Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does mmorpg.com no longer cover No Man's Sky?

noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
I looked for it but the page seems to have been closed down.

Comments

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    It does seem odd, huh. Even if one's to argue, somehow, it isn't a "mmo" ( whatever passes as an mmo here, sometimes ), still it is at minimum a "rpg", and the site covers those. No clue.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Adjuvant1 said:
    It does seem odd, huh. Even if one's to argue, somehow, it isn't a "mmo" ( whatever passes as an mmo here, sometimes ), still it is at minimum a "rpg", and the site covers those. No clue.
    I don't look at it as an RPG more so a Sim.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited March 2016
    Distopia said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Hmm, is it a sim in the same way Elite:Dangeous could be called a sim?

edit: I honestly don't know because I haven't played NMS. Does it have pvp interaction or quests?
    edited March 2016
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Distopia said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Hmm, is it a sim in the same way Elite:Dangeous could be called a sim?
    I figured they brought in Eite as well as SC because of their "mmo " (multi-player) elements, rather than Sim elements, otherwise there's a bunch of games we should be questioning why they're not here.

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Distopia said:

... there's a bunch of games we should be questioning why they're not here.
    And a bunch why they are here.
    This seems to be commonly accepted from the subreddit, again not personal experience.

"Yes, this is a game. There is gameplay. Many people are misinformed and think you just walk around passively and look at pretty things. That does sound very boring, and it could not be further from the truth. There will be times that are slower for you though. It's important you understand the game isn't "action, action, action!" like many AAA titles that we see. But there are things to do on your journey to the center... or wherever. You don't have to go to the center of the galaxy, but whether you want to or not, here's some things you do while surviving: Collecting resources, combining elements & crafting, upgrading your multitool, ship, and suit, trading with NPC's, bounty hunting, documenting everything you discover in an in-game encyclopedia, learning new languages, piecing together the lore of the universe, jumping through portals to unknown worlds leaving your ship behind, dogs fights in space, creating allies you can call to fight along with you, mining asteroids, jumping into hyperspace, rescuing defenseless convoys (or helping attack them), finding blue prints to new technologies, naming planets and animals, and honestly who knows what else? The developers said they are leaving many aspects for us to discover on our own. Your actions also follow you. When you attacked that trade route with a convoy of ships because you wanted their loot, guess what? You've made their wanted list and they might be hunting you in the future. So when people say "you can do anything", that's not true. What they mean is, you can play the game in a wide variety of styles. Be a pirate, bounty hunger, botanist, trader, explorer... or more? But when you hear 'you can do anything', think instead... there's no menu to choose what role you'll play. You just... go do it."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/49ex7d/what_is_no_mans_sky_my_definitive_fool_proof/

So, that's, like, a sandboxy space rpg.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Honestly, No Man's Sky isn't even multiplayer now.  Read up.  That's a "future" addition.

So NO LONGER MM, nor a RPG.  So... really.
    Adjuvant1 said:
    This seems to be commonly accepted from the subreddit, again not personal experience.

"Yes, this is a game. There is gameplay. Many people are misinformed and think you just walk around passively and look at pretty things. That does sound very boring, and it could not be further from the truth. There will be times that are slower for you though. It's important you understand the game isn't "action, action, action!" like many AAA titles that we see. But there are things to do on your journey to the center... or wherever. You don't have to go to the center of the galaxy, but whether you want to or not, here's some things you do while surviving: Collecting resources, combining elements & crafting, upgrading your multitool, ship, and suit, trading with NPC's, bounty hunting, documenting everything you discover in an in-game encyclopedia, learning new languages, piecing together the lore of the universe, jumping through portals to unknown worlds leaving your ship behind, dogs fights in space, creating allies you can call to fight along with you, mining asteroids, jumping into hyperspace, rescuing defenseless convoys (or helping attack them), finding blue prints to new technologies, naming planets and animals, and honestly who knows what else? The developers said they are leaving many aspects for us to discover on our own. Your actions also follow you. When you attacked that trade route with a convoy of ships because you wanted their loot, guess what? You've made their wanted list and they might be hunting you in the future. So when people say "you can do anything", that's not true. What they mean is, you can play the game in a wide variety of styles. Be a pirate, bounty hunger, botanist, trader, explorer... or more? But when you hear 'you can do anything', think instead... there's no menu to choose what role you'll play. You just... go do it."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/49ex7d/what_is_no_mans_sky_my_definitive_fool_proof/

So, that's, like, a sandboxy space rpg.

Not to interested in a drawn out argument on the subject but most of that sounds like "modern space sim" to me, IE the X-series, etc...

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Ikeda said:
    Honestly, No Man's Sky isn't even multiplayer now.  Read up.  That's a "future" addition.

Is that authoritative? That eventually they will add multiplayer? I hope so,
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Ikeda said:

well sounds like they just need ubisofts PR help to make the game classified as really anything they want it to 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    We'll still cover it a bit, and it has a page here - http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1196/No-Mans-Sky.html

But the new forums limit every game getting its own forum, so that's probably what you're seeing.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    noncley said:
    Ikeda said:

Is that authoritative? That eventually they will add multiplayer? I hope so,
    Well, technically the game is online and everyone plays in the same universe, but with literally billions of planets and each player starting on their own and the rather massive scale and distances etc. they have said the chance of randomly running into another player is something less than 1%.

There is also no way to invite a friend to your game space, though I imagine players are going to figure out how to end up in the same system.

I mean, it's like - you and a friend plan to meet up, but you live in New York and he lives in Tokyo. You can't use cars, boats, airplanes, or trains. 

Is it POSSIBLE to meet up? Sure. Is it likely? Not really. Even if you do, it's going to take a long time...

Welcome to the vastness of a realistically created galaxy!
  • noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    We'll still cover it a bit, and it has a page here - http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1196/No-Mans-Sky.html

But the new forums limit every game getting its own forum, so that's probably what you're seeing.

What does that mean?