Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying currency in a game. What's it worth?

Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1308/Chronicles-of-Elyria.html

"The game also supports an in-game exchange system allowing people to purchase in-game gold with USD."

Sooo... what do you suppose we purchase with in-game gold? Is an in-game exchange system with other players or just the company? What's the value of the currency? Is there a limit to server volume? If there's 100,000,000 gold in circulation in week 3, and week 5 there is 1 billion gold in circulation, shouldn't this depreciate the cost on the exchange? Will in-game costs adjust for inflation? Will this be regulated? Will there be tax audits? If gold "drops" in game, is the game "minting currency"? Should I call the authorities right now?

Let's think this through.

Comments

• MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    This has actually been removed.
    MMORPG descriptor needs to be updated still.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    That was quick...
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Given the very widespread trend in F2P games of allowing Cash Shop items to be bought with real money and then be sold for ingame gold via the AH, the direct purchase of ingame gold for real money is in some ways more "honest" !

No doubt this method of indirect gold selling is more popular because it "hides" the gold selling and slows down the growth rate of the gold circulating in the game. It's also probably more profitable for the developer in the long run.

If CoE have decided to stop offering direct gold sales, then they are likely switching to the more common way of doing it, as mentioned above.
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Given the very widespread trend in F2P games of allowing Cash Shop items to be bought with real money and then be sold for ingame gold via the AH, the direct purchase of ingame gold for real money is in some ways more "honest" !

No doubt this method of indirect gold selling is more popular because it "hides" the gold selling and slows down the growth rate of the gold circulating in the game. It's also probably more profitable for the developer in the long run.

If CoE have decided to stop offering direct gold sales, then they are likely switching to the more common way of doing it, as mentioned above.
    Actually. COE will be a closed economy. If you want something in-game? You gotta earn it. In-Game. (outside Sparks/Souls)

COE won't be F2P it will be Buy 2 Play with periodical payments (~$30) when you eventually perma-die.

This is a common misunderstood topic and I believe they're gathering questions around this to answer a QnA on this particular topic.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    I guess what you buy it for?