Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A new fish in the bucket

burrekburrek Member Posts: 198

I just ordered my copy of EQ2 yesterday.

I'm rather excited about it since I've been hearing lot's of good things about EQ2.

I played the beta but I found it hardly playable (although I tried my best to play and enjoy it) since my PC at the time was 1ghz athlon, 384 RAM, and GeF4200. Another thing that put me off was the sterility of the world, I can't really explain but the game was just a game (and MMOs are often much more than that).... even with all the voice overs. I'm hoping that all the things that changed since last I tried this game have brought it to life. 

I was slowly upgrading my old junk box so now it sports a 2.7ghz, 1gig ram, and GeF6400 GT so I'm hoping this will make the game both plabable and great looking.

One thing I'm worried about is that the copy I ordered from some obscure retailer said that the box had 2 CDs in it. Does the whole of EQ2 fit on 2 CDs or are those DVDs? If they are DVDs I'll have to buy myself a DVD player for my pc.... unless it's possible to download the client from the net.

I also bought Guild Wars recently and I'm hoping to play both of the games at the same time, Guild Warts with it's great PvP and short and engaging story (and for FREE!), and EQ with it's strong community and persistant world, thus filling my gaming needs like sweet jelly in a donut (and no, I'm not a donut).

Here is another little question I have: I will join one of the RP servers. Which server/city would you recommend for a better RP experience?

I often find it annyoing when people try to help you but all they do is spoil the exploration for you (I used to do that myself back when I was un-enlightened of how much fun RP and solid immersion can be) so I'm hoping to find a place where the people respect your immersion and stay in RP mode at all times, when it comes to grouping and random encounters.

(Speaking of solid RP: Yesterday I was playing guild wars late in the night and I ran into this elementalist who agreed to join me on a mission since I brashly asked for her help. Since it was one of the first missions and it was my second play through of the game I tried to keep myself much intuned with what happened (I even used a naughty trick where I conversed with scripted NPC shouts since I knew what and when he will say, muahahaha, that was fun). After that she introduced me to 2 of her friends and I had some of the best RP in many months by incorporating what I already knew will happen in the mission we were to undertake into our dialog. Unforutantly when it was like... ohh 6Am I was rather exhausted so I had to quit and commenting on me general state of sleepyheadedness I found out they were all getting ready to eat lunch since they lived in Asia.... ehem the point of this story is... that RP can be alot of fun if you know exactly what will happen ...)

I'm really yearning for a community that supports strong RP since after playing GW for a month I'm really sick of the grotesque behavior many gamers engage in while online.

Thanks!

Comments

• SaigonshakesSaigonshakes Member Posts: 937

The game is going to look and feel WAY better on your new box. Playing the game on a crappy system just really kills the experience imo. I'm almost certain the one with 2 discs is the DVD set. I know the CD set comes with 10 so yeah.

Not sure what RP servers are good. Hopefully someone else can help you out with that one.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

You are gonna notice a dramatic difference once you get that new box going. I think you will be rather happy with how you perform and the level of visual appeal you will get.

The community is real good. I can't say I have ever had a problem with anyone I have run into. However most that I have run into don't roleplay. They just play their character, and thats a big difference over roleplay to me. Its a pretty mature playerbase though.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• LordVanidorLordVanidor Member UncommonPosts: 70

In my opinion, I've never been satisfied with the framerate of EQ2 and I'm on a AMD 3400 64bit processor with an ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256mb card and 1gig of ram. The world always felt sterile to me as well, even on high settings. Its a world design thing. Its still worth about a month of fun though.

• SaigonshakesSaigonshakes Member Posts: 937

That might be because you were playing on high settings with a 9800. I would expect some fremrate issues. Maybe even a little on balanced as well.

Originally posted by LordVanidor
    In my opinion, I've never been satisfied with the framerate of EQ2 and I'm on a AMD 3400 64bit processor with an ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256mb card and 1gig of ram. The world always felt sterile to me as well, even on high settings. Its a world design thing. Its still worth about a month of fun though.

Honestly I have to question this to even be truthful. 9800 running high settings? I highly doubt it. Smells like a troll post to me. Sterile, I have to question wether you ever even played.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Saigonshakes
    That might be because you were playing on high settings with a 9800. I would expect some fremrate issues. Maybe even a little on balanced as well.

I have a 6800 GT and I don't even try to run high settings. As soon as you turn enviroment shadows on you can watch your performance skreech to a halt.

- Scaris

• burrekburrek Member Posts: 198
    ... Ohh well, thanks for the info. Now I'll have to shell out another $50 for a new DVD rom drive... or maybe I can steal the one from my PC at work for a day so that I can install the game.
  • anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Antonia Bayle is the most populated RP server (at least it was a month ago) and you will find a great RP community and a great Non RP one there too.

That's one thing I had forgotten thats so good about RP. When poeple stay in RP mode they don't spoil things like they do when they say 'oh that, yeah just keep going straight and skip the side parts they arent worth it they suck!' or something like that hehe.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by burrek
    ... Ohh well, thanks for the info. Now I'll have to shell out another $50 for a new DVD rom drive... or maybe I can steal the one from my PC at work for a day so that I can install the game.

HEHE I did too but the DvD drive is SOO worth it! Make sure yours comes bundled with player software. So not only do you get to watch dvd's when you want, but you will not believe how FAST EQ2 installs from the DVD's. CD's takes like half hour, dvd's like 5 minutes!