Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No free to play option?

Comments

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    YashaX said:
    So pay the sub for one month.  That's 30 days to try the game, if you don't like it cancel.  That's what people used to do before f2p came along.
    But it will cost a box price plus sub to play right? So it will be something like $60 (including one month sub) and then about $15/month thereafter?
    Yes, but I'm not sure on the pricing. I'm not sure if they will charge a full $60 for the box. I know they have mentioned before that the sub price might be lower than $15 as well, so it wouldn't surprise me if the box price was a bit lower.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I'm so glad this will not be Free 2 Fail.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I think that $60 package includes beta access.  There is a $35 package which includes one month sub.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Tabmowe said:
    collekt said:
    So pay the sub for one month.  That's 30 days to try the game, if you don't like it cancel.  That's what people used to do before f2p came along.
    But OMG $15 is so much, we can't possibly be asked to spare the price of one meal to play a game for an entire month. I can drop like $8 for a drink at a movie theater or pay a monthly sub for Netflix though, no problem. /sarcasm

I hate the F2P crowd so much.
    Worst thing that ever happened to gaming.
    Netflix should be F2P though :)

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Ledrir said:
    I wonder how many people will pay $15 without some way of trying the game out to see if they like it.
    Twitch is your friend, there will be hundreds of people streaming the game for you to make up your mind.
    Subs allow games to work without P2W cash shops. In a PvP game you don't want a P2W cash shop.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    its funny people here assume a games going to fail because its not free to play? Free to play or pay to play has about zero to do with the payment model and everything to do with the quality of the game and the rate they continue to add in content. Being this is a realm vs realm game designed around that I hardly see this game losing its core playerbase as it will be from players of warhammer online and DAOC and to some extend ESO. People who played these games back in the day would probably welcome the 14.99 sub fee, its much better than over priced no content DLCs and free to play cash shops that neglect content to put stuff in shops. Not to mentioned if this game is good people are going to pony up for the most part. Of course you will have some of the cheap skates from this site and others here saying doom and gloom and rationalize how the game is failing because people go to bed at night or they play at odd hours expecting more people.  
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Being subscription based is one of the reasons I will probably give this game a go. 
    same here!
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Based on some hints, subs will likely be in $10 range.

PS Subs are, in general, helpful against spammers, gold farmers, bots, hackers / cheaters, multiboxers, 10 YOs and all that FTP sexiness.
     W...aaagh?
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    there is no way this game survives without a F2P option and cash shop ....look for it 6-8 months after release
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Scorchien said:
    there is no way this game survives without a F2P option and cash shop ....look for it 6-8 months after release
    Perhaps you're forgetting that this game is entirely crowd funded. I doubt the people who already put down money will back out  because of a sub they've known about the entire time. I also doubt the game will need more than the initial backers playing to be perfectly healthy and profitable.
    This isn't Blizzard, they don't need 300 packed servers to stay afloat.

• galeenergaleener Member UncommonPosts: 9
    YashaX said:
    But it will cost a box price plus sub to play right? So it will be something like $60 (including one month sub) and then about $15/month thereafter?
    Used to be buying the box on a sub game you get 30 days of play with the game.

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     Once again, here are a bunch of people who have not spent any money on helping to make this game come out, wanting to be able to play it for nothing as well. Guess what, the people who supported the game monetarily also voted on a subscription. The old school players of CU don't want to have to deal with a cash shop to play the game. They just want to log in, and have the same chance of being good as anyone else. If you want good gear you play for it, there is no buying gear in a cash shop while being a derp in general and still being able to compete. Same principal as DAoC, if you want to be good, play the game. 

When will you guys figure out that games cost money to make? The people slaving away coding this game need to put food on their tables for their families. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

PS Subs are, in general, helpful against spammers, gold farmers, bots, hackers / cheaters, multiboxers, 10 YOs and all that FTP sexiness.
    I wish that were true but I can't think of one MMO that had a sub that didn't have problems with all that stuff you named.  WoW, Aion, L2, SWG, SWTOR, and others I've played when they had subs all had problems.

One GM in ESO said that some countries get a full refund if their account gets banned.  I do think gold sellers in general make more then enough to pay subs and employ rooms full of botters.  

One gold seller interviewed on youtube received his computer training in the US and returned to his home country to become a gold seller because he said he made more money that way then at a regular industry job. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Scambug said:
    Scorchien said:
    Perhaps you're forgetting that this game is entirely crowd funded. I doubt the people who already put down money will back out  because of a sub they've known about the entire time. I also doubt the game will need more than the initial backers playing to be perfectly healthy and profitable.

I think you are forgetting MJ and his track record , 2.2 million is no where near enough to see his erhmmmm vision to light , he will release a buggy incomplete product lacking in proposed features , and will need to bring in more income to attempt o finish his game .. But the untimley result will be devs spending time and resources producing Cash Shop vainty items instead of fixing the games many bugs , as the backers get further and further disenchanted with his erhmmm vision ....

He couldnt complete Wahammer with the monster EA backing him with nearly unlimited funds...
    edited March 2016
    Scorchien said:
    Scambug said:
    Scorchien said:

I think you are forgetting MJ and his track record , 2.2 million is no where near enough to see his erhmmmm vision to light , he will release a buggy incomplete product lacking in proposed features , and will need to bring in more income to attempt o finish his game .. But the untimley result will be devs spending time and resources producing Cash Shop vainty items instead of fixing the games many bugs , as the backers get further and further disenchanted with his erhmmm vision ....

He couldnt complete Wahammer with the monster EA backing him with nearly unlimited funds...
     DAoC was made on a budget of only $2 million with a much larger team. CU has a smaller more experienced team, with $6 million total budget so far. I'm pretty sure that's enough to make a decent game. Because in the end, people make these games not "the budget", if you hire talented people with a small budget you can achieve the same quality as a non talented team and a huge budget. It's the vision, and the ability to create that vision that matters most. Money is more about time, it prolongs the amount of time they can create without needing more money. A large or small budget doesn't automatically mean quality, or garbage. 

Edit: I think a few people are forgetting that the $3.9 million they show on the website is purely from regular outside backers, there's still $4 million pledged by a combination of Mark Jacobs himself, and a few other wealthy private backers. So the total is almost $8 million for total development cash.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    I think that $60 package includes beta access.  There is a $35 package which includes one month sub.
    the 60$ offer included beta 1 access, which is either running already, or soon to start.
    the 35$ offer has beta 2 which will start after 1, obviously :)

atm the game is in it's base state tho, personally i am eagerly waiting for beta 2 :proud: 

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Realizer said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scambug said:
    Scorchien said:

DAoC was made on a budget of only $2 million with a much larger team. CU has a smaller more experienced team, with $6 million total budget so far. I'm pretty sure that's enough to make a decent game. Because in the end, people make these games not "the budget", if you hire talented people with a small budget you can achieve the same quality as a non talented team and a huge budget. It's the vision, and the ability to create that vision that matters most. Money is more about time, it prolongs the amount of time they can create without needing more money. A large or small budget doesn't automatically mean quality, or garbage. 

Edit: I think a few people are forgetting that the $3.9 million they show on the website is purely from regular outside backers, there's still $4 million pledged by a combination of Mark Jacobs himself, and a few other wealthy private backers. So the total is almost $8 million for total development cash.
    DAoC was made in 1999 .. lol .. you realize those hopes of yours dont project forward to todays market ... Its no where near enough ...
    edited March 2016
    Scorchien said:
    Realizer said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scambug said:
    Scorchien said:

DAoC was made in 1999 .. lol .. you realize those hopes of yours dont project forward to todays market ... Its no where near enough ...
     You do realize that gaming salaries haven't gone up much from 1999 right? The average dev was making about $45K a year, the same holds true now, some of them make upwards of $70k but that's only at AAA companies, and it's also rare. Project managers make more of course, but they always did. Again too many gamers don't understand how money equates to a game. It depends on who you're paying and the quality of work that pay gets you. If you're paying $70k plus a year but your devs suck, you'll go no where, similarly if you pay $40k a year and your devs are amazing, you'll have a great game.

Edit: Ive said this before, but it seems to me many gamers talk as if these companies are putting cash into a vending machine and a game pops out. That's not how it works, individual coders work together to create a game, the money goes to putting food on their families table, not some imaginary game creation robot.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Scorchien said:
    Realizer said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scambug said:
    Scorchien said:

You know what I think.  People like you are the reason MMOs are complete crap.  Because you dont want to spend a dime on anything and you want everything for free.  If CU wants to be P2P tough luck, a lot of true MMO gamers support that model because its the best model.  Dont like it go out side thats free.
    edited March 2016
    danwest58 said:
    Scorchien said:
    Realizer said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scambug said:
    Scorchien said:

You know what I think.  People like you are the reason MMOs are complete crap.  Because you dont want to spend a dime on anything and you want everything for free.  If CU wants to be P2P tough luck, a lot of true MMO gamers support that model because its the best model.  Dont like it go out side thats free.

danwest58 said:
    Scorchien said:
    Realizer said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scambug said:
    Scorchien said:

hmm assuming very good , but you fail miserably , i have been subbed to UO for 18 years and have held a Station Pass with SOE/Daybreak for 10 , spending is no issue , It is just imo that CU will not be abke to succeed without cas shop and f2p model based on todays gamer habits and the devs teams past track record with War
    Scorchien said:
    danwest58 said:
    Scorchien said:
    Realizer said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scambug said:
    Scorchien said:

danwest58 said:
    Scorchien said:
    Realizer said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scambug said:
    Scorchien said:

hmm assuming very good , but you fail miserably , i have been subbed to UO for 18 years and have held a Station Pass with SOE/Daybreak for 10 , spending is no issue , It is just imo that CU will not be abke to succeed without cas shop and f2p model based on todays gamer habits and the devs teams past track record with War
      If you watch the videos Mark has done on this topic, he's said over, and over again, the game is being made for the people who pledged, those people have already pledged knowing that the game will be subscription only, and they asked for it to be that way. They are not trying to build the next wow with millions of players, they are aiming to please the people they built the game for. If you don't like subscriptions that's fine, but DAoC is still making money with a few thousand active accounts each month. Enough to cover overhead at Broadsword and still add new content.

The reason most subscription games fail, is because of huge publishing companies, only seeing value in something that is giving way more profit than needed. CSE has no publisher telling them when to cut the cord, so as long as the subscriptions are paying the bills and enough to keep main devs employed, they will be fine.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

If it was $10 that would be awesome, its the sweet spot for me.
    Yes , mark and his famous videos , he has some very notable Warhammer videos also , promising so much , features and great classes , mechanics and crafting , we were all so hyped , his words were inspiring, and then It released .. broken , void of clsses , entire cities forgotten , features missing and the worst crafting known to the MMO community , then 2 years more of videos and promises .. and failed to deliver any of it , many bugs that were in the CB were still in game at its closing .. and more new bugs .. end game city sieges that brought more bugs .. and broken content ...

But yes Marks videos are(/sarcasm) something to jump at with blind faith ... He needs to prove his words this time ..
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242

I wish that were true but I can't think of one MMO that had a sub that didn't have problems with all that stuff you named.  WoW, Aion, L2, SWG, SWTOR, and others I've played when they had subs all had problems.

One GM in ESO said that some countries get a full refund if their account gets banned.  I do think gold sellers in general make more then enough to pay subs and employ rooms full of botters.  

One gold seller interviewed on youtube received his computer training in the US and returned to his home country to become a gold seller because he said he made more money that way then at a regular industry job. 
    I never said that CU won't have any problems of these kinds.

Realizer said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scambug said:
    Scorchien said:

<snip> CU has a smaller more experienced team, with $6 million total budget so far <snip>
    Based on what I know, the budget is just above $7M (freshly dinged sometime in February - 3.125M from mark & other investors plus the pledgemeter), and I'd say it will land in $9-10M range before launch.
     W...aaagh?
    Scorchien said:
    Yes , mark and his famous videos , he has some very notable Warhammer videos also , promising so much , features and great classes , mechanics and crafting , we were all so hyped , his words were inspiring, and then It released .. broken , void of clsses , entire cities forgotten , features missing and the worst crafting known to the MMO community , then 2 years more of videos and promises .. and failed to deliver any of it , many bugs that were in the CB were still in game at its closing .. and more new bugs .. end game city sieges that brought more bugs .. and broken content ...

But yes Marks videos are(/sarcasm) something to jump at with blind faith ... He needs to prove his words this time ..
     Honestly, I don't think Mark has over-hyped this game in his progress update videos at all. Yes Warhammer had issues, he learned how to not run a game during Warhammer. From what I've seen in all the videos I've watched on CU Mark seems to keep things very real. If there's an issue such as lack of staff ect. He talks about it, and addresses the plan to fix it. Right now it seems they have met most of the major money goals they needed to hit. It also seems they have a decent staff at the moment, hence their decision to crunch till beta. 

We really won't even know much of how the game will play till we get to beta anyway, all the races and classes have been mostly placeholder during alpha. They are now designing the actual classes/races we will get in the final product, minus the polish of course, animation polish comes after fun gameplay is worked out.

To say the game is going to fail at this point would be a shot in the dark, because we don't really know how it's going to turn out yet. It could be amazingly fun, even with subpar graphics, and end up with many more players than projected. Or it could flop, and end up with half the players projected. Either way it turns out the game will stay alive for a while given the business model.  After it's built they could run the game with half the original team, and still probably get small content updates out.

Again for clarification, I'm not saying one way, or the other, if I think the game will make enough money to pump out tons of updates and content.  I'm not sure, but what I am sure about is it shouldn't take much money to keep it running once it launches. If it ends up with a decent amount of players though, it could be great, as long as it's fun.