Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gender locking, and limited class and or skill tree options, STOP IT!

SirLornSirLorn Member UncommonPosts: 212
This is to all you awesome DEVS.....even if I am going to rant a tad bit, this opener is still sincere.  Being some what of a creative person myself (not comparing to writing code, and designing a game, let alone an IP) I have a lot of respect for what you all do.  

K, that being said, I beg of thee...STOP with the gender locking, and or limited play options, please!  I.E. if you are dead set on your vision, and said vision needs X classes for your vision to be balanced, it is the only option do able in said vision, it's wtf you want, it is your vision.  Then please please don't limit yourself (and US especially) by gender locking these classes!!   

On the subject of 'limited play options' or opinion, if you will, we have moved WAAAAAYYY passed the day when that was the way to develop your classes.  Let's take BDO for example.  Gender locked, limited classes choices.  This IP would have more longevity, IMO, if you were able to mix and match these 'classes' and have both genders.  Now before someone brings up, the ability to add to content releases (new classes \ races) come on, so ALL these races are A sexual?!  

I get the complexities, and or difficulties in actually having a balanced system, the more skill trees, or template possibilities you have in your finished product.   This is almost never right either, but that's no reason to back step into a 'holy trinity' mindset, neither.  

The current trends with Sand-parks isn't going the distance, though.  I am also a firm believer that there are elements that just don't belong if you are making a hybrid.  Especially one more on the sandbox side of the 'scales'.  Thoughts, opinions?  

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    @ Devs Do not listen to the OP. Please make more gender and race locked classes. 

Thanks

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Are there really that many games that have gender lock?

I've stated this argument before, but I think having gender locked classes is a cultural issue.  Throughout history different cultures have had different roles for men and women in society.  Different cultures have also tended towards certain classes/jobs/professions. 

I realize this is modern day and everyone wants to be politically correct, but taking that away can really hurt the interesting nuances of a culture IMO.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited March 2016
    Most of the time gender locking in more about the devs putting themselves into the corner, meaning that it takes just as much work to make a new animation set for a new class as it does for the opposite gender.

If you want to get around it just play games that have a more styled(less realistic) graphics.  Or you could deal with floaty/rubbery/glidy/lack-of-impacty animations that have been the complaint in some more recent MMOs as well.

I'm sure BDO could have made mostly gender neutral animations, but it looks like they wanted to show off character customization more.  

I find it annoying too, but I mostly play sub games or EvE.   So there really aren't "lack of completion" problems where I play.

I kind of expect gender locking, and even model locking(IE: all wizards >50 years old) to become worse in the future.   Since so many more people are getting used to it with MOBA's/Dota-alikes and similar.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,960

MMOs have been "Streamlined" in other words, dumbed down, made small and gameplay cut down. Part of that is reducing classes, reducing graphics needed (one gender classes), reducing skill trees.

Expect more of this not less.

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    @Devs since you're already up, a double martini, stirred, 2 olives, thank you!

Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Genderlocking saves devs money, so they do it...if people keep giving them money, they wont stop lol..
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Sometimes ingenuity is simple, at least on paper...

a blank paper

choose race
    choose sex
    alter appearance

hop into the world
    learn by doing

where are these rpgs...
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Steelhelm said:
    Sometimes ingenuity is simple, at least on paper...

a blank paper

choose race
    choose sex
    alter appearance

hop into the world
    learn by doing

where are these rpgs...
    Try Project Gorgon...  That is exactly what happens.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I'm okay with gender locked classes as long as the variety is there and there's a reason. I'm perfectly okay with valkyries being female-only in Black Desert. I'm not okay with half the available classes at launch being female-only and the rest being split between male-only and both.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Scot said:

MMOs have been "Streamlined" in other words, dumbed down, made small and gameplay cut down. Part of that is reducing classes, reducing graphics needed (one gender classes), reducing skill trees.

Expect more of this not less.

Male or female characters have no difference in stats or abilities so having a class locked to either one is not dumbing the game down. The difference is purely visual.

Then again why would you care since you're just looking for a chance to demonize developers.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

I pity people who refuse to play characters of the opposite sex. Your loss.

• NeverForgetLoveNeverForgetLove Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Quirhid said:
    Its actually the devs loss, cause no money from all the people who are easily satisfied with a simple sex change option for their favorite classes.
  • TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Mario can only be played as an italian plumber! Please devs give me the ability to play as Maria, the spanish business-woman!

/sarcasm
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    SirLorn said:
    This is to all you awesome DEVS.....even if I am going to rant a tad bit, this opener is still sincere.  Being some what of a creative person myself (not comparing to writing code, and designing a game, let alone an IP) I have a lot of respect for what you all do.  

K, that being said, I beg of thee...STOP with the gender locking, and or limited play options, please!  I.E. if you are dead set on your vision, and said vision needs X classes for your vision to be balanced, it is the only option do able in said vision, it's wtf you want, it is your vision.  Then please please don't limit yourself (and US especially) by gender locking these classes!!   

On the subject of 'limited play options' or opinion, if you will, we have moved WAAAAAYYY passed the day when that was the way to develop your classes.  Let's take BDO for example.  Gender locked, limited classes choices.  This IP would have more longevity, IMO, if you were able to mix and match these 'classes' and have both genders.  Now before someone brings up, the ability to add to content releases (new classes \ races) come on, so ALL these races are A sexual?!  

I get the complexities, and or difficulties in actually having a balanced system, the more skill trees, or template possibilities you have in your finished product.   This is almost never right either, but that's no reason to back step into a 'holy trinity' mindset, neither.  

The current trends with Sand-parks isn't going the distance, though.  I am also a firm believer that there are elements that just don't belong if you are making a hybrid.  Especially one more on the sandbox side of the 'scales'.  Thoughts, opinions?  

Is it that your mother never said no to you or that you got everything handed to you?  This generation is weak and can't handle even the smallest disappointments.

Devs please ignore the op.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Tenkousei said:
    Mario can only be played as an italian plumber! Please devs give me the ability to play as Maria, the spanish business-woman!

/sarcasm
    If this was real, how would you pay 70% of a quarter at the arcade?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Quirhid said:
    Its actually the devs loss, cause no money from all the people who are easily satisfied with a simple sex change option for their favorite classes.
    Its not "simple". It takes two sets of everything instead of just one. More if you include the race thing. How do you think assets are made? Do you think an artist just snaps his/her fingers and assets are created instantly?

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    I picture the coding nightmare that comes with allowing players to have unlimited choices.

I picture the deer-caught-in-the-headlights look on all the players when faced with a skill tree that spans 145 different screens.

I picture the delivery timeline on a game that offers unlimited races and classes.

• AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I don't know why people moan so much about gender locked classes i see quite a few streamers playing the oppossite gender even when there isn't gender locking it's not a big deal i can think of other things to worry about.
  • TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114
    edited March 2016
    waynejr2 said:
    Tenkousei said:

/sarcasm
    If this was real, how would you pay 70% of a quarter at the arcade?
    You'd figure a spanish business-woman makes more than an italian plumber. Then again ...

It only becomes a problem when maria can't swat the koopas because she's on maternity leave.

(this will be my last comment on the subject, don't feel like getting my arse banned for misogyny)
  • KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Flyte27 said:
    In the US and EU? No, maybe 20% of mmos (at most) do. In Asia? Yeah, something like 80-90% of them do. (Of the 60-70 or so I've tried/read about.)

Your right, it is a cultural thing. Just like how their male and female genders are almost indistinguishable in many of their games. (They all look/dress female for some reason.) And that's only in their games and anime.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    waynejr2 said:
    SirLorn said:

Is it that your mother never said no to you or that you got everything handed to you?  This generation is weak and can't handle even the smallest disappointments.

Devs please ignore the op.

That's from Cliché 101 class.  Do you have any more advanced cliché design?

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Kazuhiro said:

Your right, it is a cultural thing. Just like how their male and female genders are almost indistinguishable in many of their games. (They all look/dress female for some reason.) And that's only in their games and anime.
    Do they? Or is their sense of "male/female" different from the west? Or do they see it as a balance between male/female?

The whole reason I play games that aren't from the west or watch movies that aren't from the west is to have an experience that "isn't from the west".

There really isn't a point to changing it in my opinion as that just white washes/homogenizes the whole experience.

Now THAT'S "dumbing down".
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Kazuhiro said:
    Flyte27 said:
    In the US and EU? No, maybe 20% of mmos (at most) do. In Asia? Yeah, something like 80-90% of them do. (Of the 60-70 or so I've tried/read about.)

I've watched a fair amount of asian movies and TV shows.  Recently it's been Korean shows mostly.  I notice that men wear a certain type of Robe and hat in the Joseon period.  Usually those men are scholars.  The women wear a dress that looks fairly different and don't often wear a hat and if they do it's not the hat the men wear.  In China both men and women appear to wear very simple cloths that look fairly similar in the country.  Mostly pants and shirts.

It's interesting that Asian games are gender locked a lot.  I haven't actually played very many outside of the ones for Nintendo and Playstation.

I really enjoy the style of clothing from the Joseon time period.  I think it looks really nice.  It's fairly similar to the way Japanese people dress IMO.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I think games start out as a grand idea but along the way become a series of compromises.  With everything that has to work right in a game it's a wonder they get them out at all.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DhaenonDhaenon Member UncommonPosts: 150
    I could get behind the cultural difference thing, but I honestly believe it is all about sex appeal. Sex sales. There are MANY men that play female characters for all kinds of reasons. Why bother making something only a portion of your gaming populace will play? Look at TERA. Every new class has been gender locked as female. Mostly a lot of guys play females and a lot of females play females. Saving money, selling sex... brilliant.