Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This build or this PC pls and why!

odinswillodinswill Member UncommonPosts: 11
http://www.ldlc.ch/b-69dfb359b993806c.html 

or this :

http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00118650.html

Hi all, would like your honest opinion on these two, which is best and why? I don't know much, so any info would be great!

Comments

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited March 2016
    Since both links are in French I'm not quite sure I could understand the details but I would pick the first one. Please note the following though:

Compared to the other configuration it lacks optical drive (DVD), HDD storage and Windows license.

BeQuet! products represent outstanding quality, performance and they are all very "silent" and reliable compared to the majority of similar products. Due to its mounting mechanism installing such a CPU cooler properly without causing any physical damage to the motherboard or CPU might cause some difficulties to many who have no experience in building PCs. You have to be really careful with that. I've installed several BeQuiet! CPU coolers and sometimes I had a hard time not with this specific product but with their larger and much heavier product range. Installation order might depend on wether your PC case's motherboard tray has a proper opening below the CPU socket so that you can mount the cooler after you put the mobo in place. Otherwise you have to mount the CPU cooler before you screw the motherboard into the case. According to the width of the case of your choice your CPU cooler fits into it with 5mm left to the side panel. I would just contact customer support to double check that due to really close dimension values of both products.

You also might want to make sure that your power supply's 8-pin 12V P4 ATX cable is long enough to reach the socket on your motherboard. Your PSU will be mounted into the bottom part of the case while the socket might be way up high. That might cause the power cable to be stressed if it's not long enough. There are 8-pin power extension cables to solve this problem if you need any.

The performance of builds with Skylake Intel CPUs scale pretty well with RAM speed so you might want to pick the fastest RAM you can afford. Of course you have to make sure your motherboard supports the ones you pick and never go for a single module but two identical ones to provide dual channel performance.

The lack of optical drive is not an issue since you can install any operating systems from a USB stick.
    You might want to put an HDD into that build though.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    rertez said:
    The performance of builds with Skylake Intel CPUs scale pretty well with RAM speed so you might want to pick the fastest RAM you can afford. Of course you have to make sure your motherboard supports the ones you pick and never go for a single module but two identical ones to provide dual channel performance.
    It doesn't.

After spending dozens of hours benchmarking ten different memory speeds on the Intel Z170 + Skylake platform we must admit that we are too shocked by the findings. Our benchmarks show that the memory bandwidth increased, but there wasn’t a tangible improvement in system performance with real applications. We ran other applications and game titles when we tested this memory kit and you mostly ended up with flat performance charts like you saw in Handbrake or any of the game titles that we tested today.

http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-memory-scaling-intel-z170-finding-the-best-ddr4-memory-kit-speed_170340/5

iirc, it was only one site (eurogamer?) reporting some significant gains but no other website got even remotely similar results, thus it is likely their tests have been somehow flawed.
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    How convenient that they only tested the gains in average framerates and not minimum framerates. Look at the first comment on the website u linked, THU31 explicitly calls them out of the same thing i've been saying for weeks now, ...

Going from 2133Mhz to 2666Mhz shows a significant upper single digit difference in minimum fps in a vast majority of games.

The link u linked to disprove something, proves it instead, it's ironic and hilarious at the same time, ...
    edited March 2016
    Do you know what is even more convenient?

To rely on single test out there or even better, not to provide any tests at all and just talk out of your ***.

Funnily enough, eurogamer did not provide minimum frame rates either, they also used average FPS.
    Gdemami said:
    Do you know what is even more convenient?

To rely on single test out there or even better, not to provide any tests at all.
    Well many including myself came to the conclusion that RAM speed matters in Skylake configurations.
    Of course it depends on what GPU you have and what games you wanna play but generally I would aggree with the video linked below.

edited March 2016
    rertez said:
    Well many including myself came to the conclusion that RAM speed matters in Skylake configurations.
    Of course it depends on what GPU you have and what games you wanna play but generally I would aggree with the video linked below.

Yes, that is the only test out there I was talking about. No other site was getting any way near similar results.
    Gdemami said:
    rertez said:

Yes, that is the only test out there I was talking about. No other site was getting any way near similar results.
    I did the same tests myself with Witcher 3 with different RAM speeds and I can tell you that the comparison above is legit. Sometimes I was able to achieve up to 15-20% FPS gain with faster RAM depending on the complexity of the rendered scene and that is something I call impressive from a fairly cheap upgrade.
    rertez said:
    I did the same tests myself with Witcher 3 with different RAM speeds and I can tell you that the comparison above is legit. Sometimes I was able to achieve up to 15-20% FPS gain with faster RAM depending on the complexity of the rendered scene and that is something I call impressive from a fairly cheap upgrade.
    Yeah, worked for you but no other site doing the benchmarks....true story.
    edited March 2016
    Gdemami said:
    rertez said:
    Yeah, worked for you but no other site doing the benchmarks....true story.
    So you read benchmarks and deny those who believe their own experiences and not some fancy charts.
    Regardless of how our personal experiences may differ on this subject one thing we can aggree on and that is faster RAM doesn't make your overall Skylake based build's performance worse regardless of what GPU, drivers, game/version etc. you have. So why not use faster ones then if one can afford to buy higher clock speed ones? Yes it's not granted that any of the configurations out there would benefit from faster RAMs alone but you might have a better experience if you pick faster components. I wasn't aware of the fact that a lot of you had no performance gain from higher RAM speeds in Skylake based PCs so I just shared my oppinion based on what I saw on a specific rig.

Edit: Please note that many seem to use GTA V as a gaming benchmark exclusively and that's just bad for obvious reasons. Sure it's a popular game but seems to be an unreliable tool for benchmarks. That game as a PC port has proven to show some unpredictable results with different configurations regardless of CPU performance. It seems to scale well with GPU in most cases though but there are many examples when it fails as a benchmark tool.
    Post edited by rertez on
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Not that I doubt your results, I'm just interested in seeing accurate data.

Would you mind running that test a handful of times, just to make sure there isn't something like server load or time of day or something affecting the results?

If it's a pain in the butt no worries, I'm just curious how it averages out - if it stays a consistent 15% or not. It's not something I would have expected, but won't turn away hard real world data either.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited March 2016

memory matters. Getting 2666 or 2800 for few $$ more is recommended.

Same with DDR3. 2133 is a good idea.