Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No free to play option?

Comments

• numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670
    edited March 2016
    F2p, IMO, is a move reserved to save a dying game. Some start out that way but it's because it has become a fad. They know they can make a killing before the game dies and are counting on the hype. Subscription is intended for one purpose. To ensure they are in it for the long haul. Will it always be that way? Doubtful. I'm sure once the game has become old news years down the line and is losing too many subscribers it will go F2P.  I hate F2P. It ruins games. It let's you pick and choose your pay to win options. Rich with nothing to do? Let's inflate that ego and let you buy your way to the top. I honestly can't believe it has gone on for so long. The general trend is to hype a new game to ridiculous standards, release it, make cash shop priority pay to win, roll in the dough before the hype dies down and people start complaining, and then live off the dwindling return from the cash shop until it is no longer worth it to keep the game running. There is no passion in that format. Simply greed and business capatalism at its finest.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

The developer doesn't care you cant afford to play computer games, they are not making this game for people like you, but its okay there's plenty of F2P games for you to play.

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Never understood why developers dont just separate the F2P/B2P servers with P2P. P2P players would get it all in game, purchasable by gold, dungeon drops or what have you. While those in F2P can pay to have it delivered to their mailbox as usual. So long as they remain isolated from each other (no transfers, cross server grouping or pvp) I couldnt care less what someone has on another server or how he got it.

Its the best of both worlds.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Luiden said:
    The day they go F2P/P2W is the day I cancel.  Not going to deal with yet another subscription based game moving to a different model because of greed.  I don't even want trial players in the game or free for the first 10 levels crap, forget that nonsense.  You want to play the game then pay the purchase price of it.  If you want to see what the game is like read the reviews and watch it on Twitch, that's all you need to make a decision about the game.

In today's world there is no reason for a trial option and the business models associated with F2P/P2W are proving themselves as a failure.  It's time to shift back to a subscription based model and allow players play the game and earn their rewards through playing, not through paying.
    Its usually not because of greed its to stay in business.....To be hones I have no interest if it doesnt have some sort of f2p option
  • GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    What they need to do is.....

Create a damn good game and gain lots of loyal subs via word of mouth like the good old days of gaming. Not just get an initial following because of a trailer with lots of boobs, ass and special effects. 
    Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187
    To be hones I have no interest if it doesnt have some sort of f2p option
    To be honest I have no interest if it does have some sort of f2p option as that will mean a major promise to the Backers has been reversed,

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    TigsKC said:
    To be hones I have no interest if it doesnt have some sort of f2p option
    To be honest I have no interest if it does have some sort of f2p option as that will mean a major promise to the Backers has been reversed,

• DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Full blown MMO games probably work better on subscription. Only "serious" players. However World of Warcraft had plenty of gold farming but I think that's more indicative of a failure in the way the economy works

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Cash shops are a disgusting cancer. Long live the subsciption!

#notevencosmetics

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Agreed. Cash shops suck.
    Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Unless it's changed, it was estimated it will be around $7/month.  That was a long time ago though....

Well, at least here is MJ saying it'll probably be lower than $15/month  https://www.reddit.com/r/CamelotUnchained/comments/3prvgu/monthly_sub/

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,697
    Being a PvP focused game, the important thing is that there are loads of players, otherwise you can't PvP and can't progress. However, I'd much rather have a smaller, stable population (P2P) than a larger fluctuating playerbase (F2P) as it is more fun to develop long term rivalries and friendships. 

Also, I think dropping the sub-price might be a good long term solution. Like, launch at $15 and try to keep development going as long as possible, but if population drops too much that they can't continue funding new xpacs, then lower the sub to like $5 or something to bring in new blood and keep existing players subbed for longer. Still won't be able to fund all the dev work they want, but it'll keep the game alive whilst still keeping out the leeches. 
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049
    edited March 2016
    They have been doing okay all these years. Why would they piss off their player base by changing it to F2P?
    Chamber of Chains
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    F2P players are horrible...I despise that payment model 
  • nickelsig229nickelsig229 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I don't think everyone posting in this thread understands what is going on here.

CU isn't anything like current MMO's. The systems and design of the game are all based on long term goals and meaningful relationships. If you want to max level and jump in and out of arena's this isn't for you. It will require time and relationships to succeed. You can not go this game alone.

This game is about spending time, a lot of time, developing a character, friendships within your guild and realm, and relationships with people from other realms. Politics have a serious part to play here, as well as your own personal maturity and attitude. If your a jackass, your going to have a hard time playing here. The reliance on other players is too deep for someone with nothing to loose to come in an prosper.

Having a f2p will infuse a careless attitude and that is something the game simply can not withstand. It requires a commitment of the players, and one of the most effective ways for players to see other players commitment is the fact that everyone is paying a fee.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Kayo83 said:
    Never understood why developers dont just separate the F2P/B2P servers with P2P. P2P players would get it all in game, purchasable by gold, dungeon drops or what have you. While those in F2P can pay to have it delivered to their mailbox as usual. So long as they remain isolated from each other (no transfers, cross server grouping or pvp) I couldnt care less what someone has on another server or how he got it.

Its the best of both worlds.

Well, one explanation (FYI, not the only one) is mixing them together is an advantage to those who are paying to support the game.  This might give some of the f2p players an incentive to start paying.  It is about money after all and f2p players are not spending money.  They don't deserve a special server of their own.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    Since when did we decide that we MUST give playing time away for "free". It isn't free anyway you look at it. Someone is paying. It is going to be the subscriber and/or the cash shop buyer and/or the box purchase price. If I pay why should someone else benefit and play free? If anyone thinks I should have to pay while they play for free, then I will not pay and who benefits then? Or should I say who suffers then? If you can afford to play...you are welcome to play. If you can't afford to pay....get a job.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    People that play free to play games are no loyal playerbase what-so-ever, they roam the market, spreading anti-socal solo gameplay, doesn't possess any form of altruism, they are calculated little farmer minions with little or no social attributes. And it is well known that all free to play games are AAA dog shit, wrapped in cat shit.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Gyva02 said:
    Just going to throw this out there but I'm sure the CU team is already on top of it. If sub games offer a free trial period those free trials need to have their chats disabled so the free accounts can't be used by gold sellers to spam sales. Also trial accounts need to have trade with other players disabled so they cant farm mats or items then pass them off to the one account that is active and can complete item/gold sales.  
    I understand there will be open beta....then subscription to play when the game goes live.Gold sellers will have to buy the game to play. Money is earned by fighting and crafting. Yep...you will actually have to play the game to earn money.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I hate Free2Fail games so I'm really happy this is a sub game.
    The basic builder package is only 35$ and they give you a month sub...

• shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166
    edited April 2016
    I played daoc from 2001 to 2013. I played everything else that came between those years, but nothing came close to daoc.

In Dark Age there was a real community. I knew and had grouped with nearly everyone in my realm by the time i got my first 50. We didn't tolerate spammers, and you NEEDED others to succeed so most people didnt act like douches, and if they did, they quickly fell behind in levels and often had to roll alts in order to start fresh.

I also loved War, until tier 4 city seiges and locking zones. Tier 3 pvp was great and if tier 4 just didnt have the stupid locking mechanism War would have been nearly as good as daoc, even if it did need another faction to make it a proper 3 way pvp game.

Anyway, i prefer the sub model. F2P games arent interested in designing fun games, they are interested in making games that encourage you to spend money, and in order to keep up with the whales you would have to spend a lot more than 15 dollars a month.

15 dollars a month is 50 cents a day. A cup of coffee is 2 dollars. If you cant afford to pay 50 cents a day for a game then you need to get a job, or go mow some lawns or something.

In fact, as someone else said, we paid 15 dollars a month for daoc in 2001, which back them didnt seem excessive for such an amazing game. When i was a kid we had these things called arcades and you could drop 5 dollars in an hour in there playing video games. 20 or 30 dollars a month would be acceptable to me for a game that provided group dependance and pvp like daoc.

Only someone who doesnt understand the effects that cash shops have on game design and content would support the abomination that is f2p.

{Ok i have to confess that there is one excellent F2P game that i have played since it came out in dec 2012 and that is Planetside 2. It has a cash shop but everything there with the exception of camos and vanity items can easily be earned in game.}

{Then again i should add that i dont play ps2 much anymore because imo game design has been adversely affected by the cash shop need to sell weapons that adversely affect game balance.}

• phillyboy7897phillyboy7897 Member CommonPosts: 3
    No F2P ever. No, no, no. Go play Clash of the Clans.

ESO is F2P and is rapidly becoming a piece of garbage because of it.

They just knowingly pushed out a DLC last week that effectively broke PvP on consoles b/c they have to in order to make as much money as possible. They don't care to address the issues w/ the community and most likely have 0 plans to actually fix it.

Their way to make money has moved away from actual game performance and the game being enjoyable. It has moved to 'shiny new, pay us money.'

F2P will always result in this in the end. It can get even worse and end up in pay 2 win situations as well.

Because you want to try the game for free is not a legitimate reason to ensure that the game inevitably becomes a piece of garbage.

BTW thats fine u got beef w/ Mark, but just wondering why you are here then? Just to hate on a game before its released?

It appears this game is the best shot in the near future of enjoyable MMO PvP, and we'll be damned if it goes down the F2P trash-chute, or is damaged by harassment from ppl who had a bad experience in the past.

If you want Mark to prove he's changed you should let him by reserving your judgements and accusations until the game is actually released.

Go flame ESO if you're looking to flame. At least there anyone PvPing will agree w/ you 100%
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    OP the will be a open beta just before launch to allow all to try the game for free.Game will be subscription based....though Mark Jacobs says it will cost less than traditional sub cost.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    F2P is the worst way possible for a company to separate a customer from their money.

Joined - July 2004

• ZubeiiZubeii Member UncommonPosts: 28
    edited April 2016
    There will be an Open Beta to try the game before you buy it. There will also be a trial account you can use a month or so after the game launches.

Also, I am getting tired of people putting all the blame on WAR on MJ. EA is not breathing down his neck this time.
    Post edited by Zubeii on