Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Price of Video Game Consoles Adjusted for Inflation

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I remember being a little pinhead and wanting a 3DO so bad.  It was in a game store at the mall and I thought it was so amazing.  Glad I was a little pinhead and couldn't afford a ticket on that boat.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    HTC Vive is not a console nor is Facebook Oculus Rift.

what is this chart up to? why console? what?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Its kinda sad I own 14 of those on the list.  I consider my pong set to be my first console before my atari.
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    From Wikipedia:

"A video game console is a device that outputs a video signal or visual image to display a video game. The term "video game console" is used to distinguish a console machine primarily designed for consumers to use for playing video games in contrast to arcade machines or home computers. It includes home video game consoleshandheld game consolesmicroconsoles and dedicated consoles."
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

The intent is to punch a hole in the arugment that equipment like the Vive and OR are overly expensive, or at least use them to put things in to perspective. (since i know from experience that subtext is not your forte) that is why they are on the list

This have been a good conversation

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562

From Wikipedia:

"A video game console is a device that outputs a video signal or visual image to display a video game. The term "video game console" is used to distinguish a console machine primarily designed for consumers to use for playing video games in contrast to arcade machines or home computers. It includes home video game consoleshandheld game consolesmicroconsoles and dedicated consoles."
    using wiki as your source is like asking a prostitute how to get a STD. you can't use the HTC/occulus/playstation vr without a console/computer. the only thing you could call it is a monitor for your head
    edited March 2016
    tawess said:
    SEANMCAD said:

The intent is to punch a hole in the arugment that equipment like the Vive and OR are overly expensive, or at least use them to put things in to perspective. (since i know from experience that subtext is not your forte) that is why they are on the list
    AH I see...one of THOSE kind of posts because we dont have enough of them already :)

i follow you

posted of course by the same guy who posted a uber monitor that costs well over the price of either of those vr devices

edited March 2016

From Wikipedia:

using wiki as your source is like asking a prostitute how to get a STD. you can't use the HTC/occulus/playstation vr without a console/computer. the only thing you could call it is a monitor for your head

I think he is trying to say is that a monitor with a usb port is a console...ha!

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    And those Neo Geo games cost hundreds of dollars themselves.  Let's all be glad that couldn't catch on.  Don't forget to save $300 each year for your generic AC/CoD annual rehash.

That list actually left off quite a few devices, too.  Though, I don't think any of them had noticeably different prices, so I guess it doesn't matter.

But, frankly, I'm with SEAN and don't consider the VR sets to be "consoles".  They are peripherals.  The ones that are just plain viewing headsets I would go so far as to call little more than evolved monitors, but that's just nit-picking. 
    Regardless, I don't consider any of them to be consoles since none of them actually run the games in the traditional sense.  Really expensive input devices/peripherals.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Well you have Sulon Q but that one is to be honest more a PC than a console 

This have been a good conversation

sometimes before posting subtly how expensive VR headsets are as consoles one might want to put more distance between themselves and this post

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/447759/asus-crams-every-feature-possible-into-its-new-curved-gaming-monitor#latest

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Last i followed them closely SOE said they were selling them at near cost and instead relied on game sales and of course licensing.What was it Xbox was selling the internet connection were they not?
    Basically all thee are doing is running out of ways to compete with each other,geesh who knows maybe even one day you get the console for free but games cost you 120 bucks each,just new gimmicks to try and grind money from consumers.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited March 2016

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SEANMCAD said:
    sometimes before posting subtly how expensive VR headsets are as consoles one might want to put more distance between themselves and this post

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/447759/asus-crams-every-feature-possible-into-its-new-curved-gaming-monitor#latest

Actually I posted this as a reference to how expensive some of the older consoles are in relation to the present ones. I did not create the chart nor have an agenda with VR. That is why it is listed under Console games in the forum section. The fact that it includes VR matters not to me.
    whoever did create it had an agenda.

HTV Vive is not a console

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Actually I posted this as a reference to how expensive some of the older consoles are in relation to the present ones. I did not create the chart nor have an agenda with VR. That is why it is listed under Console games in the forum section. The fact that it includes VR matters not to me.
    whoever did create it had an agenda.

HTV Vive is not a console
    Not the point of the post for me. Which is why it is labeled as a console gaming news item and also titled as such.
    fair enough.

can you post the link where you got that image from I am feeling hostile

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited March 2016

fair enough.

can you post the link where you got that image from I am feeling hostile
    http://techraptor.net/content/video-game-console-prices-adjusted-for-inflation

oh this article fires me up. Yet another attempt at destroying the meaning of words: just wait we will see more of this association before much longer

quote from article:
    'Speaking of new consoles, the Oculus Rift and HTC Vine are also high on the list at their announced prices of $600 and $800, respectively. It is possible that twenty years from now, they may both overtake the NEO GEO as the most expensive consoles ever made.'