Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any PVE-Sandbox MMOs or Co-Op games (that aren't minecraft) out there?

13»

Comments

• MsFitMsFit Member UncommonPosts: 30

Skysaga is fun and I also enjoy Linkrealms. Neither has been fully released yet though.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182
    DMKano said:
    There are no MMO sandbox games in existence.  There are many with some sandbox features but no actual full blown online sandbox exists.

Like BDO being called a sandbox - lol, or EQ1 vanilla heh, people play something a bit different than WoW and conclude well this is not the same so must be a sandbox. 

Just because some online games give players a higher degree of freedom or more activities outside of gearing up an leveling - it doesn't make them sandbox games. 

Sandboxes have no pre-set progression systems period, again look at Minecraft - no skills to rank up or unlock,  no quests to progress, no tasks to complete, no crafting to level up, no mob levels, it's just you being dropped in the world that you can shape as you see fit.

Ask yourself - doest this game give me sufficient  tools to shape all aspects of gameplay as I want? If the answer is no - you are not playing a sandbox.

Minecraft wasn't the first sanbox, the word itself came into play in gaming to describe free build modes in RTS games and the like. It simply meant you were free to do what you like with no timers, missions, etc.. guiding your path or limiting you ... It has nothing to do with progression, or anything else you laid out here. It simply means freeform game-play. EVen in RTS sandbox modes progression could still apply, most rules still applied in the form of prerequisites needed to build this or that, so I'm not sure where you get the idea progression is out the window in a sandbox. "look at minecraft" Minecraft has little to do with this...It's simply one in hundreds of sandbox games that all offer different things.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• knight1479knight1479 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited April 2016
    What about Runescape? 

To be honest I haven't played in a couple years, but quests are optional and you can gather and craft to your heart's content.  You can pretty much stay at level 3 and have extremely high crafting skills, if that's your choice.  I've only played membership free, so certain areas were blocked off and certain crafting abilities, but I didn't mind.  There were still plenty of things to do.  I really enjoyed the quirky quests and sense of humor the game has. 

Anyway, those are my two cents.
  • MikePtMikePt Member UncommonPosts: 47
    ARK Survival Evolved (Multiplayer PVPmostly  with some Survival RPG features  lot of fun!!!! Skill  Experience based )
    Conan Exile Survival MMORPG alpha test possible this summer
    CoE Very deep mmo RPG with survival concepts - but it's is early stage of development 

All 3 have advanced building mechanics  I mean build house base with blue prints

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    there are more co-op personal server based open world crafting games now then in all the years of gaming going back to 1980 combined I bet.

a metric F ton basically

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    You can try Ascent the space game, an indie game that is pretty fun, with a very dedicated in game community, you can get it in Steam.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• TheAmirTheAmir Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Thanks all. Again, I've got 0 interest in PVP-centric or survival/indie/early access scammy games - so ARK and its ilk are definitely not my thing.

• Jixen9Jixen9 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    edited April 2016
    I am into the same kind of gaming you are,. there arent many big name MMOs out there like that atm.. but as of right now i am playing WURM Unlimited. Wurm Unlimited is by far the most hardcore indepth sandbox/crafting/house building/decorating/exploring/with teamwork too game out there. Basically you find a server you like, most maps are different, the one im on is massive , like 5 hours to get across massive. what you do is you join game, go out and explore,find a piece of land you like, and start cuttiing down trees n shrubs, put up a tent and a fire and start doing stuff,, locate ore,forage, carpentry etc, like i said , its more indepth then any crafting game out there, trust me.i can literally go on and on about it but if you were interested,feel free to message me here and i can give u the info for the server i play on, im starting a village of my own with a friend also and could def help out anyone new.oh and idk why its called Wurm, but i doesnt matter bc its fun.. its on steam btw.and you want Wurm Unlimited,, not Wurm Online... they r from same company, Unlimited is just more new and there is a lot of unexplored land across all the servers ,, Wurm online has been out for a long time so its not that easy to find a place to set up camp these days, plus its has a different server system.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,677
    ukerko said:
    MMO sandboxes:
    Salem
    Haven & Hearth
    Wurm Online
    Life is Feudal

MMO sandboxes 'but':
    Project Gorgon - still unfinished
    Mortal Online - might be about PvP
    Archeage - mix of questhub and housing-fishing-planting

RPG sandboxes:
    Don't Starve
    Salt
    Stardew Valley
    Ugh is this is the best sandboxes the genre has to offer no wonder its been a disaster.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member RarePosts: 6,590
    Istaria
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,876
    Runescape just launched new client that is not Java !

Necro-ing thread to see if anything new has been coming down the pipes that's PVE-centric and has a lot of sandbox elements rather than a traditional hand-holdy themepark, with minimal or voluntary PVP emphasis

• TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,880
    edited December 2016
    TheAmir said:
    Necro-ing thread to see if anything new has been coming down the pipes that's PVE-centric and has a lot of sandbox elements rather than a traditional hand-holdy themepark, with minimal or voluntary PVP emphasis
    The only sandbox game with a separate PvE only feature I know of currently is Dark & Light. It's supposed to hit Steam Greenlight on the 15th of this month. It's a survival MMO, but not much different than SWG was which in my opinion was a survival game in a way. You needed buffs and downtime to do most things in the game effectively.

It's strange that there are so many sandbox players out there who want PvE sandbox games, and few have answered the call. Snail games with DnL seems to be the only ones I seen actually listening to these players.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,436
    edited December 2016
    Runescape just launched new client that is not Java !
    Runescape was my MMO training wheels. After leaving the game I figured I would simply play a more "adult" version MMO of this game. I left the game in 2006 or so and still looking. I still say the quests in that game are some of the best in any MMO I've played since. Just hard to deal with click to move these days especially considering my carpal tunnel. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 7,373
    UO                             
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,505
    coop mmos?
    secret world, star wars TOR, guild wars 2, elder scrolls online.

no sub required for each of them. just buy and play, they all offer alot of story, and you can play em all in team ^^

sandbox? gl with that :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 7,373
    ohh and no housing , but you could try Eldevin
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,894
    In all seriousness I would totally send you Runescape's way.    It has the mechanics you love, so it's just a matter of dealing with the things you hate...   Speaking of which are you sure you really care about the mechanics you love, because you've been turning down A LOT of viable suggestions.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

BDO was awful. We tried it. I hate FFA PVP enough to avoid that at all costs - no interest in gankers. We tried Worm Unlimited but we don't have 10+ hours a day to devote to that - we have a kid and responsibilities that take up the majority of our day. As for all the themeparks mentioned here - already played them to death and back again - tired of themeparks, but ti seems all the "sandbox" games are FFA PVP garbage. So yeah, I am interested, but I won't delve into a FFA PVP game no matter how interested I am - tried with BDO, it sucked, never again.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I dunno if you ever got Ryzom to work. If not, don't bother

I downloaded it from steam, hopped on. The newbie island (where all new players start) literally had one person in town. That is it. Just one person

I said hi in global chat, no one said anything for 30 minutes and then I got off.

Ryzom is dead. Very sad, because its the only actual PVE sandbox MMO

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Keep an eye out for Dark and Light. They've released hardly anything regarding gameplay but the premise is a MOG (hundreds at a time per server?) survival sandbox but has a pre-made world with cities and a lose storyline, so it's not the typical start with nothing experience. Snail games is smart enough to have seperate PvE and PvP servers which is why I bring it up.
    I'll be watching D&L in that case. As for Ryzom, we did try it - but yeah, it was dead when we logged on, too, and kept crashing to boot.