Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any PVE-Sandbox MMOs or Co-Op games (that aren't minecraft) out there?

TheAmirTheAmir Member UncommonPosts: 433
It seems every new MMO coming out with a sandbox tag is a PVP-centric game, and I have no interest in PVP-centric games. I like sandbox games, or themepark games with a lot of sandbox-type options. But I am -really- sick of the quest hub style MMO game and am wondering if ANYTHING else out there exists in the PVE MMO/RPG genre at this time - that is finished. No early access scam crap, no forced PVP gankfest crap (not my thing at all, I don't mind PVP when I'm in the mood, but I don't want it rammed down my throat).

Crafting, exploring, fishing, housing,  type stuff etc is preferable. Some quests are fine, but not the mindless "rush to level cap" grind that every other MMO seems to be these days. If ANYONE knows of ANY game out there that might be interested, I'd appreciate the reference.

Games I've played and am not currently interested in/are not what I'm looking for (themepark quest hub)

WoW
EQ2
FFXI
FFIXV
ESO
AOC
TERA
GW2
RIFT
TSW
LOTRO
SWTOR
DDO
AION

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,401
    Your post is specifically asking for Black Desert as right now there are no more mmos with that description.

As for non-mmo coop with similar descriptions.... i dont think there is any outside of Minecraft, Terraria, the terraria spinoff in space(forgot the name), and other similar games.

• TheAmirTheAmir Member UncommonPosts: 433
    BDO is PVP-centric. I'll pass, but thank you anyway :)

• irnbru69irnbru69 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    edited March 2016
    star wars galaxies emu or theres a new nge server for swg aswell its having some issues but its a good server when its up, swg legends. Emu is older with a lot more proffesions and a bit more of a npc grind. swg legends is focused more in questing and quest building. You can create your own quests etc and are put on a quest path to begin wtih but the choice in swg is always yours, do w/e

swg is a great game you can build your own house have your own little bit of a planet or join a big city with a guild. The graphics are a bit old now but theres all kinds of mods to upgrade the gfx and also sweet fx.
  • olepiolepi Member RarePosts: 1,433
    Ryzom is pretty old, but still good. No quests, no classes, purely skill-based. PvE and crafting heaven, maybe the best crafting ever. PvP is consensual only.

------------
    2020: 43 years on the Net.

Hm thanks all.

Wow, some AAA developer is missing out on a missed demographic of players, methinks :/ shame all the sandbox stuff is always PVP oriented. I'd love to see a newer PVE sandbox game that isn't an emu of a defunct game (or an ancient MMO limping along). Ah well. I'll check out Ryzom and see if it's all right - I try to avoid emus and private servers, just never have a good experience with those. Wish SWG was still running, I never got to try that one as I was (stupidly) in love with WoW at the time.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    edited March 2016
    Xsyon has a PvE server, and I think Wurm does too.
    Post edited by sunandshadow on
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,401
    TheAmir said:

Welcome. By the way, im specifically a PvE player and BDO is what im playing. All the plus in the game outweigh the pvp that is isolated to max level. But thats fine. I can't think of any other game with the specifications you wanted

I considered checking it out, but between the Asian-style graphics (not my thing), the twitch based combat and the PVP being forced at later levels, I decided it wasn't worth the heartbreak. 

Maybe in the near future someone will jump in and set about to developing a new PVE-sandbox/crafting/exploring style MMO. I can hope so. Until then I'll keep looking.

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408
    TheAmir said:
    I considered checking it out, but between the Asian-style graphics (not my thing), the twitch based combat and the PVP being forced at later levels, I decided it wasn't worth the heartbreak. 

Maybe in the near future someone will jump in and set about to developing a new PVE-sandbox/crafting/exploring style MMO. I can hope so. Until then I'll keep looking.
    What asian style graphics? It's high western realism graphics. Only Asian thing is the sometimes poor translation and gender-lock classes (which is agreeably frustrating, but you can get quite creative with the character creator at least).

In BDO you can totally avoid PvP by switching to quieter channels once you reach high enough level.

Sounds like you don't know much about BDO and are jumping on the few people pouting hate about it. 
  • CeryshenCeryshen Member UncommonPosts: 73
    rmk70 said:
    TheAmir said:

What asian style graphics? It's high western realism graphics. Only Asian thing is the sometimes poor translation and gender-lock classes (which is agreeably frustrating, but you can get quite creative with the character creator at least).

In BDO you can totally avoid PvP by switching to quieter channels once you reach high enough level.

Sounds like you don't know much about BDO and are jumping on the few people pouting hate about it. 

Hate? What's hateful about that?
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Keep an eye on Landmark after next Tuesday/Wednesday. As a small part of a bigger patch they are adding the first iteration of mob placement and pathing on player claims which should open the door to a lot of UGC. You said no early access so the "end of Spring" is when the stated launch will be. Daybreak will host a live stream Tuesday at 11am PDT.

Another title to consider within your parameters is Runescape NXT. I guess it's a whole new client though I haven't played it myself. I'm in the same boat as you, wanting a good PvE sandbox.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,657
    A pve sandbox is what many of these forums posters have been looking for since mmorpgs became themepark some 10 years ago. Some eq expansion in the past was probably the last known pve sandbox. Yeah I believe there is a huge untapped marked with millions of players for such a game, but none has made one yet, and with EqNext down.. shrug.

edited March 2016
    rmk70 said:
    TheAmir said:

Sounds like you don't know much about BDO and are jumping on the few people pouting hate about it. "

I didn't say I hated it, I said I didn't like the Asian (and those graphics ARE very much a Korean art style) art direction, twitch-based combat or forced PVP. Even if you do "switch channels" later on, there's always that chance of someone coming along and ganking when I'm busy doing something else. I'm not into forced PVP, it's not my thing. Nothing hateful about it.  And that's a shame because it sounds like the game has an interesting PVE bent, but I cannot tolerate twitchy combat regardless, or PVP shoved in my face past a certain level. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    olepi said:
    Ryzom is pretty old, but still good. No quests, no classes, purely skill-based. PvE and crafting heaven, maybe the best crafting ever. PvP is consensual only.
    I second that,  it is probably the only MMO PvE sandbox around. There are some sandparks and some PvP sandboxes but Ryzom is the only game I can think of close to what OP is asking for.

Asherons call is a semi sandbox though but it has not aged with dignity and Ryzom is far more of a sandbox. AC was once a great game though.
  • Mighty_PlatypusMighty_Platypus Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Have you tried Trove? Sandbox, crafting, minecraft like. Tons of exploration, and a great game that is just mindless fun. Of course if you have an imagination, and time, you can build some pretty epic stuff in the game world, for all to see.
    Didn't care for Trove - not a fan of the voxel thing. That said, I watched some Ryzom videos - I'm not seeing much sandbox about it yet, but I'll keep digging. So far, it seems everyone is running around doing missions (aka killing stuff via quest style :/ ) and the game is butt ass old ugly (not a game breaking factor for me, but a consideration overall).  

• noodles6966noodles6966 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    project gorgon comes to mind. No quest hubs or hand holding. Do what you want when you want. Tons of stuff to do. Early access now,but free right now until it hits steam
  • IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    rmk70 said:
    With respect, but switching channels to avoid being ganked(PvPing) is quite the shitty way to deal with the problem of player wanting to be PvE.  

To asnwer the OP. I don't really know m8. I personally think there is no good choice out there atm for that type of people like you who dont want to PvP.  
    Maybe try Warframe? It doesnt have exploration, but it's Co-op.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,102
    rmk70 said:
    TheAmir said:

I am guessing he means the outfits and animations. 

I thought BDO was going to be my thing as well but could not  get past the interface and combat mechanics.  It just wasn't for me.  I like the rest of what the game seems to offer but if I can't get past the first bit it likely won't work.  I will give it a shot a gain later.

To the OP:

Xsyon is now free and will scratch your itch if you haven't tried it although that interface could even be worse!
    SWG Emus are good but change the controls to (MMO) as soon as you can.

I am also looking for "that game".

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    I'd recommend SkySaga.  Currently in Alpha testing, very easy to join in as well.

https://www.skysaga.com/en

It is very fun!

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited March 2016
    Wurm Unlimited

that is what I have to say on this subject matter

and sense people are adding Landmark which is a building game where everything you build doesnt have a purpose then I will add to my list:

Rising World

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    SEANMCAD said:
    and sense people are adding Landmark which is a building game where everything you build doesnt have a purpose

Not so much after Monday's update:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/build-softly-and-carry-a-big-stick-combat-is-coming.56205/

It's a start at least and a long time coming. OP said they didn't like voxel based anyhow. One note on that though is that building aside, playing in a voxel world where you dig down for materials like dirt and rock but also veins of ore give a feeling of a palpable 3D world. When thinking voxel some may imagine Minecraft blocky but there are titles such as Landmark that have a smooth mapping voxel world.

2cp

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,206
    I personally liked the pre-combat Landmark more, but if the update will grow into some real, Foundry-esque content creation (like it was discussed in the other thread), then I'm ok with it.
    Besides that, I agree, Amir should at least check Landmark, it's great - and it has circles :wink: (loved that HL video about the Alpha... https://youtu.be/EwNasKkKIz0  )
  • SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 471
    Been looking for the same type for over a year now. Sadly the games that look interesting are either in an underdeveloped state or do not have much population when you log in.

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 737
    TheAmir said:

BDO, like many games that include PvP is promoted as being a "PvP game" by those people that are playing it for that reason. In fact, a huge proportion of the players, probably a majority, including myself, have little to no interest in PvP. It is totally possible to avoid it completely, which is what I intend doing. If you avoid joining a guild or reaching level 45, nobody can attack you. Levels are meaningless unless you want to PvP or spend your time fighting high level monsters. The economy, crafting, fishing etc are open to all without needing high levels. Since your alts are all in the same family and share assets, you can use your lower level alts for many things anyway. No need to raise the level of your main at all beyond a certain point.

The same goes for Archeage. I played that for a year and never needed to get involved with PvP as I stayed in the PvE only areas, which are the majority of them. I spent my time tending my farms, crafting and trading and fishing, which is all I'm interested in doing in a sandbox game. None of my characters ever reached the highest level in that game either as I stopped doing quests very early.

I see someone already mentioned Trove. That's also a fun sandbox game. No mission system but there are daily quests you can do for bonus items and you can spend hours building things if you like that. It's F2P so you might as well try it.