Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crytek's Video Game Engine Now Free

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I still haven't figured out how I feel about all these engines going "free".

For the most part, I wish these people who are peddling their engine (or other middleware) would get back to making good games instead.
  • mastersam21mastersam21 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    edited March 2016
    In my opinion all the major engines going free has something to do with the rise of indy development teams. Developers can't make excuses about how their engine is holding them back ( SWTOR anyone?). More games, less development time, win win I'd say.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Its a double edged sword. When it used to cost big bucks to get a hold of a decent engine you were at least assured the game would be relatively well built in the end as the development would of needed decent backing just to license the engine.  Meaning they would of had money to also higher decent programmers artists etc.

Now we're just seeing an avalanche of terrible games being made because any amateur can take a stab at game development on a free engine and toss it up on Steam in the Early Access section.

So much noise to sift through these days to find something playable.

• GamerKurisuGamerKurisu Member CommonPosts: 4
    How easy is this to use though? 
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited March 2016
    Torval said:
    All the engines are free with a hitch. Unreal is free until you start making money. Lumberyard is free but you need to use AWS and that is freaking expensive.

Is Cry free like that or more like Unity? I saw mention of the marketplace.
    It's free free, the marketplace is where you can go to sell or buy assets.

CRYENGINE

What's Included?

• The latest version of CRYENGINE with all its features
    • Full Engine Source Code
    • Full commercialization for any games created
    • 100% royalty-free
    • Access to all supported platforms
    • Primed for VR development
    • Buy and sell assets on the Marketplace (no sub = you get 70% of sale price)
    • Access to Learning resources

They offer "subs" for other services..see here  https://www.cryengine.com/get-cryengine/service-packages

I do believe cryengine has a bigger learning curve and it has affected them so I think they are maybe trying to sweeten the pot so to speak.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.