Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Russell Shanks on the Cancellation and Future of the EverQuest Franchise

Comments

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

Phry said:

The writing was on the wall a long time ago.
    DBG just doesn't have the people to make a game, by the sounds of things they have trouble maintaining the ones they have running.
    It would not surprise me in the least to see DBG assets sold off further and the company wound down.
    Once SOE parted ways from Sony and changed names, the departure of so many of their core developers, the rather belated removal of Smedley, the DBG train was always going to be heading in one direction and with a very limited amount of track.
    Once Sony's safety net was removed, it was kind of inevitable, as Vulture companies, sorry, investment companies, are all about the money.

I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did while they were SOE. They just came off as a complete mess from the beginning.
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    While I expected this it still is sad to hear. Glad they are still committed to EQ & EQ2.
  • ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    They could see what makes Black Desert so compelling (is it the cross-web of mechanics in the game) and use similar functions in the future for EQ. Even take from Vanguard's systems that people loved.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    These a-holes could have told us right away that the game would never see another line of code after they took over.
    Would have spared us a year of speculation and hoping for good news.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Daybreak is a joke, the only thing they are going to push is cheap POS mobile games.  Anyone still hoping they will some day produce a MMO is delusional.

So we are stuck with these half assed Asian MMO's and hoping that some indie studio gets lucky.

Right now there is not much hope for the genre.
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    I'm glad. EQN was an abomination of the Everquest franchise, hated the direction.
    I will settle for nice new game engines and reboots of eq1 and eq2. Never happening, but one can dream!
  • collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    It's about time. Now all of you fanboys insisting EQN isn't vaporware can just stop. It's dead.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    honestly most of us dont give a fuck because we didnt play eq1 or eq2 to fullest or just barely scrateched the survace before jumping to the next big mmo.

EQN cancelled? who cares.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sorry but i don't believe anything these guys say.
    When they told us they were all about community right after firing the community staff,i knew right then and there ,these guys are BS'rs.

Now their focus is on H1Z1? LMAO this has been their only cash cow,but it is rubbish and all anyone plays is BR.They claim they are trying to launch the game....wtf,it has been launched for over a year now.Nothing as far as game play has changed over that entire year,a few more assets were added but nothing else.

If they are putting all their focus in H1Z1 ,just how small is this team,all i see is what would take 3-4 people a cake walk over the last year.I can't believe this is the same team that pulled off EQ and EQ2,although even in those two games i saw a lot of cheat corner cutting in game design.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Ahh we saw it coming, but it still was sad news.
  • trouser03trouser03 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    What a crap company SOE/Daybreak. This has to be by far the biggest FAIL in the history or MMO's, probably even video games in general. Being a longtime EQ1 fan and Vanguard player, it's become the norm to watch this developer mis-manage and NEVER deliver on what they say. This is the nail in the coffin for the entire EQ brand. Fuking morons ... amateurs. It's like NASA announcing we're going to travel to another galaxy in 10 years and not being sure how to make the tech work. You shouldn't be allowed to be a game developer Daybreak!
  • yilayila Member UncommonPosts: 29
    PANTHEON RISE OF THE FALLEN is our only hope now. Brad you just hit the jackpot. incoming waves of support. And the funny thing about this is they have a live feed of the game tonight which is more than what soe or daybreak ever showed us on EQ Next.
  • BlinkennBlinkenn Member UncommonPosts: 166
    edited March 2016
    Bunch of blah answers from a guy who obviously has no passion for MMOs
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Daikuru said:
    Im not surprised.
    To no ones surprise really, if they know how to read the early warning signs.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I don't think this news is going to be a shock to very many people.  Perhaps the few who kept repeating that EQNext was the crown jewel of the SOE purchase or that the silence (black boxing) of development for the last year or two was somehow a good thing. 

While EQNext sounded amazing in concept, this is probably for the best.  The design was unrealistically ambitious for the team working on it and a few too many popular ideas from other games cramming into one to make a cohesive delivery. 

Maybe a decent game can be cobbled together from the decent pieces of the game.  Though it doesn't appear that Columbus Nova is interested in developing any MMO that has not already released.

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Sad news.

Was the only game recently that really did try to make something looking forward rather then backwards. 

I was so looking forward to this game. 

Then the news that DG and a lot of other development staff had gone, I was crestfallen for a few weeks at that point. Always hoped but damn this is bad news for MMORPG's.
  • TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208
    And John Smedley's Legacy writes another chapter. lol.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    That my friends is the dethknell of Daybreak and possibly the previous two Everquest games. This will be the end of an era.
  • XclenXclen Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I dont know how many times I have to say it, you people are all saying their name wrong.. its pronounced, "They Break Games". Please get it right from now on. Thank you.
  • nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    edited March 2016
    Daybreak Games Is going to be the death of Sony games... They're slowly killing off all the games they own. Saw this the day they fired most of the makers of this game.
  • NokksonwoodNokksonwood Member UncommonPosts: 91
    bugger ;(
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Anyone who was shocked by this or considered this 'news' is either completely blind to the obvious writing on the wall or an incredible optimist.
  • NokksonwoodNokksonwood Member UncommonPosts: 91
    ;(
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

yila said:

PANTHEON RISE OF THE FALLEN is our only hope now..

To bad that game looks like it will play like arse from my pov. It has nothing of what i was looking forward to in EQ:N

But yeah... six years in development and still nothing to show. Closing it was the logical way to go. Now i only hope others can pick up on the ideas. Because as much as i like to and as much hubris as i have... I do not have the funds or ability to build a MMO with dynamic AI and a multi tier destructible world.

This have been a good conversation

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Daikuru said:

Im not surprised.

Everybody could see this coming.

Investment company buys ailing gaming company (SOE), lays off majority of it's staff, and no news of any development is being released for a year.

It's what they do, buy companies in trouble, trim the fat and make a profit, then sell them furter and move on.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"