called Eyeshot, a 200damage(delve) claw a debilitating Endurance tap and an evil Heal over Time spell. This would make the vamp disgustingly overpowered if mythic didn't take their time to carefully develop and limit this charicter. (the following deals with alot of numbers realy fast but just try and follow) All Vampiir have automaticly depleating power pools, about 2-4% a tic. However they still can maintain about 15% power. If they could not, they would most certainly die every battle. A vampiir's HOT spell costs about 10% of their power and their Heat claw costs about 7%. So, if say fighting a pure tank (class without power) they cannot use a leech bolt (attack which directly saps power) So a vampiir has only 15% to start the battle with. Most vamps will quickly use an endurance tap, This will take about 10% power from the vamp, fill his endurance bar, and leave the tank with about 15-30%endurance (approx), which leaves the vamp with 5% power. This is not enough for the despirately needed HOT spell or the handy Heat Claw. The only way for a vamp to get the upperhand in this situation is by employing a melee strike, which restores about 3-5% power to the vampiir. However the tank unsuprisingly uses a nice and juicy 7 second shield stun on the vampiir, and starts to lay into the vamp who does not have a health regen running, and remember, he is wearing only a thin layer of leather armor. The tank has lost a GOOD deal of endurance though and can only rattle off one or two styles. (at this point he could just drink an endo pot but lets put that aside) The vamp, tired, bruised, and desperate NEEDS to feast on some power. The stun has warn off and the vamp NEEDS to make a melee strike on the tank for power. This tank as hinted earlier by the shield stun is a shield tank, good defenses, can block easy, and the vamp has a reletivly low weapon skill, decreasing his ability not to be blocked. His attack as you guessed it, is blocked, twice in fact, (poor fella) And he still cannot put up his health regen. Saddened, defeated, the vamp moans, and gargles, as he falls to the ground, arms flailing. The vampiir pounds on his keyboard and says "WHAT? I thought vamps were industractable because I saw one take out 2 charicters on Hibernia bridge in Thid and he still had 98% health left! This game is so dumb!"

Stun my friends is the Vamps worst nightmare, realy its as easy as that, disable them and kill them. You can use a minstrels 9 second stun or a tanks 7 second shield stun, or heck you can just nuke and root and repeat. Vamps are tough sure, but you can take them down, and relativly easy if you know what you are doing. If a vamp goes against 2 or 3 people and wins, either the Vamp plotted and planed and knew exactly what to do or you just didn't see it coming or lagged into a wall.

"VAMPS GET CHARGE AND PURGE WTF MAN!?!"

Not most of them buy it for bg (which is where vamps are most notorious)  suprisingly enough. By the time some of them do they are usualy in mainstream RVR where they are targeted by zounds of vamp haters and thusly nuked or pwned.

Just for the record I am an Alb, have been for 2 years, only play other realms for kicks. I do not therefore have a bias on vamps nor are they my favorite charicter.

Edit: Oh and mythic has listened the players who cried nerf and nerfed the Vampiir's Speed, Claw, and HOT yet people are STILL complaining

Comments

• BlittzzBlittzz Member Posts: 261

damn, u did your homework manimage nice jobimage

but i have to agree with you, everyone is screaming to nerf vamps even though when they fight one they use NO tactics whatsoever, they just run in and expect to win, and its rediculous. now ill admit vamps are hard as hell to kill, but with the right tactics, they arent that bad. ppl need to stop screaming NERF and start using tactics and exploiting weaknesses

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509
    damn... there's vampires in this game ? I really gotta try it out image
  • HaygarthHaygarth Member Posts: 5
  • ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by shae

Vampiir is a class. Not a "racial" choice so to speak. They are casters.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Originally posted by Fadeus

Originally posted by shae

Vampiir is a class. Not a "racial" choice so to speak. They are casters.

No they are a hybrid light tank. 
  • ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by JulianDracos
    Originally posted by Fadeus Originally posted by shaedamn... there's vampires in this game ? I really gotta try it out imageVampiir is a class. Not a "racial" choice so to speak. They are casters.No they are a hybrid light tank.

Ah, well there ya go. I haven't played in quite awhile even though I keep my sub active. Thanks for correcting me on that Julian. I haven't seen you post in awhile...

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• DrAtomicDrAtomic Member Posts: 281

Contrary to what most people are saying I have quite the opposite feeling about Vampiirs, at level 50 I feel that they are underpowered or at least not much use to an 8. Yes, they do well solo-ing in places where there is a good chance to encounter buffless peepz such as POC.

A Vamp vs. most unbuffed classes except for tanks/infils = Vamp has good or superior chance to win.

A Vamp vs. most fully buffed classes = Vamp has minor chance to win.

I have grouped plenty of Vamps and none of them performed good enough to actually add something to the group or even be usefull enough to consider them for future groups.

My conclusion is that Vamps are a solo/duo/trio class and that they are properly equipped for that task.

The people that scream about Vamps being overpowered are indeed the ones that were unbuffed or unbuffed and walking the dead mans walk in a BG at 4 levels lower then a Vamp and certainly didnt try them.

Well... that was a kinda long way to saying great post to the OP, glad to see there are people who can look beyond a single kill.

Cheers!

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

There is a LW champion in my guild.  Even without buffs at level 50 he has managed to have almost as many hits as my vamp.  When buffed he has more.  Vamps can't get buffed so we are stuck with what we got. 

Further 1x1 fights seldom happen.  Even if you are fighting and winning a couple infs of gank you during the fight or a fire wizzy will nuke you a few times. 

Vamps have about as much use and utility as a Blademaster.  The only thing that vamps get is the ability to climb walls (not very useful in NF) and can see for a whole 1 min stealthers. 

• GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493

Oh yah stuns works awsome against Vamps unlike all the other classes that stun doesnt seem to work on.........................

Vamps are nice but at 50 they are more balanced... If you are buffed. Its a FOTM class thats there to draw in more players.

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

• dfiresteindfirestein Member Posts: 2

Vampiir are really overrated when it comes to real RvR. Albion can easily kill them with shield/evade tanks, crush mercs, theurgist ice pets (snare is unpleasant) or air pets (stun ftw), etc. Midgard can kill them with thane lightning spam (when I played my Vampiir, fairly often I'd step out of the gates to attack and get hit by at least five bolts of lightning. That kind of stings...and then the hammer thanes would pound me to pulp), Warlock chamber spells, and I'm sure they have other classes that can take down Vampiirs (I'm not very familiar with Midgard, never played there).